• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Best Villains for Every Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barely any character and is generally just an edgy version of a robotic bear.

9-C has villains deeper than that.

Mr. Bambu said:
Barely any character and is generally just an edgy version of a robotic bear.
9-C has villains deeper than that.
Yes but nightmare does serve a purpose in fnaf 4 though

King, answer me why Griffith isn't in this list yet or I'll send everyone to the Ranch

"serving a purpose" isn't the same as "being a villain with depth and actual personality"

Nightmare is just a big scary robot that kills you if you do things wrong. He doesn't have any in-depth character, no obvious ideologies or anything, just... a big robot.

KLOL506 said:
King, answer me why Griffith isn't in this list yet or I'll send everyone to the Ranch
If you're wearing glasses right now, you need a new prescription.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
KLOL506 said:
If you're wearing glasses right now, you need a new prescription.
00F i did not see that one

stupid wiki autoscroll

Mr. Bambu said:
Okay but
Why
I am not really a Star Wars fan, and I have never played KOTOR II: The Sith Lords, so I can't go into detail about her character and break it down like I would some like Reinhard Heydrich for example (who should totally be on the list by the way) - but I can link an almost two-hour video about her philosophy.

I really liked what bits of character I took from the video, I find the writing fantastic, and I find her ideology fascinating.

I would suggest asking someone who has actually played the games and knows the character in-depth.

Where's the Disney Villains? Scar, Ursula, Jafar...

I dare you to name more than like, three characters on this entire list who are liked more than the Renaissance Villains.

Well liked doesn't make them a better villain. Scar's probably the best of those though.

Know what

Watched a bit of the video you linked, Warren

While it isn't two hours and a fair amount just describes jedi code, the fact that the character can be spoken about in-depth for so long (skipped to bits of the video), I'd support them going up.

Mr. Bambu said:
Know what
Watched a bit of the video you linked, Warren

While it isn't two hours and a fair amount just describes jedi code, the fact that the character can be spoken about in-depth for so long (skipped to bits of the video), I'd support them going up.
Thanks, man.

Mr. Bambu said:
Well liked doesn't make them a better villain. Scar's probably the best of those though.
Kinda does

I think we're underselling the value of public appeal here.

If I chose you to choose between two heroes, say, Aladdin and Battler Ushiromiya, would you say the latter is a better hero because he's more complex? What makes a good character is their ability to stand out and be remembered and loved. It's why most of the villains I've suggested are quirky popular villains. Because they have that bit that's makes them stand out, as opposed to tbh, quite a few characters on this list. Having a tragic backstory or a complex philosophy doesn't make you likable in and of itself.

The real cal howard said:
Kinda does, my man. Reinhard for example, if he was complex but nobody liked him (and they SHOULDNT), I wouldn't give him a place at all.
For example, if I told you to choose between Aladdin and Battler Ushiromiya, would you honestly tell me that he latter is a better protagonist because he's more complex?
Thou hast spoken the great heresy, and thou must repent for his sins.

Kinda does, my man. Reinhard for example, if he was complex but nobody liked him (and they SHOULDNT), I wouldn't give him a place at all.
Cal is too petty..

Iconic =/= good. Most iconic villains are iconic due to popularity and being memorable, neither of which explictly includes actual quality.

You don't become iconic due to lacking quality, unless you become notorious due to that reason *cough Kirito cough*.

Mass appeal isn't the same as good though. Look at me, the dark fantasy and nonfiction guy. Those aren't necessarily genres appealing to everyone, but not because they're inherently bad or something. People have different tastes and some things are easier to appeal to everyone by being inoffensive and playing off of certain tricks of emotional manipulation than others, and that doesn't immedately equate to wuality.

I also personally knew of Galactus before the ones you listed, lol

Also like, how did nobody suggest Azula?
I would, but I'm the OP and I'm trying not to shoehorn characters I like into this. (Even though I know damn well half of them deserve to be here.)

I mean feel free to argue for things.

Right now I'm seeing 9-B and 4-B as the most contentious spots.

Sorta feeling like copying over the chaos god stuff and suggesting them for something, but also wanna advocate bolas. What do

Reinhard somehow deleted the post, so apparently some incarnation of me apologized and got the post nuked lol.
Reinhard would never delete the post, for he would love you for who you are - even if you hated him.

As for your question about Aladdin and Battler, well, I can't answer it because I have never read Umineko - although I do own it, just never got around to it.

When I do get around to it, and after completing the 100+ hour narrative - I'll report back to you on which character I liked better.

If a majority of people would get bored while listening to their characterization, they're probably not worthy of being considered the best. In order to be the best, you have to be interesting first and foremost, not complex.

No it

really doesn't

Being recognized from a popular franchises' villain makes little to no difference upon how good of a villain you actually are, just like being from an obscure franchise doesn't make you a shitty non-notable villain. Popularity means exactly 0 in regards to this. Just to bring up a past example, Bowser is a terribly flat and typical "rawr I hate u" villain from one of the most popular series in the world. In no way does he deserve to be here purely because he is recognizable.

Also to be clear: The ability to stand out is truly a good aspect of a good villain. But that should not come from simply being associated with a popular franchise. Their ability to stand out as a villain is more notable than being from a game/book/whatever everyone has heard of.

That is wholly dependent on what exactly you're looking to get out of the media. For some the entire point of having characters or a world present is for them to be throughly explored, relishing in the conplexeties and intricacies present and learning and theorizing on their own about stuff. For others, they just want a good time that doesn't necessarily have to be deep, but just entertaining. You seem to some kore towards the latter which is fine if that's what you like, but it doesn't devalue the former camp.

Warren Valion said:
You're going though all of Umineko too, eh? I'll wish you luck if you wish me luck...
Oh, you are planning on going through Umineko as well?

Interesting...

Well good luck, I have heard nothing but good things.

Jean Marsh delivers a very spell binding performance as Queen Bavmorda (Willow), she really fits the bill as a truly evil sorceress, which, in my mind, combined with the power she wields, really deserves the 9-B spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back