• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Avatar and Lightning Redirection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that the Avatar: TLAB characters that use Lightning Redirection are classified at Sub-Sonic+ to Supersonic speed. Why?

It's logical to assume that in order to redirect lightning, they have to catch it first, right? Take, for example, Zuko's and Azula's Agni Kai, specifically when Azula shot lightning at Katara. Zuko jumped in front of the lightning to protect Katara. This was during Sozin's Comet, which increased it's capabilities.

I happened to find this stating that while the speed of lightning differs depending on atmospheric conditions, it typically travels at 224,000 mph: http://www.answers.com/Q/How_fast_does_lightning_travel

I also can't find anything saying generated lightning is any different than natural lightning, in fact, Iroh redirected natural lightning in "The Storm."

So, shouldn't Iroh, Zuko, and Aang be Hypersonic level?

This sounds logical enough, but we'd probably need a link to a specific instance of this occuring to better verify the feat, examine it, etc.

Alright, I'll see if anyone is able to take a look at this. Unfortunately I'm sort of busy, myself, at least at the moment, so you'll have to wait a bit for me...

These feats have been calced before and put at Mach 11. There's also a feat for Korra where she reacts to and shields herself as a bomb is exploding. I'll try to find citations for both

Lightning Generation, also known as cold-blooded fire, is a sub-skillwithin firebending that allows a firebender to produce lightning by separating the positive and negative energies internally, before directing it up through the arm and out the fingertips. This for sure is real lightning......I thought this was in this was noted in this wiki already and disproven somehow:/

Agreed we can clearly see he reacted to the Cloud-Ground Lightning so it follows the rules we have set here it may be dodging but it still shows reaction speeds needed.

As for who this applies to, Katara (Dodged it), Aang (Dodged it and redirected it), Zuko (Dodged and redirected it), Toph (Should be on a similar level to at least Katara who can dodge it), Iroh (Could redirect it), Azula (On a similar level to Zuko), and Ozai (Can shoot and redirect it)

HomestuckLover1 said:
As for who this applies to, Katara (Dodged it), Aang (Dodged it and redirected it), Zuko (Dodged and redirected it), Toph (Should be on a similar level to at least Katara who can dodge it), Iroh (Could redirect it), Azula (On a similar level to Zuko), and Ozai (Can shoot and redirect it)
On a completely semi-unrelated note (sorry if this breaks any rules, it's my first time), I want to get a lock on how fast Toph is. How fast are Combustion Man's heat beams, and how fast is a typical explosion? I ask because Toph dodged one of his explosions in "The Beach," and blocked one of his heat beams at the end of "The Runaway."

Fairly certain it was clearly called outlier, and Avatar verse characters consistently get tagged by much slower speed

Faisal Shourov said:
Fairly certain it was clearly called outlier, and Avatar verse characters consistently get tagged by much slower speed
It was called an outlier despite these moves being dodged multiple times. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

HomestuckLover1 said:
It was called an outlier despite these moves being dodged multiple times. Sorry, I'm not buying it.
The only valid lightning timing feat is Iroh's one. Lightning created from bending is not real lightning. We only consider cloud to ground lightning as legit

The only valid lightning timing feat is Iroh's one. Lightning created from bending is not real lightning. We only consider cloud to ground lightning as legit

The feat I listed wasn't even Iroh's feat and still got Mach 12

Faisal Shourov said:
HomestuckLover1 said:
So have you found proof that generated lightning is slower than natural? Where is it?

A DB Fan named Jake said:
Faisal Shourov said:
HomestuckLover1 said:
So have you found proof that generated lightning is slower than natural? Where is it?
A firebender produces lightning by separating the positive and negative energies internally, before directing it up through the arm and out the fingertips.

Faisal Shourov said:
Oda also said devil fruits are natural elements, but dodging Enel's lightning wouldn't make Nami MHS+. Iroh's statement can't be used here for the sake of fairness to other verses
I fail to see how that affects it.

If Enel or Nami (idk who either of them are) is MHS+, then they are.

Are we striving for accuracy or favoritism?

Aparajita said:

Enel and Nami are from One Piece. Enel is a logia devil fruit user who can turn his entire body into lightning. However we don't use Enel's lightning as real lightning for combat, nor we use Kizaru's (a light devil fruit user) laser beam as real light. Otherwise Zoro would be FTL Pre Timeskip if we take Oda's words for granted. We use the same standard for every verse, I'm failry certain Lightning bending in Avatar is the same as Enel's lightning bolts

Faisal Shourov said:
Aparajita said:
Enel and Nami are from One Piece. Enel is a logia devil fruit user who can turn his entire body into lightning. However we don't use Enel's lightning as real lightning for combat, nor we use Kizaru's (a light devil fruit user) laser beam as real light. Otherwise Zoro would be FTL Pre Timeskip if we take Oda's words for granted. We use the same standard for every verse, I'm failry certain Lightning bending in Avatar is the same as Enel's lightning bolts
Lightning is created from attractions between protons and electrons a.k.a. positive and negative energy

Iroh states that to create lightning, a firebender must separate positive energy from negative energy (protons and electrons). When the energies come crashing back, or attract each other, the bender provides guidance and release, creating lightning.

Doesn't seem like anything different than natural. It's almost like static electricity. Maybe Zoro and Nami ARE that fast, ever consider that

er, you're not going to find anything because it's magical lightning.

as for bending there has been said to be positive and negative power as a source of energy(not electrons and protons, the author probably just took that from real life, and applied it to make magical lightning energy) like Zuko being unable to fuel his flames because he relied on positive energy now instead of anger.

That being said, maybe there is a calc for the Lightning Bending speed if you looked around

Well, as far as I understand, all battleboard communities have had the standard of not accepting non-natural lightning or lasers for a long time. I am not informed enough to start changing this.

As for this feat, I am uncertain given that the Avatar and Korra characters were generally shown to be quite slow, comparatively speaking, but it depends on whether the rest of the staff members accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back