• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Best Villains for Every Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Main bad guy from Berserk and he should absolutely be on here. Griffith is probably one of the single worst-acting antagonists I've ever seen. Like Berserk is just ****** up for how mainstream it is.

TriforcePower1 said:
@MrKing
Do I need to expand on why Kira is best villain of 8-C?
It would certainly help give me a reason to add him. (Although I know the character due to having read Part 4, so I have an idea of what you're going to say.)

Psychomaster35 said:
I'd put Bowser at High 4-C. Like, it doesn't matter how nuanced a character might be if they're not enjoyable when they're on screen. Bowser isn't nuanced but he's enjoyable to see. Him being a father, him being a goofy villain, him simply saying "SHOWTIME!", and to top it off, he has a good theme song.

For the thread, it's in the OP.

Imo, you can spice up a character as much as you want but that alone doesn't make you enjoyable. Characters that are evil for the lulz can be better than complex villains as you can love to hate them. The Joker or Maleficent don't need to be complex to be one of the greatest villains of all time.

I'd put Bowser at High 4-C. Like, it doesn't matter how nuanced a character might be if they're not enjoyable when they're on screen. Bowser isn't nuanced but he's enjoyable to see. Him being a father, him being a goofy villain, him simply saying "SHOWTIME!", and to top it off, he has a good theme song.

Actually, I have intentions of having another High 4-C character take that place, hence why I put Bowser at best 3-C villain.

Even someone being a villain can be very subjective. Are they a villain just if they're the evilest in the setting? Are they a villain if they're evil? Are they a villain if what they're doing is practically against their will? Are they a villain if there are other people more evil then them?

People will diehard defend Ainz Ooal Gow, Light Yagami, and Lelouch vi Britannia being villains or heroes (well, maybe not so much for the first one, but whether or not someone is a full-blown villain is highly subjective)

Someone who falls in the evil alignment. Lawful evil, neutral evil, or chaotic evil. Someone who has the evil characters tab.

Let's not get philosophical here lol.

DND alignments are pretty shoddy tbh. A actual character with actual personality traits usually falls into two or three. Batman without going into OOC stuff has showings of all 9 alignments

Garou for High 7-C

The threat level criteria should be ignored in this case btw, for reasons I don't think need to be stated.

Senator Armstrong for 7-C, easily.

The guy is the most over the top villain of all time, and has spawned over half the memes from Metal Gear Rising, which is saying a lot.

His motivations involve a lot of political stuff, so i'm not gonna say it because i'm paranoid about that stuff, but he's basically a guy who tries to do good in a bad way.

He's definetly one of the most badass characters from Metal Gear still, he straight up breaks Raiden's sword with his bare hands, which up until now you would think is unbreakable. He also ***** Raiden real bad and almost kills him.

Even then, you will still chear for him. Hell, even the 4th wall chears for him. All of his dialogue is quotable, and he just shows a lot of dominance.

One of my favorite characters from Metal Gear, for sure.

Ob0S2px
Probably suggesting Count Bleck and/or Dimentio for 2-B next, but not now.

Toffee for 5-B

He's a great villian because of so many reasons. Let's start with reason 1: His motivation

His entire motivation is that the monster race is oppressed by the Mewmans and he became the general of the rebellion and killed the then queen of Mewni, which if we're being honest, is completely justified considering what the monsters went though. Anyway, Moon, the queen's daughter stopped the rebellion by using dark magic to prevent Toffee from regenerating a finger, seen as a huge blow to the monsters as the only reason they were doing so well up to this point was because lizards like him can keep regenerating from damage. Disgraced and humiliated, Toffee left and didn't appear until the main series started.

His motivations later warps into getting revenge on Moon after this point, but we'll get to that in a moment.

Reason 2: He's a well drawn out villian

When SvtfoE started, we were greeted to a cartoony villian who cant do anything right, when we're introduced to Toffee, he's just a henchman to Ludo, the then villian of the series. After manipulating Ludo into getting rid of his right hand man, and basically orgastrating his downfall so he can take over hisbposition, he forces Star to destroy her wand, which unbeknowest to the cast, allowed him to enter the wand and poison all magic in the universe slowly.

At this point he doesn't appear until the end of the second season, where he once again manipulated Ludo throughout the season to further his plans. All the while, we get the best redemption ark for Ludo as he progresses from a comical antagonist to an actual threat to the main characters.

Reason 3: His comeback

After everything I have just said, the most badass thing is probably his return. Long story short, Ludo, while being posessed by Toffee, basically destroys all of Mewni and Star is trapped inside her wand, a wand that has been corrupted by Toffee. And at everyone's lowest point, he just appears from out of the wand with a fully regenerated finger. In the midst of a practically broken cast. Ludo asks Toffee if he ever mattered and Toffee simply replies no, completely crushing Ludo and his entire redemption ark. Moon is furious because Star is supposedly gone, but she can't even kill Toffee because all magic was corrupted and Toffee doesn't even look at her as he walks away from the conflict.

And there we go. A villian that appeared so little in the actual show and had one of the biggest impacts. He's the only antagonist thus far that has ever broken the main cast to this extent and to top it all off he's a villian from a cartoon made for kids.

I rest my case.

Well, in anticipation of the GLaDOS profile I'll make the case for her right now. And I'll even use this template that literally no one else has used.

Just bear with me because I'm not great at, you know, putting my thoughts into words or analyzing things or really anything that would require making a case for an interesting villain.

Spoilers

Motivations: What are their motivations, and how well are they handled?

There's a lot of speculation about why she does what she does. Is it because she's been programmed with the sole purpose of testing, and the inability to do the one thing she was designed to do causes her to break down? Or maybe the Caroline part of her is enraged that they were unable to save Cave's life and so she feels like she can never make it up to him? Or is it just the corrupted part of her that makes her want to kill? Personally I like the first theory the best, but who can really know for sure?

Presence: How much is their presence felt within their story and setting?

In the first game she's the only voice you hear, and the story is told almost exclusively through her slip-ups here and there. She is the facility you're in; she is in control of the shape of how the setting is formed and she can see almost everywhere. It's nigh-impossible to escape from her presence. She literally shapes the ground you walk on.

Threat Level: How much of a threat are they to the main character(s) of their story?

At any point GLaDOS could slice you open with a laser, fill the room with lethally toxic gas, spawn a turret to fill you with lead, etc.

Personality: How complex is the character?

All throughout the first game she sounds deceptively like you're typical Alexa or Siri-esque, robotic AI. But as the story progresses she slips up and drops hints implying there's something more sinister going on. Once you start to go against her, she attempts to get you back on course by lying to you, trying to bond with you, etc. It's not until you get about to her chamber that she drops the facade completely and her voice sounds like that of a psychotic human. And again, there's all the speculation about what really caused her to be so effed up. And there's the whole Caroline storyline in the second game and the fact that she actually ends up saving your life when she could just as easily have left you stranded in space along with Wheatley.

Entertainment Factor: At the end of the day, how entertaining is this villain to see on-screen/on-panel?

Do I even need to give you all the quotable lines from this character? Even people who haven't played the games know them.
Or for a much better overview of what makes her such a memorable villain just read this.

I should probably expand on Garou

Motivations: The main thing that would lead to Garou becoming a villain is the society's perception of heroes and villain. In his eyes heroes didn't get to be called that for their morality or desire to do the right thing, they were just the more "popular" of the two sides in conflict and the villain who ultimately dies only deserves it because the majority cheered for it, a notion he would call absurd. This worldview stemmed from his crappy life in school as the outcast, but reflected how things were pretty well.

but it wasn't just this hate against heroes that fueled his actions. He was also trying to improve things in the way he saw fit. He believed that evil grew because people had learned to ignore the problems of others and expected a hero to come solve everything instead of helping others themselves. He wanted to become the ultimate monster, a being so powerful and evil that humanity would have no choice but to set aside their differences and unite against him. All the small evils in the world could then be erased

Personality: An indominatable fighter who constantly grows more and more powerful. He probably has more determination and resolve than any of the actual heroes in the show. His dialogues are pretty cool and he also shows his good side often, which makes him likeable.

Enjoyment: He is hands down the best part of the entire one punch man manga, and when he isn't being an inspiration he is being a display of pure tenacity and blood pumping action.

He doesn't hit a home run in other areas but I still think he's good enough for a spot

Well, as I said I would do, I am copying my previous walls of text on Reinhard's character -editing it a little bit. I don't care for what tier.

So yeah - Reinhard Heydrich

Strife
There was once a time when Reinhard was human, he was completely reserved, tactful, and professional in everything he did - performing at levels of efficiency boarding on the supernatural simply because that was his job to his country.

However, subconsciously, Reinhard always knew that he was so much better than everyone and everything. That he was infinitely more powerful than all of it and that his strength would destroy everything if he released it by exerting any actual effort into anything.

You can imagine how maddeningly dull that kind of life would be.

"I led a life in which there was not a thing I could not do, not a rank I could not achieve, not an enemy I could not defeat, not a woman I could not bed, and no wealth I could not earn."

"I distanced myself from the thrill of men, labeling all as waste by the wayside as I passed through. I wished to love all and everything, yet none could withstand my love.
Ah, why can't you endure my touch? If a mere graze upon your delicate skin sends you shattering to a myriad pieces, how can you hope to withstand my embrace? Such cruelty. Why must this world -from the tiniest blade of grass to the vastest of mountains- be so painfully fragile. So be it, then. My love shall take the form of destruction. I shall ravage so I can cherish. I adore the weak that bow before me, as well as the defeated that bend their knees. My love expands to the vassals that rebel, and those that mean me harm. I love all and everything. And so shall I lay waste to everything before me"

Reinhard was cursed with Foreknowledge in every aspect of his life - the sensation of Deja Vu remained ever prevalent, that what your doing is something you have already done a hundred, a thousand, a million times before.

This is because of Mercurius's Law. That time would reset if he ever died in a manner that was not to his liking - that being in the arms of his beloved, Marie. Creation is to repeat in an endless loop ad infinitum -where everyone is destined to do the same things forever.

Reinhard's very nature means that he is subconsciously aware that he has lived every moment that he is currently experiencing before. And when you feel like you've done everything before, absolute ennui takes the place of pride and joy - there is no accomplishment to be earned, no rewards, life becomes completely meaningless.

"The feelings you call achievement, release, and satisfaction are completely alien to the heart that beats in my chest."

"And then, I realized that I lacked I lacked the delight, the excitement, and the hastening of the heart that any common man feels even upon crossing even the smallest of mountains."

Purpose
After meeting with Mercurius, who shows Reinhard his true nature, Reinhard begins his quest into becoming a God. Vying to be free from the curse of foreknowledge and build a creation in where he has to actually try to accomplish his desires.

"Prior to Karl (Mercurius), I used to be oblivious of this fact, as well as the bliss this meant. A foolish bliss, but bliss nonetheless."

"To be precise, there are two things I want. One is the manifestation of a situation that I would find difficult to overcome even with all my power. The other is the unknown that lies beyond that, though I know not which one will come first. The world we live in is not meant for me. Therefore, I will create and unleash one where I belong. I will summon a mountain that is worth the journey then traverse it."

Actions in Dies Irae
Ren Fuiji, the main character of Dies Irae, is an artificial lifeform created by Mercurius to facilitate the growth of Marie as a god and to be the one to give Reinhard the challenge he always desired. Mercurius tells Reinhard's that Ren is the one who will give Reinhard a challenging fight, and eventually - they clash blades.

Reinhard loves the fight immensely.

"'Ah, how my heart races within my chest. Truly, 'tis how it should be. You're not trying your best, he once told me. His words resembled those of a young boy blinded by delusions of omnipotence, but I, who those envisions actually rang true for, always felt like an outsider in this world. Nothing I beheld would ever move me. My heart was a stranger to true liberty, the thrill of victory; never have I felt satisfaction as men do when a great obstacle crumbles beneath their feet. Aye. Be it so, then. I shall become an avatar of that principle, showing the world the true essence of the monarch of destruction. And so I ravage, I absorb, and paint the cosmos anew in my color. The world fit for me to live in shall be born in its wake, bursting forth in a torrent, washing away the ancient order that once was."

The fight escalates to a metaphysical duel between philosophies and law. Beliefs clash and ideologies push against one another - fighting for supremacy against the other.

Ren wins the encounter, albeit barely.

In his final moments, Reinhard congratulates Ren on his victory and thanks him sincerely for giving his life some meaning.

He is a man who instead of begging for his life, congratulates his enemy for having the strength to defeat him with a smile on his face.

"I understand. You are prepared to claim my life at the cost of yours. I see. Excellent. Thenstake your all and unleash a strike befitting our finale. Two kinds of strength exists: One meant for others, another meant for oneself. Neither is inherently superior to the other, and the only difference lies in the extent of your beliefs. You either think yourself as absolute...or plead for the absoluteness of another. If you think yourself a knight of the goddess, temper that resolve to perfection. Do so, and you have earned my respect. I shall not belittle it. However, you must not disappoint me..."

"Why the grief? You and your comrades have emerged the victor. Let pride fill your heart and do not devalue my defeat. Tell me is the belief of others truly that important? If my lack of it had been the cause of my defeat, and the support you received the reason you have won...I implore you to prove it. Karl seems to have been defeated, as well...Heheheh...You must swear on it, for such is the duty of the victor. It is your obligation to demonstrate that our defeat was truly absolute. Fail to do so, and I will make my return. After all, it would mean I was never truly defeated. HEHEHEHEHE...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I bear no regrets, and I would prefer if you do not give me any. The strength responsible for my downfall must be the greatest of all. I would be thankful if you eased my heart with the belief I was not defeated by something trifling."

Conclusion
The point of Reinhard's character is to become more like that he envies, which he loves - Human. A god who wants to be a man. Trying to find purpose in what amounts to a meaningless existence.

A man who fights to give himself a purpose.

He's a brilliant character, and he should be on this list in my opinion.

Plain and simple.

I should probably make a case for Lucemon or Apocalymon. Heck, I'd argue Mother Eater or K. Sadly Beelzemon doesn't count...

Yeah voting for Garou too. Came before, and is one of the most engaging characters you root for in OPM. I don't want to spoil for non-manga or webcomic readers but his growth really makes you side with him. Compared to Stain who barely has anything, Garou trumps him easily.

@Arrogant

We wouldn't compare them for that reason, but someone already compared the two characters beforehand. So yeah just proving a pint basically

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back