• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Black Clover: Lightspeed Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingTempest

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Hey. Yeah. It's happening.

I have a serious issue with how the lightspeed ratings of Black Clover are handled.
A lot of it is based on association fallacy, "why not"s, and whatever tf else.
Let's begin.

Statements of Lightspeed​

The main statements of anything being lightspeed are below.
Patry moving at lightspeed with light magic.
Patry's beam moving at lightspeed.
Raia with Patry's magic also moving at lightspeed.

And that's it.

I'm not here to contend those. They make perfect sense.

Things on the Wiki Currently Accepted to Move at Lightspeed​

Patry's light swords.

Issue with this Being SOL

• It is shown at different speeds in the same material.
Yes, it is. Since his light swords can be moved at different speeds. Also, more in the last one.
  • It is tangible and can be interacted with physically by normal humans.
Yup. They are shown as solid objects that can get stuck in people.
  • They do not travel in straight lines.
This as well. His light swords start off as parallel to Patry, then they rotate and move perpendicular to him, then when they hit their victim, they change direction as their victim changes direction.
Newsflash, light does not regularly rotate.

On top of that, it's canonically slower than lightspeed.

After Yami was dealing with varying speeds of light swords and light magic, Patry says that his stated lightspeed attack is "speed he'll never avoid".
That stretches to Patry himself too, since he couldn't avoid it.
So yeah, that isn't lightspeed either.

Breaks every single criteria of lightspeed + is canonically slower than lightspeed. Shouldn't be lightspeed.

Next, People who Scale to above FTL​

Julius​

Why is Julius MFTL+ when he canonically had issues with SOL?
Julius got blitzed by the dude who snatched and grabbed his captives at lightspeed. Why does he scale 60,000 times faster?
He flat out said that Patry's lightspeed movement magic was faster than his own capabilities, doubling down saying that his magic is the fastest magic there is.
Which is why he's able to be tagged by Patry, and Patry says that even with precognition, there's limits to his speed.
With precognition, he was still incapable of tagging Patry.

If anything, he should be slower.

Why Julius scales to MFTL+ right now

1. It's a Complete PIS imputed for continuity. Julius at that point was fated by plot to face Patry and it'll seemingly destroy the plot if Julius were to easily defeat him. The futher statements from Asta and Julius should be enough to counter that PIS however, there are further evidence presented to support this notion
Not a single damn thing here involves speed.
Deadass each thing here either utilizes freezing time hax or something else that's whack like precog.

Yami​

Yami has a calculation of being faster than light.

Now, issues with that calculation are assuming that Yami didn't just stop Patry before he finished his rotation. The calc is very difficult to use because it's based in the assumption that "Yami completely turned his entire body around before he started to make the black hole and freeze Patry in place".

Then with that in mind, Yami scaling to FTL is contradicted.

First, he says that he's mainly capable of reacting to Patry's lightspeed (or sub-lightspeed) attacks via Ki, specifically predicting his attacks and starting to attack before those happen.
Next he admits that the lightspeed attack's speed is an issue, after Patry (who witnesses all of his issues) says that it has a speed he can't avoid.
On top of that, he says that he can't even tag him unless he catches him off guard, since he'll move at lightspeed.
Backed up by Gauche, who states that Patry wouldn't be able to dodge lightspeed specifically cause it's lightspeed, thinking of lightspeed as a cap that can't be dodged.
With that in mind, he got blitzed by Raia when he moved at lightspeed, and Raia moved dozens of meters at lightspeed before he could even pull out his sword.

What Needs to Be Done?​

Idk. Downgrade em.

Maybe scale em to the newer version of this, idc.

But them being FTL isn't supported at all.

Last edited:
Clover right now:

Emotional Damage Emotional GIF - Emotional Damage Emotional Angry -  Discover & Share GIFs

But I agree with the OP.

Right now I’m leaning towards agreeing with the OP but I’ll let the Black Clover goons make their case before cementing the notion.

That stretches to Patry himself too, since he couldn't avoid it.
In Patry defense he is run out of mana after casting that spell and although he couldn't avoid it (he tried to but can't for reason above) he could see/react to it, which could only mean that his reaction is lightspeed and therefore this argument:
Which is why he's able to be tagged by Patry, and Patry says that even with precognition, there's limits to his speed.With precognition, he was still incapable of tagging Patry.

If anything, he should be slower.
Is wrong because Julius causally blitzed Patry (reactions) several times after that, making his speed FTL.

On top of that the Patry from back then and the patry in this arc is just so different in stats thus saying his reaction has become more faster than before is not weird at all because it's how training works in BC their reaction and speed increases along with their power.

Anyway i only care about Julius

I wanna just mention something about my Calcs

Nozel's:

This is a false equivalence. While it makes sense to come to that conclusion, just because Nozel's calc uses the demon light version of the light swords doesn't mean we are accepting the regular light swords to be SoL.
Demon Light Swords of Conviction, unlike Light Swords of Conviction, has shown to be moving at least as fast as his Lightspeed Movement spell.

You said this:
"Now, issues with that calculation are assuming that Yami didn't just stop Patry before he finished his rotation. The calc is very difficult to use because it's based in the assumption that "Yami completely turned his entire body around before he started to make the black hole and freeze Patry in place"."

The bolded part is wrong. I'm not assuming he turned his body around but that he swung his sword, hence why there's a arm movement section in the calc.
But other than that I'm neutral cuz it's not travel speed but should still be a Reaction/Combat Speed feat. However I'm hard disagreeing on using yourNozel reflection Calc.

Last edited:
Quick question, how will the speed look even after accounting the whole Devil power increase and stuff? Or has that been thrown out the window as of recent? I haven’t been on the site in a HOT minute

I agree with the OP, but you should’ve created the thread with a solution, ratings after the downgrade. Who scales to what, etc.
Or, at the very least, commented about the downgrade to the verse supporters so they could come up with a solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back