• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why is the primal monitor questionably omnipotent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HIT IT said:
Antvasima said:
We still cannot go into the area of real life humanity being deemed a race of tiet 0's lording over words and pictures. It would render our entire tiering system meaningless. The distinction between reality and fiction must be maintained.
You do have a point but the point of contention remains that the Primal Monitor is restricted in some way, and thereby not tier 0, considering that the existence of the Marvel multiverse terrified him.
Exactly this.

Well, it considered the DC multiverse something unholy, chaotic, and disgusting compared to its own immeasurably vast purity. That is not the same as being threatened.

Regardless, I suppose that I may have to change its tier to "Unknown". What do the rest of the staff members think?

I believe you mean DC Multiverse.

And the fact that Grant Morrison himself, the guy who created the Primal Monitor, said someone drew on him.

This is what makes me suggest "The Writer" as the Supreme Being of DC.

We're not talking about the real life Grant Morrison, no.

I'm taking about the character who embodies The Writer, any writer, but is still a fictional character. Grant Morrison never created a multiverse in real life, as far as I know.

Well, The PM is the supreme character, but within any fiction, a writer can technically just decide to let a tier 0 lose to bacteria, if he or she feels like it. See Ajimu Najimi and Iihiko Shishime for a metafictional version of that.

However, this does not mean that we can break our entire system, and start to list profiles for all of the authors in existence as tier 0's. I would appreciate if you would permanently drop this matter, as it would destroy the entire point of the wiki if we applied it.

Matthew Schroeder said:
OBD also considers The Writer to be the supreme being of DC, now.
We use a different ranking system than the OBD. I mean completely different. They don't follow what we do and we don't follow what they do.

Let's recap a bit. If we are to believe what Grant is saying, then "someone" has drawn the DC multiverse on the Primal Monitor. It wasn't the Primal Monitor's body/being itself in an act of subsconsiousness look-alike. The reaction of the Primal Monitor was of "shock", of surprise. Hence, the Primal Monitor couldn't have made it consciously either, since he didn't fathom something like the DC multiverse could exist. In the end, we see that someone forced something onto the Primal Monitor, against his will. If the Primal Monitor was truly omnipotent, I am pretty sure he would have known of that "parasite" of sorts.

Yeah, the removal of the Tier 0 is in order.

I'm not insisting that every author character is a Tier 0, that is stupid. Only that the DC "The Writer" is. Because by Grant's own words and logic, he is the supreme being of DC and drew on the Primal Monitor.

Okay. I will place its tier as "Unknown".

Actually, thinking slightly more of Grant Morrison's stories, I'm not sure his words in that interview can be trusted completely.

I mean, with al do respect, he is a really excentric man and his stories not only have no concept of 4th wall, with characters realizing that they themselves are fictional, but continuity and retcons seem to be non-existent. In his Batman R.I.P and Batman Inc. series, he treats everything, even Pre-Crisis Batman as canonical.

And relating to The Primal Monitor's "Shock" or "Surprise"... I'm not sure it can even be called that. The thing is literally a formless, boundless, infinite stretch of whiteness. It seems completely mindless, rather.

Blade0886 said:
Let's recap a bit. If we are to believe what Grant is saying, then "someone" has drawn the DC multiverse on the Primal Monitor. It wasn't the Primal Monitor's body/being itself in an act of subsconsiousness look-alike. The reaction of the Primal Monitor was of "shock", of surprise. Hence, the Primal Monitor couldn't have made it consciously either, since he didn't fathom something like the DC multiverse could exist. In the end, we see that someone forced something onto the Primal Monitor, against his will. If the Primal Monitor was truly omnipotent, I am pretty sure he would have known of that "parasite" of sorts.

Yeah, the removal of the Tier 0 is in order.
Exactly what I was thinking

@Matthew As I have mentioned, this is a sensitive matter that would open the borders for rating every author character in existence as tier 0, as it would demolish the walls between reality and fiction, which we have a strict policy against. I would appreciate if you immediately permanently drop this.

Anyway, I have now changed the PM to "Unknown. At least 1-A".

Fine.

I'd just like to hear other Staff Members thoughts on this.

Edit: Anyway, Grant Morrison's page should still be renamed to "The Writer" and the 10-B bit should be removed. I accept he shouldn't be Tier 0, but he has feats. 1-A or Impossible to define.

I would rather just delete the page. It violates our no interaction between reality and fiction policy.

Impossible to define is a possibility though.

The thing with DC's "The Writer" character is that they treat it as a serious thing. It's not Stan Lee showing up and winking at the camera, or Lord of Nightmares beating her author with a shovel.

Guidebooks of the time even listed him as an actual character.

Anyway, here are my suggestions for both pages:

The Primal Monitor's page is renamed to Monitor-Mind The Over Void.

I think there should also be a gallery to give feats and explanation pictures and what not, and maybe a summary.

Grant Morrison is renamed The Writer, and the 10-B section is removed. He is either 1-A or Impossible to define. Omniscient and Omnipresent, as that is how he was depicted in the issue.

I can do both changes just fine, if it'd be too demanding for you, Ant.

As I keep repeating, it would be directly damaging to the wiki's entire system to in any way erase the border between reality and fiction. This is based on direct instructions from DarkLK. I would rather just delete the page, if this continues to be a problem. Also, when John Ostrander wrote the character, and killed him off, he legitimately was just tier 10-B.

I again ask you to please permanently immediately drop this matter, and to not ignore my request. Thank you.

I also repeat myself, I do not want to erase the border between reality and fiction. I am not suggesting to make Tier 0 pages for Tori-Bot or MCU Stan Lee. I know it doesn't work like that.

What I do think is that within Grant Morrison's DC Comics Cosmology, the concept of "The Writer" does apply, and can make sense. Both Final Crisis and Multiversity are incredibly metafictional, and The Primal Monitor already blurs the line between reality and fiction. It's supposed to be "the page", but as a fictional entity within the DC Verse.

Anyway. I agree with you on The Writer not being Tier 0. I just want him to be a Tier 1 or Impossible to Define.

Edit: Okay, let's drop the matter. Let's leave Grant Morrison / The Writer as an Impossible to Define character.

I do not mind if you wish to rename the PM page as Monitor-Mind or The Overvoid.

Eh, this whole thing has been going for far too long.

I think this is enough, I'm tired.

I can improve the profile later, requesting another Admin to temporarely unlock it.

Well, the problem is thst if we do treat the writer seriously in this case, it will open the borders for lots of fans of other series to demand that we rate the author avatars of their favourite series as tier 0 or at least 1-A as well.

Antvasima said:
Okay. I will place its tier as "Unknown".
How does unknown, possibly at least 1-A for the Primal Monitor sound? And I mean isn't Azathoth mindless but technically also omniscient since it dreamed said omniscient being(s) yet is tier 0 (I am aware that omniscience isn't one of it's abilities)?

EDIT: The change has already been made, just checked again. Thanks, at least 1-A sounds accurate, possibly high 1-A... dunno if we can say tier 0 anymore.

The only thing that makes it impossible from being a Tier 0 is Grant Morrison's own explanations saying that someone else (I.E, the real life writer, which makes no sense from a reality-fiction standpoint) drew the DC Multiverse on him.

Him being "Unaware and shocked" with the DC Multiverse isn't that problematic, as it is a sort of mindless being.

But yeah, it is At least 1-A for being Absolutely boundless and transcedental, and the canvas for all possible creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back