• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A question about Cthulhu Mythos

So I have heard there are multiplicity of gates in the Mythos. Where exactly does the first gate scale to? If it's 1-A, how far into it? In advance, thank you for replies.

Hypnos went beyond the First Gate, it's not a question of transcendence. It's just the Outer Gods being so horrible that it terrified him.

YuriAkuto said:
Hypnos went beyond the First Gate, it's not a question of transcendence.
It's just the Outer Gods being so horrible that it terrified him.
Actually it is transcendence. Both in Ex Oblivione and Through the Gates and Silver Key we see how one is completely annahilated by passing through any single Gate and onto a higher reality and in the case of the latter, Carter was only saved by Yog-Sothoth's intervention. Not only that but the narrator in Hypnos descibed ascending past higher infinities as clawing through metaphysical barriers yet the Gate was too "incalculably dense" to penetrate.

So while Hypnos went through the Gate, it's a massive (borderline High 1-A) feat for him not an anti-feat for the Gates.

I think I didn't explained what I wanted to say correctly.

Going beyond a Gate is indeed transcendence yes.

I was talking about the difference between Hypnos and the Gods/things he saw here, they weren't necessary higher than him in term of power.

YuriAkuto said:
I think I didn't explained what I wanted to say correctly.
Going beyond a Gate is indeed transcendence yes.

I was talking about the difference between Hypnos and the Gods/things he saw here, they weren't necessary higher than him in term of power.
....Huh?

They one-shotted him by looking in his general direction and what's more, those were just the limited and fragmentary emanations of the Gods. They are absolutely above him in power.

Back