• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Castlevania - Immortality, Regenerationn and their Negation Revision

Greetings, VSDebater

I'm here today to talk about Castlevania's Regenerationn, Regenerationn Negation and Immortality, and its problems, obvisouly, this is a CRT so it has problems

This will be separated in tabs to make sure everything is clear and organized

Currently, our Castlevania Characters (and I say that, I mean ALL of them [Yeah, sounds wrong right ? I'll get on this soon]), are listed on being capaple of negation Mid Godly Regneration and Immortality Types 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. First and for most, it shouldn't scale to absolutely everyone on the verse, and even after that, they are both wrong. Some of these Immortalities are not negated viakilling the target, and we can see that just by looking at its description:

1: Eternal Life: Characters gifted with this type of immortality cannot die from natural causes, such as old age or conventional illness, but can be killed by unnatural causes. To clarify, this type of immortality can include both those who do not age at all, and those who still grow old, but will never die of old age. However, in the case of the latter it should be made clear that this is not just Longevity, as characters with that ability will eventually die of old age, as opposed to Eternal Life, for which dying of old age is not possible.

So what,they can make them Age ? They have Age Hax ? Nope, Type 1 Immortality is indeed one of Drac's abilities but killing someone with said Immortality doesn't give you Type 1 Immortality Negation, anyone can do that, this one only covers dying from old age, so it should be removed from their Immortality Negation "pack"

3: Immortality via Regenerationn: Characters with this type of immortality can simply regenerate from wounds that would normally be lethal, though its effectiveness depends on the degree of the Regenerationn.

They indeed neg this, buuuut only part of them, I'll explain this later

4: Immortality via reincarnation or Resurrection: Characters that are immortal because, whenever they die, they will simply reincarnate within another body or resurrect themselves at a later point in time.

While some times Dracula was resurrected via a ritual done by humans, he came back by himself some other times, so they can't actually negate this or only some people is actually able to, mainly, the ones who killed Dracula and he needed a human ritual to come back

However, this one is tricky because Dracula's resurrection powers is by Chaos, isn't it ? So Type 8 Immortality, not resurrection on his own. The whole rituals and stuff is actually Chaos on the background, "chaos within their hearts" is what explain this, and since Chaos doesn't have issues on doing this, they shouldn't be able to negate

Also, no, they can't "negate for 99 years as Drac comes back after 100", Simon killed him in 1691 and he was coming back in 1740 for Harmony of Dissonance and then again in SOTN, Chaos corruption takes time, that's the explanation

5: Deathless Immortality: Characters who exist unbound by conventional life or death, or do not exist at all, and thus cannot be traditionally killed. Typically, abilities such as Existence Erasure are needed to destroy them.

Unsure about this one, so I'll just leave to discussion. Did they actually killed Death ? If yes, it came back thanks to Type 8 Chaos Resurrection, also, Type 8 covers conceptual existence (Death being...death), so I don't really know why Type 5 is here

Chaos could scale but Soma never killed it

6: Parasitic: The character is able to attain a sort of immortality by abandoning bodies whenever necessary to transfer their consciousness to another body, whether they are possessing someone else or switching to a backup body.

This can be negated before the user transfers his essence to another body, killing him doesn't mean negating this

7: Undead: Characters who cannot die due to technically being already dead, often overlapping with other forms of immortality.

Well, they can kill him so idk, works for this one

8: Reliant Immortality: The character cannot die as long as a certain being, object, or even concept exists.

The most important of them all, the creatures of the night, which even includes Dracula and Death, are creatures derivatives from Chaos, and will eventually return thanks to it, and guess what ? They do, every single game (Minotaur, Death, Medusa Heads, etc). This was explained by Matt in his awesome Castlevania blog

"Chaos is mentioned several times in Castlevania, and it is described as being what both Dracula's castle and Dracula himself are made of, the source of their power. Chaos can be found on the heart of every human, and this Chaos can revive Dracula and the demonic forces."

Considering this, we can't just say the cast negate Type 8 where the very thing happens, Drac comes back, the creatures come back, it takes time, but it happens. There is more explanation to this:

''"We were born out of the chaos in humans. There is no use in understanding each and every individual human being."
"I have not thought of hearing those words coming from someone who has continued to taste pain from that [individual] named Belmont."

Olrox prayed, and instantly a large miasmatic vortex welled up from the ground and an image of a giant skull appeared in the air.

Death avoided a close call while Olrox started happily talking from somewhere.

"I am different from Dracula. I like humans, the emotions of forgotten humans. They are interesting and there is one more desire I wish to understand."

"……"

"If I could control the even heart that is the root of humans……Would the chaos that is born from them no longer exist? I have no interest in tranquility but it could be fun to challenge that."''

The Chaos in the humans heart brings them back, note that this quote comes form a novel that takes place after Dawn of Sorrow, which also shows how Soma didn't killed Chaos, while this could mean they have two Type 8s (Mainly, being alive so long as humanity exists and Chaos exists), the novel only says that the chaos within them is what brings them back, so humanity doesn't actually do something here, the only being behind this, is Chaos, and since it always brings them back, they don't negate Type 8, if so many years to resurrect is an effect done by the heroes, then they can delay, but not negate the process

So basically, not all of those are actually negated, some of them are just wrong by default (Type 1) or doesn't actually gets negated as they still happen. Type 8 usually takes time, so the actual games debunk this one by default

Type 8 goes to Drac's Regenerationn, which is currently listed as Mid Godly, well, about that, let's see the decription on his profile:

Regenerationn (Mid-Godly; Cannot be killed as long as humanity, and the Chaos within their hearts exist. Will reform and revive even if his soul is destroyed and his existence is erased)

This isn't actually right as humanity existing is fine, the problem is the chaos in their heart

Death also has this description: Regenerationn (Mid-Godly, is a creature of Chaos)

Abaddo and Zephyr also have this, but no descripton is given

Well, first I'll would like to see the statements about Drac coming back against those things, sure, Belmonts and Co currently have Soul Hax listed, but not dying to them is Soul Hax Resistance unless more info is given to us, and I don't remember his Soul being destroyed besides Demon Castle War, some people indeed fought against a Weakened Version of Drac which was a spirit-like creature, but hurting souls directly is NPI, and after Dracula was killed in this form, he only came back via Chaos Type 8, his existence being erased is also one thing I'll like to see and even if he can indeed come back, it would be Low Godly, not Mid Godly unless said EE is stated to be able to destroy Body, Mind, Soul and etc. And even with this, if Dracula only came back decades later or something, then it's Chaos Based, actual proof of Regenerationn would be coming back during the fight, which wasn't the case

Also, his Post Demon Castle War feat of coming back is not Regenerationn but Type 4 Immortality, focused on Reincarnation Shenanigans, as his connection to Chaos was sealed via Eclipsing the Castle (lol)

Now, at this point you know that coming back thanks to Chaos isn't Regenerationn, that description actually shows us two examples of Type 8 Immortality:

1 - Not being able to die so long as there is Chaos in their hearts

2 - Not being able because Chaos brings it back

So basically, Chaos existence grants Dracula Immortality, and since he always come back, they don't negate this one. Belmonts, Hector, Dominus and Alucard are indeed capable of killing Dracula, but that is via bypassing his other Immortalities and his Regenerationn, they can't negate Drac's connection to Chaos, since this is what brings Drac back. Demon Castle War also gives this more logic, as they needed to sever his connection to the Castle (And by that, Chaos) to avoid his Resurrection, however they weren't able to avoid his Reincarnation. So Chaos Based Type 8 Immortality is something that can't be negated, and both Alucard and a Belmont (Julius, in that case), were present in the event

This also goes with my proposal on removing this negations from most profiles, Dracula was only killed by a few group of people, not all of them, and to do that, you need to negate his Immortalities (except 8, as it works with time) and Regenerationn

1 - Belmonts and Morris obviously scale

2 - Alucard scales (His Sword and Spear, so Lecardes)

3 - Hector scales

4 - Shanoa via Dominus also scales

5 - Soma scales (?) I'll leave him up to discussion

So Saint Germain, Demons, Maria, Death, people who never fought Dracula, don't negate his Regenerationn or his Immortalities

Note that Sypha and Grant dont't scale as they didn't killed Drac, every description of Trevor says that it was him who killed Drac, not those two, they sure helped on the battle, however, so Regenerationn Negation should be fine. Yoko's case is similar as she was with Julius and Alucard on her possible battle against Dark Lord Soma, and the same goes for Charlotte, as she was with Jonathan who had the Vampire Killer. Now you might be asking yourself, what Regenerationn ? Drac consistently shows some interesting feats of Regenerationn: decapitaion, exploding in pieces and even a mass of blood on Castlevania Chronicles, this is Low High at best. In Castlevania The Adventure, he gets blow up to what appears to be vapor, on 1:10, that's Mid-High, which is pretty good if you ask me, however it could be him turning into mist to avoid attacks, so, actually, Possibly Mid High works

Coming back from Existence Erasure, as listed on his profile, needs more detail but could give him a more advanced Regenerationn, if, of course, was at mid of the battle, not decades, that would fall under Resurrection Via Chaos = Type 8 Immortality

So, we need to change/remove/add these things:

• Characters capable of killing Dracula:
Immortality Negation (Types 3 and 7, capable of killing Dracula, however unable to sever his connection to Chaos)

Regenerationn Negation (At least Low High, possibly Mid-High, capable of successfully hurting Dracula, who can come back from a mass of blood and possibly being reduced to vapor)

List: Leon, Trevor, Alucard, Christopher, Simon, Juste, Richter, Shanoa (Via Dominus only), Jonathan, Julius, Soma (?)

• Characters that fought Dracula, but didn't killed him (This includes Judgement people)
Possibly Regenerationn Negation (At least Low High, possibly Mid-High, likely capable of succesfully hurting Dracula as they assisted in battles against him, who can come back from a mass of blood and possibly being reduced to vapor)

They lose their Immortality Negation, all of them, since they didn't kill Drac, even the Type 8 one, as they can't keep creatures from Chaos permanently killed, as they always come back

List: Sypha, Grant, Yoko and Charlotte

• Characters that fought and defeated Death:
They don't have anything as Death is never truly killed in the series at first, but we need to discuss that, if they are able to kill Death, then they scale

Also, examples of Death's Regenerationn would also be very useful

• Dracula
Loses his Mid Godly Regen as it's just Chaos based resurrection until more feats appear, and gets downgraded to Low High via coming back from blood or higher if he can come back from Existence Erasure mid battle

Regenerationn (At least Low High, possibly Mid High, capable of coming back from decapitation, being blown to pieces, a mass of blood and possibly being reduced to vapor)

• Death, Abaddon and Zephyr
Loses their Mid Godly regen as it's just Chaos based Resurrection, Type 8 Immortality via that

Thanks for the help :)

Now, we need to see how things end with Soma and Type 5 Immortality

I believe it should fully scale to him as he was capable of fighting and defeating Chaos

However I'm still unsure about Type 5

Disagree you freaking downplayer. this looks ok I guess. Don't really know much on the later games to give any rebuttals.

Thanks for the input, Glass and Tony

What I believe is that Type 5 came for Death and Chaos, but if that's the case, it should be a second type of 8, since it relies on concepts, whichisn't exactly what Type 5 covers

Lemme see if I can paste what I said in discord

Is there any feat of someone existing beyond conventional life and death or beyond the concept of death?

Neutral atm. Kinda wondering where Soma would fall in all of this though, considering he's Drac's reincarnation he should be up there probably (Cause same powers and all that)

Think has his feats against Chaos, he scales

Drac, however, would need scalling to Soma in order to be able to negate Regenerationn

Wow, this was a pretty impressive read, and very useful when dealing with Immortality and Regen Negation in other verses as well.

What about Type 2 Immortality, though?

Type 5 is a pretty tricky one unless the lore outright states "death doesn't conventionally apply to this guy". At first I thought Soma could get it by destroying Chaos itself, but you mention that in the novel after Dawn of Sorrow Chaos still lingers. I thought Death would be an example as well, but it makes sense what you say and kinda makes you think Death is never killed but rather defeated and brought back, to put it somehow. Soma taking his soul (that's a weird sentence) may keep Death down for a while but that would be hax, wouldn't it? Also when he released the collected souls he had, Death was back again.

Characters with this degree of immortality can indefinitely survive injuries that would otherwise be lethal to a normal person, without needing to heal.

Type 2 negation would be basically making your attacks lethal, despite the target being capable of surviving said lethal wounds, it's something very specific, and it can be negated via attacks that surpass what the target can survive without Regenerationn or haxes like Death Manipulation, Immortality Type 2 Negation is similar to 3, depending on the damage, the Immortality will be useless. It also depends on how much damage you can survive without needing to heal, similar to Type 3 where its effectiveness depends on the Regen level

Well, indeed, Type 5 is tricky

By going to the verse rules, Death is second to Chaos, and it's part of its being, being resurrected via the Chaos within humans heart, so, if it is resurrected, then it can die, coming back thanks to Type 8 Immortality

This could mean that Death has Type 5, and the cast can negate it by killing Death, but the fact that Death is a facet, a form of manifestation of Chaos, kind of demotes it to something secondary, what in fact transcends death is Chaos, since the very concept of Death is born from it, however its embodiment doesn't have said level of existence

And of course, they don't negate Type 5 since killing Chaos never was a thing in the series

Chaos is the only one that can be said to have type 5 inmortality and going by what you said above he is still around by the time of the novel, meaning Soma didn't kill him or rather couldn't kill him and tbh it's very obvious he still exists with just looking at Dawn of Sorrow since all the powers Soma has and those demon comes from Chaos, so, duhhh

I see, so Type 5 is indeed not included. Kinda thought so. It's hard to have a clear cut example of it, unless there's open acknowledgement that a character has it in one way or another.

I mean, the page makes very explicit what you need: to be unbound by conventional life/death or to be non existent and both are easy to get, specially in a verse like Castlevania that has years worth of material

Being unbound by conventional life/death makes sense for the embodiment of Death, however in Castlevania there is a concept beyond that, so I dunno, the fact that Death is reliant on the Chaos on humans heart makes me believe that it doesn't have such level of existence

Type 5 for Chaos, however, is pretty much a given

>Being unbound by conventional life/death makes sense for the embodiment of Death

Being the embodiment of death =/= being unbound by conventional life/death tho

Ahhh, makes sense.

So, to summarise:

• Everyone and their mother losses Mid Godly
  • Everyone gets type 8 on Chaos
  • Everyone losses Immortality negation Types 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
  • Everyone losses inmortality type 2, 4, 5, 6
  • The best regen feat is likely Mid-High
Is that all?

They still have the Immortalities (besides 4, because it is actually 8, and 5), as I said, some of them are there, however killing the wielders doesn't mean negating them as those immortalities have natural limits

Tony di bugalu said:
I mean, the page makes very explicit what you need: to be unbound by conventional life/death or to be non existent and both are easy to get, specially in a verse like Castlevania that has years worth of material
It is? O_O Well, the definition is clear, but knowing when a character is unbound by conventional life and death maybe easy to make a mistake on without the lore being explicit on it. Or perhaps it's simpler than I thin and it's just my lack of familiarity with it. I didn't know about applying to Non-Existent beings, that's a good thing to keep in mind, thanks for the heads up.

@Dante: Yeah, Chaos seems to fully fulfill Type 5, but as Tony also mentioned, he was never destroyed to begin with, so it can't be applied to anything else.

So one question: what about Dracula's Wraith in Harmony of Dissonance? I could be wrong but, IIRC he was a revenant of sorts fighting Juste and made himself that grotesque body mass of flesh when he realized Juste had his remains with him.

Yeap, only Chaos has it, scales to nobody, and nobody negates it, as Chaos never was killed in the series

Well, since Glass and Medeus are fine with, I'll add the stuff

Strongly disagree with removing Midgodly negen and immortality negen, Alucard, Julius, Yoko already displayed that they are capable of killing monsters who are connected to the Abyss who would just come back hence Soma needing a seal, this should backwardsscale to all other characters since the demons in DoS are just regular demons characters can fight regularly

Also them coming back through Chaos was specifically mentioned as "Regenerationn" in DoS, recurring bosses get vaporized/erased and in some cases absorbed like Death in PoR through soul steal and can come back either way hence Mid-Godly, characters being able to destroy both the soul and the body also ties into this through poltergeist, azhagal, nemesis, quija table, armor enemies etc.

Hmmm I'm leaning on LigthinAnt there, though I gotta wonder if others like Grant and Sypha can do the same. I'd reason its possible for Sypha considering Yoko can do it.

First, even if we take the fact that the Seal is unnecessary to them, Chaos monsters come back via Type 8 Immortality, not Mid Godly Regenerationn

This is literally explained on the CRT

Second, Soma needing the Seal while the heroes don't is just gameplay mech, their gameplay is an extra mode which is always simplified, take Richter in SOTN not needing any of those itens as an example, or Trevor in Curse of Darkness also passing through without the need of puzzles and other stuff. And even after this, the monsters are back for the Novel that takes place after Dawn of Sorrow, so they didn't negated anything

If you take a quick look at Julius Mode, you'll see that when you kill bosses, they still have the Seal Animation, they still get sucked into the seal, you just don't need to do the puzze part

Also lol no, regular demons or not, they came back after the rest of the cast killed them, we don't scale things that easy without anything to support it

Third, attacking the Soul is Soul Manipulation, not Regenerationn Negation, but yes it's useful against Low Godly, if the target don't resist, and still there on the profiles, Dracula's wraith is his Soul, attacking it is Non Physical Interaction

Attacking both body and Soul is Soul Hax as we discussed in the previous CRT, also accepted by Medeus and Glass

My bad, I was referring to Dracula's Wraith capability to exist as a simple soul and reform a body rather than the Belmont's Immortality and Regen Negation, I didn't express myself properly.

However, taking a better look at Harmony, all Dracula could do was to possess others and still needed his remains, brought by Juste, to manifest himself without Maxim (which in his own words was still an unstable state), so it doesn't seem to lead to much anyways. Additionally, existing as a soul isn't really regen worthy by itself, is it?

Manifesting as a Soul is indeed an interesting feat, but to be a Regenerationn feat, ge should be able to reform his body from his Soul without his parts or any help at all, which, as you said, didn't happened

However, surviving losing your body and keep alive without needing to regenerate is Type 2 Immortality, surviving wounds without needing to heal, which Dracula already has

Edit: Wait a min, he doesn't, I'll add this in my next CRT, don't worry

The very reason characters like Dracula have Mid-Godly and Type 8 is because nobody can permanently kill him so why the hell are people gaining the ability to negate his immortality.

I could be wrong, but wasn't the reason Julius could end Dracula's cycle of coming back, and the reason he reincarnated as Soma, because the Castle was sealed away in the eclypse by the Hakuba clan more or less severing his power source?

Theglassman12 said:
because characters like Julius can end his cycle of reincarnation?
Via the whole events of Demon Castle War

Sealing the Castle in the Eclipse, severing the connection between him and Chaos, this stuff

Julius didn't did it alone

Back