• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Touhou threads have been kinda stagnant for a while. Nothing like some good ol’ fashioned controversy to make them interesting again.

Tenshi

As is currently accepted, Tenshi’s dream self was capable of shaking and potentially destroying the Heavens. Heaven is both infinite in size (which was briefly rejected but re-accepted after new supporting evidence) and an Otherworld. Otherworlds are, well, other worlds that possess their own laws of physics and are brane worlds, making them low 2-C by default (since they aren't compactified). However, Heaven is a bit unique in that there isn’t just one Heaven. It’s split into many separate Otherworlds. Note how the text in the first scan says Tenshi was shaking the Heavens, as in more than one, which means this feat that was affecting the entirety of a low 2-C structure was in fact affecting many of them; A clear cut case for 2-C.

Doremy

Next is Doremy’s dream stuff. Dreams are repeatedly stated to be equivalent to reality, with whatever is represented within a dream being perfectly equivalent to its real-world counterpart. An example of this is how Reisen’s dream self was confirmed to be equal to the real Reisen in all regards. Thus, whenever we see a location in a dream, we know that that location possesses the same qualities it does in the ‘main’ cosmology. This includes locations such as Hell, the Netherworld, Gensokyo, and the outside world. Hell, the Netherworld, and Gensokyo are all brane worlds due to being otherworlds (with Hell and the Netherworld each being infinite in size), which means they should be low 2-C by default. Furthermore, we know each dream contains replications of ALL of these locations, including ones we haven’t seen represented within them, since it is said that one can go anywhere in the cosmology within a dream, meaning each dream is representative of the Touhou multiverse as a whole (for the most part, at least). We see this concept proven in Violet Detector, where Sumireko experiences dreams of numerous unique locations across the cosmology, many of which she has never even canonically visited before (as shown in the scans above). Yes, I’m aware this interpretation would lead to much higher tiering than 2-C, but this is not the thread for discussing that. We know that individual dreams are 2-C at minimum, and that’s what matters for the time being.

As for scaling, this is somewhat simple. Doremy is repeatedly stated to be able to create or destroy dreams (it's literally her entire gimmick), with said control extending to every single person’s dreams. From there, we have WoG stating that she is very weak by youkai standards, so most if not all high tiers should upscale from her.

However, what’s important to note is that, even if an individual dream is only seen as low 2-C and not 2-C, Doremy would still scale to 2-C. This is because of dream souls. A dream soul is a representation of, well, a dream, taking the form of a small pink blob. Doremy is stated to be able to absorb these dream souls, and subsequently use them as attacks. Because each dream is low 2-C at minimum, and she is creating multiple of them simultaneously, this is blatantly 2-C, or quite a bit higher into 2-C if 2-C dreams are accepted.

Gensokyo Space-Time Merging

Two feats to look at here, both focused on the same basic concept. The important thing to note here is the Great Hakurei Barrier, which designated Gensokyo as a space completely separate from the outside world, additionally granting it its own flow of time. Due to the aforementioned context of being a brane world, Gensokyo should be low 2-C much like the outside world. As Kasen states in WaHH, the destruction of this barrier will cause Gensokyo and the outside world to essentially reunite, merging into a single space-time. So Gensokyo and the outside world are two separate space-times, and destroying the barrier between them will cause them to merge into one, with space-time merging being a very common example of 2-C feats.

Now for the actual feats. First is the Occult Balls, which are stated to be able to destroy the barrier between Gensokyo and the outside world. And then we have Yukari, who is stated to be able to do the same.

Which leaves us with 4 2-C feats:

-Tenshi (Her dream self was shaking the Heavens, which are composed of many separate Otherworlds, and threatening to destroy them in their entirety)

-Doremy (Stated to be able to create, destroy, or eat dreams, with individual dreams containing multiple infinitely-sized locations with their own flow of time such as Hell and the Netherworld. She can also create and weaponize dozens of these dreams at a time with her casual attacks)

-Occult Balls (At their full power, they were going to cause the barrier between Gensokyo and the outside world, both separate space-times, to be destroyed, thus merging them together)

-Yukari (Can destroy the barrier separating Gensokyo from the outside world, which denotes the two as separate space-times, and the destruction of which would cause the two to merge together)

That just leaves the question of how this will affect high tier scaling. With Tensh’s high 3-A feat now 2-C, we only really have one clear high 3-A feat: Youmu’s infinite moon slash. All other feats are either low 2-C already, or have the distinct possibility of being low 2-C (Miko’s corridor absorption and Eirin’s Klein bottle). With that in mind, I personally believe that, due to both low 2-C and 2-C being more consistent than high 3-A, all high tiers should now have “Low 2-C, possibly 2-C” listed instead of their current AP. I am, of course, open to other suggestions.

Yeah, this is likely going to be controversial. given even low 2-C is on thin ice. I just hope certain people don't show up before we get the chance to have actual reasonable discussions.

Hm, true. I'm not against a flat 2-C, but what would we do with the low 2-C feats? Just keep them listed as supporting evidence (especially those that were super casual, like Miko's corridor absorption)? We gotta take consistency into account here, is all I'm saying. Would a 'likely' work better?

Hm, true. I'm not against a flat 2-C, but what would we do with the low 2-C feats? Just keep them listed as supporting evidence (especially those that were super casual, like Miko's corridor absorption)? We gotta take consistency into account here, is all I'm saying. Would a 'likely' work better?
Definitely keep the supporting evidence, and I wouldn't be opposed to a likely for characters who lack 2C feats but have 2C scaling.

I just think people who are obviously above Doremy (or a large portion of the verse) in power, should have a clear-cut 2C.

As always though, compromise is key and I'm willing to do so.

Definitely keep the supporting evidence, and I wouldn't be opposed to a likely for characters who lack 2C feats but have 2C scaling.

I just think people who are obviously above Doremy (or a large portion of the verse) in power, should have a clear-cut 2C.

As always though, compromise is key and I'm willing to do so.
so you mean a significant amount of the cast

Considering we have four feats to work with, I think a solid 2-C rating is fine, but I'm not opposed to the tiers being "Low 2-C, possibly 2-C."
Hmm, yeah if everything gets accepted I think I can go with a flat 2-C. We'll have to see how many feats we end up with though, because we could only get 2 or 3 and I'm less comfortable with a flat rating in that case. It's also important to note that 3 of the 4 feats come from characters who are Celestial tier or higher, so maybe every high tier weaker than Tenshi could get a likely rating while everyone equal or superior to her would get a flat 2-C.

Wasn’t 2-C removed before?
IIRC That was because it was based on Kaguya's supposed multiple timelines feat, which I will admit wasn't a good argument to begin with. The only thing here previously discussed was dream scaling, but from what I recall that was agreed to be saved for a future thread so it was never decisively rejected or accepted. We kinda went through the same thing with infinite speed, actually.

EDIT: Actually, I'm pretty sure the only prior argument for 2-C dreams was for individual dreams being that tier, I don't recall Doremy being able to create/destroy several of them simultaneously being discussed at all.

I heard that we previously have a 2-C Touhou CRT proposal and accepted, but it gets downgraded. Do you have something new from said threads?

Yes, that was in reference to Kaguya supposedly being able to create multiple timelines with her ability, which was incorrect. There was also an extended discussion about the validity of 2-C Doremy. However, since the thread in question reached like 11 or so pages, it was agreed to save 2-C and infinite speed scaling for a future time, with infinite speed getting accepted not long after and this thread being the result of the 'save the 2-C scaling for later' agreement.

To be clear, the feats for Tenshi, Yukari, and the occult balls have not yet been discussed to my knowledge, so this thread is not simply reviving old arguments. It is mostly new feats.

Good to know, though I think it'd be good to have regardless of if anyone has any objections so we can add the extra scans to the profiles. Never hurts to be thorough.

Seeing the argument, yeah. I agree.
I also agree with the idea of characters at Doremy's level or beyond should just get flat out 2C. And the rest can keep Low 2-C or have a possibly rating depending on how they compare to Doremy. Pretty much just treat Doremy as a baseline. Unless there's a better character to use as a baseline.

Seeing the argument, yeah. I agree.
I also agree with the idea of characters at Doremy's level or beyond should just get flat out 2C. And the rest can keep Low 2-C or have a possibly rating depending on how they compare to Doremy. Pretty much just treat Doremy as a baseline. Unless there's a better character to use as a baseline.
Well, the issue is that Doremy is basically where the scaling chain starts. This would put about everyone on flat 2-C. Because the remaining feats are from celestial tier or higher into the scaling chain, I think Doremy and other high tiers who rank below Tenshi should get the possibly rating, while everyone at Tenshi's level or above (basically anyone who upscales from hermits) would get flat 2-C IMO.

Well, the issue is that Doremy is basically where the scaling chain starts. This would put about everyone on flat 2-C. Because the remaining feats are from celestial tier or higher into the scaling chain, I think Doremy and other high tiers who rank below Tenshi should get the possibly rating, while everyone at Tenshi's level or above (basically anyone who upscales from hermits) would get flat 2-C IMO.
Hmm. I guess everyone should just get a flat 2-C rating, then.

Yeah, I think that works best if everything gets accepted here. I'm of the opinion that we should wait and see which feats get accepted before going too in depth with scaling, however.

Yeah, this is likely going to be controversial. given even low 2-C is on thin ice. I just hope certain people don't show up before we get the chance to have actual reasonable discussions.

You mean me (Insert emoticon).
Oh wow I just logged in and saw this, a very based CRT. I'll just put my two cents in here.

Doremy part is good, but the Tenshi part is something I don't really like. Doremy should be 2B or sumthing tbh. But let's not...do it, since it's derailing. Oh yeah don't ask me for why I don't like the Tenshi part since I'm busy and probably won't answer you back anyway.

See you in the next 2 weeks or something, I shall slumber once again.

barges into upgrade thread
"me no like this thing"
refuses to elaborate further
leaves
8dd.png

I disagree for reasons I'm pretty sure I've already made loud and clear in previous "multiversal 2hu" threads.

But, in short:

Tenshi's "dream self"? Not real. Has no real power. Her poetry about "destroying the heavens" and whatnot? Just that, and nothing more. Has nothing to do with real power.

"Brane worlds" aren't Low 2-C by default (where'd you even get that). Maribel Hearn and co's hypothetical rambling about such doesn't prove much of anything regardless, certainly not any of the otherworlds being "brane worlds".

Dreams? Not real. Just because dreams are considered the "flip side" to reality in a certain context doesn't mean that dreams necessarily have a 1:1 correspondence with physical reality. Reisen's dream double being an exact replica of Reisen herself doesn't necessarily mean that any representation of something in a dream is a perfect replica of what that thing is in reality. To argue otherwise is to fallaciously make hasty generalizations.

Being able to use the dreamworld as a portal to different realms in physical reality doesn't mean the 2hu dream world is a complete replica of the entire multiverse. That's just a leap in logic.

Dreams, being not real, are not quantifiable, and have no meaningful "size", "weight", "mass", or "energy", so Doremy sweet being able to mess with individual dreams or "dream souls" doesn't mean anything in terms of her raw power.

Gensokyo is basically a small island floating in the middle of nowhere. The fact that it's technically it's own dimension (or "separate spacetime", if you prefer) does not make it a "brane world", and certainly does not make it "low 2-C" in size. We know it's size, we know how it's described, and no part of that even vaguely suggests that Gensokyo has infinite size, contains an infinite universe within it, or is anything other than a pocket reality.

I call upon @Pain_to12 to deal with the rest of this thread. And maybe @Hecatia_Gaming too, if they're available.

Tenshi's "dream self"? Not real. Has no real power.
This has been proven wrong a great amount of times in the franchise. We've been shown time and time again that the dream version of characters can exit the dream world and interact with and even harm the rest of the cast. We have the entire plot of AoCF and any piece of media involving dream world Sumireko as very notable examples.
Her poetry about "destroying the heavens" and whatnot? Just that, and nothing more. Has nothing to do with real power.
What "poetry?" The same poetry that's already accepted on her profile? Why would the avatar of a deity that literally helped with creating Heaven lie (assuming that's what you're talking about, correct me if I'm wrong) about Tenshi's strength?
"Brane worlds" aren't Low 2-C by default (where'd you even get that). Maribel Hearn and co's hypothetical rambling about such doesn't prove much of anything regardless, certainly not any of the otherworlds being "brane worlds".
Can't really argue against this, as I'm not that knowledgeable on brane worlds and other complicated nerd stuff, soooo /shrug.
Dreams? Not real. Just because dreams are considered the "flip side" to reality in a certain context doesn't mean that dreams necessarily have a 1:1 correspondence with physical reality. Reisen's dream double being an exact replica of Reisen herself doesn't necessarily mean that any representation of something in a dream is a perfect replica of what that thing is in reality. To argue otherwise is to fallaciously make hasty generalizations.

Being able to use the dreamworld as a portal to different realms in physical reality doesn't mean the 2hu dream world is a complete replica of the entire multiverse. That's just a leap in logic.

Dreams, being not real, are not quantifiable, and have no meaningful "size", "weight", "mass", or "energy", so Doremy sweet being able to mess with individual dreams or "dream souls" doesn't mean anything in terms of her raw power.
I'm just clumping all of this together because it's the same argument. You have to prove that "Dreams real," especially in a franchise that has already well-established that dreams are in fact very real and can have a tangible effect on reality. Until you can prove that, I see no point in arguing this with you, since you're using real world logic of "Oh! Dreams are just made-up things that only exist in my mind! They don't exist whatsoever." in a verse where notable events of characters going to the dream world or dream versions of characters doing things that actually affect the rest of the world are a thing.

Can't argue against the Gensokyo stuff either, as I've already said I'm not knowledgeable on brane worlds.

You can't be serious. You really can't be serious.

I don't even know where to begin with this, and Shmooply summed it up well, but in case anyone not knowledgable on Touhou comes in, they deserve slightly more info.

So for starters..

Tenshi's "dream self"? Not real. Has no real power. Her poetry about "destroying the heavens" and whatnot? Just that, and nothing more. Has nothing to do with real power.
Most of your arguments against dream scaling fall apart when you consider that Dream Tenshi was outside of the Dream World when she performed said feat.

She affected The Heavens and shook them in their entirety. She affected the actual Otherworld, meaning dream selves and things from the Dream World do have their own real power and that said power can indeed affect and interact with things outside of the Dream World and vice-versa.

Like, Joon's whole scenario is about her fighting the dream denizens in Gensokyo so that they can be sent home, and they're perceived as threats in many of those encounters. If they can threaten Gensokyo enough that they need to be removed, then obviously Dreams can affect reality in Touhou.

Hell, Sumireko fights her own Dream Self in Violet Detector and had trouble beating her because Dream Sumireko had buffs she didn't. Once those buffs were removed, she was able to come out on top, proving that both real and Dream Sumireko are normally extremely comparable to one another if not exactly as powerful as one another.

In other words, dreams selves and the worlds within dreams all mirror reality far more closely than you seem to realize, in Touhou.

Though, I'm sure others can explain and debunk your arguments much better than myself.

Yeah I'm not gonna cover what Shmoopy's already touched on, I'd basically just be rephrasing the same arguments. Dreams being the same as reality, both for locations and people, is extremely consistent. As for brane worlds, their 'bulk' is inherently infinite, meaning so long as they are not compactified (which the brane worlds we see within Touhou most certainly aren't), they are low 2-C regardless of their 3D spatial extent . This is accepted on the wiki and was explained by Ultima here. We also know that brane worlds within Touhou do follow the rules and conventions of 'real' branes, given that they follow the weakness of gravity theory explained by branes.

Also, it's a brane world not just because it's a separate space-time (though that is a part of it), but because it is directly stated to be a brane world. And we can take Maribel and Renko's words as the truth here, as such statements were made in Dr. Latency's Freak Report, which affirms that the information provided by Maribel and Renko was a 'true story', so we have the narrative confirming that their observations about Gensokyo's structure are accurate. None of it is hypothetical in the slightest. Oh, and the narrative itself refers to these worlds as brane worlds, so there's that.

TL;DR: Dreams equal reality, non-compactified brane worlds are automatically low 2-C at minimum, Gensokyo and Otherworlds are brane worlds.

Oh boy this is a tough one
Well don’t have time to read through for now and give proper output
So I will follow till I can

It’s a Touhou thread, it will probably take months anyway

Just to clarify, I won't discuss the brane world stuff cause I only have the smallest of understandings regarding it. Nothing to the point I can confidently debate regarding it.

Where does this come from? I don't recall anywhere within canon stating this. In fact dream versions do have power. They can constantly compete and even give trouble to the main cast who, obviously, possess tremendous power. A character directly states immense power is being shown. I don't understand this argument. If not real power, what exactly was the comment for? Fear? Imaginary strength? Hype? Such comment has no reason to be made unless talking directly about the individual and what they're showcasing. Even if it was just an overreaction. It's still clear evidence of immense power being shown. And I can't really boil it down to an overreaction anyway.

This also demands proof. There's nothing to suggest, at all, what you're claiming. Reisen double is virtually the same as Reisen, every dream version is. I do agree that Gensokyo/Dream versions aren't exactly 1:1. As (as I recall, I could be wrong). The dream versions aren't as...filtered? As the real versions and express how they're actually feeling. But that has nothing to do with their physical correspondence. The dream versions are capable of interacting with the real world and harm the very real cast. Events that occur in Gensokyo can also affect the dream world. The dream world showcases versions that, physically, appear the same. And possess locations found in Gensokyo. There's nothing to suggest it's not a replica. I won't claim it is because I'm not the expert. But unless there's substantial evidence to suggest they aren't physically 1:1 you can't really make an argument. Especially when everything seems to be pretty much an exact replica.

Everything else I feel everybody else could do a better job of arguing against. Cause size and all that stuff I'd not my strong suit. But I did want to address the above points.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back