• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Bowser Has Fury!! - Finally Adding Abilities from Bowser's Fury

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been too long now, literally almost a year since the release of the game and yet we still haven't added a key or any abilities from the game to the profiles yet. That simply has to change.

First and foremost, there's the big and obvious:

Mind Manipulation and Corruption - The residents of Lake Lapcat are stated to become "ferocious" and "go berserk" when Fury Bowser corrupts the land.

かわいらしいネコたちも凶暴になり、
一斉にマリオに襲い掛かってきます。

"凶暴" is the kanji for "ferocious"

凶暴になったネコ

This is what the cats are called in the Japanese guidebook when corrupted according to references found on the Mario Wiki. Again, we have that kanji so it's definitely corroborated by official sources.

I could also probably find the various other translations from other languages and their official sites which iirc say stuff like them being corrupted and turning evil and whatnot and becoming furious. This is a clear example of Empathic Manipulation and likely Morality and Madness Manipulation as well which all fall under Mind Manipulation and can also fall under Corruption as well. I know this wiki doesn't like clutter but I thought I'd mention those anyway.

For those who don't know, Black Paint is revealed to be the cause of Bowser mutating and transforming into Fury Bowser..This is rather explicit mind manipulation and corruption. It's important to make a distinction because mind manipulation covers the possessive abilities of black paint and it's ability to affect the mental states of people such as Bowser and the Cats, but corruption covers the environmental effects and damage such as the ferrofluid-like substance that starts to appear over the land, the raging thunderstorm and lava shower, and how lighthouses and Giga Bells that are normally a source of Purification and also have sentience get covered in goop again and become inactive. Corruption covers a lot of the mental affects the ability tends to have as well as some biological manipulation as well, since it can slightly mutate the forms of Bowser and the Cats (making Bowser larger, giving him different features, making the cat's fangs more pronounced and their fur spiky). Both of these things are passive abilities since simply awakening as Fury Bowser causes all of this.

I'm not sure what all we can list separately from Corruption and Mind Manipulation, but Bowser creates a storm that spans the horizon instantly and corrupts the landscape, though many official sources say the world itself changes.

"The world completely changes..."

"completely changes" makes me believe it's talking about the entirety of the world here.

This "world" refers to the fact Bowser's Fury takes places in the World of Cats.

"Explore a seamless feline world in the new Bowser’s Fury adventure" From the English Website

Official statement that you "explore the mysterious world of cats"

The official Japanese site even says Mario enters the world through the paint portal. I believe this is evidence it's a separate place from the main world, and in saying that one commonly thinks of the planet for "world" in this instance. I could say you can make an argument for the entire dimension but that's probably taking things too far and doesn't have much evidence. Yes, "Worlds" are often used to describe levels that are barely even a city's length, but to compare a singular "world" to the assumed main world and pointing out the difference that EVERYTHING is cat-themed, even the Sun of that world, indicates to me that this isn't Earth and so "world" is meant to be in a planetary sense at least. Also, we literally open up the game with a shot of the Sun and there are no cat ears present, effectively proving at the least that Mario is on a different planet with a different sun. So yeah, planetary range seems fine to me. I'm curious what kind of arguments there could be against it.

But if for some reason people still find this unusable, the Japanese site says that there is a country of cats, so at VERY least country-wide range.

Also worth noting that Fury Bowser kept growing and growing in power with each defeat, eventually getting to a point where even the Cat Shines couldn't fend him off anymore. Similarly, Lighthouses and Bells, despite having met numerical requirement of Cat Shines to be able to free themselves of the goop and dispel the corruption in the landscape will get corrupted again after Fury Bowser's consecutive awakenings, showing his power progressing from the fact he can still affect these things that were able to repel him before. It gets so bad that the number of Cat Shines needed after each battle requires a gradually increasing amount of Cat Shines in order to fully combat Fury Bowser and attempt to cleanse him. Pretty sure this is Accelerated Development and maybe even Reactive Power Level and Reactive Evolution since the Cat Shines, Lighthouses, and Giga Bells are like sacred things that are able to cleanse the world and purify with their light, and Bowser and the black paint are affected by this greatly at first, but over time the scales tip and Bowser is able to grow a stronger resistance to the point where the Giga Bells are absolutely needed to beat him, and even when you do cleanse him, you find out he's still able to keep up the Fury Bowser abilities as Giant Bowser and he seals the Giga Bells away in a barrier, meaning just one Giga Bell wasn't enough, and the final blow that makes him fully revert requires all three. But even despite the main objective and power of the Giga Bells being purification and quelling anger Bowser is STILL angry even after all of that, lowered significantly and at a manageable level, but still hostile.

Now, lastly, the black paint has been shown to null literally any power-up by causing damage to Mario regardless of if he has the invincibility items in the game. Just for reference, these items suffer no damage from Fury Bowser's attacks but if you so much as touch the black paint (same goes for touching Bowser with the black paint on him) you take damage even if you have the invincibility items. This could be attributed to game mechanics I guess but the fact the Giga Bells allow you to rummage through the black paint unharmed makes me think it might've been intentional. Worth a thought. This would probably be Durability Negation and potential Power Nullification for anything other than Giga Bells due to their powerful Purification abilities. I should also note that if the black paint was simply a game mechanic like lava and falling into pits, Mario would be insta killed, and sure enough, even with invincibility Mario instantly dies in this game's lava. So I believe that's a great distinction that separates it from the usual game mechanic deaths.

I think that's everything. If there's any more potential abilities or something you think would better fit in place of another ability feel free to add your thoughts.

To summarize: As Giant Bowser, Bowser gets Planetary Range for Weather Manipulation (Sustained the storm that effected the entirety of the cat world even after he was cleansed of the Black Paint, and official sources state the world changed completely when Bowser awakened), a more concentrated fire breath that acts like a laser and more generally enhanced fire breath abilities, the ability to control the spikes on his back and eject them from his shell and grow new ones, and make lava rain down from the sky.

As Fury Bowser, Bowser gets Large Size (Type 1) Passive Mind Manipulation, Weather Manipulation and Corruption on a likely planetary scale as well as Accelerated Development and possible Reactive Power Level, and Reactive Evolution (Passively corrupted the citizens of Lake Lapcat and made the normally peaceful and benevolent inhabitants go berserk and become ferocious just like him; corrupted the Lighthouses and Giga Bells continuously and made them require more and more Cat Shines to be able to fend him off, with canon acknowledgement he grew too strong and furious to be pacified and defeated with any amount of Cat Shines that previously warded him off and harmed him, needing a Giga Bell to defeat him, but even that didn't work and he was able to sustain everything after being cleansed of paint and needed all three Giga Bells for him to finally be put down), Sealing (by spreading his black paint around the lake he was able to seal away entire islands which rise up from the water upon the paint being vanquished), possibly Durability Negation/Power Nullification (Black Paint reverts Mario back to Base and damages him even if he has invincibility power-ups activated, with the one exception being people under the effects of the Giga Bell), Creation (Fury Bowser's appearance causes certain platforms to appear and rise from the water as well as spawn floating golden islands that will appear in random places that all disappear when Fury Bowser sleeps) and Resistance to Purification (Grew a resistance to the Cat Shine's effects and even was able to basically ignore the Giga Bell Mario used to finally cleanse him of all the black paint to sustain his Fury), Levitation as the Fury Sun.

Should be noted these abilities of Fury Bowser can potentially be applied to Base as well, since Giant Bowser (that he can achieve in base) was able to sustain everything even after the paint got cleansed, showing that Bowser's regular body had adapted to the form and it's abilities similar to Goku after attaining his God form for the first time. The only truly paint specific ability would be the dura neg/power null if accepted.

Black Paint would get Corruption, Power Mimicry and Shapeshifting (Via Fury Shadows which take the form of a character and mimic their movements), Adhesive Manipulation (Slows Giga Cat Mario and Giga Mario in general and lessens jumping ability), Sealing, Portal Creation, and potential Durability Negation/Power Nullification

Fury Shadows would get Body Control, Inorganic Physiology, Levitation (in their ball of goop form), and potentially some form of Immortality via Resurrection as long as there's black paint around to produce them since they have multiple missions where they keep coming back.

Let's hope this doesn't get toxic. I don't think it should cause most of these seem pretty blatant.

Agree - 7 (@GyroNutz @Lou_change @TyranoDoom30 @Apex_PredatorX @DarkDragonMedeus @y3p_owo @FoxySonicMaster108 )

Neutral - 1 (@DarkDragonMedeus*)

*DDM is only really Neutral about the Planetary Range but agrees with the rest of the proposals

Disagree -

Last edited:
Al these abilities look fine, though I was unaware of the different dimension thing and simply knew of it taking place in Lake Lapcat. I'm not 100% certain on planetary range so going to be neutral. But as said above, all of these abilities should be fine IMO.

Alright, cool. Bumping this to hopefully get more attention.

I genuinely believe Planetary range is fine due to the statements of the world completely changing. I feel like if this was just the country being effected they would say "the land" or "the lake" but no, they explicitly say "world" like, every time as well as the added on "completely" which implies the entirety of it, and the fact it takes place in a different planet and/or dimension makes me think "world" refers to the planet even more.

Worth noting Bowser already has Universal Corruption on his profile in Base via Mario Party 5. If it doesn't say universal then we should probably edit that because dreams are definitely universes so why would his range with the ability be any less than that? Hell, you could argue his range may even go larger than that due to the nature of the Dream Depot but that's for another discussion.

So him having planetary range is nothing as he already has it and more for several abilities. If anything, Fury Bowser is contextually treated as more powerful and by statements from the websites Bowser "at his biggest and baddest" and should definitely scale above normal Base abilities in that aspect. But even then, as I've stated, Bowser was able to sustain the abilities as Giant Bowser, a form easily obtainable in Base, so if anything Bowser should probably be noted to have a likely higher added for any abilities shared with Fury Bowser in Base as we don't know if he's necessarily more powerful than Fury Bowser in those abilities, but has definitely at least strengthened those to the point it's comparable to Fury Bowser. With Accelerated Development and the other two abilities we may even have to do what we do for others with that power and make separate keys from now on, because Giant Bowser already had precedence for Accelerated Development via Lubba's statements in Galaxy 2. In spite of Bowser always owning 1 Grand Star contextually he became a tougher challenge each time, and Mario was always Base so he had to grow as well which means after Galaxy 2 Bowser had to fight this stronger Mario thus making his Base stronger than it used to be as well.

Oh that's true. I forgot. Yeah even Giga Bell Mario is effected by Black Paint in that manner. I'll add that to the OP

There's also a few calcs we could probably do for LS via the spikes you can lift and throw and then adding that weight to how many spikes protrude from Bowser for a low estimate of his weight which would scale to both Giga Mario and Fury Bowser for being able to knock each other back.

Also, should I add Sealing for the Black Paint sealing away entire islands that rise up from the water when the goop is cleared?

Added to the OP. I'll try to find the gameplay stuff for the Invincibility power-ups. I know I've seen them before but I can't remember which videos had it

Edited the OP to have a link for the invincible power-ups being nullified and being damaged like regular finally.

Bump.

Should I add a Resistance to Purification with Fury Bowser due to showing a strong resistance to the Cat Shines and Giga Bell's effects, being able to sustain his Fury even when the black paint that initiated the Fury Bowser form washed off?

Hmm. Curious if these could be potential abilities.

Fury Bowser will have structures arise from the ground made of a similar material to the spikes he can create. Some of these spikes and platforms can be gold and produce coins. Anything that that appeared during hisramoag will disappear with him. The spikes he creates don't seem like bone or anything they seem metallic which is supported by the golden ones that can appear. Bowser literally produces these.

Also reading up on it Fury Bowser might be able to get Chaos Manipulation applied as well.

Also he's able to gain his health back and the Giga Bell's won't respawn endlessly in the later fights with the white hair.

He should also probably get levitation as the Fury Sun.

Apparently Bowser Jr. is also able to harm Fury Bowser when he's on his back too.

Last edited:
I wonder if we'll be able to get a good judgement on their Lifting Strength in these forms. Mario can hold the spikes that are larger than some areas of land and are about as big as him in the Giga Cat Mario form. I wonder if it'll be provably better than their base LS. I mean, logically it should upscale immensely but I'm curious if we could get an increase to the number. And a reminder that whatever number a single spike gets should apply like 10x over since Fury Bowser has a good amount on his back and would be worthy of an At least rating

As Giant Bowser, Bowser gets Planetary Range for Weather Manipulation (Sustained the storm that effected the entirety of the cat world even after he was cleansed of the Black Paint, and official sources state the world changed completely when Bowser awakened), a more concentrated fire breath that acts like a laser and more generally enhanced fire breath abilities, the ability to control the spikes on his back and eject them from his shell and grow new ones, and make lava rain down from the sky.
Planetary ranged Weather Manipulation is fine with me, along with enhanced fire breath. Spikes stuff is Body Control and maybe some level of Regeneration (though Bowser already has better regen feats)

As Fury Bowser, Bowser gets Passive Mind Manipulation and Corruption on a likely planetary scale as well as Accelerated Development and possible Reactive Power Level, and Reactive Evolution (Passively corrupted the citizens of Lake Lapcat and made the normally peaceful and benevolent inhabitants go berserk and become ferocious just like him; corrupted the Lighthouses and Giga Bells continuously and made them require more and more Cat Shines to be able to fend him off, with canon acknowledgement he grew too strong and furious to be pacified and defeated with any amount of Cat Shines that previously warded him off and harmed him, needing a Giga Bell to defeat him, but even that didn't work and he was able to sustain everything after being cleansed of paint and needed all three Giga Bells for him to finally be put down), Sealing (snip), possibly Durability Negation/Power Nullification (snip), and Resistance to Purification (snip)
Passive Corruption covers both areas, it's a more specific subset of Mind Manipulation in the former case so it's redundant to list mind manip as well. I think Reactive Evolution fits the second part well - this is Bowser growing more resistant to the purification of the lighthouses and cat shines, which fits the site's definition perfectly. Sealing, Durability Negation, and a layered resistance to Purification seem fine.

Should be noted these abilities of Fury Bowser can potentially be applied to Base as well, since Giant Bowser (that he can achieve in base) was able to sustain everything even after the paint got cleansed, showing that Bowser's regular body had adapted to the form and it's abilities similar to Goku after attaining his God form for the first time. The only truly paint specific ability would be the dura neg/power null if accepted.
The giant form typically enhances Bowser's powers beyond what he can normally do, while he may be able to access the powers through a giant transformation (which he can do in base) he likely won't have access to them without transformation.

Black Paint would get Corruption, Power Mimicry and Shapeshifting (Via Fury Shadows which take the form of a character and mimic their movements), Adhesive Manipulation (Slows Giga Cat Mario and Giga Mario in general and lessens jumping ability), Sealing, and potential Durability Negation/Power Nullification

Fury Shadows would get Body Control, Inorganic Physiology, Levitation (in their ball of goop form), and potentially some form of Immortality via Resurrection as long as there's black paint around to produce them since they have multiple missions where they keep coming back.
Sure, seems fine. Dunno if Adhesive Manipulation is correct - the paint could simply restrict Mario's movements via its higher density, but I suppose a "possibly" would work.

Yeah I should also add that this black paint can actually sink Mario now, where Mario resisted being pulled under in Sunshine and it simply drained his life force staying in it too long.

Not really relevant to abilities beyond a note the Paint seems to have gotten stronger effects over time.

Thanks for the input Gyro. What would be the recommended amount of staff and user agreements to have these added?

Yeah he could. It's neat that certain things come back from previous games. Mario has a loose consistency but seeing when it does have consistency makes it more special due to the unique situation of the franchise.

Thanks for the input Gyro. What would be the recommended amount of staff and user agreements to have these added?
Eh idk, this doesn't seem controversial really and is just adding abilities from a (not-so) new game, these could probably be added now. Also no worries.

Hang on bowser already could shoot his spikes super Mario rpg
True, this seems to be a more extreme version of that attack though.

Yeah it's definitely got more of the "control" aspect of body control going on cause he can make them go anywhere he wants basically and even make a curving beeline straight into the direction of his target instead of shooting them straight out.

Some stuff I want to know wouldn't black paint also have some portal power given it brought Mario to cat world, where is chaos manipulation from, shouldn't we look into why only the cats corrupted, and finally he still uses kick bombs(the soccer balls from the car fights) but larger.

, where is chaos manipulation from, .
Basically after reading the page Bowser would qualify for it. But perhaps it's too vague of an ability. His presence causes the peaceful land to shift into a hellscape basically.

shouldn't we look into why only the cats corrupted
Why would we need to? Anything that isn't corrupted is just resistant. There's nothing specifying it only works on cats. And if it did every enemy and Mario in his cat transformation would still be unaffected by this and still get the resistances anyways. So it doesn't really matter either way.

And yeah it would have portal creation.

Oh since it hasn't been mentioned this would apply to Bowser Jr. too dhe to being the source of the black paint and holding the object that creates it. He should get the black paint's abilities on his profile

I'm on mobile so I don't know if I'll be able to correctly format everything so someone who has an easier time is probably preferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back