• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Wiki Affiliates and Copy Cat Wikis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we do. They generally copy-paste all of their major pages from us without giving credit.

While that can be problem, ironically a lot of the pages I've seen do the same thing with summaries and some other stuff from other wikis. You can easily spot the ones that do this by the simple fact that they have kanji in parentheses next to their name.

Son Goku (VS):

"Goku (Õ¡½ µéƒþ®║, Son Gokü), born Kakarot (Òé½Òé½Òâ¡ÒââÒâê, Kakarotto), is the main protagonist of the Dragon Ball metaseries created by Akira Toriyama. He is one of the last pure-blooded Saiyans."

Goku (DB Wiki):

"Son Goku (Õ¡½ µéƒþ®║, Son Gokü), born Kakarot (Òé½Òé½Òâ¡ÒââÒâê, Kakarotto), is a male Saiyan and the main protagonist of the Dragon Ball metaseries created by Akira Toriyama. (excerpt from a longer paragraph)."

Pegasus Seiya (VS):

"Seiya (µÿƒþƒó, Seiya) also known as Pegasus Seiya (Õñ®Úª¼µÿƒÕ║ºÒü«µÿƒþƒó, Pegasasu no Seiya) is the titular Main Character of the Saint Seiya Manga and Anime series written and illustrated by Masami Kurumada. Seiya is one of the Goddess Athena's eighty-eight mythical warriors known as Saints, who have served their goddess throughout the ages, protecting justice and peace on Earth. Being the one chosen by the Pegasus Constellation in the 20th Century, Seiya is among the 52 Bronze Saints."

Seiya (SS Wiki):

"Seiya (µÿƒþƒó, Seiya) also known as Pegasus Seiya (Õñ®Úª¼µÿƒÕ║ºÒü«µÿƒþƒó, Pegasasu no Seiya) is the title and main protagonist of the Saint Seiya manga and anime series written and illustrated by Masami Kurumada. Seiya is one of Athena's eighty-eight mythical warriors known as the Saints who are serving their goddess throughout the ages, protecting justice and peace on Earth. Seiya is also one of the forty-eight Bronze Saints and is protected by the Pegasus Constellation so he wears the Pegasus Cloth."

Even some video games are in this as well.

Mega Man (Classic) (VS):

"Mega Man, known as Rockman (Òâ¡ÒââÒé»Òâ×Òâ│ Rokkuman, from the phrase "Rock 'n Roll") in Japan, also known as Mega or Rock in his original form, is the title character of what has been referred to as the "Classic" Mega Man series developed by Capcom since 1987."

Mega Man (character) (MM Wiki):

"Mega Man, known as Rockman (Òâ¡ÒââÒé»Òâ×Òâ│ Rokkuman?, from the phrase "Rock 'n Roll") in Japan, also known as Mega or Rock in his original form, is the title character of what has been referred to as the "Classic" Mega Man series developed by Capcom since 1987." (An example of it being the exact same thing.)

Those are just some examples that I've seen, and if there are some differences, it's either because of:

A. The wiki they ripped it from had gradually updated the profile's description over time.

B. They only changed a small portion of it or used some other words to get around it, even though it still has about half of the thing 100% ripped.

Maybe this isn't important to the thread's subject, but we can't just say they rip off our pages without knowing the fact that some of our pages rip from others too. It's like a thief saying the $100 he stole form a lady's purse was stolen by another thief, if you ask me.

Sera explained this a long time ago, all content on wikias are licensed under CC-BY-SA. This includes Wikimedia projects and Wikipedia itself. We are allowed to use summaries/etc. from other wikis as it is free to re-distribute.

@Venom

I still find it distasteful and lazy even if it's technically allowed. I had an entire Anti-Plagiarism Rule drafted in response to this.

No, plagairism is never allowed. But just a summary? That's not even a considerable portion of the articles listed above. Who cares if a mere summary was ripped?

Well if plagiarizing other wikis' entire summaries is okay under "re-ditribution" then can't someone make that same argument as to "re-distrubuting" our Tiering System?

I'm with Reppuzan about how we should heavily discourage plagiarism and seek to fix profiles we see that have them.

And not only should we discourage ourselves from plagiarizing from others, we should discourage others from plagiarizing from us.

Formulating a few original thoughts to make a quick summary is far from difficult. And in all honesty, I'm a bit suprirsed that you, a passionate writer, are defending plagiarism at all. Even if it's "just a little", "techincally allowed" or "not that important" of plagiarism.

I advise anyone to read this page before arguing about Fandom's licensing policy. It's clear what's allowed and what isn't.

Furthermore, all wikis are meant to be publicly accessible and all content freely licensed. Doing otherwise is a violation of Fandom's ToU and could get the wiki shutdown.

@Sera I couldn't care less if Wikia allows this form of plagiarism. Our community should not be encouraging it at all. And seek to revise profiles we come across that do such.

It's...just a summary. Jeez if a single paragraph of a multi-thousand word wiki article is plagiarism than I'll make sure to not do that.

Our tiering system is not licensed. If someone else wants to use it unfortunately they can.

@Venom I'll make sure to only copy one paragraph of your next book and publish it my novel then. It won't matter, cause most of it isn't plagiarized.

Plagiarism is plagiarism. Arguing the quantity is irrelevant. As is the idea of Wikia techincally allowing it.

As Reppuzan said, either way it's still distasteful and lazy. Along with Ari saying we have no right to complain about people plagiarizing us if we're to allow or not condemn us plagiarizing others.

@Ryu

It's not plagiarism.

Plagairism would copying Mega-Man's page word for word (or only making subtle changes) not simply a summary.

Ryu that's a book. Which is copyrighted (┬®).

Look at the Bleach pages? They have the exact same attack descriptions from Bleach Wiki. That's going too far.

@Sera Copying an entire written section from someone else verbatim, then posting it as our own without properly crediting the actual author(s) is plagiarism. Even if not on a technical or Wikia Guideline level, then at least on an ethical and in essence level. Again "oh I only plagiarized a little bit" doesn't make it not plagiarism.

@Venom Even if me copying a paragraph from your book and you copying a paragraph from someone's Wikia page aren't considered by law or Wikia Guidelines to be the same. It's hard to argue on an ethical or effective level, both these actions aren't comparable. If you don't want people plagiarizing anything from you, you shouldn't condone people plagiarizing anything from anyone else.

Who cares?

I care greatly. Just a summary is still copying it, doesn't matter the size, and even if is okay, I believe it should be a discouraged option unless it's entirely necessary or there is no other way to list something. I don't think we need kanjis next to a person's name in parentheses on an english-based site.

I generally prefer to list the character's name in the original Japanese in both Kanji and Romanji next to the english name.

Several videos on this wikia are ripped straight out of YouTube, but no one is saying anything about that or how certain images are copyrighted yet still placed on this wiki not licensed under "Fair Use".

Using a video or image in order to write an educational article on a topic is not the same thing as taking someone else's written educational article, and passing it off as our own.

You're comparing a university student who uses Madonna's songs to support his thesis about music, and a student who plagiarized the first student's thesis, even if just a small amount.

You also keep forgetting the difference in licensing.

Informing people about various stats and abilities of these characters. Yeah it's an unimportant, and silly topic. But it's still educating people about that nonetheless.

Even then okay this site isn't educational. Doesn't change the fact that merely using an image or a video as support to write something, and ripping someone else's writing, are not the same thing.

Also I just want to say, this is only a mere discussion of ideas. There is nothing at all personal behind anything. And I still greatly respect and like everyone I talked to here. I hope it stays the same with everyone else.

It's fine Ryu. I just have a bad headache now. And since I agree with you mostly about plagiarism anyway it doesn't make sense to argue about subtleties.

Well, I obviously agree about that we should minimise copying texts as much as possible, and even helped to create a wiki rule against this, but there is a major difference between copying a few sentences for a summary, which we still heavily discourage, but is technically allowed, as Sera mentioned, and plagiarising all of our entire foundation pages outright without giving credit, which is not.

Of course certain degrees of plagiarism are less severe than others. But it's still plagiarism, which should not be encouraged, nor defended under the argument that the plagiarism is less severe in my opinion.

Well, as I mentioned, I do not in any way condone it, and helped to create a rule against it, but I nevertheless maintain that we have made a massive effort to mostly develop our own content. We simply do not have the time to check that all of our contributors and pages follow the regulation perfectly. The copycat wikis directly copy-paste all of our foundation pages without any credit, which is considerably worse.

Of course. I'm not expecting a revision. But we should definitely try our best to stop it from happening anymore to the best we can. And revise pages like this we come across, as Reppuzan and I have worked hard to do in the past.

Obviously we should also prevent plagiarism from happening to us as well. I simply think that it'd be a bit hypocritical for us to do that whilst not discouraging ourselves from plagiarizing others.

Though with the rule you helped create, along with the steps we're taking to weed out the Copy Cat Wikis, all those issues are addressed. So I really have nothing more to say.

Okay. Is there any more necessary discussion to be handled here, or should we close this thread?

I've settled my points of contention with the others. You edited the main page to show that JBW and FCOC are our affiliates. Cross and I did the same on our wikis. We've had this anti-plagiarism rule for a while now. I don't think there's any more to say.

Well, DarkLK will contact me about when/if we and the ACF wiki will become affiliates, but I do not think that keeping this thread open is necessary for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back