• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Anime Feats in Mob Psycho 100

Dargoo_Faust

Blue Doggo Enthusiast
VS Battles
Retired
Since the consensus of this was sort of vague on the other thread , I'll adress it here.

I feel like we can use Anime Feats from MP100. I used to take issue with them being generally far higher and inconsistent with the Manga, but after some additional calculations that were recently approved, there is a startling level of consistency. That, and while he didn't have a crazy amount of direct involvement, ONE still worked with them a bit, and seemed to approve/like it's action and was fine with the animator who made the frankly awesome scenes.

Yeah, he clearly notes that they can take creative liberties in pretty much everything, but the Anime is consistent with the manga and rather faithful; it's feats just tend to come out higher. But it's not that much higher anymore, iirc the different beween the same feat in the anime/manga is only a couple dozen kilotons from 22 to 138.

Same goes for lower-tiered feats; we already rank Mob and other top-tier espers as stupidly above .73 Tons for taking no damage from such an explosion while being powerdrained. Lo and behold, the manga has Shimazaki going all out and doing a 3.09 Ton feat. Ishiguro also has a High 8-C+ feat but I'm fine with considering that as too high. Otherwise High 8-C Ishiguro and 8-B Ultimate 5/Base Mob makes sense if we want to take it serously.

tl;dr: The anime is consistent with the manga, only slightly higher. I feel like there's no issue using its feats for profiles similar to how we use Manga calcs for OPM profiles since the webcomic is rather vague in its artstyle.

I feel like I can implement this, then, unless there's more input to be given.

Is the manga being clearer than the Web comic really why it's used? Iirc the Manga is actually supposed to take precedence over the Web comic, seeing as how Garou no longer scales above Rover after the Manga retconned the webcomic scene.

Andytrenom said:
Is the manga being clearer than the Web comic really why it's used? Iirc the Manga is actually supposed to take precedence over the Web comic, seeing as how Garou no longer scales above Rover after the Manga retconned the webcomic scene.
Are you talking about OPM? Mob Psycho doesn't have a webcomic, it has a manga by ONE and an anime by Studio Bones.

That said the manga style is about as refined as the OPM webcomic, iirc

Also I was talking about Garou so you should have pieced that together yourself

I don't know enough about OPM to comment, I'm mostly just talking about MP100 here.

As far as I know we do not use anime when it's just the same feat but playing out differently, we use it when there's one aspect of the feat that is unknown in the manga but clear in the anime.

What's the situation here?

In terms of OPM the manga takes predence because ONE still writes and/or approves of everything in it. He's veto'ed plenty of stuff from Murata to the point where the latter has gone on record saying he's drawn multiple volumes worth of rejected material a couple years ago. So the manga takes precedence because the original author is still heavily involved in the work and uses it to expand on stuff he couldn't cover before.

As for the MP100 stuff I'm iffy on using it. Without stuff like the Fairy Tail author repeatably making statements that the anime is canon I don't think it should be used. Adaptions of a source materiel without heavy author involvement shouldn't take precedence over the core work imo and to my knowledge ONE doesn't have a single directing or script note in the anime (besides it being based on his work of course).

Qawsedf234 said:
As for the MP100 stuff I'm iffy on using it. Without stuff like the Fairy Tail author repeatably making statements that the anime is canon I don't think it should be used. Adaptions of a source materiel without heavy author involvement shouldn't take precedence over the core work imo and to my knowledge ONE doesn't have a single directing or script note in the anime (besides it being based on his work of course).
In the interview linked above it's clear he had involvement. How much is your guess, though. He even says that he approves of the person doing the action animation, heck.

It follows the manga to a T even in terms of feats. Some of them are slightly higher, relatively speaking, but are still consistent with the manga. For example, Shimazaki is currently "scales to someone completely unharmed by a .73 Ton attack while they were being rapidly drained of energy and weakened", while the anime has him exerting himself to perform a 3 Ton attack. It's rather consistent.

In the interview linked above it's clear he had involvement.

Every manga author has involvement with their anime. Its the level of involvement that determines if its used or not.

He even says that he approves of the person doing the action animation, heck.

He's said the same about MadHouse's animation before. While it is evidence, I don't think that's a slam dunk piece.

For example, Shimazaki is currently "scales to someone completely unharmed by a .73 Ton attack while they were being rapidly drained of energy and weakened", while the anime has him exerting himself to perform a 3 Ton attack. It's rather consistent.

I don't know enough about Mob itself to give major judgement on if it should be used. I just wanted to voice my concerns with using an anime adaption here since it can lead to possible inconsistencies in the future (e.g. "Why do we allow Mob to use anime feats and not Naruto/MHA/Berserk/X"). If the general opinion is that its fine to use anime feats then I won't disagree, I just think some stuff should be considered that's all.

ONE: The only thing I asked the staff to do was to keep the anime's Mob looking as close to the original as possible. But other than that, I'd rather an adaptation have some character to it than be a slave to the source, so I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of material the staff ends up adding to certain scenes, like Mob and Teruki's fight. Or the sections I abbreviated in the manga.
Again I make no illusion ONE was hands-off with his involvement. My main point is that the anime feats are generally within the same ballpark as the manga feats, and are clearer in artstyle in terms of determining potency.

Like take any shot with buildings in the manga; they're often drawn out of proportion when being destroyed which makes the feats hard to quantify.

I feel like anime feats should be fine as long as they aren't a massive outlier to manga feats; and are generally faithful to the manga. Going off of what Andy said (if there is stuff unclear in the manga and the anime clarifies the feat is fine) MP100 should be fine with many of its anime feats.

I don't follow any other series close enough to discuss anime/manga differences as a whole though.

Seems the general thread sentiment is okay with using the feats. I just wanted to voice the possible problems that I saw with it.

@Dargoo I'm talking about things that are unknown, not just unclear due to the artstyle

For example, Timeframe, or an object for pixel scaling which was absent in the manga due to the background being line clusters.

Andytrenom said:
@Dargoo I'm talking about things that are unknown, not just unclear due to the artstyle
For example, Timeframe, or an object for pixel scaling which was absent in the manga due to the background being line clusters.
This pretty much sums up Ryo's speed feat and the issues with a lot of the explosions in the sky in the webcomic where there was no ground objects to refernce for size.

Whereas the anime gave a better sense of scale/scope.

Qawsedf234 said:
Seems the general thread sentiment is okay with using the feats. I just wanted to voice the possible problems that I saw with it.
Yeah, I feel like Mob Psycho's small exceptions to the general rule won't have any effect on the longrunning anime/manga giants where minute differences throw wrenches in the scaling as a whole.

I have updated the pages, however I wanted to tackle another issue on this thread before I get busy later today:

I feel like we should separate Base Mob between the 7th Division Arc and after. Namely, he struggles against stronger Scars throughout that (Ishiguro, Koyama w/Helixes, etc), while he later directly fights the Ultimate 5 and scares the piss out of Shimazaki, who is in-legue with people who fodderize people who fodderize Scars.

What this means is that Scars would range from 9-A+ to baseline 8-C scaling from Terada's tree-shattering feats. Which is consistent with them being trashed by the Ultimate 5 w/out exploiting weaknesses.

Base Mob would be like

Small Building level+ (He and Teru can defeat lower-level Scars such as Terada and Miyagawa and have yada yada casual 9-A feats) | Large Building level (Whatever it says on his profile rn)

Key: Pre-Seventh Division Arc | Post-Seventh Division Arc

Hmm. I'm not really sure how to put this but I feel like there's no indication that he got stronger besides him fighting stronger people.

I don't think it really matters wehter or not the profiles reflect anime/manga/webcomic, just make clear which version you're using for their stats.

DragonEmperor23 said:
Hmm. I'm not really sure how to put this but I feel like there's no indication that he got stronger besides him fighting stronger people.

fighting people who are stronger then previous opponents generally indicates that someone is stronger

I mean, Mob was having trouble with Koyama, then all of a sudden he oneshots him. I'm saying there's not enough to say that there should be seperate keys.

Like, I guess I'm not particularly against it. If we do make the keys though, we should give him accelerated development because he doesn't train with his powers at all, so saying he got stronger means he got stronger by doing nothing.

Well, he did do plenty of stuff. By growing as a person, he cultivated emotional energy and was able to use more psychic power.

I always interpreted that as Mob not faring as well in the first encounter because he got badly injured right off the bat with Koyama bypassing his barrier and getting to his weak physical defenses.

With the next encounter Mob simply not letting touch him to begin with.

Now if there was a significant gap between these two fights then I would agree with Mob growing stronger but since there wasn't, I'm either inclined to go by the above interpretation or call the fight off as an inconsistency.

Koyama breaking Mob's barrier makes little to no sense considering the same attack does shit-all to Shimazaki when he also has barriers up. It only makes sense if you consider Mob as weaker at that point in the story, otherwise the scaling is an inconsistent mess, as Mob can block attacks from people explicitly more powerful than Shimazaki (Serizawa).

Mob pretty clearly gets more powerful after the seventh division arc. Like I said he can fight and take hits from the Ultimate 5, who laugh at people like Ishiguro, who previously gave Mob significant trouble.

Mob's powers come from his emotions. After the Seventh Division arc he's developed them more and is more comfortable using them. That can be a decent reasoning for the boost in power in later arcs. That and he never had to fight other espers and use his powers much before the Hanazawa Arc, so it's fair to say he also gets more attuned to using them in combat.

He went to fight them immediately after the Koyama incident so it is more likely to be an inconsistency than Mob becoming stronger.

Not to mention Mob has a tendency to absorb energy anyway. One key factor in that fight was that Mob was still merciful and didn't expect his barrier to be broken so it might've been more passive then.

Mob has only absorbed energy in 100% mode.

>Mob was still merciful

He was totally serious in that fight. Far more than he was in his fight with Serizawa. Someone was kidnapping his brother. Not to mention Ishiguro still easily restrains him and damaged him, someone on the level of people who are fodder to fodder to the Ultimate Five.

Waving this off as inconsistency when we have profiles with plenty more keys for different story arcs where there is a jump in power is waving off explanations for consistent displays of power. It causes scaling to contradict itself with what happens in the story. If anything, what you're suggesting generates more inconsistency than just making basic deductions from story events does.

If fighting vastly stronger opponents isn't an indication of getting stronger, I legitametly have no clue what is. Heck, we already have two keys for Teru.

Just fighting someone vastly stronger isn't a display of inconsistency, fighting them immediately after struggling with a weaker opponent without any indication that your power has grown during this incredibly short period of time is. As far as I remember Mob invaded the facility not even a day after he had fought Koyama.

And the "power being influenced by emotions" explanation isn't very satisfactory to me either since his emotional state was also very serious during the initial bout against Koyama.

It's less an issue of him being emotionally serious, and more an issue of Mob's lack of control or lack of desire to use his powers mainly esteems from emotional reasons. Him being more determined doesn't change the fact that he had a lot of issues with using his powers on people, or even just using them without giving it a thought. At least that's how I saw it.

Even if we say he just isn't accoustomed to using his powers on people, that only indicates him not displaying his full power in the original fight as opposed to his actual level of power increasing between Ritsu's capture and the facility invasion.

Back