• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Wiki Affiliates and Copy Cat Wikis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sera_EX

She Who Dabbles in Fiction
VS Battles
Retired
Over the past two months, I've been asked on G+ about "how we are able to maintain so many wikis at once. Which VSBW is the original/main wiki". It took a bit of explaining to help newcomers differentiate between a copy cat wiki and our sister wikis. The primary confusion of course comes from both types using the same tier system as we do (generally). I was thinking we'd list on the main page who our sister-wikis are, like FC/OC and JokeBattles. I don't think we'd need to go as far as to list ACF or DBF as affiliates but this way wondering folks can tell that only very few wikis are actually related to us and the rest are copy cats (ill-intentioned or not, doesn't matter) whereas FC/OC was founded because this wiki doesn't allow fanfiction or original characters and JBW was founded because this wiki no longer allows joke characters or youtube personalities. Some people believe JBW is a literal mockery of VSBW when that certainly isn't the case. Just a thought.

Somebody really thought JBW was made to mock us? It's ran by some of the staff of THIS wiki. Maybe we should make a clear note stating FC/OC and Joke Battles are sister wikis of sorts.

Btw Sera, I think this should be a staff only thread but I'll wait to see what others think.

@Ever essentially to list are wiki's affiliates to avoid confusion

@Venom agreed

@Sera also agreed

Like, on the main page list FC/OC and JBW under a "Other Wikis" section or something of that nature, so casual visitors know they are extensions of this wiki and not copy cats. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough. I just woke up.

Our only official partner wikis are Joke Battles and FC/OC. I asked DarkLK about ACF a while ago, and he was not interested in a partnership.

We already mention both Joke Battles and FC/OC in our site rules. The question here is if we should mention them at the bottom of our front page?

I'm of course completely fine with this. And I don't think I even have to mention how ridiculous the idea of Joke Battles being a site meant to bash this place is.

There are also two Brazilian Wikis of very high-quality that are based on our standards. One is run by Executor N0, one of the best users here.

They aren't exactly copycats, they have their own Tiering System that's inspired by ours. I am only bringing them up because I am a huge fan of both, and wouldn't mind us being associated with them much like we are with the russian ACF.

We are not affiliated with the ACF, and we won't give any free publicity to wikis that have copied our system, and are potential drains of our popularity. I would appreciate if you permanently drop this issue.

Christ, they didn't copy our system,and they wouldn't be drains to us but the contrary. We don't know Dimensional Tiering.

We will not affiliate ourselves with any wikis that are not an asset to ourselves. They would dillute our popularity, fanbase, and entire concept. That is final. Again, I would appreciate if you immediately drop this.

Antvasima said:
I asked DarkLK about ACF a while ago, and he was not interested in a partnership.

In fact, I could talk about it with the administrators. It depends on what we understand by this partnership.

@DarkLK Well, it mostly simply means linking to the other wiki at the bottom of the front page.

I don't see a Staff Discussion slab (yet), but isn't the Tiering System ripped from somewhere else and not even this place's creation? I don't see an issue to go nuts about someone else using the system. People going to different places is based more on preference, or what some people believe. Some people prefer OBD's views on so-and-so, and some prefer ours, we can't really stop it or force them to.

Not much of an issue, if you ask me. Just discern which wikis we're affiliated with.

Antvasima said:
@DarkLK Well, it mostly simply means linking to the other wiki at the bottom of the front page.

Ok, we'll take up this issue later.

@DarkLK Okay. Thanks.

@Arigarmy

Well, DarkLK designed the basic structure of the higher levels of our system for the Anime Characters Fight wiki, whereas we got much of the structure for the lower levels from the OBD. We have made plenty of revisions to our own version though.

Anyway, this is mostly about that we have to try to maintain our popularity and the appeal/reliability of our core concept. With dozens of wikis that directly copy our main pages, everything can very easily fall apart into a disordered mess of different wikis competing for attention, which would likely destroy not just ourselves, but all coherent structure of the entire battleboard community. We cannot give official seals of approval unless the wiki in question is, or has been, very beneficial to ourselves.

Hm, it is a little peculiar, but I don't believe any of them are trying to take over in popularity. I'll let you do your thing. This is your issue, not mine.

So, should we add Joke Battles, FC/OC, and possibly the Anime Characters Fight wiki as official partners to this wiki at the bottom of the front page?

Preferably in a section at the bottom of the front page.

However, we still have to wait for a confirmation from DarkLK.

I'm sorry, but now we (ACF) have some kind of administrative crisis. So in the near future (maybe a month) I can not say the answer.

Start without us.

Okay. Thanks. We can add you as a partner later.

I have now added Joke Battles and FC/OC to the bottom of the front page.

Yes, so do I, but I don't know how to make or link to them. Maybe Ryukama can help?

That would work, yes. Thank you.

I would appreciate if somebody could turn the banners into links to the respective wikis. Then I can copy the code to the front page.

Never mind. I figured it out. The front page has been updated.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

-Charles Caleb Colton

The Tier System is pretty damn good, but then exponential growth is the only logical way to put things into tiers.

There is literally no other way to organize tiers. People might generalize it more (star -> universe), but the core idea stays.

@Ghost I'm 99% confident we're talking about Wikis with the same or nearly the same page formats and a literal copy/paste of the tiering system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back