• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A quick list on Powers and Abilities that should be changed or removed

Well, as several people know, there are several Powers and Abilities pages that have been copied from Superpower Wikia, as well as ones that haven't, but which in exchange do a very bad job at telling us about their limitations and branches. Personally, I feel like taking note of a power's branches is highly important, so although I may not be able to give you all examples of branches to every single P&A I list here, I'll try to tell you what should be edited. Of course, I don't know if there are parameters I'm forgetting here, so please feel free to tell me if there is any inconvenient or another option we could take, as well as a reason why something should be left the way it is.

In order to help with the reading, I'm putting quote marks around every hyperlink that doesn't link towards a problematic page.

First: The pages on Haki and The Force are verse-specific and thus not real "powers or abilities" common throughout verses, and thus should be moved to their ideal verses's pages or removed.

Second: Multiple Personalities aren't a power or ability, I really don't even understand why is there a page for this on the wiki. The most a character like this should have is "Resistance to branches of "Mind Manipulation" because of Multiple Personalities" and no more.

Third: Chi Manipulation is a branch of "Energy Manipulation" which is too tiny. Should we really have pages that can be easily ran down by adding a few additional details on the applications for another power? I mean, we aren't gonna subdivide "Empathic Manipulation" on "Fear Manipulation", are we? I believe this page should be removed and characters with "Chi Manipulation" could stay with their present description, but change the hyperlink's destiny to Energy Manipulation. The same should happen with Hellfire Manipulation being a tiny branch of Fire Manipulation that doesn't deserve quite a lot of respect for it's too specific, however we COULD create something like "Special Elemental Manipulation" or "Primordial Energy Manipulation" to gather all kinds of substances and energies with special effects, for that's an actual trope. The same kind of idea where a power should be linked with its present name but having the actual page as destination should be used for Willpower Manipulation, for example. Also, is it me or could Psychometry's page be supressed and it turned into a branch of Extrasensory Perception?

Fourth: Perception Manipulation and "Illusion Creation" are mostly redundant. I believe the only additional thing from Perception Manipulation is the capacity of buffing and debuffing someone else's senses, and that could be fixed by, for examples, adding that to "Statistics Amplification" (So it could have a branch for those who do not buff only themselves, like several game characters) or changing "Enhanced Senses " to "Sense Enhancing", for example.

Fifth: Pages like Illusion Creation (as more detailedly explained here ), Mind Manipulation, Fire Manipulation, Transmutation and Paper Manipulation are lacking on details on their branches, applications and limitations and really need to be enriched. For example, Illusion Creation and Mind Manipulation both branch into one another (by illuding more than the senses, such as illusions of belief, memory, impulses, desires, subconscious aspects of the mind...) and into "Memory Manipulation" and Empathic Manipulation. Also, I already mentioned how there are flames with special characteristics, right? But we still need to talk about flames that can "burn" things they shouldn't, such as concepts, the distance between two points and several branches such as solidification of flames via compressing them in one point until they attain tangibility, branching into "Plasma Manipulation" via heating and compression, and so many other branches. I also believe the pages on "Electricity Manipulation" and "Magnetism Manipulation" could be fused or at least receive a "parent page" called "Electromagnetism Manipulation". On to Paper Manipulation, we could have the branches of being able to summon paper with an unnatural level of tenacity or giving existing paper such properties, of cutting targets with paper, of absorbing liquids and everything else you may imagine or see on a story and seems like a legitimate use of a supernatural paper-controlling power rather than something singular to that verse.

Sixth: I personally would have severe difficulty knowing which are this and which just have a similar formact, but there are several pages such as Electricity Manipulation which refer to verse-specific elements (such as "Raiton") as entire branches or applications of a power, which makes it seem like they were copied from Superpower Wikia. This also needs to be verified, but I don't know how should these pages be restructured and won't talk a lot on them.

Seventh: I should be able to put entire categories as a topic for such a thing would have made creating the topics for this thread much easier, LOL. Also, I believe many people will say some pages here listed as problematic aren't inherently harmful, but I believe changing them or removing some will make the wiki by far more objective and organized. I thank anyone who managed to read this up to this point, and hope I managed to present with a good list of problematic P&A pages, the problems and orientations on how to solve them. I can help on making descriptions, although I'm personally right now an amateur at wiki-edition, but will anyways keep following this thread to see if there's anything I can do.

Gargoyle One said:
Don't see why verse specific powers need to be removed
For organization. They are unnecessary and... pollute the wiki? I mean, at least, they should be put on their appropriate pages, since they aren't omnivalent Powers and Abilities just like Nestlé isn't the right way to call milk derivates.

The Everlasting said:
Perception Manipulation and Illusion Creation are different things.
How so? Manipulating perception is exactly what most illusionary powers do. It'd just be a small branch/most basic usage of Illusion Creation, while changing other aspects of perception is already included in other powers.

If Chi Manipulation is going to be combined with Energy Manipulation, then shouldn't the notable types be mentioned on the Energy page such as Ki, Chakra, Nen, etc.?

WeeklyBattles said:
I really dont see the need for this either
Now I'm getting sad I wrote all this and it's gonna be discarded, lol ;-;

Damage3245 said:
If Chi Manipulation is going to be combined with Energy Manipulation, then shouldn't the notable types be mentioned on the Energy page such as Ki, Chakra, Nen, etc.?
This could be added within the "users" of Energy Manipulation. Specific verses will often have their own properties on their primordial energies anyways.

"How so? Manipulating perception is exactly what most illusionary powers do. It'd just be a small branch/most basic usage of Illusion Creation, while changing other aspects of perception is already included in other powers."

No, illusion powers create fake things.

Perception Manipulation just changes what the person sees.

The Everlasting said:
"How so? Manipulating perception is exactly what most illusionary powers do. It'd just be a small branch/most basic usage of Illusion Creation, while changing other aspects of perception is already included in other powers."
No, illusion powers create fake things.

Perception Manipulation just changes what the person sees.
"Illusion creation is the ability to create false sensory input (usually images) to confuse enemies."

"
Perception Manipulation is the ability to manipulate ones very perception, allowing them to see, hear or even feel objects that aren't present or may not even exist."

You see, they're pretty synonymous up to this point. Of course, if we consider Real Illusions and illusions that are not bound to the mental powers, we can have the illusionary powers that put them into the scenery, but these would be branches of Illusion Creation, not the boundaries of all it can do.

If this is convincing enough, I'd like not to stray further away from the main topic.

I guess I should be the one addressing this since I'm the one who asked for this list to be made.

I don't think Verse-Specific Powers should be removed just yet, if only because they may require more in-depth explanations than what would reasonably fit on a character profile.

Multiple Personalities should probably be removed in my opinion, since that's a state of mind more than an ability.

Chi Manipulation is staying for sure. For one, I wrote that page. Second, way too many characters use Chi for it to be taken out.

Hellfire Manipulation is probably on the chopping block in my book, since few profiles actually link to it.

There a good number of characters who can manipulate willpower, so I can see it staying, but I should probably clean it up.

Psychometry and Extrasensory Perception are different enough to stay apart, since the former is far more specific than the latter.

Perception Manipulation is probably staying. There's a difference between manipulating one's perceptions and creating an illusion. For instance, Corvus Corax has the ability to pass unnoticed by anyone whenever he pleases, but he doesn't create illusions to do it, he simply makes it so that people don't notice him.

But there are a lot of pages in need of cleanup, and that's more important than determining which ones need to be removed. My main goal is just to clean up our Powers and Abilities page and make them conform to our format for them. Everything else comes afterward.

I don't think Hellfire and regular fire can be one and the same. Considering Hellfire in many verses is able to hurt many things regular fire cannot. It would put Ghost Rider and Zuko in the same boat

I suppose, personally I think that it's a big enough ability on it's own that many characters have, essentially a widely known ability that is separate from Fire Manipulation. Considering it's more supernatural connotation.

Oh, I now see what you mean with differentiations between Illusion Creation and Perception Manipulation, Reppuzan. Although I guess there's still quite some stuff to delete and alter, and... hope I helped. -q

I much prefer Reppuzan's intention to clean up the powers and abilities pages, rather than outright removing them.

I also fine our Haki and The Force pages harmless and useful within the context of their respective verses, so I would much prefer to keep them as well.

Removing any page would also cause us massive amounts of unnecessary work, since we would have to update all of the character profiles that link to it.

Reppuzan said:
@Nico
Specifics should be labeled on the profile then. We don't create special pages for things like "Briah Fire" or "Divine Fire" just because they're different from regular fire.
Then what about Reactive Power Level? I mean, is just another way of Statistics Amplification which was just made for DB characters.

I know that there are other characters from other verses that has this abilitie too, but is not as redundant as Hellfire then?

Isn't statistics amplification just temporary, whereas reactive power level is permanent?

I personally think that both pages are useful to keep.

Well, reactive power level was intended to be an alternative to reactive evolution. I think that it is reasonably useful and does not cause any harm. It seems unnecessary to delete it.

"Which was just made for DB characters"

Not true, Reactive Power level is a specific aspect of reactive evolution and many characters get stronger the longer they fight, this includes, but isn't limited too. Many Masadaverse characters including Reinhard Heydrich and from other verses Tatsumi (Akame ga Kill!).

It's not specifically for DB characters, we need it to explain this type of reactive evolution.

Disagree with removing.

Reactive Power Level and Reactive Evolution are distinctly different.

Reactive Evolution develops new abilities to counter ones they experience.

Reactive Power Level simply raises one's power level in response to the opponent's power level.

Statistics Amplification operates independently of either of the previous two abilities since it doesn't matter what the other person's power level is.

Thank you for providing a proper explanation Reppuzan.

Back