• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ability Activation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rendynoc0unter

Lilith Asami Supremacy
Joke Battles
Content Moderator
Previously I had asked in this thread, regarding Always Active and Passive Activation, some staff had also answered in that thread. In addition, Ability Activation is not on the VSB Page, so I am interested in making a crt for the Page to be created immediately.

Ability Activation

Different ways of activating abilities or skills:

1. Active.
Abilities or Skills belonging to this group require "special requirements" in order to be activated, each time they are used, such as:
  • Must cast a spell first.
  • Clapping hands.
  • Snapping fingers.
  • Raising the hand.

Some examples of abilities or skills in fiction that fall under this group:
  • Various Magic in Trinity Seven
  • Various Ninjutsu in Naruto
  • Any ability that requires physical movement, such as punching, kicking, slashing, etc., when releasing it.
  • ?

---

2. Thought Based.
Abilities or skills that fall into this group actually do not require certain preparations or movements in order to be activated, aka "only need to be imagined / thought" so that it can be activated every time you want to use it, even just by desire also qualifies as Thought Based Activation..

• ?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?

---

3. Passive.
Abilities or Skills that fall into this group actually have a "Passive" nature, which is able to activate by itself, because it is triggered by a certain thing.

• ?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?

4. Always Active.
Abilities or Skills included in this group can and will continue to be active until someone (Whether it's the user or someone else) is able to deactivate the Ability or Skill (Either in a subtle way or by force).

• Aura in Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?

Also, this is just my understanding, so I need your input.
Thankyou...

Last edited:
So if an ability requires a ritual first,
For example Elaina from the fictional majo no tabi she needs to perform a ritual to return to the past.
which category does it fall into? one ?

Are you saying that there should be an explanation page for these terms?
Yes.
I am also uncertain regarding exactly what is intended here.
I'm a little difficult to convey, please forgive me, my purpose of making this CRT is to make a page about Activation, why do I want it that way?

Simple, because so that someone who visits the VSBattles Wiki Fandom can understand the Terminology easily,

Some of us know that people who don't have accounts only see Terminology in the VSBattles Fandom, and what if he needs information about Activation Abilities, does he have to ask on the VSBattles Forum?, if yes. How can he ask if he doesn't have an account himself.

I used to be that kind of person, I was just a visitor to the VSBattles Wiki Fandom, and I didn't know anything about this Forum, and I used to always look for Terminology information in this Fandom, and then I tried to look for Activation information in Terminology, but that kind of information didn't exist in this VSBattles Fandom.

So, therefore. That's my goal here to create a CRT Activation.

Because, I think information like Activation is important for VSBattles Wiki.

Previously I had asked in this thread, regarding Always Active and Passive Activation, some staff had also answered in that thread. In addition, Ability Activation is not on the VSB Page, so I am interested in making a crt for the Page to be created immediately.

Ability Activation

1. Active.
Abilities or Skills belonging to this group require "special requirements" in order to be activated, each time they are used, such as:
  • Clapping hands.
  • Snapping fingers.
  • Raising the hand.

• Any ability that requires physical movement, such as punching, kicking, slashing, etc., when releasing it.
  • ?

---

2. Thought Based.
Abilities or skills that fall into this group actually do not require certain preparations or movements in order to be activated, aka "only need to be imagined / thought" so that it can be activated every time you want to use it, even just by desire also qualifies as Thought Based Activation..

• ?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?

---

3. Passive.
Abilities or Skills that fall into this group actually have a "Passive" nature, which is able to activate by itself, because it is triggered by a certain thing.

• ?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?

4. Always Active.
Abilities or Skills included in this group can and will continue to be active until someone (Whether it's the user or someone else) is able to deactivate the Ability or Skill (Either in a subtle way or by force).

• ?
  • ?
  • ?

Thankyou...
While this is a good idea, it'll involve a lot of work
As the abilities section has to be modified in order to specify which character's abilities fall into the 4 categories above

Wouldn't this be clarified on the characters abilities with a simple scan or description that shows/explains the ability in use? I don't think a page explaining ability activations is necessary if people just explain it on the profile properly. Though that's just my opinion.

While this is a good idea, it'll involve a lot of work
As the abilities section has to be modified in order to specify which character's abilities fall into the 4 categories above
The only things that should be included in the profile are Always Active & Passive, as those 2 things are the most important in my opinion. Also, the most important thing here is that we only need an activation page,

If someone wants their favorite character to have passive/always active abilities, they just need to create a new crt and list everything that fits those criteria, along with proof that the character does indeed qualify as passive/always active.

While I agree it is necessary to clarify how a certain ability fits the criteria as passive and active.
Including them in the profile will make a character with a massive arsenal of hax walls look even more unnecessary massive.

So a page or addition to hax page explaining how an ability fell into the passive category, and other categories would be sufficient.

While I agree it is necessary to clarify how a certain ability fits the criteria as passive and active.
Including them in the profile will make a character with a massive arsenal of hax walls look even more unnecessary massive.
I mean notable attacks/techniques section is already used for explaining character's abilities in specific, adding how they would activate in a few words shouldn't take a long of time, plus i seen a lot of profiles that have already put "passively" and such in the justification.

But yeah i can see your point and applying it to all existing profile would definitely be a lot of work, so maybe we make it optional and not a mandatory thing?

I mean notable attacks/techniques section is already used for explaining character's abilities in specific, adding how they would activate in a few words shouldn't take a long of time, plus i seen a lot of profiles that have already put "passively" and such in the justification.

But yeah i can see your point and applying it to all existing profile would definitely be a lot of work, so maybe we make it optional and not a mandatory thing?
I'm thinking of characters like Anos, Rimuru, and others hax lord.
Imagine we list all of their passive ability with "passive corruption," "passive death manip," etc...

The wall of hax will be even more massive than necessary.
The supporter is there to explain if an ability is passive or active anyway, and the justification and scan will show it too.
so maybe we make it optional and not a mandatory thing?
I thought this had always been the case.

Well, I should say that it's a good idea on paper to make some kind of explanations between the differences of abilities requiring active things while others are completely passive. Though I'm unsure if we need to make a new page explaining that. It's not like we have a general "Powers and Abilities" page which would overall sound better as that could have a section going over different categories of what powers and abilities are. But otherwise, we do have a general Hax page that could use some sections and what not.

I'm open for suggestions though.

Ability Activation

1. Active.
  • Clapping hands.
  • Snapping fingers.
  • Raising the hand.

• ?

---

2. Thought Based.

• ?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?

---

3. Passive.

• ?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?

4. Always Active.

• ?
  • ?
  • ?

Thankyou...
Wonderful! Did you think all these by yourself? You must be really smart.

Well, I should say that it's a good idea on paper to make some kind of explanations between the differences of abilities requiring active things while others are completely passive. Though I'm unsure if we need to make a new page explaining that.
Yes, we need a new page for ability activation.
Wonderful! Did you think all these by yourself? You must be really smart.
Not really, this is just my understanding, and I also took some references from what I found.

The only things that should be included in the profile are Always Active & Passive, as those 2 things are the most important in my opinion. Also, the most important thing here is that we only need an activation page,

If someone wants their favorite character to have passive/always active abilities, they just need to create a new crt and list everything that fits those criteria, along with proof that the character does indeed qualify as passive/always active.
Thought Based? Isn't that pretty important?

Ability Activation

1. Active.
  • Clapping hands.
  • Snapping fingers.
  • Raising the hand.

• ?

---

2. Thought Based.

• ?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?

---

3. Passive.

• ?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?

4. Always Active.

• ?
  • ?
  • ?

Thankyou...
look fine for me, wonderfull mind, i agree for this

One could explain the terms somewhere I guess. Although I also played with the ideas of making some sort of "passive ability"-ability in the past...

That said, common use of the terms is in my experience different.
I think "passive" usually means always on when we use it. Sometimes "triggered" abilities (i.e. what you call passive) get included in that as well, though.
Also let me add that by SBA it is crucial that a passive (in the always on sense) ability not only can always be turned on, but in fact always is turned on. Or at least 51% of the time. That's because in SBA battles a person is summoned from a random time of their day, so if they don't have their ability on now it won't be automatically activated in battle. So passive isn't only about how an ability can be used, but also about how an ability is used in practice.

I'm not sure if making an entire page for this is necessary, this just sounds like something we can just answer by explaining the ability in the profiles themselves.

One could explain the terms somewhere I guess. Although I also played with the ideas of making some sort of "passive ability"-ability in the past...
Yes, we should create a Page about Ability activation, so that we can explain the terms about activation there.
That said, common use of the terms is in my experience different.
I think "passive" usually means always on when we use it. Sometimes "triggered" abilities (i.e. what you call passive) get included in that as well, though.
Do you mean that when a passive ability is activated, it is active forever?
If so, how about Hax Active / Thought Based which has such a system.

I think what you mean is the activation mechanism,
For example, when a passive ability is released, well, how long is the active duration of the ability.

Example:
You have a passive Aura, after that I am here to provide a trigger to activate your Aura. When your Aura is out, then the Aura will definitely be active continuously. That is what is called the active duration of the ability. (This is just my understanding).
Also let me add that by SBA it is crucial that a passive (in the always on sense) ability not only can always be turned on, but in fact always is turned on. Or at least 51% of the time. That's because in SBA battles a person is summoned from a random time of their day, so if they don't have their ability on now it won't be automatically activated in battle. So passive isn't only about how an ability can be used, but also about how an ability is used in practice.
For Passives in SBA rules I think there is no problem, because the name passive will definitely be active suddenly, for example. Passive feats come from triggers, and the trigger is if we have the desire to kill, then the passive will be active immediately.

State of mind: In character, but will attempt to win the battle. Characters will not give up of their own accord. That means a character that is uninterested or sees no chance of winning won't simply leave and characters wouldn't simply become friends with each other.

This tells us that we will try to win.
I will give an example of Passive Death Manipulation. (This is only my understanding).

Example feat:
In this battle, Rendy will try to win against DontTalk DT, when Rendy wants to attack DontTalk, suddenly Rendy dies immediately.

Did you see it?, There rendy activated the trigger of Death Manipulation, which if we have the desire to kill DontTalk, then Death Manipulation will immediately activate and will kill us. (I apologize for bringing your name in this feat example).

Tbh, from what you said, it makes more sense to discuss Always Active, since I said that "Always Active is a capability that will always be active until the user or someone else can disable it."

Under SBA rules, they are called from random times in daily life.

A character who has the Always Active ability, will that ability activate immediately in a match?
Of course not, because by the time a character has received the Always Active ability, it has already been deactivated. For example, someone seals the ability so that it does not get out of control.

Thus, even if the ability qualifies as Always active, it is still useless in SBA/battle.

Therefore, in my opinion. I also want to add a rule in SBA regarding always active, so that characters who have the ability always active do not become useless.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if making an entire page for this is necessary, this just sounds like something we can just answer by explaining the ability in the profiles themselves.
Yes, for character profiles, I am not so sure that it is necessary. However, what is necessary for us is to create a page to explain the term ability activation.

Some character pages have implemented this.

It makes the page look full and Messy, Especially for characters that have a lot of hax
Tbh, that makes it neat. Because it shows that the ability is indeed passive/always active, but.
Yes, for character profiles, I am not so sure that it is necessary. However, what is necessary for us is to create a page to explain the term ability activation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back