• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A major update to Dragon Ball timelines

Status
Not open for further replies.
future trunks, i am saying that the only reason the future/mirai trunks' timeline appears in the timeline of events in that other occasion is because both timelines' events are connected, which wouldn't be the case with gt
Do you mean like branching timelines? And the events are different in both timelines like GT could probably happen if Beerus doesn’t wake up and dream of a ssjg

Do you mean like branching timelines?
kind of, see it like this, trunks is from another timeline, he went to the main timeline bringing goku black with him, then the battle went back to the future timeline, so now the events of one timeline caused events of the other and vice versa, got it now?

And the events are different in both timelines like GT could probably happen if Beerus doesn’t wake up and dream of a ssjg
i mean, i think that gt can still happen even with that

kind of, see it like this, trunks is from another timeline, he went to the main timeline bringing goku black with him, then the battle went back to the future timeline, so now the events of one timeline caused events of the other and vice versa, got it now?

i mean, i think that gt can still happen even with that
Yeah GT is shown to have the events of Og Db Z, etc. The only difference is beerus didnt wake up and they abused the dbs and allat happens so it’s still pretty consistent with there being small changes but those small changes can make castasrophic differences like Goku just getting revived from heart virus helped them achieve god Ki and stuff and Trunks has never met the Beerus of his timeline. So this is pretty consistent with GT being canon but being an alternate timeline and Dbs manga and dbs anime Both being canon but just alternate timelines (You could honestly argue DBS is based off the Z anime due to characters like Gregory not being in the Manga and SSJ2 kid goku vs kid Buu and the bulma filler in namek all shown in the dbs anime)

Yeah GT is shown to have the events of Og Db Z, etc. The only difference is beerus didnt wake up and they abused the dbs and allat happens so it’s still pretty consistent with there being small changes but those small changes can make castasrophic differences like Goku just getting revived from heart virus helped them achieve god Ki and stuff and Trunks has never met the Beerus of his timeline. So this is pretty consistent with GT being canon but being an alternate timeline and Dbs manga and dbs anime Both being canon but just alternate timelines (You could honestly argue DBS is based off the Z anime due to characters like Gregory not being in the Manga and SSJ2 kid goku vs kid Buu and the bulma filler in namek all shown in the dbs anime)
yeah but, it is listed as if it was in the same timeline, but i believe that we are going in circles at this point

Yeah GT is shown to have the events of Og Db Z, etc. The only difference is beerus didnt wake up and they abused the dbs and allat happens so it’s still pretty consistent with there being small changes but those small changes can make castasrophic differences like Goku just getting revived from heart virus helped them achieve god Ki and stuff and Trunks has never met the Beerus of his timeline. So this is pretty consistent with GT being canon but being an alternate timeline and Dbs manga and dbs anime Both being canon but just alternate timelines
They clearly exist in a singular timeline.
(You could honestly argue DBS is based off the Z anime due to characters like Gregory not being in the Manga and SSJ2 kid goku vs kid Buu and the bulma filler in namek all shown in the dbs anime)
No.

the z anime stuff is not really since dbs is stated to be the continuation of the manga, plus gregory was implied to exist in the manga, we just didn't saw him
It is? When

And no Gregory isn’t in the dbs manga either

also are you guys trying to argue super and gt are in a single timeline because I disagree with that

It is? When
can't find it right now, gonna try and find it later today
edit: found it https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2020/11/26/translation-update-special-project-toyotaro-drew-it-image-36/
And no Gregory isn’t in the dbs manga either
yeah i was talking about the anime in that instance, but just so you know, db kai has contradictions to the super anime as well, like gregory still being dead while in kai he is revived

also are you guys trying to argue super and gt are in a single timeline because I disagree with that
yeah

can't find it right now, gonna try and find it later today
edit: found it https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2020/11/26/translation-update-special-project-toyotaro-drew-it-image-36/

yeah i was talking about the anime in that instance, but just so you know, db kai has contradictions to the super anime as well, like gregory still being dead while in kai he is revived

yeah
That doesn’t mean Gregory is canon and it says that gregory was only in the toei anime

how could super and Gt be in the same timeline? Toriyama literally says it’s an alternate history (timeline)

That doesn’t mean Gregory is canon and it says that gregory was only in the toei anime
"He’s Kaiō-sama‘s caretaker who you’ll know from the anime. He doesn’t appear in the comic, but maybe he’s just hiding somewhere!"

how could super and Gt be in the same timeline? Toriyama literally says it’s an alternate history (timeline)
which is retconed by the timeline board presented by shueisha

No.
I’m confused are you 2 arguing gt and super share a timeline?
Yes.
Toriyama literally says it’s an alternate history (timeline)
He never said that. If anybody took the time to click any of the links in OP, they'd instantly find that the quote Toby presented is entirely incorrect; Toriyama described GT as "a grand side-story" / サイド ストーリーである, not a "great 'alternate history'".

For what it's worth, Toriyama says GT is a side story of "原作ドラゴンボール" which is literally the rawest way to say "canon DB" in Japanese.

d6rfw361gja01.png

GTbros....we were actually canon this whole time..

For what it's worth, Toriyama says GT is a side story of "原作ドラゴンボール" which is literally the rawest way to say "canon DB" in Japanese.

d6rfw361gja01.png

that would downgrade gt sadly enough, seriously why are the non cannon stuff always stronger lmao

In all seriousness it does indeed say that but I don't know if it taking it as meaning GT is part of the manga's continuity is really sound, since it has more statements of being the continuation of the Z Anime and references a lot of filler which diverges from the Manga quite a bit.

No.

Yes.

He never said that. If anybody took the time to click any of the links in OP, they'd instantly find that the quote Toby presented is entirely incorrect; Toriyama described GT as "a grand side-story" / サイド ストーリーである, not a "great 'alternate history'".
Dragon Ball GT is a grand side-story of the original Dragon Ball, and it’ll make me happy for us to watch and enjoy it together.

— Akira Toriyama

In the translation is this :3

"He’s Kaiō-sama‘s caretaker who you’ll know from the anime. He doesn’t appear in the comic, but maybe he’s just hiding somewhere!"

which is retconed by the timeline board presented by shueisha
Thats probably a joke

Or it’s just showing events at certain time periods?
No.

Yes.

Dk what dbsh does to prove anything but ok

d6rfw361gja01.png

that would downgrade gt sadly enough, seriously why are the non cannon stuff always stronger lmao
No it’d just upgrade Super
In all seriousness it does indeed say that but I don't know if it taking it as meaning GT is part of the manga's continuity is really sound, since it has more statements of being the continuation of the Z Anime and references a lot of filler which diverges from the Manga quite a bit.
The op is arguing for GT to be one of the countless timelines that exist within canon db

it is a valid explanation

?

it would make toei not canon to gt anymore

all of his scans are straight up not saying that tho

"He’s Kaiō-sama‘s caretaker who you’ll know from the anime. He doesn’t appear in the comic, but maybe he’s just hiding somewhere!" (he doesn’t show up in the manga at all)

How? There’s a lot of proof that toei is canon to GT

Or you’re just misinterpreting that one scan it’s not saying that dbs and gt are in one timeline it’s just give the time periods for events in both dbs and gt and it’s showing the timeline of time periods within the canon timeline I don’t see what’s the confusion as Toriyama’s comment quite literally confirms that

"He’s Kaiō-sama‘s caretaker who you’ll know from the anime. He doesn’t appear in the comic, but maybe he’s just hiding somewhere!" (he doesn’t show up in the manga at all)

How? There’s a lot of proof that toei is canon to GT

Or you’re just misinterpreting that one scan it’s not saying that dbs and gt are in one timeline it’s just give the time periods for events in both dbs and gt and it’s showing the timeline of time periods within the canon timeline I don’t see what’s the confusion as Toriyama’s comment quite literally confirms that
let us talk in discord for now just to not clogg this thread as per luffy's request

Yeah, from the interview in the OP
The TV anime people wanted to continue for just a little bit more, but I [just couldn’t do] any more than that… And so, I left the Dragon Ball anime completely up to the anime staff, story and all. That was Dragon Ball GT.
5dc8e8ff262af8ad6372011447c5d280.png

Then when word was sent to Toriyama-sensei and the Weekly Shonen Jump editorial department that we wanted to make a new series, after some initial meetings the viewpoint emerged that it would be preferable to do a completely original story, separate from the original manga. Certainly that way, with a “Dragon Ball different than the original manga”, Toriyama-sensei could enjoy it too, and there was also the opinion that it would be terribly disrespectful not to make it a separate work from sensei‘s original manga.
mind sharing?
I mean, there's literally an entire episode worth of GT Vegeta reminiscing on his past and we get an entire highlight reel of Z Anime scenes that differ from how said scenes happened in the manga (episode 55), and the ending also has a highlight reel of the Z Anime.

Aside from that, GT Goku references the time he fell into Hell in the Saiyan Saga, which is explicitly an Anime filler original scene.
c3835bcaeaaba45f1bb2171ea1003b1e.png

So I'm not sure how literally the "side story of canon DB" comment from Toriyama can be taken as meaning it's part of the manga timeline, though I suppose what the OP proposes about it being a different timeline makes it work.

Yeah, from the interview in the OP

5dc8e8ff262af8ad6372011447c5d280.png

I mean, there's literally an entire episode worth of GT Vegeta reminiscing on his past and we get an entire highlight reel of Z Anime scenes that differ from how said scenes happened in the manga (episode 55), and the ending also has a highlight reel of the Z Anime.

Aside from that, GT Goku references the time he fell into Hell in the Saiyan Saga, which is explicitly an Anime filler original scene.
c3835bcaeaaba45f1bb2171ea1003b1e.png

So I'm not sure how literally the "side story of canon DB" comment from Toriyama can be taken as meaning it's part of the manga timeline, though I suppose what the OP proposes about it being a different timeline makes it work.
A timeline like trunks works best, but I completely agree with you.

The anime is mainline canon, too, and according to the History Exhibit, GT follows after the Super anime.
It’s just showing the chronological events in different timelines like how guides have shown age 779 being when trunks goes to the timeline (that we know of) and age 779 as Rof they’re chronologically the same but happen in 2 different timelines same logic here

It’s just showing the chronological events in different timelines like how guides have shown age 779 being when trunks goes to the timeline (that we know of) and age 779 as Rof they’re chronologically the same but happen in 2 different timelines same logic here
trunks' timeline is directly connected to the main timeline, that would not be the case with gt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back