• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Animal Man discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't he also appear in countdown to final crisis? And obviously in multiversity - which Ig means new version so eh

Actually nvm, that was Soviet one in countdown. EE should work better than bfr in this case then.

Lemme look through final crisis rq

I looked through that, don't see him anywhere. I think they have him confused with someone else.

So ye ee should work

Yeah I agree with revising or deleting and remaking Animal Mans page, its missing alot of abilities and the tiering is just weird.

Here’s some feats for Buddy I found. The yellow aliens who were just illusions created by Buddy Baker due to him not fully understanding his own power, could erase characters from existence by un-drawing them down to the page. In the same scan these yellow aliens also seemed to regard other beings as fictional characters and stories, implying that Buddy has some type of 4th wall awareness.

Here’s some feats for Buddy I found. The yellow aliens who were just illusions created by Buddy Baker due to him not fully understanding his own power, could erase characters from existence by un-drawing them down to the page. In the same scan these yellow aliens also seemed to regard other beings as fictional characters and stories, implying that Buddy has some type of 4th wall awareness.
Buddy has very explicit 4th wall awareness. One of the most famous AM scene is him seeing the reader

Buddy has very explicit 4th wall awareness. One of the most famous AM scene is him seeing the reader
True. Also I forgot to mention this but Buddy should have a third key for becoming the Shaman King in his final state and wearing the body of God to defeat the Spider Queen. And to tier that we need to discuss the cosmology presented throughout Animal Man.

From what I understand the Red is comprised of higher dimensions and the three kingdoms being matter, soul, and imagination which are all connected by the World Tree/Life-web. There’s also worlds beyond the three kingdoms which is where Buddy met the Black Queen. To add on there is also Comic Book Limbo and the implicate order from which the explicate order(3D reality) unfolds from. How these all structurally relate is what’s confusing me a bit.

Last edited:
I feel like at this point all thats really left to be decided is weather a simple CRT for the page is made or if the page is deleted and then remade (Unless people believe we dont have enough support to change it yet).

Yeah but we still need to work out Animal Mans tier and the cosmology presented during Animal Man. So far I’ve figured out that it goes something like this.

The cosmology presented in Animal Man incorporates some ideas from David Bohms theory of the Implicate Order and Shamanistic cosmology. The cosmology consist of basically The Red which is linked together by something called The World Tree. This World Tree links together the three kingdoms. The first kingdom is the domain of quantum physics/spirit. The second is our 3D reality(Animal Man #82). Encompassing our 3D reality is something we can call The Universe. The Universe is vast and interconnected with each part of the Universe containing the whole inside of itself like cup and ring marks. Everything is everything. A recursion essentially.

Existing beyond this is the space beyond all knowing. A place not of time and space, the moment before created existence(Animal Man #50). Taking things to an even higher level than the layers of dream, this is the very template for thought.

At the top and highest level of the shamanistic hierarchy is the third kingdom which consist of something called the imaginal realms(Animal Man #82). Taking things to a higher level this is the hierarchy of worlds of the imagination.

Beyond the three kingdoms are the worlds beyond the third kingdom(Animal Man #87), where Buddy Baker met the Black Queen. Not much is known about these worlds since no one know actually knows of their existence except for the Black Queen. However they do seem to also contain the World Soul.
Surpassing existing as manifestation of the vast absence that lies behind reality is The Clear Light. Going beyond even The World Soul which, The Clear Light is a state of pure mind where the very sense of self/identity is no longer present.

Transcending all of what I’ve mentioned so far is the Implicate Order/Comic Book Limbo. The implicate Order is the higher world(Animal Man #24) out of which reality is unfolded. All our dreams of ideal worlds are just attempts to describe the infinite possibility of this higher primal reality(Animal Man #19). Meaning the whole higher parts of the cosmology from the imaginal realms to the lands beyond, are merely attempts at trying to describe the nature of the Implicate Order’s infinite possibility.

Just to summarize the cosmology.

1) The universe which is vast and interconnected spacetime with each part of the universe containing inside of itself the whole like cup and ring marks, dreams within a dream.
2) The space beyond all knowing which transcends space and time, functioning as a universe hidden behind ours, where thought becomes the template.
3) The third kingdom which sits at the top of the shamanistic hierarchy. Containing possibly an infinite amount of larger worlds within larger worlds, that contain archetypes and by definition exist beyond space and time.
4) Worlds/lands beyond the third kingdom that act as a higher state of understanding and contain/encompass the World Soul which conceptually encompasses the three kingdoms as the “big idea.”
5) The Clear Light which exist as a sea of consciousness and state of pure mind behind the veil, where one’s very sense of self and other ceases to be. Functioning as the manifestation/abstract idea of the vast absence that lies behind reality and the middle ground between the implicate order and the rest of reality.
6) The Implicate Order functioning as a higher primal reality where all our dreams of perfect worlds, such as the worlds in the third kingdom and worlds beyond, as just an attempt to describe the nature of its infinite possibility. Treating everything that is, was, and shall be as both a hallucination and a story that can be written and edited by writers from Limbo.

Now the reason this is important is because to defeat Antagon, Buddy Baker would transcend into the space beyond all knowing and recreate the universe utilizing the power of imagination.

Additionally later on in Animal Man Buddy would wear the body of god(Animal Man #87) tying together the three kingdoms. Then Buddy transcended into the The Clear Light before being pulled out of it, into the whole universe and through it’s upper realms until he reached the worlds beyond the third kingdom. Inside the worlds beyond the third kingdom Buddy would find and take the soul of the world onto himself(Animal Man #89) so he could defeat the spider queen(Animal Man #89). The Spider Queen is simply put an incomprehensible idea who comes from the dark non-place outside of the three kingdoms that was attempting to plague the soul of the world.

Now I’m not exactly sure what tier all of this is so help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The only one I’ve heard who’s knowledgeable on the tiering system is Ultima but I doubt he’ll show up. I tried asking Plank69 but I think he’s busy. Outside of those two I don’t really know who to ask.

Hopefully they’re also knowledgeable on David Bohm’s theory of the Implicate Order since I’m not the most confident in my understanding of how it works but I think I have the gist of it down.

Last edited:
In my opinion I believe we should remove what’s written on Animal Mans wall as it’s wrong
In what way is it wrong?

and the person who wrote it admitted to not even having read Animal Man.

Lol. You don't need to be familiar with source material to recognize an error in a logical conclusion. If someone who has read the source material suggests something, they need to provide evidence. That evidence should demonstrate their point clearly. None of the reasons provided to upgrade Animal Man were coherent in that regard.

Bohm Theory is not just referenced throughout Animal Man, It’s explained to be how the in-universe cosmology literally works multiple times. Additionally we even see The Writer creating the in-universe cosmology from Comic Book Limbo while using a book about Bohm Theory.
None of those scans demonstrate "how the in-universe cosmology works." The guy is waxing philosophical about drops of rain, comparing them to telepathic powers in comic books, coffee cup stains, and the implicate order.

There's no confusion that Bohm and his work has been mentioned in Animal Man, but the extent to which it literally applies to the world at hand isn't explained in any significant detail and it's mentioned alongside various other cosmological concepts which themselves have an unclear application to the cosmology. It's also incompatible with the rest of DC, which is why it's not being used for DC tiering.

The cosmology presented in Animal Man consist of basically The Red which is comprised of something called The World Tree. This World Tree consist of three kingdoms. The first kingdom is the domain of quantum physics/spirit. The second is our reality/the universe.
Where is the Red equated to this World Tree? Also, this scan does not say the World Tree consists of those three worlds, it says it links them. These are very different things. Also, this is the hierarchy the scan gives:

First World: Hell -- the domain of quantum physics

Second World: Three Dimensional world that humans live in

Third World: Heaven

There is nothing connecting quantum physics to the spirit in that scan.

Your scan does not say this. It says "the explicate unfolding from the implicate." Also, what exactly do you mean by "unfolding from" in the context of a universe?

The symbol of David Bohm’s Implicate Order theory. The vision of vast and interconnected universe with each part containing the whole. Where the universe is a mirror reflecting itself.
Nothing about this statement suggests that is how the world works. He's just reminded of the theory when looking at raindrops.

There's nothing connecting the term "Imaginal realms" specifically the third kingdom. The Shaman experience references both the higher and lower kingdom.

The imaginal worlds are archetypal.
There is a lot of ambiguity in this statement. He says Keel would say you're in an Imaginal world of archetypes. An ant mystic might reference the world soul. He doesn't know if either of those interpretations are correct.

There is maybe an infinite amount of imaginal worlds within the third kingdom. Worlds within larger worlds within larger worlds.
The scan does not say this. In fact, it doesnt reference the third kingdom at all. Someone in the 2nd Kingdom opened the door to the place outside space and time (which is described as separate from all three kingdoms) and that allowed him to enter the mind of men. He realized that the world he was a part of was within a larger world, maybe infinite worlds. He doesn't know. It's not a description of the Third Kingdom.

Where is it stated that this is the World Soul?
These worlds beyond the third kingdom must be even greater in size than the World Soul for them to be able to contain it.
This depends on the notion that the world soul encompasses the three kingdoms, but that's never stated in any of these scans.

is the manifestation of the Implicate Order known as The Clear Light. Taking things to even higher level than The World Soul, The Clear Light is a state of pure mind where even one’s very sense of self and identity vanishes.
Where is this described as the "background to reality" and a "manifestation of the implicate order?" It's not in the scan.

This white light separates the Implicate Order and represents a middle ground between it and reality.
How did you determine these two were the same thing? These are completely different parts of the comic. If the only part that connects them is being called a "light" then that's not really proof.

It also doesn't say it "separates the implicate order."

Transcending all of what I’ve mentioned so far is the Implicate Order/Comic Book Limbo.
What evidence is there to equate the Implicate Order to Limbo?

Lol. You don't need to be familiar with source material to recognize an error in a logical conclusion. If someone who has read the source material suggests something, they need to provide evidence. That evidence should demonstrate their point clearly. None of the reasons provided to upgrade Animal Man were coherent in that regard.
I never said one needs to be familiar with the source material to recognize errors in logical conclusions. However I think it’s best to focus on whether these errors you think that you’ve pointed out even exist.

None of those scans demonstrate "how the in-universe cosmology works." The guy is waxing philosophical about drops of rain, comparing them to telepathic powers in comic books, coffee cup stains, and the implicate order.
He then goes along to actually discuss and talk about the Implicate Order and how the universe is vast and interconnected with every part containing the whole. A mirror reflecting itself. Additionally James Highwater would also describe the Implicate Order during his trip with Buddy. And we can take these statements The Writer and James are making into account because they’re both talking about a real thing that actually exist in the cosmology.

There's no confusion that Bohm and his work has been mentioned in Animal Man, but the extent to which it literally applies to the world at hand isn't explained in any significant detail and it's mentioned alongside various other cosmological concepts which themselves have an unclear application to the cosmology. It's also incompatible with the rest of DC, which is why it's not being used for DC tiering
Going back to my paragraph above this one. The implicate Order and the universe are real things that exist in this cosmology has been described/explained as shown in my post highlighting the cosmology. These other concepts mentioned like the three kingdoms are also real things that exist in the cosmology that have been described/explained multiple times. To say we have no information on these cosmic structures when if you’ve read my post you’d see that we literally do is very disingenuous. Additionally most of DC is incompatible with itself. Hence why the cosmology is being split up. And there’s literally no reason as to why this can’t exist as it’s own separate cosmology.

Where is the Red equated to this World Tree? Also, this scan does not say the World Tree consists of those three worlds, it says it links them. These are very different things. Also, this is the hierarchy the scan gives:

First World: Hell -- the domain of quantum physics

Second World: Three Dimensional world that humans live in

Third World: Heaven

There is nothing connecting quantum physics to the spirit in that scan.
I said it’s made up of or comprised of the World Tree. Not that it’s = to the World Tree. And you’re right about it only linking the three kingdoms. That’s my mistake.

Also the first kingdom being equated with spirit is mentioned by the Black Queen.

Your scan does not say this. It says "the explicate unfolding from the implicate." Also, what exactly do you mean by "unfolding from" in the context of a universe
What is meant by unfolding is going back to Bohm’s theory of the Implicate Order. You can read it in my post highlighting the cosmology.

There's nothing connecting the term "Imaginal realms" specifically the third kingdom. The Shaman experience references both the higher and lower kingdom.
Yes there is. The third kingdom is literally the world of imagination. Additionally after imprisoning Maxine in the third kingdom the Spider Queen claimed that she imprisoned Maxine in one of the imaginal worlds.

There is a lot of ambiguity in this statement. He says Keel would say you're in an Imaginal world of archetypes. An ant mystic might reference the world soul. He doesn't know if either of those interpretations are correct.
That isn’t the point. The point is that he still describes the imaginal realms as archetypal. Whether it’s the archetypal imaginal worlds that Buddy describes as bigger than himself or The World Soul, is irrelevant.

The scan does not say this. In fact, it doesnt reference the third kingdom at all. Someone in the 2nd Kingdom opened the door to the place outside space and time (which is described as separate from all three kingdoms) and that allowed him to enter the mind of men. He realized that the world he was a part of was within a larger world, maybe infinite worlds. He doesn't know. It's not a description of the Third Kingdom.
The mind is the third kingdom.

Where is it stated that this is the World Soul?
It’s a major plot point of the story that the Spider Queen wants to become one with the World Soul. And this is literally her origin story that she’s telling to Buddy. So when they’re talking about the little idea(The Spider Queen), trying to become one with big idea, they’re talking about the World Soul.
Where is this described as the "background to reality" and a "manifestation of the implicate order?" It's not in the scan.
I called it a background because that’s how it’s visually presented.

And the white light is called a manifestation of the vast absence that lies behind reality. Which is talking about the Implicate Order as the Implicate Order is what lies on the other side of the white light which functions as a middle ground between it and reality.

How did you determine these two were the same thing? These are completely different parts of the comic. If the only part that connects them is being called a "light" then that's not really proof.
Actually sharing the same exact identity as a cosmology structure is evidence to support them being the same. Especially since it’s all in the context of the same run. Now let’s look at all the evidence to support the white light presented early on in the story being different from the white light presented later on in the story. Oh wait there’s literally nothing suggesting such a thing.

What evidence is there to equate the Implicate Order to Limbo?
Well for one It’s called the higher world out of which they’re unfolded. They’re out there watching us! Go through and take revenge.

Last edited:
I never said one needs to be familiar with the source material to recognize errors in logical conclusions.
Then why are you stating that I have not read the comic in connection to the caveats at the bottom of Animal Man's profile? What bearing does that have on the legitimacy of the information?

He then goes along to actually discuss and talk about the Implicate Order and how the universe is vast and interconnected with every part containing the whole. A mirror reflecting itself. Additionally James Highwater would also describe the Implicate Order during his trip with Buddy. And we can take these statements The Writer and James are making into account because they’re both talking about a real thing that actually exist in the cosmology.
I read the scans. As I said, he does describe the implicate order as one of the things he was reminded of when he saw the raindrops, but there's nothing about those statements that insist it's part of the cosmology. We are given multiple different competing cosmological concepts, all of which are endorsed with varying levels of uncertainty and ambiguity. No one philosophy is directly stated or demonstrated to be true, but rather each one (like Bohm, the Shamans, etc) have a kernel of truth.

There's no reason to interpret the entirety of Bohm's theory as being true for DC any more than there is to interpret all of Shamanistic beliefs as part of DC cosmology.

And there’s literally no reason as to why this can’t exist as it’s own separate cosmology.
We are separating cosmologies by author. The majority of Morrison's work does not agree with your interpretation.

Also the first kingdom being equated with spirit is mentioned by the Black Queen.
Scan?

What is meant by unfolding is going back to Bohm’s theory of the Implicate Order. You can read it in my post highlighting the cosmology.
This isn't an answer. Nothing in your post actually explains the meaning of unfolding. If you talked about unfolding a cloth, that would make perfect sense. But without further explanation from you, the term unfolding here means nothing.

This does not mean "the imaginal realms" refers to the Third Kingdom specifically. The third kingdom is imaginal, but so is the first.
The point is that he still describes the imaginal realms as archetypal.
No he doesn't. He gives one persons specific interpretation of a specific realm, and expressly states that he doesn't know the validity of that statement. Plus "has archetypes" =/= "archetypal." He's also literally just guessing what another person might say about a certain place they are in.

The mind is the third kingdom.
Source?

It’s a major plot point of the story that the Spider Queen wants to become one with the World Soul.
One of your scans says she wants to control the World Soul and the three kingdoms. Do you have a scan that says she wants to become one with the World Soul?

So when they’re talking about the little idea(The Spider Queen),
What says the little idea is the Spider queen?

I called it a background because that’s how it’s visually presented.
Then what exactly does "background to reality" mean? Are you asserting that this definition is supported by the fact that the white light is 'in the background?'

And the white light is called a manifestation of the vast absence that lies behind reality. Which is talking about the Implicate Order as the Implicate Order is what lies on the other side of the white light which functions as a middle ground between it and reality.
This doesn't make sense. If the white light is the absence behind reality, then that would be the middle ground itself, not the implicate order. The light cannot both be the implicate order itself and the barrier between reality and the implicate order. And also it was never suggested that the implicate order is behind the light.

Actually sharing the same exact identity as a cosmology structure is evidence to support them being the same
The generic word "light" is not "the same exact identity." So, no, you don't have any proof to support this interpretation. They could be different lights.

Now let’s look at all the evidence to support the white light presented early on in the story being different from the white light presented later on in the story. Oh wait there’s literally nothing suggesting such a thing.
I don't need to prove a negative. There's nothing suggesting they're the same, they are both lights, certainly, but there's nothing connecting the two in the story aside from that very vague description. If you have proof other than that assumption, I'm happy to hear it, but if not then this is just one possible interpretation.

Well for one It’s called the higher world out of which they’re unfolded.

And how does that suggest it is the implicate order? And what does unfold mean in this context?

I read the scans. As I said, he does describe the implicate order as one of the things he was reminded of when he saw the raindrops, but there's nothing about those statements that insist it's part of the cosmology.
Ok well now you’re just lying. Literally one of the first scans I posted is about Buddy sensing the explicate unfolding from the Implicate Order.

“The explicate is unfolded from the Implicate Order.

There's no reason to interpret the entirety of Bohm's theory as being true for DC any more than there is to interpret all of Shamanistic beliefs as part of DC cosmology.
Agreed. That’s why I only take into account the concepts that are stated to exist in the verse like the Implicate Order.

We are separating cosmologies by author. The majority of Morrison's work does not agree with your interpretation.
How so?

Here. Also I meant to say the white queen states this and not the black queen.

This isn't an answer. Nothing in your post actually explains the meaning of unfolding. If you talked about unfolding a cloth, that would make perfect sense. But without further explanation from you, the term unfolding here means nothing.
Well to unfold means to basically spread out from. When applied to Bohm’s theory of the Implicate Order, unfolding would mean that the explicate spreads out from the implicate Order.

This does not mean "the imaginal realms" refers to the Third Kingdom specifically. The third kingdom is imaginal, but so is the first.
You just ignored what I previously said. “Additionally after taking Maxine into the third kingdom and imprisoning her somewhere there, the Spider Queen claimed that she imprisoned Maxine in one of the imaginal worlds.” As you can see it was already equated. It being called the kingdom of imagination is just the icing on the cake.
No he doesn't. He gives one persons specific interpretation of a specific realm, and expressly states that he doesn't know the validity of that statement. Plus "has archetypes" =/= "archetypal." He's also literally just guessing what another person might say about a certain place they are in.
You clearly didn’t read the full scan. He’s responding to Buddy talking about how he feels like he’s been swallowed up by something that’s bigger than him. He then gives two possible interpretations to what he feels like could describe what Buddy’s talking about. One being the Ant mystic and the other being the Imaginal realms. So when he says “I don’t know if either of these interpretations is correct” he’s talking about how he doesn’t know if either of the interpretations he's given is the correct thing that describes what Buddy’s talking about.

Here.

One of your scans says she wants to control the World Soul and the three kingdoms. Do you have a scan that says she wants to become one with the World Soul?
The Spider Queen would state, "You carry within your womb the World Soul. You bring me a body that I may wear for eternity. The very body of God."

Then what exactly does "background to reality" mean? Are you asserting that this definition is supported by the fact that the white light is 'in the background?'
As in something that exist in the background of reality. It's pretty simple. And I'm basing this description off how it's visually presented.

This doesn't make sense. If the white light is the absence behind reality, then that would be the middle ground itself, not the implicate order. The light cannot both be the implicate order itself and the barrier between reality and the implicate order. And also it was never suggested that the implicate order is behind the light.
That's not what the scan says. The scan says the white light is a manifestation of the absence, not the absence itself. Additionally I don’t really see the point in this part of our discussion because regardless of whether it's a manifestation or not, It still represents a middle ground between reality and the higher world out of which they’re unfolded(The Implicate Order).

The generic word "light" is not "the same exact identity." So, no, you don't have any proof to support this interpretation. They could be different lights.
They could be different but there’s no proof for that. As far the Animal Man run goes they're presented in the exact same way. As a giant white light in the background of reality. There's no reason to interpret them as different.

And how does that suggest it is the implicate order?
It's the Implicate Order because the Psycho Pirate would suggest the beings who've been messing with Buddies life(the writers) are out there in the higher world which they're unfolded. And this world where the writers are located in was shown later in the next issue to be Limbo. Implying that Limbo and the Implicate Order are the same thing.

Last edited:
Ok well now you’re just lying. Literally one of the first scans I posted is about Buddy sensing the explicate unfolding from the Implicate Order.

“The explicate is unfolded from the Implicate Order.
It merely says "the implicate" but regardless, I was not saying there is no instance in which it is stated to be part of the cosmology, I am saying that those statements referenced when he's walking in the rain are not.

Agreed. That’s why I only take into account the concepts that are stated to exist in the verse like the Implicate Order.
We're saying different things. I'm talking specifically about his "implicate order" theory and how much of it applies to DC. We've seen it numerous other times that a concept will be mentioned, but won't align with the actual theory in reality. Such as platonism. There is something that vaguely resembles the idea of platonism, but fails to meet some of the core criteria. Point being, the fact that a theory or concept is mentioned does not mean every thing about that concept is 100% true for DC. Authors pick and choose very often, Morrison especially. He tends to blend a lot of different concepts together.

“Additionally after taking Maxine into the third kingdom and imprisoning her there the Spider Queen claimed that she imprisoned Maxine in one of the imaginal worlds.” As you can see it was already equated. It being called the kingdom of imagination is just the icing on the cake.
I did not ignore that. It's key to my point. It's "one of" the imaginal worlds. I'm not saying it isn't imaginal, I am saying "the imaginal realms" does not refer specifically and exclusively to the Third Kingdom.
You clearly didn’t read the full scan. He’s responding to Buddy talking about how he feels like he’s been swallowed up by something that’s bigger than him. He then gives two possible interpretations to what he feels like could describe what Buddy’s talking about. One being the Ant mystic and the other being the Imaginal realms. So when he says “I don’t know if either of these interpretations is correct” he’s talking about how he doesn’t know if either of the interpretations he's given is the correct thing that describes what Buddy’s talking about.
I did indeed read the full scan. You said essentially the same thing I said. I don't see where you feel our descriptions diverge, but what you're saying does not support the idea that the interpretations should be taken as true.

She wants to inhabit the body, which itself contains the World Soul. That is not the same as "being one with" the World Soul. If she inhabits a pregnant woman's body, that isn't becoming one with the fetus.

As in something that exist in the background of reality. It's pretty simple. And I'm basing this description off how it's visually presented.
You didn't explain what it meant, you just repeated yourself. I am asking in practical/literal terms what "background of reality" means.
It still represents a middle ground between reality and the higher world out of which they’re unfolded(The Implicate Order).
Where is it said that their reality unfolds from the implicate order? So far all that has been said to unfold from anything specific is that the explicate unfolds from the implicate, and that the lower reality unfolds from this light. What exactly the explicate and implicate are is never stated clearly.

They could be different but there’s no proof for that.
There's no proof that they're the same. The idea that they are the same is not a given assumption. I don't need to prove a negative.

It's the Implicate Order because the Psycho Pirate would suggest the beings who've been messing with Buddies life(the writers) are out there in the higher world which they're unfolded. And this world where the writers are located in was shown later in the next issue to be Limbo. Implying that Limbo and the Implicate Order are the same thing.
Where is it said that what the lower reality unfolds from is the implicate order?

It merely says "the implicate" but regardless, I was not saying there is no instance in which it is stated to be part of the cosmology, I am saying that those statements referenced when he's walking in the rain are not
You said you read the scans and that “there's nothing about those statements that insist it's part of the cosmology” despite one of the scans I posted amongst that group identifying the Implicate as a thing within the cosmology.

We're saying different things. I'm talking specifically about his "implicate order" theory and how much of it applies to DC. We've seen it numerous other times that a concept will be mentioned, but won't align with the actual theory in reality. Such as platonism. There is something that vaguely resembles the idea of platonism, but fails to meet some of the core criteria. Point being, the fact that a theory or concept is mentioned does not mean every thing about that concept is 100% true for DC. Authors pick and choose very often, Morrison especially. He tends to blend a lot of different concepts together.
This is a false analogy. You’re comparing DC misusing platonism to Bohm’s theory of the Implicate Order which you have no proof of being misused at all. Additionally the reason the Implicate Order is valid for scaling isn’t because it’s mentioned, it’s valid for scaling because we have actual explanations about its complexity, how it exist in the cosmology related to other structures, etc.

I did not ignore that. It's key to my point. It's "one of" the imaginal worlds. I'm not saying it isn't imaginal, I am saying "the imaginal realms" does not refer specifically and exclusively to the Third Kingdom.
Except it literally does. As Dr Varma would state every time we penetrate the imaginal realms, something from there comes to keep balance. And that somewhere there is a big thermostat keeping things consistent between the three worlds. Implying the imaginal realms are a part of the three worlds/kingdoms. And since Carcosa(one of the imaginal realms) was already stated to exist inside of the third kingdom, it’s safe to conclude that the rest of the imaginal realms exist there as well since they have to be a part of the three kingdoms.

I did indeed read the full scan. You said essentially the same thing I said. I don't see where you feel our descriptions diverge, but what you're saying does not support the idea that the interpretations should be taken as true.
No what we said was not the same. Dr. Varma isn’t talking about not knowing whether the contents of his interpretations are correct, he’s talking about not knowing whether his interpretations is correct in terms of them accurately describing Buddy’s experience. It’s completely different.

There’s a difference between saying I don’t know if the interpretation of these archetypal imaginal worlds are correct in terms of what aligns with your experience.

And saying, I don’t know if the interpretation of the archetypal imaginal worlds as archetypal is correct.
She wants to inhabit the body, which itself contains the World Soul. That is not the same as "being one with" the World Soul. If she inhabits a pregnant woman's body, that isn't becoming one with the fetus.
Well first of all she’s not talking about inhabiting Annie’s body. She’s talking about wearing the body of the child Annie is about to birth who is the World Soul. Second, looking at the scan again, it doesn’t even say “become one” with the World Soul. It just says that the Spider Queen wants to become a part of the World Soul. Regardless, the evidence supports it.

You didn't explain what it meant, you just repeated yourself. I am asking in practical/literal terms what "background of reality" means
I mean what is there to explain? You’re asking me to provide a literal meaning of a simple description I gave of how something looks. It doesn’t impact tiering or scaling in anyway. So I really don’t get what’s your point in arguing over this aspect of our discussion.

Where is it said that their reality unfolds from the implicate order? So far all that has been said to unfold from anything specific is that the explicate unfolds from the implicate, and that the lower reality unfolds from this light. What exactly the explicate and implicate are is never stated clearly.
Its literally in the Implicate Order section of my post highlighting the cosmology. This scan also explains what the Implicate is. Also the explicate is just reality.

There's no proof that they're the same. The idea that they are the same is not a given assumption. I don't need to prove a negative.
Yes there is. They’re literally drawn the same/look the same, are identified similarly, and appear within the context of the same run with there being absolutely 0 evidence to suggest otherwise. Therefore it’s within reason to conclude they’re the same thing.

Where is it said that what the lower reality unfolds from is the implicate order?
Read my post about the cosmology. It’s literally highlighted in the section about the Implicate Order.

Last edited:
You said you read the scans and that “there's nothing about those statements that insist it's part of the cosmology” despite one of the scans I posted amongst that group identifying the Implicate as a thing within the cosmology.
I am specifically referencing the ones where he's walking in the rain, among a couple of others.

This is a false analogy. You’re comparing DC misusing platonism to Bohm’s theory of the Implicate Order which you have no proof of being misused at all.
It's not an analogy. I am giving an example of where the fact that DC mentions a certain philosophy is not proof that the entirety of that philosophy is accurate to DC. Simply put, even if some part of Bohm's theory on the Implicate order is factual to DC, it does not mean all aspects of it are also true in DC unless they're shown to be.

Implying the imaginal realms are a part of the three worlds/kingdoms.
Okay, you clearly didn't read what I said. What I am specifically objecting to is saying "The Imaginal Realms" refers specifically to the Third Kingdom.

Dr. Varma isn’t talking about not knowing whether the contents of his interpretations are correct, he’s talking about not knowing whether his interpretations is correct in terms of them accurately describing Buddy’s experience. It’s completely different.
No, you are mistaken. Dr. Varma is explaining Buddy's experience through the lens of multiple different belief systems, and he does not know if either of them are true.

I mean what is there to explain? You’re asking me to provide a literal meaning of a simple description I gave of how something looks. It doesn’t impact tiering or scaling in anyway.
As long as you recognize that it's not actually supported by evidence nor can be used for evidence for anything, then it doesn't really matter.

Its literally in the Implicate Order section of my post highlighting the cosmology. This scan also explains what the Implicate is. Also the explicate is just reality.
This sort of highlights my point. James talks about 4 different belief systems' interpretations of the exact same concept in that scan. It cannot be assumed that the entirety of any one single belief system is true. If it can be said that the regular world spreads from a higher world (which doesn't really have any tiering implications) then that's one thing. But Shamanistic cosmology, the Aborigine Dream-Time, the Yaqui Indian Nagual, the Hopi belief system, etc, are also mentioned. There's no basis for saying "well this piece of Bohm's theory is true so we can also take Holomovement and infinite dimensionality from his book even though it was never in DC" without also saying "well the higher reality was equated to Aborigine Dream-Time so all information about Aborigine beliefs are also true."

The only aspect of Bohm's theories that have been confirmed in any meaningful way is the idea of a lower reality spreading from a higher reality.

Yes there is. They’re literally drawn the same/look the same, are identified similarly, and appear within the context of the same run with there being absolutely 0 evidence to suggest otherwise.
We are talking about literal empty white space. Calling them "drawn the same" is laughable. They have a similar description, but they are never connected in the story and appear in very different chapters of that run each focusing on separate aspects of the cosmology. The part with the Three Kingdoms and the mish mash of different myths, and the part that focuses on Limbo, are very distinct and there's nothing connecting the two aside from "a light" which is quite a reach.

You could assume they are the same, it's not the most outlandish assumption you could make, but that's not proven. Until there is proof, it's just an assumption that they're the same.

I am specifically referencing the ones where he's walking in the rain, among a couple of others.
Ok but I wasn't using those scans to support whether the Implicate exist or not. So I don't understand why you're misrepresenting my post highlighting the cosmology to make it seem like I was.

It's not an analogy. I am giving an example of where the fact that DC mentions a certain philosophy is not proof that the entirety of that philosophy is accurate to DC. Simply put, even if some part of Bohm's theory on the Implicate order is factual to DC, it does not mean all aspects of it are also true in DC unless they're shown to be.
I agree with this. However I never said the entirety of the theory is accurate to the cosmology. I only took into account how the core ideas that are being incorporated into the cosmology, such as the Implicate Order, unfoldment, every part of the universe containing the whole, etc. So your argument here doesn’t apply.

Okay, you clearly didn't read what I said. What I am specifically objecting to is saying "The Imaginal Realms" refers specifically to the Third Kingdom.
Well it's not that the imaginal worlds refers to the Third Kingdom of imagination, it's that the Third Kingdom of imagination consist of the Imaginal Worlds. As the imaginal worlds has to be a part of the three kingdoms but above the second kingdom. Which only leaves us with the third kingdom.

No, you are mistaken. Dr. Varma is explaining Buddy's experience through the lens of multiple different belief systems, and he does not know if either of them are true.
I'm not mistaken. Your interpretation of what's said in the scan completely ignores the context of what Dr. Varma is replying to. As I said before, there’s a difference between saying I don’t know if the interpretation of these archetypal imaginal worlds are correct in terms of what aligns with your experience. And saying, I don’t know if the interpretation of the archetypal imaginal worlds as archetypal is correct.

There's no basis for saying "well this piece of Bohm's theory is true so we can also take Holomovement and infinite dimensionality from his book even though it was never in DC" without also saying "well the higher reality was equated to Aborigine Dream-Time so all information about Aborigine beliefs are also true."

The only aspect of Bohm's theories that have been confirmed in any meaningful way is the idea of a lower reality spreading from a higher reality.
Once again this argument doesn’t apply. I only took into account the core ideas that are being incorporated into the cosmology and how they’re being treated. I also never said the Holomovement was incorporated into the cosmology. However what does exist is a vast interconnected universe with each part of the universe containing the whole universe inside of itself. Causing even The Writer to wonder who dreams who in the universe.

They have a similar description, but they are never connected in the story and appear in very different chapters of that run each focusing on separate aspects of the cosmology. The part with the Three Kingdoms and the mish mash of different myths, and the part that focuses on Limbo, are very distinct and there's nothing connecting the two aside from "a light" which is quite a reach.
Just because the white light appears in different parts of the story doesn't mean it magically becomes a different structure. Also it's not focusing on separate aspects of the cosmology, because in the same issue the implicate is also talked about. Are you gonna also assume this Implicate Order is different from the Implicate Order mentioned earlier in the run next? As I said before, they're depicted the exact same way and identified almost the exact same way as well, there's no reason for us to conclude they're different structures.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back