• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Expanding Two Ability Descriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just to give sealing and automatic translation some clarification on what abilities fall under them, since I seem to recall these two applications not having any specific classification.

Sealing

Basically, I think sealing ought to include the ability to keep people out of an area, rather than inside. This is a relatively common ability, with similar functionality to sealing, so I think the following paragraph should be added to the sealing page as an additional type.

"Sealing may also take the form of keeping specific entities away from an area or object through some sort of unseen force, such as establishing a ward around a valuable item so nobody can approach. This may also include consequences for attempting to break the seal, such as harming one who touches it or cursing one who comes too close. This is typically referred to as warding, and in instances where the ability is not given further context, should be treated as a subset of sealing. However, it may also be possible that such an ability is accomplished through Forcefield Creation, Mind Manipulation, Law Manipulation, or some other means."

Automatic Translation

From what I remember, we don't actually have an ability that encompasses the ability to commune with animals. This always seemed odd to me, so I think the following sentence should be appended to the AT page. It's not as in depth as the sealing addition, but it also kinda doesn't need to be.

"The ability to listen to and talk with animals may also fall under automatic translation. Unlike Animal Manipulation, this would only extend so far as being able to communicate with animals or other typically nonverbal beings as though they could talk, rather than controlling them outright. However, it should not be assumed that those who showcase this ability have the capacity to speak any language, or vice versa."

Thanks, wasn't aware something this minor needed to be in staff discussion.
Basically anything that covers a site-wide revision rather than a specific verse is staff discussion, whereas CRTs for specific verses go into CRT (with some exceptions.

For the abilities, I agree with automatic translation but the addition to sealing just seems to me like forcefield creation, I think it would be a bit out of place in the Sealing page.

What would be the line between sealing to keep someone out of an area and just putting up a forcefield?
Forcefields are usually more like physical walls than just an unseen force that keeps things away without a tangible presence.

Granted, I'm basing this off of what I was told in the unofficial ability addition thread, so I don't care that much if it's treated as forcefield creation. Should probably ping @Armorchompy since he's the one who suggested it as a subset of sealing.

Neutral on the first change and DontTalkDT's question, I know it got answered, but unsure if the answer was what DT was looking for.

Second change is fine though.

Well, it hasn't been accepted at least, so I do not know if we should close this thread or not.

Thank you for helping out in any case. 🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back