• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Metafictional Aspects

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
Considering the whole thing we had with Bugs Bunny and Popeye a while back, what exactly makes the metafictional stuff like deleting save files any different than the toonforce stuff? I'm asking out of curiosity rather than trying to make a change, but I do believe it's important.

It's because Undertale does it a serious tone with sheer power and without toonforce.

And before anyone asks, I'm not trying to upgrade bugs to low 2-C. I just think if stuff like that doesent count stuff like the doki stuff shouldn't qualify either.

You do have a good point. So should we rate Doki Doki and Imscared as unquantifiable instead?

Regardless, we need more staff input for this.

Imscared has 3-A to 2-C statements in the form of White Face being able to create entire universes (I recall translating something for Saikou that said that)

Okay. Only Doki Doki then, I suppose.

I'm pretty sure verses such as Imscared (and Doki Doki too... i guess?) are supposed to take place in a game, with the entirety of the setting being set... in the game, while everything "outside" of it is supposed to be The "True" Real World, meaning they are not an in-universe game played by humans inside "the game" played by us in The Real World

And to be honest, they incorporate most aspects of Game Mechanics into their plot, making them all canon stuff that are fundamental parts of the "Cosmology", while Looney Tunes or Popeye's metafictional moments are one-time gags that... never happen again and aren't meant to be taken seriously at all

What Ultima said. Ignoring "fourth wall feats" for these verses makes no sense. Metafiction is a genre for a reason. Comparing those to one-off gags from cartoons isn't a fair comparison at all.

They are also far from the only verses which use metafictional elements for feats. Pokémon? DC? Undertale? Hell, any verses within the "Metafiction" category.

Basically: There is a gap between ignoring short gags about authors or other fourth wall things and ignoring a large part of a verse's cosmology due to it being "fourth wall feats". As always, case-by-case basis is the best, so is common sense.

@Thundereld

It doesn't matter, they are all gags that aren't meant to be taken seriously, while Metafiction in verses like Imscared and Doki Doki Literature Club! are fundamental parts of their cosmology. You can't really make a comparison between the two

@Ant

Well, since the question has been answered then... i suppose so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back