• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Worm CRT: Some quick Scion (Warrior Entity key) additions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apeironaxim

He/Him
Just some small things due to concerns brought up in this thread.

For the "and many more" bit of the P&A, a little justification about not seeing every parahuman/Shard should be all that's needed, as there are many powers Scion has that have not been showcased due to how many Shards there are. Something like "As not every possible power is shown, due to there being trillions upon trillions of Shards, the Warrior Entity would have many more powers yet to be seen"

For the resistance section, the reason he resists all the previous abilities is due to the Warrior Entity being the one who imposes the Manton Limit/Effect on Shards, which is what allows powers to selectively affect things or not.
“Okay, so… I have a bit of a crazy idea,[...]Hair,” I said.

“No,” was the response, without a beat missed.

“I can’t promise it would work, but hair can confuse the Manton effect. It might be that the power gets confused because it’s a part of your identity and a part of you, but it’s not alive either. There are parahumans who impregnate their costumes with hair to make them resistant to their own powers. There are some who have costumes that are just hair, or mostly hair, but those are pretty scanty, as you can probably imagine.”

“I think I’ve heard of that parahuman,” Sveta said. When I arched an eyebrow, she said, “The hair impregnation thing.”
[...]
“How much would I need?” Ashley asked.

“If it did work, you might not even need much. A strand every quarter-inch or so, along the length, or along the parts that are likely to get clipped by your power. Maybe a bit more.”

- Shade 4.6
"Or the floor. You said we have to watch the floor,” Parian said.

“Yeah, but there isn’t much we can do about that,” I said. “The way powers tend to prioritize things, walls will be a problem before floors are. [...] PRT research. Classes. There’s a whole mess of research into why people like Shadow Stalker from our hometown didn’t fall through the floor to the planet’s core.”

- Blinding 11.6
Taliesinskye and Psychogecko are pretty on target. Though Kaiser’s power wouldn’t prevent him from growing armor -on- someone (which is essentially what he did when he trapped Lung in the pyramid of blades, only it was a more offensive use).

The Manton effect essentially says that for most capes that does something at point X, or originates at point X, that point X can’t be inside another person. Different capes are affected by this to different degrees or not at all.

Capes like Vista and Faultline are extreme cases of capes who are affected a great deal; Vista’s power affects an area, and it’s exponentially harder to use if there’s more people inside that area. This is mostly because her power is actually lots of little interconnected events, some of which are bound to fall inside people in the area. Faultline’s drawback is that she simply can’t affect another living thing with her power, period, likely because she’s extending her power into whoever or whatever she’s touching to sever molecular bonds and ‘cut’ them.

On the flip side of the coin, for capes with powers that wouldn’t work if they couldn’t reach inside other living things, the Manton effect doesn’t usually apply. Taylor’s one such case. If the Manton effect was as severe in her case as it was for Faultline, she wouldn’t be able to extend her power to the bugs’ minds (such as they are) to control them or get intimate details on their biology and locations… so she wouldn’t have a power at all. Panacea and Regent are other examples of this at work.

- WoG; Interlude 5
The entity looks to the future to check for danger.

Plague.

All signs point to the shards murdering their hosts.

The hosts must be protected, or this will be disastrous, counter-intuitive. The entity adjusts the innate safeguards, protections to reflect the host species and their tolerances. The bonding process will protect the host, where the host needs protection. Shards that are capable of providing flame at will cannot burn the hosts, now. Shards are reorganized, combined and clustered where necessary, to grant sufficient protection.

Infestation.

Better, but not perfect. The entity refines the process, limits certain abilities, so they will not eradicate too many at a time.

Soft. The broadcast is sent out to the counterpart, along with suggestions and tips on how to refine the shards.

Agreement, the counterpart accepts.

But the entity can still see fallout effects. There are parallels in memory storage. Not many, but there may be glimmers where the subject is capable of perceiving the information stored in the shard as the connections are formed.

For good measure, the entity breaks up one shard cluster, tunes it, then codes the effect into each and every shard. It studies the host species further, refines, attunes.

It takes time, but the entity forms a sufficient safeguard. The host species will forget any significant details.

- Interlude 26
As such, the Warrior Entity, being made of Shards, would be able to tune itself so that the various effects its Shards can produce through their physics shenanigans, such as fire or time bubbles, would not affect itself. This is even already shown during the fight against Scion.
To top it all off, anything we found that worked only worked for a short time. Either the user died, or Scion adapted his defenses to become immune to it.

- Speck 30.2
And it's just how Entities further protect themselves with each Cycle
Each time the cycle started anew, lessons had been learned, methods refined. Each time, the spawn that are spewed out from the destroyed planet are more robust, larger, hosting innumerable memories. Where memories fall in parallel, they are shared out, offered to others.

After more than three thousand cycles, there are safeguards, there are protections. The arsenal of abilities, powers and protections the creature possesses have been built up. The entity remembers past failures and has adapted so they will not happen again.

- Interlude 26
The justification would be something along the lines of "A full power Warrior Entity would resist every power it possess, as they are the one who tunes Shards in various ways so that their effects will only work on certain things, thus meaning they can tune themselves to be immune to said effects. The Warrior Entity has adapted and built up protections across thousands of Cycles so that it may prevent any failures it possibly can"

Eh, look at Najimi Ajimu, she's stated to have way too many powers, but we don't list "far more" or the like as these powers are just not displayed and can't be guessed or anything, this'd set a bad precedent to list similar claims to other pages with highly variable powers that are barely explored at times (notably Reality Warping), so if this is the sole reason to list that then I'd disagree, I think it'd be more appropiate to instead point out that powers not already listed are too minor and (presumably, I'm not into the verse) are already covered broadly by other before-mentioned powers and abilities on the page, some wordings on the page could also be adjusted accordingly.

I'm fine with the resistance stuff.

The powers not seen are almost definetly not "too minor", there are some game changing powers like reality warping or cross-dimensional existence erasure that were not seen in Worm and only seen on its sequel like some 4 years later. I really don't think saying that many more powers that we have not seen exist just, exist. It's for indexing purposes after all, no one's gonna be using that argument in fights.

CRT's good btw.

Eh, the non-displayed powers being minor or not is irrelevant to the given precedent of not mentioning "far more" or similar, if anything Scion should be match-banned if we want to get there out of notable stuff being inherently missed for our purposes (not that I'm a fan of that either).

Last edited:
I don’t think that is a reason for him to resist all powers, after all the shards are the ones using the powers, so them being able to manipulate what their powers effect makes sense
Zion is simply Reactive Evolution where he becomes resistant to powers after being exposed to them

Would it just be easier to get rid of the "and many more" then? I personally don't see a problem with saying for indexing purposes that clearly Scion has not shown each of his trillions upon trillions upon trillions of powers, but if it's so much of a problem for some weird reason then i'd rather just get rid of those few words and call it done.

I don’t think that is a reason for him to resist all powers, after all the shards are the ones using the powers, so them being able to manipulate what their powers effect makes sense
Zion is simply Reactive Evolution where he becomes resistant to powers after being exposed to them
This is actually not true, when Shards give their users manton limitations, they become resistant to not only their own powers but yhe subjects of them as well. For example, Lugh is resistant to fire, as is Sundancer, including fire that isn't their own. Thinker powers interfere with other thinker powers, and masters are resistant to other master powers.

Also, there's a quote saying that the Warrior Entity has a set of protections and safeguards in regards to powers regardless.

This is actually not true, when Shards give their users manton limitations, they become resistant to not only their own powers but yhe subjects of them as well. For example, Lugh is resistant to fire, as is Sundancer, including fire that isn't their own. Thinker powers interfere with other thinker powers, and masters are resistant to other master powers.

Also, there's a quote saying that the Warrior Entity has a set of protections and safeguards in regards to powers regardless.
no they don’t, there is no proof of this, Sundancer for an example is just Replacing her immediate vicinity with normal air from another dimension, that is not a resistence
Multiple Precogs interfering with eachother is just common sense, of course two people trying to change the future for their own benefit with mess with eachother, only Some masters are resistent to master powers but yes this does apply
which means nothing since all the powers come from the Warrior

I'm pretty sure getting blasted with fire and not being affected by it does, in fact, count for resistance. I'm not really sure what you're even getting at, if Scion has all the powers he'd just have protections tuned in to protect himself.

I'm pretty sure getting blasted with fire and not being affected by it does, in fact, count for resistance. I'm not really sure what you're even getting at, if Scion has all the powers he'd just have protections tuned in to protect himself.
Except if it literally does not work like that
someone who absorbs all attacks does not get resistence they get absorbtion this is not any different as it is circumventing fire attacks by sending the heat into another dimension
we have no reason to believe they always and automatically doing this

No, if you're absorbing an attack without it harming you that's going to give you a resistance just fine. I'll type a longer thing in a bit, but that jumped out at me because that's just flat out wrong. We define resistance as "the power to withstand the effects of certain abilities through varying means," and generally taking harmful things into one's body would cause harm, so yes harmlessly absorbing shit would count as resistance just fine.

Right, so given two staff have agreed to this and the guy just hasn't responded to Wok, I gave Ginger the go-ahead to edit stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back