• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Berdly fights literally just a real falcon.

10-B Deltarune matches are the future.

Berdly (Light World key) Vs. Peregrine Falcon.

Both are 10-B, in-character but willing to kill. They start 5 meters apart, and the battlefield is outside of Sans' shop in Hometown. Berdly can't create fountains.

Berdly: 6

Bird: 6

Last edited:
AFAIK, Light World Berdly has no combat experience. The most athletic things we've seen him done are stand on his desk dramatically, & carry his school books (When both his arms are in-tact.), & otherwise, he just does volunteer work at the library. He plays video games, but IDK about much else.

If Berdly's bone structure is anything like a real bird, he has hollow bones. Blue Jays have hollow bones, right?
What about Peregrine Falcons? Do they have hollow bones?
If so, Berdly could TRY slapping the falcon with his big arm; Hollow boned-ness means blunt force is devastating to birds, but this might be very harmful to Berdly, too.

With the falcon's 10-C Durability, this might work if Berdly has the guts to try it & it lands, but....

Speed: Superhuman normally (Has an average horizontal speed ranging from 16 to 25 m/s but has been known to reach top speeds of 31 m/s), Subsonic when diving (Has been recorded to reach speeds of 89 m/s but some have reached speeds of approximately 108.1 m/s)

The falcon is probably going to way outspeed him. If it's in his face, he MIGHT be able to slap it, but if it's outside it might fly away, then dive down: A typical tactic for IRL peregrine falcons, AFAIK is to dive down, using their speed, & clutching their talons like a fist to basically do a high-speed punch to knock out their prey.

Attack Potency: Varies from Human level to Street level (The kinetic energy held by an average peregrine falcon weighing 0.915 kg while flying normally is approximately 117 J, while the kinetic energy held by a diving falcon is approximately 3.6 kilojoules. They use this via digging claws into objects at this speed, thus not being killed by the collision and allowing them to stab animals with their talons at this KE)

Meaning yes, Berdly getting literally falcon punched is a plausible outcome to this match, especially if the falcon decides it needs to do this to deal with a larger creature.

Voting the falcon for better mobility, piercing damage, & potentially just being able to obliterate him with the IRL version of the Falcon Punch; I doubt he has the reactions to see it coming, let alone dodge it, & Berdly's own win condition relies on a faster, flying, relatively small target failing to dodge him trying to slap it with his own wing. (& even then, he may not even be in one-shot range.)

AFAIK, Light World Berdly has no combat experience. The most athletic things we've seen him done are stand on his desk dramatically, & carry his school books (When both his arms are in-tact.), & otherwise, he just does volunteer work at the library. He plays video games, but IDK about much else.

If Berdly's bone structure is anything like a real bird, he has hollow bones. Blue Jays have hollow bones, right?
If so, Berdly could TRY slapping the falcon with his big arm; Hollow boned-ness means blunt force is devastating to birds, but this might be very harmful to Berdly, too.

With the falcon's 10-C Durability, this might work if Berdly has the guts to try it & it lands, but....

Speed: Superhuman normally (Has an average horizontal speed ranging from 16 to 25 m/s but has been known to reach top speeds of 31 m/s), Subsonic when diving (Has been recorded to reach speeds of 89 m/s but some have reached speeds of approximately 108.1 m/s)

The falcon is probably going to way outspeed him. If it's in his face, he MIGHT be able to slap it, but if it's outside it might fly away, then dive down: A typical tactic for IRL peregrine falcons, AFAIK is to dive down, using their speed, & clutching their talons like a fist to basically do a high-speed punch to knock out their prey.

Attack Potency: Varies from Human level to Street level (The kinetic energy held by an average peregrine falcon weighing 0.915 kg while flying normally is approximately 117 J, while the kinetic energy held by a diving falcon is approximately 3.6 kilojoules. They use this via digging claws into objects at this speed, thus not being killed by the collision and allowing them to stab animals with their talons at this KE)

Meaning yes, Berdly getting literally falcon punched is a plausible outcome to this match, especially if the falcon decides it needs to do this to deal with a larger creature.

Voting the falcon for better mobility, piercing damage, & potentially just being able to obliterate him with the IRL version of the Falcon Punch; I doubt he has the reactions to see it coming, let alone dodge it, & Berdly's own win condition relies on a faster, flying, relatively small target failing to dodge him trying to slap it with his own wing. (& even then, he may not even be in one-shot range.)

lol (Falcon) FRA

Last edited:
Restricted to his 10-B stuff, powers that result in a higher tier can be restricted.
That's the thing, though. You didn't restrict him, you just stated they start in their 10-B keys.

You should probably say he is unable to create dark fountains in the OP.

Otherwise, Falcon FRA (3 votes now)

... I'm sorry, what's stopping Berdly from creating a Dark Fountain and winning?
Creation, Reality Warping and Darkness Manipulation (As a Lightner, Berdly can open Dark Fountains in the Light World with a sharp object and enough Determination, turning the affected area into a Dark World)

Keywords: "with a sharp object".

Standard Equipment: Holy Halbird

(Why his Equipment doesn't have Keys or something denoting the Holy Halbird is Dark World only, since there's no precedent he has this in the LW. A teenager regularly carrying a weapon nearly as long as he is tall is hard to miss.)

But yeah, to answer your question, what's stopping Berdly from creating a dark fountain and winning is that he LACKS a sharp object with which to do so.
& given he's 10-B, I'm skeptical he can pierce the ground with his beak.
Not to mention I'm unsure his first instinct to a bird attacking him would be "I should smash my face into the Earth to create a magical realm where I & definitely not this bird have superpowers so I can kick its feathery tail!", whether he has the capability or not.

Creation, Reality Warping and Darkness Manipulation (As a Lightner, Berdly can open Dark Fountains in the Light World with a sharp object and enough Determination, turning the affected area into a Dark World)

Keywords: "with a sharp object".

Standard Equipment: Holy Halbird

(Why his Equipment doesn't have Keys or something denoting the Holy Halbird is Dark World only, since there's no precedent he has this in the LW. A teenager regularly carrying a weapon nearly as long as he is tall is hard to miss.)

But yeah, to answer your question, what's stopping Berdly from creating a dark fountain and winning is that he LACKS a sharp object with which to do so.
& given he's 10-B, I'm skeptical he can pierce the ground with his beak.
Not to mention I'm unsure his first instinct to a bird attacking him would be "I should smash my face into the Earth to create a magical realm where I & definitely not this bird have superpowers so I can kick its feathery tail!", whether he has the capability or not.
He can literally grab anything remotely sharp (he was going to create one with the Halbird) from the ground. Or from Sans' shop, etc, etc.

He can literally grab anything remotely sharp (he was going to create one with the Halbird) from the ground. Or from Sans' shop, etc, etc.
They're outside the shop not in it, & if the falcon is attacking him at the time, he's under duress. Not exactly ideal conditions for searching for something sharp.
Not to mention I'm not sure what sufficiently sharp objects are READILY available in Sans's shop. There's groceries & Christmas cards, but I don't know of it selling knives.

& again, all this is predicated on the assumption that Berdly's big instinct to solve this problem is to envelop the local area in a Dark Fountain, despite the dangerous consequences he knows this has; Not just The Roaring, but monsters being about & citizens being put in unusual situations, like Noelle getting kidnapped.

As opposed to like, just try to swat this oddly aggressive bird with one of his school books.

The whole point about berdly having hollow bones is just an assumption with no basis. If he had bird biology he wouldn’t be able to do anything he does in the game, especially considering he’s a monster to begin with so he wouldn’t be comparable in that aspect
Berdly’s combat experience also would transfer over from the dark world since it’s not like he’d forget everything that happened and lose his memories after leaving it (we know Noelle didn’t)

And about speed, it wouldn’t be that hard to see it coming considering that the bird would start pretty far away from him, at least for an aim dodge or something. Berdly is already human-like in terms of intelligence, so he’s more likely to outsmart the bird too. Why would you except the bird to dodge berdly’s attacks anyways if it’s flying? Momentum in real life makes it way harder to just go back and forth immediately to dodge stuff

overall I’m not even decided on the vote but I just think the points you brought up are mostly invalid

Berdley: I can’t wait to buy some new pencils! After all, I do deserve the best utensils and , I am the smartest person in class and an A+ student compared to those simpletons like Kris!!! Noelle will be so impressed!!!

Some random ******* bird: Look at this simp. People like this make me sick. I’m going to ******* kill him.

Berdley: WT-

Berdley: dies

The whole point about berdly having hollow bones is just an assumption with no basis. If he had bird biology he wouldn’t be able to do anything he does in the game, especially considering he’s a monster to begin with so he wouldn’t be comparable in that aspect
Berdly’s combat experience also would transfer over from the dark world since it’s not like he’d forget everything that happened and lose his memories after leaving it (we know Noelle didn’t)

And about speed, it wouldn’t be that hard to see it coming considering that the bird would start pretty far away from him, at least for an aim dodge or something. Berdly is already human-like in terms of intelligence, so he’s more likely to outsmart the bird too. Why would you except the bird to dodge berdly’s attacks anyways if it’s flying? Momentum in real life makes it way harder to just go back and forth immediately to dodge stuff

overall I’m not even decided on the vote but I just think the points you brought up are mostly invalid
What’s mainly troubling me is the fact that berdly’s lifting strength isn’t assumed to be average human on his profile
Since I personally would try to strangle it or something if I were forced to fight the bird

On second thought tho, the fact that you brought up the point about hollow bones means that berdly likely just slaps and kills it
I guess I’ll vote berdly if it means preventing grace

What are your examples for this? How do we know him say, lifting books isn't just good LS? Plus, he's more durable in the Dark World, so that'd explain him surviving stuff.
But I get your point about being a monster. Still, what's the evidence monsters don't have bones & aren't similar to real world counterparts?
What combat experience would transfer over? His Dark World combat experience is summoning his Halbird & shooting projectiles. Never any CQC & never shown to dodge. Perhaps he does dodge, like the Delta Warriors did in that 1 cutscene, but if so, his mannerisms in doing so are unclear.

Not to mention his LW reactions probably aren't similar to his DW reactions, which would hinder him using those inherited instincts.
My assumption of it being able to dodge is Berdly being Average Human with no justification (5 m/s baseline, 7.7 m/s maximum), while the falcon has:
Speed: Superhuman normally (Has an average horizontal speed ranging from 16 to 25 m/s but has been known to reach top speeds of 31 m/s)

Going by the numbers on the profile, it's slowest "normal" speed listed is twice, if not thrice as much as Berdly's own Speed. But yes, momentum is a problem, but it should be able to build up some, especially with a 5 meter starting distance; Falcons, as said, hunt by effectively doing high-speed talon-punches, & momentum works in its favor.
I don't know if they do or not, but if it goes for the eyes that could also help hinder Berdly counterattacking.
What’s mainly troubling me is the fact that berdly’s lifting strength isn’t assumed to be average human on his profile
I'm unsure about it, too. It might have to do with him being unable to carry his books when his arm is broken? (In theory, he could one-armedly hold them in his arm to his torso, but he doesn't/can't, for example.)
Since I personally would try to strangle it or something if I were forced to fight the bird
It may be difficult to get a grip on it. If it's near enough to grab, it's gonna be flap-slapping, clawing &/or pecking at his hands/arms/wings, if it isn't just flying away to "Falcon punch" him again, or trying to get at his head/eyes.
On second thought tho, the fact that you brought up the point about hollow bones means that berdly likely just slaps and kills it
I guess I’ll vote berdly if it means preventing grace
Besides the aforementioned difficulties (& also the question of just how we're trying to say Berdly would act first? Search for a sharp object, whether there's anything viable or not? Try to strangle? Try to slap? Hide?), this assumes the Falcon is that low in durability. While hollow bones do mean blunt force is devastating, & it is Below Average Human in Durability, we don't know where in BAH it is, & it can't be baseline because that's 0 Joules, not to mention they have a justification:
Durability: Below Average Human level (Can survive being attacked by other falcons and even large owls)

(I do wonder if this means Falcons survive one anothers' "punches"??)

Still, the point is, Light World Berdly is Baseline Average Human: 40 Joules. You don't have to be far into BAH for that to not be a one-shot, & if the falcon survives the first hit, it'll probably realize it needs to go in for a harder hit, & fly up high to do a dive bomb.
& Berdly might not even realize what he's doing if he's not familiar with falcon behaviour; If he is often as conceited as he acts, he might think it retreated & be caught off-guard when it comes down at several tens of meters per second.

What are your examples for this? How do we know him say, lifting books isn't just good LS? Plus, he's more durable in the Dark World, so that'd explain him surviving stuff.
But I get your point about being a monster. Still, what's the evidence monsters don't have bones & aren't similar to real world counterparts?

What combat experience would transfer over? His Dark World combat experience is summoning his Halbird & shooting projectiles. Never any CQC & never shown to dodge. Perhaps he does dodge, like the Delta Warriors did in that 1 cutscene, but if so, his mannerisms in doing so are unclear.

Not to mention his LW reactions probably aren't similar to his DW reactions, which would hinder him using those inherited instincts.

My assumption of it being able to dodge is Berdly being Average Human with no justification (5 m/s baseline, 7.7 m/s maximum), while the falcon has:
Speed: Superhuman normally (Has an average horizontal speed ranging from 16 to 25 m/s but has been known to reach top speeds of 31 m/s)

Going by the numbers on the profile, it's slowest "normal" speed listed is twice, if not thrice as much as Berdly's own Speed. But yes, momentum is a problem, but it should be able to build up some, especially with a 5 meter starting distance; Falcons, as said, hunt by effectively doing high-speed talon-punches, & momentum works in its favor.
I don't know if they do or not, but if it goes for the eyes that could also help hinder Berdly counterattacking.

I'm unsure about it, too. It might have to do with him being unable to carry his books when his arm is broken? (In theory, he could one-armedly hold them in his arm to his torso, but he doesn't/can't, for example.)

It may be difficult to get a grip on it. If it's near enough to grab, it's gonna be flap-slapping, clawing &/or pecking at his hands/arms/wings, if it isn't just flying away to "Falcon punch" him again, or trying to get at his head/eyes.

Besides the aforementioned difficulties (& also the question of just how we're trying to say Berdly would act first? Search for a sharp object, whether there's anything viable or not? Try to strangle? Try to slap? Hide?), this assumes the Falcon is that low in durability. While hollow bones do mean blunt force is devastating, & it is Below Average Human in Durability, we don't know where in BAH it is, & it can't be baseline because that's 0 Joules, not to mention they have a justification:
Durability: Below Average Human level (Can survive being attacked by other falcons and even large owls)

Still, the point is, Light World Berdly is Baseline Average Human: 40 Joules. You don't have to be far into BAH for that to not be a one-shot, & if the falcon survives the first hit, it'll probably realize it needs to go in for a harder hit, & fly up high to do a dive bomb.
& Berdly might not even realize what he's doing if he's not familiar with falcon behaviour; If he is often as conceited as he acts, he might think it retreated & be caught off-guard when it comes down at several tens of meters per second.
This is a real life animal in the match. He's not going to outspeed someone he is trying to attack, birds don't do that.

This is basically a human vs a bird. Does Berdly have opposable thumbs? If so, what stops him from just grabbing the bird?

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--472387733.jpeg
He seems to have fingers rather than wings.

You bring up good enough points, but it still comes down to 2 things that can kill eachother relatively easily
It’s just bird vs human as the other guy said, berdly is obviously the smarter of the two
One problem I do have is still speed
By momentum I think you misunderstood me. If he’s already flying at berdly then it’d be unrealistic that he can suddenly shift its body to dodge an attack
Which matters because well, it’s supposed to be realistic, it’s a real bird. Berdly isn’t really gonna get speed blitzed by the Falcon at all

I’m neutral right now but possibly leaning on Berdley. Both can one-shot but if the eagle doesn’t kill Berdley with that built up attack or misses some how, he gets punched, kicked, or gets books thrown at him.

First off, the falcon isn’t gonna go for a falcon punch here. A falcon punch requires a lot of speed achieved through dive bombing a target, so a lot of this is downwards velocity. It couldn’t then decelerate 90m/s in less than 2m, so it would just splat itself in the ground, the bird is too smart to do something like that.

Yeah and Berdley can just do anything and one-shots the falcon. I think I’m going to go with Berdley. The bird would require time to build up the falcon punch and could possibly be dodged or blocked by Berdley. Plus there’s the fact that Berdley could possibly survive the attack while a punch or kick could easily knock out or kill the bird. Take away the 9-C attack and it’s just a teenager vs a bird lol.

1 vote before grace and the direction of the debate suddenly changed
this is the most anime thing I've seen on this site (ironically not involving any anime characters fighting)

First off, the falcon isn’t gonna go for a falcon punch here. A falcon punch requires a lot of speed achieved through dive bombing a target, so a lot of this is downwards velocity. It couldn’t then decelerate 90m/s in less than 2m, so it would just splat itself in the ground, the bird is too smart to do something like that.
What do you mean it wouldn't? & the profile explains how they survive it.

Plus, if it's really trying to kill Berdly, wouldn't it be aware he's larger, & thus, the falcon should use an attack it uses for larger/hardier prey?

Plus, if it's really trying to kill Berdly, wouldn't it be aware he's larger, & thus, the falcon should use an attack it uses for larger/hardier prey?
This is very misleading. First, 3.6Kj would be a full body slam against the target, birds don't do that.
Second, below average human durability, Berdly can just slam the bird.

Third, considering both are aware of each other, and the bird doesn't even go for a dive unless they're aiming at an unaware or easy pray, it ain't using that.

Again, this is just human bird vs bird, and it's baffling how it's argued that the real bird wins against the one with human intellect.

Did you read what I wrote?
I never said it’d hurt itself hitting Berdly, but that if it tried this near the ground it would just smash into it at near top speed. These birds have very fine tuned understanding of their flight path and speed, if they’re dive bombing towards a grounded opponent at full speed, they’ll know they can’t decelerate in time after they hit it.

This is very misleading. First, 3.6Kj would be a full body slam against the target, birds don't do that.
If that is the case, then such information on the profile needs to be corrected. But Street Level begins at 100 Joules, so even without reaching 3,600 Joules, the bird can achieve it.
Second, below average human durability, Berdly can just slam the bird.
Addressed earlier. We don't know where into BAH it is, & it has justifications, & BAH probably can't be baseline because that'd be 0 joules.
Ergo, we don't know if it's in one-shot range.
Baseline Berdly is 40 joules, so he could easily be in survivable range.
Not to mention I'm pretty sure even with momentums, falcons can dodge people trying to hit them.
(& if it's using its horizontal flight speed, it's lowest speed for that is more than twice Berdly's highest speed.)
Third, considering both are aware of each other, and the bird doesn't even go for a dive unless they're aiming at an unaware or easy pray, it ain't using that.
Then what would you argue it uses? They don't normally hunt prey this large, AFAIK.
What would it do, as opposed to flying away to prepare a dive-bomb?
Again, this is just human bird vs bird, and it's baffling how it's argued that the real bird wins against the one with human intellect.
I'd say Berdly isn't the most physically fit example & is avian-like themselves, but yes.

If that is the case, then such information on the profile needs to be corrected. But Street Level begins at 100 Joules, so even without reaching 3,600 Joules, the bird can achieve it.

Addressed earlier. We don't know where into BAH it is, & it has justifications, & BAH probably can't be baseline because that'd be 0 joules.
Ergo, we don't know if it's in one-shot range.
Baseline Berdly is 40 joules, so he could easily be in survivable range.
Not to mention I'm pretty sure even with momentums, falcons can dodge people trying to hit them.
(& if it's using its horizontal flight speed, it's lowest speed for that is more than twice Berdly's highest speed.)
Humans can kill birds with blunt force, or cripple the bird with attacks. This is real life, energy levels are not really important here. About speed... Pretty sure that's running speed, cuz even average humans can swing faster than 5m/s.

And no, if the Falcon is on the offensive, and Berdly is smarter, he can grab, break his neck, stomp on him, etc. Falcons don't have pigeon, or small birds kind of aerial movement due to its large size.
Then what would you argue it uses? They don't normally hunt prey this large, AFAIK.
What would it do, as opposed to flying away to prepare a dive-bomb?
He doesn't go full on dive, he will likely try to grip his claws onto Berdly. Berdly is smart enough to counter the Berdly at any point.
I'd say Berdly isn't the most physically fit example & is avian-like themselves, but yes.

Humans can kill birds with blunt force, or cripple the bird with attacks.
In theory, but not usually with a single hit, I'd assume, & certainly not a 10-B who doesn't even make "Athletic Human".
This is real life, energy levels are not really important here.
Nonetheless, the Berdly is the bare minimum to be 10-B
About speed... Pretty sure that's running speed, cuz even average humans can swing faster than 5m/s.
While I can believe that, do we have any documentation for this?
And no, if the Falcon is on the offensive, and Berdly is smarter, he can grab, break his neck,
I would assume these are difficult, even with a stationary eye-level target, due to the falcon pecking, clawing, & smacking with wings, I'd assume.
stomp on him, etc.
STOMP on a mid-air target?
He doesn't go full on dive, he will likely try to grip his claws onto Berdly. Berdly is smart enough to counter the Berdly at any point.
While I can believe this might be accurate, arguments about whether the falcon would dive or claw makes me wish we had more documentation on the behaviour. Dare I ask your source on this behavioural info?

reminder that the bird has 10-C dura
this matchup is basically just a question of wether one of us participating in the thread could beat the bird in a fight or not
and I personally would simply smack it and one shot it, if it tried to dive at me I'm gonna grab whatever I can to protect myself and just use its own force against it, since if more than just the claws hit the person then the bird basically kills itself from the impact
anyways bmp

reminder that the bird has 10-C dura
But where in 10-C?
this matchup is basically just a question of wether one of us participating in the thread could beat the bird in a fight or not
and I personally would simply smack it and one shot it, if it tried to dive at me I'm gonna grab whatever I can to protect myself and just use its own force against it, since if more than just the claws hit the person then the bird basically kills itself from the impact
I think that is a reasonable assessment but I don't know if that's what Berdly would do by his characterization. Not to mention, outside of Sans's store, I'm not sure what he could readily grab that would count as a weapon. (Though it could be argued a book might be useful.)

Still yeah, this match does feel weird, since if we're arguing Berdly is entirely like a human (No hollow bones unlike actual birds because he's a monster, he can't fly, etc.) it's practically just a regular human vs an IRL bird.

But where in 10-C?

I think that is a reasonable assessment but I don't know if that's what Berdly would do by his characterization. Not to mention, outside of Sans's store, I'm not sure what he could readily grab that would count as a weapon. (Though it could be argued a book might be useful.)

Still yeah, this match does feel weird, since if we're arguing Berdly is entirely like a human (No hollow bones unlike actual birds because he's a monster, he can't fly, etc.) it's practically just a regular human vs an IRL bird.
by the way would monsters having no blood and stuff make it so that he...doesn't really have vital points? I mean we just have never really seen any kind of situation where a monster gets stabbed in the chest or something and they're like "aaaaaahhhh I'm bleeding out"
maybe I'm reading too much into it tho

Back