• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Best Villains for Every Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
TriforcePower1 said:
Kira should be best villain for 8-C

SPOILERS FOR JOJO PART 4
I've added some stuff. Also, answering the questions in the OP.

• Motivations: What are their motivations, and how well are they handled?
I've already covered that in my "analysis", but basically, good and relatable motivation, HANDled really well

• Presence: How much is their presence felt within their story and setting?
Kira has a great presence... unfortunately for him. Part of his quiet life involves in trying to always avoid spotlight. He even remarks how getting everyone's attention is one of the worst things someone could do to him. But when his presence is much more felt when we see the story from Hayato's (the man's son) eyes, yeah, he does have a great presence

• Threat Level: How much of a threat are they to the main character(s) of their story? Or, in the case of wider-spanning verses like Marvel and DC, how well are they portrayed as being a threat to the major players of the setting?
Kira is an OP villain... except when he's not. His power is the ability to transform everything he touches with his right hand into a bomb that vaporizes the target, he can summon an indestructible tank that creates great explosions and follows the biggest source of heat, and a bomb that automatically kills everyone trying to research his ability by asking question to a target. All OP abilities that have all one major flaw. They suck at close range, especially against opponents faster than him, like Josuke or Jotaro. He's a great threat as in him killing people makes the main characters mad because they have a great sense of justice amd cannot let a murderer go, but with enough preparation he's more than able to kill all of them.

• Personality: How complex is the character?
I feel like a couple thousands of words as a summary are enough to prove that he has a complex personality

• Entertainment Factor: At the end of the day, how entertaining is this villain to see on-screen/on-panel?
This is JoJo. Everything is strange, bizarre and entertaining.

I'd argue Funny Valentine as best Jojo Villian just for how well written he is because in reality he has more noble causes than either Johnny or Gyro yet is willing to do very bad things to maintain the reader or audiences view of him being the bad guy

He has noble intentions but because of the way the story is structured and how he'll do anything no matter how...disgusting it is to achieve his goals he is the bad guy of the story.

Seconding Oersted. Very tragic villain, a classic too and kinda ahead of his own time. I can't say he's the most excellent but I'm definitely siding with him on his tier.

The Lich for 5-C.

I think he's a great example of a recurring villain that never once feel like a joke or becomes any less threatening as the series goes on. In fact, I think he only becomes moreso, as his backstory and motivations becomes increasingly more vague, but evermore apparent. While the vagueness of his abilities have made Adventure Time revisions...a pain to say the least, with his ability to exist across all dimensions as a seemingly all-knowing entity, his presence was always foreboding when it appeared. To this day, I can recite his entire Fall speech by heart. You are strong, child, but I am beyond strength.

Atlas for Low 5-B.

He effectively serves as a mirror of Astro Boy. While Astro Boy was met with hostility and abuse from a young age, he grew into a compassionate and kind person. Atlas was showered with false-praise for committing crimes and grew into a more cynical and apathetic person. He wasn't evil, but his violent tendencies kept making him do awful things and not see the pain he brought to the few people he cared about.

Diablomo for 3-C. For some reason his profile only covers his final incarnation. Gonna ask Dragon about that.

He wasn't deep or complex. I have to admit, I'm only suggesting him for nostalgia sake, but still. He was the Digimon who spurred what is by far the most iconic scene in Digimon history, at least to most people I know. When logic is thrown out of the window and Tai and Matt enter the internet to support their Digimon after they were nearly annihilated by the countless Diablomon hoards, until they eventually fused to become Omegamon.

Go back...to the beginning...

I agree with Lich, though I don't think he's better than Oryx as a villain.

Dunno about Atlas.

And if it is only for nostalgia normally I'd say "nah" but 3-C might be relatively barren anyways so I also can't speak much here.

Unfortunately Doctor Manhattan isn't a villain, but damn it I want him for the High 2-A spot so bad... Welp, Dankseid is good too (real good I might add).

I still say Dio for 8-C myself. And mayhaps Tetsuo Shima for 9-C.

Mr. Bambu said:
And if it is only for nostalgia normally I'd say "nah" but 3-C might be relatively barren anyways so I also can't speak much here.
I keep forgetting Bowser is 3-C, he'd be a good contender. Also, some of the FF villains like Gilgamesh

Also. Masayoshi Shido for 4-A. Cynical, ruthless, apathetic but an intelligent businessman and politician who knows just how to manipulate people to get his way. His goal was pretty realistic (becoming the prime minister of Japan), even if the means of going about it was pretty out there, which made him kind of terrifying in a way.

If we're talking High 2-A I am gonna have to shill my verse again since D&D is the only one with clear-cut villains out of my choices (mostly).

The Lady of Pai is my option for High 2-A despite how vague she is as a character.

While technically being neutral, she is neutral to such an extent as being antagonistic to many throughout the planes. She is the protector of the City of Sigil (the center of the multiverse) and is one of the few beings on par with Ao and other transcendent beings of the verse.

What makes her a villain? Well. For one, it is said that anyone who worships the Lady as their patron deity is instantly slain, or put into one of her infamous infinite mazes, trapped for all eternity. Furthermore, merely appearing in her shadow causes immense, indefinable pain from her existence. Opposing the Lady in any capacity causes a fate not dissimilar to the god of portals, Aoskar, who attempted to lace the City of Sigil with portals so he could freely enter the realm. He was instantly obliterated from the multiverse, made into an example of what happens when you attempt to defeat the Lady.

From a gameplay point of view, Lady has a few notable features in that she has no stats whatsoever. To some extent, every creature has stats- even greater gods, though they cannot be really killed unless under very specific circumstances, have stats. The Lady has no stats as this implies she can be killed or even vaguely affected by the actions of one such as a Greater Deity or lower.

She's even present in the game Planescape: Torment (an old D&D game we've been looking into) as A. the only one who can actually kill your protagonist and B. a small plushie doll that if you attack it or jeer at it, she shows up to literally obliterate you from reality because how dare you attack a plushie (apparently you can also get others to do this to summon her).

Also yeah GLaDOS should take Unknown, she's easily the most notable I can think of off-hand

...maybe for Freddy, guy does a lot of decent antagonist stuff, but 9-B is a big tier so I'm iffy.

Definitely no for Slenderman, character is too varied with too few showings of true nefariousness (speaking as a horror/creepypasta fan).

Again, Habit is good (better than Slender, at least) and certainly a compelling villain but Low 2-C is super condensed with people with, ultimately, tons more information/lore on them than an ARG character.

I dunno who that is but I assume it is the one that fought Reinhard. I had literally never heard of them outside of that.

Ogbunabali said:
I don't know if this is just me. But Bowser is a horrible villain, popular yes, but horrible.
also yeah Bowser sorta sucks

Final Fantasy certainly has potential though

Bowser does have some compelling villain moments, but they're few and far between.

Yeah, I'm with Cal. Not every villain has to be be a sympathetic person or darkness incarnate, they can be fun and goofy, and Bowser's great at that.

Yeah sure, but that's not something I would put on a "Best Villain List".

Yeah. It's not like Mr King put enjoyment on the criteria or anything...

Mr. Bambu said:
I dunno who that is but I assume it is the one that fought Reinhard. I had literally never heard of them outside of that.
I am rather sure that by Beatrice, he means this girl - as she is the only 5-A named Beatrice that I know.

I disagree. Sure Bowser is a fun villain at times but he is far from the best, he just fulfills the role of big bad guy for local italian plumber man. Nothing he's done really constitutes being the best- iconic, maybe.

And yes, Warren, that's the one that fought Reinhard.

5-A has quite a few

hell uh

Thanos

for all his meme-y glory

Mr. Bambu said:
And yes, Warren, that's the one that fought Reinhard.
I thought you were talking about this Beatrice who fought against Reinhard in Dies Irae.

Anyway, that match with Reinhard needs to be removed as Reinhard would instantly get stomped via mindhax.

MCU Thanos and Beatrice are strong contenders. Very strong and solid contenders. They imo made Thanos more intriguing and even sympathetic on MCU and well, man there's so many vids I can ref for my points but not rn alas

The real cal howard said:
It's impossible for Reinhard to get stomped. He's too OP.
She has 1-B mindhax, and Reinhard only has 3-D resistances , for now, which wasn't known when the fight was going through.

Ignore the mindhax however, Reinhard would definitely be able to kill Beatrice with the spear - if he can effect True Marie in the Twilight Beach, a realm outside of the Throne's reach, then he can kill Beatrice's true-self in whatever dimension she resides in. So he would stomp.

So as it is, Reinhard gets stomped - if you take away Beatrice's one win condition, then he stomps her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back