• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Better explanations for powers & abilities

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Note: Staff only.

Continuation of the following thread, which turned far too chaotic and off-topic:

https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/836800

Our current editing rule reads like this:

"When creating new character profiles it is strongly preferred that you add explanations for the extents and natures of less self-evident and more confusing powers and abilities. Examples include Reality Warping, Conceptual Manipulation or Causality Manipulation. Such powers are likely to be inaccurately interpreted, whether by casual visitors or in versus matches. As such, it is appreciated if you specify the nature and scope of these abilities in the character profiles, either briefly in the "Powers and Abilities" sections, or in larger detail in "Notable Attacks/Techniques" sections further down in the pages."

However, since Reppuzan pointed out that the Powers & Abilities sections would frequently turn far too cluttered with this approach, I suggested the following text as an alternative:

"When creating new character profiles it is strongly preferred that you add explanations for the extents and natures of less self-evident and more confusing powers and abilities. Examples include Reality Warping, Conceptual Manipulation or Causality Manipulation. Such powers are likely to be inaccurately interpreted, whether by casual visitors or in versus matches. As such, it is appreciated if you specify the nature and scope of these abilities, preferably in "Notable Attacks/Techniques" sections, near the bottom of the character profiles."

In addition, we need to work out how and if we should modify the Standard Format for Character Profiles page.

I like it too. It saves a lot of clutter by not explaining every ability needlessly.

Of course, BB's section is going to stay long due to the odd mechanics of her powers, but it should be a lot more manageable than adding explanations to every power (which can again be easily specified in attacks/technique).

A few others I'd recommend having explanations for are Time Manipulation, Soul Manipulation, and Mind Manipulation, since the extent, degree, and usefulness of these powers tends to vary dramatically between characters.

Okay. I will change the regulation text then.

How exactly would we modify the page, and why exactly? Explanations about abilities like reality warping will be listed under the notable attacks section, are you proposing we change something about the notable attacks section?

People often put abilities such as reality warping and conceptual manipulation and the like in a character's "Powers and Abilities" section and not explain further in the profile why they were listed as having such abilities. I think what Antvasima is suggesting is that if you assign a certain ability to a character, it would be best to go down to the "Notable Attacks/Techniques" section and explain their skill with such ability and, if possible, give examples of their use.

Oh, so like a note or something in the standard format for character profiles, that says list the abilities in the powers and abilities section then says to explain abilities like reality warping and how it works in the notable attacks and techniques section i guess.

I was suggesting that maybe we should create a new "Notable Attacks/Techniques" section for the standard format page, yes.

Ah, so a format then, like say we have say reality warping under there, the first part is just a general overview of the ability. Like "reality warping in this series is the ability to manipulate and warp reality itself".

Then have another section which goes into specifics about what exactly the ability has been used to do i guess, like "change the color of the sky", "turn a mountain in to an ocean". Don't really think it's needed though, what we have is fine.

@Ant

Notable Attacks/Techniques is already in the standard format, it's just that people tend to throw in plagiarized text from other wikis rather than actually explain what the powers do in regards to this wiki's standards.

Unless you wish to add a verse mechanics portion to every character page like the ACF wiki does.

You are correct. So it is upon inspection. Sorry about being distracted from handling lots of different tasks at once.

Maybe we should expand a little on the description though, similarly to the rule that I wrote?

I do not think that it is realistic to add verse mechanics sections to every page, no.

Back