• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

8-B+/Low 8-A Tournament Round 1, Match 5: Helmed Horror vs Spider-Man

Why do I have to keep explaining this...

Soul and Death Manip is via its touch of death which inflicts necrosis. At worst it can dismember someone and not one-shot

Resistance Negation simply removes Random Resistances, none of which are useful with this particular opponent

I don't see Reality Warping

Range is via crows and its gaze

CAN EVERYONE PLEASE STOP CLAIMING THAT IT'S OP JUST BY READING THE P&A

aaf.png

what are Vitreous wincons? because Spidy could just use his webs to restrain him, unless he has something to prevent it

what are Vitreous wincons? because Spidy could just use his webs to restrain him, unless he has something to prevent it
He can summon ravens. They're incorporeal and can perform the spells that the drinker can besides the fear stare and disfigurement tongue. Even if not, the ravens can also be used to free him once webbed

Combined with its fear stare and Spidey may have troubles accurately performing web shots via nervousness and weakening caused by said stare
the ravens have it
Oh right, the ravens can do spells. If I recall, they prefer their summoner's spells so they don't really Reality Warp in-character

Er

I regret to inform you that the Vitreous Drinker's Finger of Death is indeed a ranged attack

In the VD's case its range would be almost exactly 20 meters (18.5ish), which can be quickly covered by walking or Dimension Door

sorry

Er

I regret to inform you that the Vitreous Drinker's Finger of Death is indeed a ranged attack

In the VD's case its range would be almost exactly 20 meters (18.5ish), which can be quickly covered by walking or Dimension Door

sorry
Wait, does it at least require a gesture? And is it AoE?

I'll be honest chief, I don't know where you got the "Crows cast spells for him" thing.

xdxM24L.png
Can direct them as a free action. I assumed it meant that the crows can do actions the drinker can

Oh thank goodness, that makes this much more balanced. Okay, I'll come up with how the battle might go tomorrow. I need to sleep

I mean

Instant death is instant death, there's not really much one can do about that

This is also Vitreous Drinker, who only needs to stare to incapacitate. And then move a finger to kill. And can cross X or Y distance with Dimension Door.

I really don't see a likely wincon for homeboy.

Yeeeeeah, I kinda agree Drinker is too unfair for a majority of the contestants here if they have no answer to his death gesture or staring to incapacitate

Aye. I don't think it's necessarily a stomp, but Vitreous probably shouldn't be used in any tournament hoping for fair fights. There are less broken 8-Bs/8-As to use, if you desperately need a replacement.

Aye. I don't think it's necessarily a stomp, but Vitreous probably shouldn't be used in any tournament hoping for fair fights. There are less broken 8-Bs/8-As to use, if you desperately need a replacement.
I'll go with Helmed Horror if there is absolutely no chance but I'll try to explain how this can work

Spider-Man's greatest tool here is Spider Sense which never goes away and always reminds and directs him towards threats. Assuming the drinker starts with disfigurement tongue attack, Spidey will immediately try to restrain him. Since he's afraid, he'll more likely go for an AoE web attack out of panic

Even if he goes for a dimensional door, Spider Sense will likely detect it and Class M webs mean that the drinker won't get out so easily. Then it's all up whether or not Spidey can beat the everliving shit out his opponent while being weakened by fear and with limited time, all while his opponent has an AP advantage and will probably try to summon a crow to help himself

Drinker Mid-Diff

Yeeeeeah, I kinda agree Drinker is too unfair for a majority of the contestants here if they have no answer to his death gesture or staring to incapacitate
Trash Machine, Metal Gear Ray, GIGA Queen are all robots. Zoro will start with slashing off the drinker's hands and tongue at once if given prior knowledge and Sasuke is a Naruto character. It's fine

Last edited:
I'll go with Helmed Horror if there is absolutely no chance but I'll try to explain how this can work

Spider-Man's greatest tool here is Spider Sense which never goes away and always reminds and directs him towards threats. Assuming the drinker starts with disfigurement tongue attack, Spidey will immediately try to restrain him. Since he's afraid, he'll more likely go for an AoE web attack out of panic

Even if he goes for a dimensional door, Spider Sense will likely detect it and Class M webs mean that the drinker won't get out so easily. Then it's all up whether or not Spidey can beat the everliving shit out his opponent while being weakened by fear and with limited time, all while his opponent has an AP advantage and will probably try to summon a crow to help himself

Drinker Mid-Diff
Does spider-sense work on non-contact threats, though? Like, specifically a death-magic-imbued finger twitch? Further, with the Drinker's better speed, does it even matter? A single finger movement is surely faster than Spiderman aiming and pinning the Drinker. Even if the Drinker becomes restrained, I suspect by that time Spidey would be dead.

If you really insist I guess it's fair but yeah I don't see Spider-Man being even remotely close to winning given the hax difference.

Wait, does it at least require a gesture? And is it AoE?
This is Finger of Death's spell description

Finger of Death​

Necromancy [Death]​

Level:Drd 8, Sor/Wiz 7
Components:V, S
Casting Time:1 standard action
Range:Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target:One living creature
Duration:Instantaneous
Saving Throw:Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance:Yes

Its just pointing a finger at someone. Though at 20 meters that is outside of the spell's range initially unless VD's version has better range. But Bambu sorta covered how that's not a huge issue.

Its easier to point a finger than shoot webs.
I did say this happens under the assumption that Drinker starts with his tongue attack and doesn't immediately go for death finger. By then, he'd be wrapped up in a ton of webs.

And in-character, it probably does start with tongue attack

This is Finger of Death's spell description

Finger of Death​

Necromancy [Death]​

Level:Drd 8, Sor/Wiz 7
Components:V, S
Casting Time:1 standard action
Range:Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target:One living creature
Duration:Instantaneous
Saving Throw:Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance:Yes

Its just pointing a finger at someone. Though at 20 meters that is outside of the spell's range initially unless VD's version has better range. But Bambu sorta covered how that's not a huge issue.
VD is considered a 14th level caster for the purposes of its spell-like abilities, so the effective range of its FoD is 18 meters and some change. It needs to make a few steps forward and point. So yeah I don't really see any reasonable means of Spidey winning, at all. I'm willing to go with the idea that Spiderman could do... something, however unlikely the scenario is. So I guess I vote VD. I'll leave it to the tournament people to decide whether to continue using them or not, just bear in mind VD has no objective reason to not instant kill his enemies.

I should note that the book VD comes from legitimately has a combat strategies section, in which it states that if forced to fight directly, VD's early move is Finger of Death to deal with an encounter quickly. So that's the go-to move.

I should note that the book VD comes from legitimately has a combat strategies section, in which it states that if forced to fight directly, VD's early move is Finger of Death to deal with an encounter quickly. So that's the go-to move.
Wait so you're telling me that the titular move in the summaries of this creature I read is not its starting move? I have made a grave mistake. Okay yeah, this is a stomp

Alright then, is Helmed Horror fine?

Wait so you're telling me that the titular move in the summaries of this creature I read is not its starting move?
A decent swath of D&D monsters with some degree of intelligence mostly like hiding in a hole in the ground and setting up traps. If forced to fight they tend to blow their powerful spells early to rapidly end the fight.

Alright it's changed.

Anyway if anyone is wondering, Helmed Horror has one useful advantage which is instantaneous teleportation via blink. It would certainly make it harder for Spider-Man to restrain it. To add that, it has various elemental spells, some with AoE effects to keep its opponent guessing and lastly, it has infinite stamina on the count of it being an inanimate object

Back