• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Avatar and Lightning Redirection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Antvasima said:
Well, as far as I understand, all battleboard communities have had the standard of not accepting non-natural lightning or lasers for a long time. I am not informed enough to stsrt changing this.
As for this feat, I am uncertain given that the Avatar and Korra characters were generally shown to be quite slow, comparatively speaking, but it depends on whether the rest of the staff members accept it.
That feat has two issues. One's lightning from bending, another one is cinematic timing. DontTalk is our expert on both these fields, we would need to have the calc approved at first

Even then as you said, Avatar characters are consistently much slower than that feat, so that has to be taken into account as well

Well, you can check out the rules page that DontTalk wrote concerning Cinematic Time. I haven't had the time, focus, and energy to sit down and understand it properly yet though.

LordAizenSama said:
er, you're not going to find anything because it's magical lightning.
as for bending there has been said to be positive and negative power as a source of energy(not electrons and protons, the author probably just took that from real life, and applied it to make magical lightning energy) like Zuko being unable to fuel his flames because he relied on positive energy now instead of anger.

That being said, maybe there is a calc for the Lightning Bending speed if you looked around
As I said, if you and Faisal want proof that lightningbending has similar properties to natural lightning, here's Mako frying Ming Hua in Legend of Korra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZwTjfFnBVY

And according to this, Republic City is powered by lightningbending. The lightning is even stored in batteries, like natural electricity: http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Republic_City_power_plant

There was only 1 instance of dodging real lightning,when Iroh was looking at it where his hands were already up.All other is artifical lightning created by bender.

Even if it was right,it would be outlier,beacuse that wouldnt put few characters at that speed,it would put eveey relevant character and therir mother at similiar speeds?And then you have huge jump for whole verse based on 1 feat.

And nornal people were able to see Zuko's moves aswell as Iroh's just fine.

So,no,they stay where they are

I agree that an entire world filled with massively hypersonic fodder seems extremely unlikely.

Antvasima said:
I agree that an entire world filled with massively hypersonic fodder seems extremely unlikely.
What about the 20,000 shinobi that participated in the Shinobi war?

Or the countless thousands of people who have watched fights *without even having powers to begin with*, like the civilians during the Kohona Crush, the Gaara Retrieval Arc, etc.

I feel like other verses have been upgraded for less.

Faisal Shourov said:
Aparajita said:
I fail to see how that affects it.
If Enel or Nami (idk who either of them are) is MHS+, then they are.
Are we striving for accuracy or favoritism?
Enel and Nami are from One Piece. Enel is a logia devil fruit user who can turn his entire body into lightning. However we don't use Enel's lightning as real lightning for combat, nor we use Kizaru's (a light devil fruit user) laser beam as real light. Otherwise Zoro would be FTL Pre Timeskip if we take Oda's words for granted. We use the same standard for every verse, I'm failry certain Lightning bending in Avatar is the same as Enel's lightning bolts
This is very interesting information that I'm going to bring up very soon. Is there a page that explains this policy in detail?

Okay no.

1) The reason Avatar wasn't upgraded was because there used to only be one lightning calc that was Cloud to Ground and it was Iroh's. It is somewhat considered an outlier, as no similar speedfeats are shown in the verse itself (up until Aang and Azula)

2) The burden of proof is not on the wiki to prove that the lightning is not actual lightning, it is on the people who wish to edit this wiki to prove that the lightning is real. Just because there is polarity involved in avatar's explanation of lightning does not mean it is actual lightning. Furthermore, lightning is essentially plasma - channeling plasma through your body is a pretty bad idea and non-consistent with how firebenders utilize their own heat. So no, the burden of proof for bending lightning from the body=actual lightning is nowhere close to met. You can say it is electricity maybe, but not lightning.

3) I need to look at the Azula lightning calc a bit more before I decide on this topic. I think there is an iroh one hanging around and the two together may be enough to warrant a hypersonic upgrade, just not a HHS or MHS upgrade in the least.

well, by our calcs for lightning it would be 440,000 metres a second instead of the OBDs 150,000

However it still wouldn't even be supersonic. it is indeed worthless.

A DB Fan named Jake said:
Alakabamm said:
Dodging lightning=/=lightning speed
Proof?
Really now?

You need proof for common logic ,well then i should give you proof.

Simple example

Lightning falls towards character A at 200,000 m/s

Character A starts moving when lightning is 1 km (= 1000 m) away from him

Time it takes for the lightning to reach him = Distance / Speed = 1000 / 200000 = 0.005 sec

Distance Character A moved during that time = 2 m

Speed = Distance / Time = 2 / 0.005 = 400 m/s

So, should we use the Narutoforum calculatio to upgrade the characters (adjusted for that we use a different average lightning speed standard of 440000 m/s)? Or should we consider it as an outlier?

Well doing a quick plug & chug with the 440,000 m/s:

Cloud -> Groud

2000m = d

we'll say he moved his arms about a meter.

440 km/s is the average speed of lightning here, that's 440,000 m/s

t= d/v = 2000m/440000m/s

you get the timeframe to be 0.0045s

1m / .0045s = 222.22 m/s

so yea lol

I think currently most are rated SubSonic+ (whether it's because of this feat or something else, I am not sure) if we said this was a outlier I have no idea where that would put them

LordAizenSama said:
I think currently most are rated SubSonic+ (whether it's because of this feat or something else, I am not sure) if we said this was a outlier I have no idea where that would put them
Faster than wind? I dunno.

^i think at some point katara reacted to a crossbow arrow fired at her..maybe, that would make them peak human, maybe low-superhuman reaction speed at most :(

@LAS Okay. Then we do not have to rescale them. We can simply insert a link to the calculation in Iroh's page, and note that we are making an adjustment to 440000 m/s to scale upwards 2.93 times.

LordAizenSama said:
They are rated as such because of the feat you are discussing.

I have now inserted a link to the calculation, along with an explanation note, into Iroh's page. So, should we consider this topic concluded, and ready to close?

Whether it's considered a outlier or not i'm honestly not sure, i'd be interested in seeing what people think

Okay. The speed isn't particularly extreme though. And as somebody mentioned earlier, given this, there are various other franchises that the "massively hypersonic average citizens" inconsistency would apply much better to. So perhaps we should attempt to treat the Avatar series more fairly in this sense?

that sounds fine to me, in that case I don't think theres anything else to discuss in this thread then

it's probably his Avatar form, there should be two keys for his speed there, Sub-Sonic+ and Supersonic (if i remember correctly he was moving at supersonic speeds versus Ozai in avatar state)

Hmm. That would be a problem. "At least Subsonic+ (scaling from Iroh)" seems like a more appropriate rating.

Can you checkup which Avatar and Korra pages that use higher scaling than what seems warranted?

Sorry. I was replying before I updated the page to read your posts. Anyway, if he was shown to move at Supersonic speeds in the avatar state, we should probably keep the rating.

I cannot recall perfectly if he did so I may be wrong,to be on the safeside At least Subsonic+ is probably better unless anyone has a calc for aang

I will check if he has an OBD profile that links to any calculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back