• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Best Villains for Every Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black knight of the darkness said:
Well, Madoka there is also abit on the otherside of comedy sanity, as it seems like she (and Homura) is responsible for the entire town's collective sanity meter, so eh...

Alright. Strahd von Zarovich time, my second biggest page and one of my proudest.

Motivations: Strahd's motivations have remained true as the decades of his saga passed. It is simple: Love. More specifically, Strahd seeks the love of his brother's wife, Tatyana. To achieve this he caused the death of his brother and traded his soul to the dark powers of the world to become immortal and to make Tatyana attracted to him- instead, in fear of Strahd and in grief of her now deceased husband, Tatyana flung herself from the castle, though her body was never found. Now, every few decades, a Tatyana look-alike appears, and it is now Strahd's goal to discover why this is and to make one of them love him.

Presence: Strahd's campaign, though it's taken many names, is present in every single edition of D&D (except for 4th edition but 4e is stupid). He's referenced in almost any text in the game referencing Undead and is known as "The First Vampire"- he, alongside Lord Soth, is the most notable character from the Ravenloft setting. Note that I say Setting. Not the plane of existence, that's an entire multiverse. He's recognized as one of the most imposing D&D antagonists amongst thousands of them. His module, Ravenloft, is considered among the most iconic names in the franchise.

Threat Level: High enough if tested. Just to name some examples of what he's managed- Vladmir Horngaard was once a knight of a vast order of silver dragons and their followers. Literal armies protecting thousands of civilians. Strahd slaughtered them all. Just one of his generals (and he has many) is accredited with killing thousands of people on his own. Notably, Mordenkaine once fell victim to Strahd's madness and lost his memories. An entire country is under Strahd's thumb as a dictatorship until Strahd can discover Tatyana.

Personality: He's more complex than "EEEEEEVILLLLL!" at least, though I give him the least credit in this area. He's of the archetype of Dracula, and most of his actual personality comes from obsessing over immortality and seeking his love. However, I will say that his personality in combat is much different- the DM is told explicitly he is a calculating and cold enemy, and will always attack in the exact way that most harms the party. He is similarly merciless in that if a target is wounded, he will target them first and kill them rather than risk them getting healed (this is rare in D&D, to finish a wounded enemy before dealing with others). He is certainly the brooding type, as he regularly reflects on his life and laments it all.

Entertainment Factor: Pretty high considering that literally decades after the character's conception his modules continue to be bestsellers. Keep in mind this isn't a book meant for reading- this is just text describing how he acts and his lands and their people. Strahd is among the most challenging enemies a mid-level party is expected to face and provides one of the most memorable fights most people playing canon D&D are ever going to get.

Alright, here's the Oersted wall o text (for 2-C). Probably should have done this sooner but eh well.

• Motivations (Prelude): Oersted has probably one of the most tragic backstories from a video game that I've seen, in all honesty. That's because, to begin with, he wasn't a villain. He was the hero of Lucretia, a humble medieval town that is home to the King and his daughter, and Oersted's wife-to-be, Princess Alicia. When the chance arises, Oersted fights in the Lucretia tournament and defeats his most trusted partner, Straybow, to win Alicia's hand in marriage. However, on the very night of their marriage after Alicia tells Oersted sincerely that she believes in him, the castle is attacked by demons. Oersted fiercely fights and kills them, but the Demon Lord takes her away as Oersted fights, leaving him to watch as she is taken away. Not wasting any time, promising the entire town that he will save Alicia and slay the demon, he teamed up with his partner along with the retired hero Hash and his partner Uranus. Together they go to Devil's Peak and slay the Demon Lord. Princess Alicia is nowhere to be seen, and Hash reveals that he had the plague. Before anyone can say anything, Hash succumbs to his illness, telling Oersted his selfless drive to be a hero and that as long as someone believes in you, you must not lose hope. As if the situation couldn't get worse, the cave begins to collapse in. Oersted and Uranus escape safely, but Straybow doesn't make it, being crushed inside. The pair return to Lucretia empty handed, promising that they will return to the mountain.
  • Motivations: The night after they return, Oersted wakes up to see an image of a horrible demon. Following it into the throne room, he engages battle with it... to find the demon go out in one hit. Its demonic aura fades, as Oersted stares upon the now bloody throne. The king lies there, dead. Dozens of guards flood into the room, catching Oersted red handed. They accuse Oersted of regicide and for murdering both Hash and Straybow, and lock up + torture Uranus as they believe he is an accomplice. Oersted gets locked up as well, but is broken free by Uranus using the last of his power, who tells him the same thing Hash did - so long as someone believes in you, you must not lose hope. Remembering this and reminiscing on what Hash and Alicia told him, he heads to Devil's Peak to take on the true demon alone and save Alicia. Figuring out the secret of the demon statue, he reaches the summit where he comes face to face... with none other than Straybow, his closest friend. Turns out Straybow faked his own death to save Alicia himself, get Oersted locked up and executed for killing the king and manipulate Alicia into believing that Oersted never came for her, all due to his jealousy. They fight, and Oersted ultimately wins, killing Straybow to save Alicia. She looks up at him, the man who risked his life against all the odds just for her... and she couldn't stand the sight of him. She takes her own life, leaving Oersted with nobody that believes in him, nowhere to go and with no meaning to his life. Instead of choosing death, Oersted succumbs to his hatred and becomes Odio, the Demon King, with the purpose of punishing humanity for all of their unfairness.
  • Presence: Oersted is the single driving force of the entire story, whether it be directly or indirectly. After harnessing the power of the Demon King, he activates the seven statues which sends incarnations of his hatred in seven different timelines, which range from a Japanese warlord to a legendary Dinosaur who is worshipped as a god to the corrupted mother computer of a space ship. Each of these villains are interesting in their own way, and it's each of these villain's defeats at the hands of their respective chapter's hero that sets up for the final chapter and grand finale which links all seven chapters/timelines together.
  • Threat Level: Immense. After becoming the Demon King, Oersted slaughtered everyone who lived in Lucretia with ease. One of Odio's incarnations, the Great Inko Buddha Statue, was going to cause mass genocide in a warped attempt to bring an end to wars. It's heavily implied throughout Oersted's take on the final chapter that if he wasn't curious about whether there was any good in humanity, along with the heroes that defeated his incarnations, that he could defeat each of them by ease and even destroy the timelines themselves if he chose to. In fact, it took four of the heroes at once with their ultimate techniques and ultimate gear to stand a chance against Oersted as Pure Odio. If you want to take things a step further, Odio was never defeated in the main ending. Hatred still exists, and so long as hatred exists, anyone can become the next king of demons and fall down the same rabbit hole that Oersted did.
  • Personality: Not much is revealed about Oersted's personality at the start of his chapter, but the story portrays him as a selfless, heroic and brave knight. This is especially emphasised when he trailed up an entire mountain to bring Hash out of retirement to defeat the demon that kidnapped Alicia. His personality starts to shift further into the story after the people of Lucretia turn on him unfairly, and he becomes more desperate to salvage his broken image and save the one person who he thought still believed in him. To this end, he broke out of detainment to fight a demon who was supposedly stronger than even the Demon Lord; a monster who needed the combined efforts of Oersted, Hash, Straybow and Uranus to defeat, all to save Alicia. However, the actions of Straybow and then Alicia drove him over the edge, and because being selfless and heroic had failed him, he turned to hatred and strength. Even then, he seems almost understanding when talking to the seven heroes, trying to convince them that humanity is selfish and trying to understand how they can still believe in people who have 'done nothing for them'. Perhaps you could say that he shows signs of change, but is aware that he has gone too far. Doesn't help that he is mentally broken at this point, with all the values he once believed in being turned on him in the space of two days.
  • Entertainment: He's a serious and intense villain, so he's not entertaining in the sense that he's gonna make you laugh. However, I found his story and descent into evil very fascinating (and I hope you found the abridged version interesting too, if you've read this far), and each of the boss fights against either his incarnations or Odio/Oersted himself are very unique and enjoyable. Oersted is also the only character from the game to make a cameo in a final fantasy game, and one of a select few characters to feature in another square enix title (the other two being from his chapter I believe).
TL;DR: He starts off as a hero with the support of the entire town, his best friend and especially Princess Alicia. However, due to being backstabbed, framed and conspired against, including being turned on by the only person who he thought still believed in him in a horrifying way (Alicia, who committed suicide in front of him), he turns to hatred, becoming undoubtedly the strongest character in the entire game. He also facilitates great twists and unique boss fights.

Your post got buried and I got distracted.

Although since said post is as good a summation as half of what's been said here so far. sure.

Schnee One said:
The real cal howard said:
Madoka's...canonically straight
I don't think she's been stated to be straight per say
Bisexual people are still a thing.
That a myth Gar, like Santa Claus, and free real estate.

Nobody actually finds both sexes attractive - don't be absurd.

I'mma go and vote The Worm in Waiting Low 2-C Motivations: It wants to love you... simple as that. Presence: It's subtle in the story but the thing pulls the strings behind it's own storyline Threat Level: They're a threat on the level of "I can **** you over temporally if I want to", but the thing is nice Personality: The Lovecraftian nature of the entity means it's personality is shown as incomprehensible to humanity, which is honestly best. Entertainment Factor: WHATWASWILLBEWHATWILLBEWAS

Bill Cipher takes 11-A no question.

Motivations: Emmyehemendgsjrkj Bill's weak point. His motivation is just to party on and have a fuckton of his version of fun. Not the strongest motivation but whatever.

Presence: Bill is the one behind all of this madness, there's triangles smacked everywhere in the show indicating that he's watching. It's shown that he's basically been observing the Pines' every move since the start. He is the one behind all the weirdness of Gravity Falls, he is the one that the show has been building up to for a whole season.

Threat level: Very, very, very high. He's a dream invading demon that can enter your mind to steal your thoughts which is already powerful. However he hints at future plans to come and when he does, boy he does get powerful. He reduces the time police to scattered molecules, kills time, shuffles all the ******* holes in Preston's face just for lols, threatens to destroy all of existence by just partying, transforms his enemies into banners, etc.

Personality: Bill is a very good combination of both comedic and threatening, flipping through these personalities at a whim and being very entertaining in both of them. His humor isn't the most child-friendly humor (The head that's always screaming comes to mind) but it's still entertaining. He can also be threatening too, such as the scene where he says "I've been keeping an EYE ON YOU" or when he threatened to just ******* murder the kids for the heck of it. The problem is his character isn't the most complex out there, as he doesn't have any form of interesting backstory and the like. But I like his personality just fine.

Entertainment: Bill is one of the most fun villains I've seen in western animation. He's really god damn funny but he's also threatening and menacing as well. You'd also have fun spotting all the easter eggs where he is mentioned such as the triangle with eyes or YROO XRKSVI GIRZMTOV!

(He's also one of the only like 3 villains in 11-A so...)

I'm gonna go with the Plutonian from Iredeemable for 4-C. Truly fits the meaning of the title with a backstory and journey from hero to villain that explains why this Superman copy became who he was but does not excuse the atrocities he committed.

On the subject, I should probably see if I can improve his file a bit. Read the comic before, can read it again on a weekend.

JooCipher said:
Does Undertale even have a decent villain?
Flowey in his own way is a great villain, but he doesn't really line up with King's criterias. Asgore had a good motivation and is likable but he's more of an antivillain.

Wokistan said:
On the subject, I should probably see if I can improve his file a bit. Read the comic before, can read it again on a weekend.
See if you can find a quote from the Plutonian that really encapsulates who he was before he snapped.

Flowey in his own way is a great villain, but he doesdoesn't really line up with King's criterias. Asgore had a good motivation and is likable but he's more of an antivillain.

It sort of reminds me of Dimentio and Kefka Palazzo.

I thought Altair (for Low 2-C) was a very well-written villain.

Akemi Homura (for 2A) would be considered antagonistic as well, right?

didn't we already talk about how stands aren't villains so the 8-C key is sorta invalidated

Right

I'm addressing Kira, to be clear

^ Was intending to write down his stuff, Arthas is 100% deserving of a spot here and his ability to be recognized from unironically hundreds of "notable" villains from Warcraft is admirable.

Still arguing imo Funny is better. Don't get me wrong I like Kira but his presence and role in his story is a tad less influential than Funny. I dunno I find that fact that in some aspects he could argued to be a better "hero" than Johnny even with the very bad things and lengths he's willing to go to for both his country and pride.

Let's go ahead and make it a poll, then...

EDIT: Or the guy below me could do it, that's cool too...

Why not make an actual poll?

10-A

Funny Valentine

Yoshikage Kira

The poll was created at 01:43 on March 22, 2019, and so far 30 people voted.
Please wait, submitting your vote...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back