• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Acnologia vs Articuno

Articuno's faster (Mach 278 > mach 252) and has a much more varied ability set in general. It could heal off any damage it takes with Roost and if Pokemon's typing counts then Acno (would be flying/dragon) would be utterly destroyed by Articuno's ice-based attacks (super effective against both types) Vote goes for Articuno.

Well, let's look at the options that Articuno has: It can use up to 4 moves, not more and it's moveset is not really impressive. Acnologia also cannot be hurt by non-dragon slaying magic, at least not for significant damage and is significantly larger. Larger means stronger attacks. Meaning that if Acnologia gets close to it it can pretty much stomp Articuno. Articuno has been grabbed by way smaller foes than Acnologia, like Ash' Charizard. 10/10 for Acnologia IMO. Articunois not impressive at all.

Panemorfos said:
Well, let's look at the options that Articuno has: It can use up to 4 moves, not more and it's moveset is not really impressive.
That is a game mechanic which has no effect in actual vs battles or in Pokemon lore. Pokemon don't suddenly forget moves when they gain new ones. It's an in-game balancing mechanic.

Well, no. Pokemon do forget moves when they learn new ones in the anime. Look at Ash' Infernape for example. When it learned Flare Blitz it forgot how to use Flame Wheel. Almost all Pokemon in the anime have been seen using at most 4 moves at a time. The only exception to this was Drakes Dragonite and Ash Snorlax both of whom have been shown using only more than 4 moves at the same time, which obviously was an outlier.

Also, the OP did not specify which Articuno is used in the battle. Is it Noland's, is it a wild one, is it the one we saw in the 2nd movie? All of these Articunos know different moves. Actualy, the movie version of Articuno in the Power of One, only knew how to use Ice Beam.

If we are allowed to make a moveset we like for Articuno to use in this battle i might as well say that it knows how to use only reflect, substitute, protect and sunny day. All of them non damaging moves. See, even if Articuno knows more than 4 moves, it doesn't mean anything these moves cannot actually damage.

Nope this is completely Acnologias win

Mach 252 is the absolute low end and he blitzes and beat all dragons in his prime.

He's got soul extraction,Limited invulnerability and likely many other haxxes as he stole all powers from the 10 thousand dragons.

And he's at least large mountain and needs a country level weapon to take him down.

Acnologia wins

Panemorfos said:
Well, no. Pokemon do forget moves when they learn new ones in the anime. Look at Ash' Infernape for example. When it learned Flare Blitz it forgot how to use Flame Wheel. Almost all Pokemon in the anime have been seen using at most 4 moves at a time. The only exception to this was Drakes Dragonite and Ash Snorlax both of whom have been shown using only more than 4 moves at the same time, which obviously was an outlier.
I do not recall Pokemon really "forgetting" moves so much as sticking only to their superior ones, since PP isn't really a thing in the anime. Do you have the Infernape example, because I remember very little about the D&P anime.

I believe it was 1 episode before Ash's battle with Paul in the Sinnoh League Victors. Other examples include Ash's pikachu. Ash's pikachu used to know volt tackle, but he left it for electro ball. And electro ball is only superior to volt tackle when it is used against extremely slow pokemon, like 1/4 of pikachu's speed. Many pokemons that slow are actually ground type and are immune to electric type attacks.

Panemorfos said:
Acnologia also cannot be hurt by non-dragon slaying magic, at least not for significant damage and is significantly larger.
Kinda sounds like an NLF to me.

Plus I think that's kind of negated when Articuno has ice attacks, which are 4x effective against Acno, assuming he's Dragon/Flying. You kinda have to throw out "Only ___ can kill ___" rules when making crossovers. The two are roughly equal stat wise, so size is irrelevant. Even if Cuno does lose, it's not a 10/10 for Acno.

Dragon force natsu>demon form mard geer but natsu can only give scratch to him which meant you need to be way above mountain lvl to beat acnologia

Like I said, Mountain Level attacks that do 4x the damage due to types are going to do some damage. It may not severely damage him, but it's still not a kind of attack that he can just keep tanking forever.

Well it true but df natsu who is >mard geer can only give minor damage ( http://www.**********.com/fairy-tail/411/12 ).

Imagine if df natsu = mard geer damage mard geer take will be lest than that.

Speed=anco..

look like my email has trouble damm

Ice type attacks won't do super effective damage to Acnologia since he is a dragon and dragons can only be hurt by dragon slaing magic. Gray, an ice mage did nothing to Acnologia with his ice attacks. Many other wizards during the GMG attacked dragons, but nothing happened.

But, let's say that pokemon mechanics work and that Articuno's ice type attacks are super effective to Acnologia. Why should the damage be 4x effective? Is it known for certain that Acnologia is a Dragon type? Charizard looks very much alike a dragon, but he isn't. But, even if it is, what is Acno'd secondary type? It could be dragon-fire. Like mega charizard x. Or dragon-ice like kyurem. Ice type attacks would hit for neutral damage. And, what about Acnologia's ability? Articuno has pressure. What about Acno? Anyway, even if Articuno's attacks are super effective against Acnologia, Acno can just switch to human form to destroy Articuno.

Also, one more thing, Articuno's stats in this wiki are seriously overrated. Mountain level? Where did you find the Mountain level AP? It's not even building level. And 278 mach speed? It would surprise me if Articuno could even fly as fast as a jet. If Articuno was that fast, Noland and Ash, wouldn't even be able to see it while fighting. Unless, both of them have massively, hypersonic reactions. Articuno's speed stat is 85. Pikachu's speed stat is 90. Even fricking pikachu is faster than Articuno. Lugia's speed stat is 110 and is listed as Massively hypersonic, while Rayquaza's speed is 95 and is listed here as sub-relativistic. Go figure...

Both of you guys are using game mechanics. We don't use game stats for characters, especially Pokemon. Articuno is scaled to Moltres, who can change the seasons. I also doubt that the Pokemon mechanics would carry over to this. Articuno will not do 4X damage to Acnonogia because that's not how FT, or a neutral setting work.

Also, Acno only being hurt by dragon slaying magic is NLF.

1) please don't tell me that you took that for Moltres from the pokedex... Pokedex descriptions are so bad that they shouldn't be taken into account.

2) about the NFL: well the creators of the series didn't create their characters and their abilities so that we can create fiction battles with their characters. Each ability makes sense in the universe it comes from. It's not like Mashima created the dragons in FT on the basis that we would make them fight against pokemon. There are times when this kind of battles can work, but not always. This time, imo, this battle cannot work, w/o rules that severly limit one of the 2, or both combatants.

3) Moltres bringing the spring isn't an attack and it shouldn't matter in it's ranking. More so for Articuno that cannot replicate the same feat. Also, nothing shown suggests that Articuno is Mountain level, nor Massively Hypersonic. But, even if it is, it wouldn't make much of a difference since Acnologia is way bigger and better fighter, while Articuno is not. It is not a good fighter, it lost to Ash's Charizard that is not even close to Acnologia and ofc is severely limited in the ways it can fight. It can shoot a few beams out of it's mouth and hit it's opponent with it's wings. Acnologia can use magic and has hands and legs made for punching, kicking and generally killing his opponents. One is a trained fighter that can transform into a cataclysmically powerful dragon, and one is beuatiful bird that lost to a ten year old kid's Charizard. I don't see a way that Articuno can win this.

Legendary Pokemon are most definitely not limited to four moves, non-Legendary Pokemon such as Pikachu have used up to six in one season and the pokedex entry of Legendary Pokemon merely incorporates facts that were stated in their mythologies which has always been depicted as true.

Panemorfos said:
One is a trained fighter that can transform into a cataclysmically powerful dragon, and one is beuatiful bird that lost to a ten year old kid's Charizard. I don't see a way that Articuno can win this.
Powerscaling, unless under special conditions, isn't considered a legitimate measurement of power due to the inconsistencies of the series. I don't see why it's being used as an argument here.

Panemorfos said:
Pikachu's speed stat is 90. Even fricking pikachu is faster than Articuno. Lugia's speed stat is 110 and is listed as Massively hypersonic, while Rayquaza's speed is 95 and is listed here as sub-relativistic. Go figure...
Go figure, us using calcs and actual feats (linked in the profiles no less) instead of baseless game mechanics that only exist to ensure fair gameplay to decide how powerful a character is. Clearly we've got it all wrong.

So far, I'm not impressed by the logias being used.

Sheer Cold only works against pokemon way below the user's level.

TheMightyRegulator, you say powerscaling isn't normally used as a legitimate measurement of power due to the inconistencies of pokemon as a series, yet Articuno's rank is due to powerscaling from Moltres. Now, tell me, what should i make of this? Putting Articuno as mountain level contradicts everything about it shown. Pokedex information is dubious at best.

About what you said concerning the moves. It is not surprising that pokemon can use more than 4 moves during a whole season of more than 30 episodes. But, they are not using 6 different moves during a battle. Pokemon can only use 4 moves, unless they learn one during the battle, in which case the pokemon that levels up replaces one of it's moves with the new one. So, again only 4 moves at it's disposal. And the other part, where you say that "legendary pokemon are most definitely not limited to four moves" is entirely made up. Tell me 1 occasion of a legendary pokemon that has used more than 4 moves in the same battle, without leveling up, in the manga or the anime or the games? And then tell me if that Legendary pokemon was Articuno. Because this battle is about Articuno.

And calling the gameplay mechanics baseless means that the rules used in the anime, the card game, the manga are even more baseless, since everything was based on these gameplay mechanics. The same mechanics that you call baseless are largely followed in the anime. On the other hand, pokedex entries are just most of the time hyperboles and they remain unproven.

Why don't you give us your take in the battle? We might have a better conversation if you do.

"Pokemon can only learn four movesin the entire series" Gary's Umberon and Ash's Pikachu would like to have a word with you

Sora'sOther said:
"Pokemon can only learn four movesin the entire series"
Gary's Umberon and Ash's Pikachu would like to have a word with you
If this is a reply to what i wrote, then please, re-read what i wrote and then tell me where i said that pokemon can olny learn 4 moves in the entire series. Because, it seems like you didn't understand half of the things i said. Also, the battle here is between Acnologia and Articuno. Gary's Umbreon and Ash's Pikachu can wait.

I read it before posting. And frankly, i don't think this battle can work the way it is set. I think the op has to be more specific. Anyway, i have said my opinion on this battle. I won't post in this thread again, as long as no one actually has to somethingto say about this match-up.

Mewtwo and Deoxys; the onus of proving that Articuno is unable to use more than four moves unlike other Legendary and non-Legendary Pokemon is up to you for you insist otherwise based on game mechanics which is fallacious.

A Dragonite used six moves against Ash's Pokemon in the Orange League Championship battle.

An Alakazam in the episode Power Play uses 7 attacks continuously.

Pikachu didn't just use them, and forget but actually retained their knowledge, using them throughout the season whilst in the games this would be impossible without a tutor so yes, it contradicts your argument.

Even a Snorlax can use more than four moves.

You have refused to address my point. Groudon? Kyogre? The Creation Trio? Xerneas and Yveltal especially. They've all proven their entries on their powers aren't simply hyperbole.

The pokedex entry is hyperbolic, of course. We've taken this into consideration, however most Legendary Pokemon abilities have been proven true and wasn't their battle causing the weather of the World to go out of control? Similar to what was stated in the pokedex.

There is literally a list of differences between the anime and game. This is now beyond silly. All I've heard are opinions proven false.

And I said except for special conditions. As in members who are in a trio. Or are connected to each other in a cosmological manner. Not fodder Pokemon who manage to do the impossible to keep the plot moving.

Just going to point out that the reason Sheer Cold is a OHKO is because, according to its description, it's freezing the target with absolute zero temperature, which would presumably ignore durability, to an extent.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
Just going to point out that the reason Sheer Cold is a OHKO is because, according to its description, it's freezing the target with absolute zero temperature, which would presumably ignore durability, to an extent.
Wouldnt that also work the same for Guillotine and Fissure?

I'm sure Guillotine and Fissure are different. Fissure is simply opening a fissure below the opponent, forcing them to fall in, if I remember correctly. Guillotine is probably just a decapitation attempt or something, idk.

FictionalBlade101 said:
Ah k, makes sense i guess. So Sheer Cold is allowed cuz it can ignore durability while the other 2 are definitely just pure game play?
Yes. To a t.

FictionalBlade101 said:
Ah k, makes sense i guess. So Sheer Cold is allowed cuz it can ignore durability while the other 2 are definitely just pure game play?
Actually, Fissure might be some form of BFR.

FictionalBlade101 said:
Wait how?
Assuming a foe can't fly, likely by dropping them down an incredibly deep chasm they can't escape. Or maybe even closing it around them if they can. Idk how exactly fissure is supposed to work in-universe.

Back