• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why is LoS Dracula scaled to mainline Dracula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I know of the Lords of Shadow reboot games, it’s fairly obvious to me that Mainline and LoS Dracula are two completely different characters in totally separate universes (Chaos, as in the Chaos Entity, isn’t even hinted at throughout the lore of the 3 LoS games. The rules for how their powers work are also different). Is it because of that Castlevania pachinko game?

Chaos does exist in Lords of Shadow, the lore for the chaos claws talks about the chaos in the castle alongside the lore lining up with the mainline series, and numerous word of god mention the games that aren’t part of the main timeline are parallel universes so anything fundamental to chaos scales across the games.

Chaos does exist in Lords of Shadow, the lore for the chaos claws talks about the chaos in the castle alongside the lore lining up with the mainline series, and numerous word of god mention the games that aren’t part of the main timeline are parallel universes so anything fundamental to chaos scales across the games.
I just played through Lords of Shadow 2 from the beginning up to the point where you get the Chaos Claws, and I can’t find anything that talks about Chaos (the entity, not the power).

Both the lore for the Chaos Claws and for the Chaos Bombs outright state that the power is of Gabriel, and “only the Lord of Vampires” is capable of using them. Therefore, they can’t be created by another entity.

I really, truly, don’t understand where this reference to Chaos is meant to be found.

I’ll try to have some screenshots up soon. However, I’m having difficulties with my computer, so that may be a little while.

Did you read the lore about the chaos claws? The ashes of the castle Gabriel burnt turned into the chaos claws, which is powered by the primordial gem, and again Gabriel’s lore on how he comes back lines up with how Dracula comes back in the mainline series.

Did you read the lore about the chaos claws? The ashes of the castle Gabriel burnt turned into the chaos claws, which is powered by the primordial gem, and again Gabriel’s lore on how he comes back lines up with how Dracula comes back in the mainline series.
No offense intended, but that is, by far, the weakest justification for any character’s stat tier that I’ve seen in this community, ever. “This character was resurrected in a similar way to this character, who exists in a completely different timeline, which means that their powers must be connected.”

Like, my dude, it’s a reboot. They’re going to share some story beats. By definition, they kind of have to. It doesn’t mean that the two timelines are connected.

At that point, why even have separate pages for the mainline, LoS, and Netflix Dracula’s if they might as well have the exact same power set?

Anyways, I think I might consider making a Revision Thread. Beyond the timeline weirdness, there are quite a few conclusions I don’t really agree with regarding Gabriel’s profile. Thanks for answering my questions, and have a pleasant day/night.

Gotta love how you glossed over the part where the chaos claws are stated to come from the castle itself, a creature of chaos, something that literally every single game, canon and non canon share in common with. The timelines are connected by word of god, did you not read the blog I sent alongside what I said earlier in the thread or no? Because they literally say they exist in the same multiverse.

Did you read the blog ?
An interview quote regarding the canonicity of Lords of Shadow relative to the primary timeline: "Is this game a full reboot, disregarding the series storyline and characters completely, or would you still consider games like Cv1/4,2, and 3 (or any other game) part of the same continuity?

This game is Castlevania reborn, so no, it has nothing to do with the so called canon. Actually, Kojima-san came up with that whole reborn line. We did not want to presume to insert ourselves in the so called time line, nor did we want to be constrained by it. So, we decided to create something outside of it, so we would have the freedom to do something fresh and original. So, in this game nothing that you are familiar with has happened. You have to approach Castlevania: Lords of Shadow with an open mind. Anything goes!

If not, any chance that the game will eventually be included in the main canon anyway?No chance!!

though I don't doubt some players will find a space for it, especially as we have set it before Lament of Innocence, but in reality, this game is not connected."

Copy-pasted directly from the blog. Lords of Shadow and the primary canon have nothing to do with each other, as per Word of God. I don't know where the idea that the two are connected comes from.

If anyone can find a piece of official info that contradicts this, please feel free to let me know.

Gotta love how you glossed over the part where the chaos claws are stated to come from the castle itself, a creature of chaos, something that literally every single game, canon and non canon share in common with. The timelines are connected by word of god, did you not read the blog I sent alongside what I said earlier in the thread or no? Because they literally say they exist in the same multiverse.
You're still making the assumption that Chaos, as an entity, exists in the Lords of Shadow canon. Really, between Satan taking the role of the primary enemy of God, and Inner Dracula taking the role of Dracula's power personified, Chaos has no reason to exist in this canon.

Edit: Copy-pasting from another comment in this thread, just so there are no misunderstandings:

An interview quote regarding the canonicity of Lords of Shadow relative to the primary timeline: "Is this game a full reboot, disregarding the series storyline and characters completely, or would you still consider games like Cv1/4,2, and 3 (or any other game) part of the same continuity?

This game is Castlevania reborn, so no, it has nothing to do with the so called canon. Actually, Kojima-san came up with that whole reborn line. We did not want to presume to insert ourselves in the so called time line, nor did we want to be constrained by it. So, we decided to create something outside of it, so we would have the freedom to do something fresh and original. So, in this game nothing that you are familiar with has happened. You have to approach Castlevania: Lords of Shadow with an open mind. Anything goes!

If not, any chance that the game will eventually be included in the main canon anyway?No chance!!

though I don't doubt some players will find a space for it, especially as we have set it before Lament of Innocence, but in reality, this game is not connected."

Copy-pasted directly from the blog. Lords of Shadow and the primary canon have nothing to do with each other, as per Word of God. I don't know where the idea that the two are connected comes from.

Last edited:
So you didn’t actually read the blog, congratulations your argument holds no weight.
Alright, I'm done playing games and searching for this hidden piece of information that completely disproves my argument. You're the one who made the blog, so why don't you find it instead, since I'm obviously so blind and incompetent?

latest

Literally all non canon games are in the same multiverse. Lords of shadow not being part of the main canon means Jack shit. Also you have yet to refute the point about the chaos claws stemming from the castle, an aspect of chaos that’s been a thing in all of the games, canon or otherwise.

I'm inclined to share the OP's skepticism, but it partially comes down to how we compare and contrast different WoGs.

Adi Shankar, the showrunner for the animated series, is the source of the "parallel universes quote" whereas Dave Cox, a producer for the LoS game series, said they are not in the canon. While I am sort-of willing to accept Shankar's statement as enough reason to consider them as being part of the same multiverse, but I am less clear on the assertion of chaos being present in LoS, or how -- if chaos were in LoS -- how exactly that allows us to scale these characters in different universes?
Both the lore for the Chaos Claws and for the Chaos Bombs outright state that the power is of Gabriel, and “only the Lord of Vampires” is capable of using them. Therefore, they can’t be created by another entity.

I really, truly, don’t understand where this reference to Chaos is meant to be found.
Really, between Satan taking the role of the primary enemy of God, and Inner Dracula taking the role of Dracula's power personified, Chaos has no reason to exist in this canon.

Adi Shankar, the showrunner for the animated series, is the source of the "parallel universes quote" whereas Dave Cox, a producer for the LoS game series, said they are not in the canon. While I am sort-of willing to accept Shankar's statement as enough reason to consider them as being part of the same multiverse, but I am less clear on the assertion of chaos being present in LoS, or how -- if chaos were in LoS -- how exactly that allows us to scale these characters in different universes?
What is scaled is general Chaos stuff.

Chaos is a concept that runs throughout the multiverse and is the same source for all creatures of chaos.

You see chaos creatures or dracula have things like "Chaos creatures have/can"

The draculas or the alucard do not have the same powers, what they have in equal are the "general" things of chaos.

It is the same source of multiversion power that all chaos creatures are made from or draw their power from.

That's the logic.

latest

Literally all non canon games are in the same multiverse. Lords of shadow not being part of the main canon means Jack shit. Also you have yet to refute the point about the chaos claws stemming from the castle, an aspect of chaos that’s been a thing in all of the games, canon or otherwise.
1. That statement seems extremely iffy. Between what might have been lost in translation and the fact that another statement of significantly greater detail directly contradicts this one, I don't think I can buy this.

2. You forget that Gabriel's literally a dragon with god-tier demonic power. There's nothing that says that Gabriel attacked the castle in his human form, couldn't he have just gone dragon mode and used his fire breath? The lore you're talking about even mentions that the castle was reduced to ashes, not rubble.

3. The castle had also been magic long before Gabriel set foot inside (Thanks to the "experiments" of Walter Bernhard, Toymaker, Frankenstein, Carmilla, and Laura). It wouldn't surprise me that the castle had some sort of ambient dark magic about it, even without the interference of extradimensional entities.

An image link to what exactly I'm talking about regarding the Castle being reduced to ashes

What is scaled is general Chaos stuff.

Chaos is a concept that runs throughout the multiverse and is the same source for all creatures of chaos.

You see chaos creatures or dracula have things like "Chaos creatures have/can"

The draculas or the alucard do not have the same powers, what they have in equal are the "general" things of chaos.

It is the same source of multiversion power that all chaos creatures are made from or draw their power from.

That's the logic.
I read the blog and looked over all of the references and explanations for "Chaos" but I do not see any indication that it runs throughout the multiverse or that it's the same source for all creatures of chaos in different universes. Given that the sole reference in the blog to a connected multiverse is a statement from the animated shows showrunner who didn't work on any of the games, I suspect there likely isn't any reference that describes Chaos in such a manner, in which case, we can't assume that chaos is identical between universes (if we can even confirm it's existence in the LoS universe). The same way that various parallel versions of Marvel characters aren't necessarily identical in power.

I'm open to changing my mind, but I'm not seeing the scans or seeing where chaos is described this way in the blog.

Last edited:
@Deagonx Chaos exists in all of the non canon games, every single game talks about Dracula coming back from the darkness of humanity. Plus Chaos is Dracula’s power. That’s what makes him the dark lord in all of the different timelines in the first place as his existence is the closest tied to chaos. Lastly Castlevania judgement has a non canon character show up in the game, and creatures of chaos identity him as one of their own, when the plot involves the flow of time being threatened to be destroyed, if the games aren’t connected at all then there would be no reason for the non canon character to appear in the first place.

@Smashkabab that’s hardly an argument.

no he’s not literally the dragon, he’s the dark lord. The dragon is just a transformation he turns into, something Dracula in other timelines can turn into as well so that’s not an argument. Also what part of him being a dragon burning his castle is remotely relevant to my point that the chaos claws (chaos powers as stated in the games) come from the castle itself? This is a nothing burger of an argument.

Said magic is not the same as the one that Gabriel uses to fuel the castle’s existence. So this means nothing.

I read the blog and looked over all of the references and explanations for "Chaos" but I do not see any indication that it runs throughout the multiverse or that it's the same source for all creatures of chaos. Given that the sole reference in the blog to a connected multiverse is a statement from the animated shows showrunner who didn't work on any of the games, I suspect there likely isn't any reference that describes Chaos in such a manner, in which case, we can't assume that chaos is identical between universes (if we can even confirm it's existence in the LoS universe). The same way that various parallel versions of Marvel characters aren't necessarily identical in power.

I'm open to changing my mind, but I'm not seeing the scans or seeing where chaos is described this way in the blog.
I'm in the same position as you. I want to understand where this comes from, but I just can't.

@Deagonx Chaos exists in all of the non canon games, every single game talks about Dracula coming back from the darkness of humanity. Plus Chaos is Dracula’s power. That’s what makes him the dark lord in all of the different timelines in the first place as his existence is the closest tied to chaos
Well, it sounds as though LoS doesn't really describe Dracula using that word, but we also can't assume that it scales between the different universes. For instance, does power of the Infinity Stones is different between the MCU and Marvel Comics.

Lastly Castlevania judgement has a non canon character show up in the game, and creatures of chaos identity him as one of their own, when the plot involves the flow of time being threatened to be destroyed, if the games aren’t connected at all then there would be no reason for the non canon character to appear in the first place.
This statement from Igarashi in the blog post appears to contradict that:

IGA: I don't think it's exactly correct. Judgment is a work born of thinking it would be fun to remove all the hedges and bring characters that appeared throughout the series together. I think that you need to view it as an event from another world which does not consider things like timelines or parallel dimensions at all.

At least according to IGA, the "reason" for the non-canon character to appear is simply "it would be fun to do so" not because it's all connected.

Last edited:
no he’s not literally the dragon, he’s the dark lord. The dragon is just a transformation he turns into, something Dracula in other timelines can turn into as well so that’s not an argument. Also what part of him being a dragon burning his castle is remotely relevant to my point that the chaos claws (chaos powers as stated in the games) come from the castle itself? This is a nothing burger of an argument.

Said magic is not the same as the one that Gabriel uses to fuel the castle’s existence. So this means nothing.
Yes, he's literally descended from dragons

Gabriel doesn't maintain the existence of his castle, he maintains the existence of the version of his castle within his mind. Castlevania City is built directly on top of the remains of his physical castle, back from when he destroyed it with that nuke of holy energy.

Can we also talk about the absurd idea that Chaos (God's polar opposite in all things) would choose God's Chosen One as his representative? That's like hiring a hardcore vegan to run a butcher shop.

@Deagonx It’s called common sense, his existence comes back through the darkness in the hearts of men. Something every single Dracula ever in the series has in common. Yeah you’re comparing comics and movies continuity to the games, if you were talking about the Netflix series sure but we don’t remotely scale Netflix to the games at all.

Yeah he made it to where continuity isn’t an issue since the entire plot is the cast is in a separate universe trying to stop the time reaper, plus Aeon’s a time watcher, who’s canon to the series thanks to Saint Germain. Plus none of that remotely debunks the fact that the creatures of chaos see the non canon character as one of their own despite being “non canon.

@Smashkabab Which debunks him being the dark lord how???

Mirrors of Fate would like to have a word with you because his death caused the collapse of his castle.

This argument is irrelevant to the conversation since Mathias was a man of god who turned into the dark lord. Actually refute my points because you’re not doing a good job of it.

It’s called common sense, his existence comes back through the darkness in the hearts of men. Something every single Dracula ever in the series has in common. Yeah you’re comparing comics and movies continuity to the games, if you were talking about the Netflix series sure but we don’t remotely scale Netflix to the games at all.
Right, but consider the various versions of Trigon in DC comics. They all have a lot in common, but they aren't all the same level of powerful. A lot can change in alternate universes, and authors will shift power levels to accommodate the story they want to write.

Yeah he made it to where continuity isn’t an issue since the entire plot is the cast is in a separate universe trying to stop the time reaper, plus Aeon’s a time watcher, who’s canon to the series thanks to Saint Germain. Plus none of that remotely debunks the fact that the creatures of chaos see the non canon character as one of their own despite being “non canon.
From what Igarashi says, it seems like he isn't non-canon in that game because the game itself is "an event from another world which does not consider things like timelines or parallel dimensions at all." but I get the impression that LoS characters aren't present in it, and I don't think it would justify the assumption that all Dracula's scale through "chaos" any more than all versions of the Green Lantern would scale to each other since they're all powered by the same thing, right?

@Deagonx Did you like… read both Gabriel and Dracula’s pages at all? Because news flash they don’t have the exact same tiering and scaling. They only have the base chaos stuff connected to each other.

Lords of Shadow wasn’t even a thing when Judgement happened, and we still got Word of god later down the line saying it’s still in the same multiverse. Again read the pages, their stats aren’t the same, they literally scale to their own feats.

@Deagonx It’s called common sense, his existence comes back through the darkness in the hearts of men. Something every single Dracula ever in the series has in common. Yeah you’re comparing comics and movies continuity to the games, if you were talking about the Netflix series sure but we don’t remotely scale Netflix to the games at all.

@Smashkabab Which debunks him being the dark lord how???

Mirrors of Fate would like to have a word with you because his death caused the collapse of his castle.

This argument is irrelevant to the conversation since Mathias was a man of god who turned into the dark lord. Actually refute my points because you’re not doing a good job of it.
1. I never said it didn't. We were discussing Gabriel and his dragon form if you recall.

2. Being religious and being God's chosen representative on earth imbued with unmatched holy powers are not the same thing whatsoever.

3. Your multiverse statement is unreliable at best, it makes no sense from a narrative perspective for Chaos to be a factor in the Lords of Shadow timeline, and there's a viable explanation for how Gabriel's Chaos Claws could have come to be without the hypothetical influence of the Chaos Entity.

So you’re making a non-sequiter argument, thanks for wasting my time with this.

They’re both followers of god and turned to the dark side, this still means nothing for the canonicity.

And I’m still waiting for a refute to the multiverse statement. No it wouldn’t because the ashes of the castle (a creature of chaos) turns into the chaos claws. You’re just saying shit without actually proving your point so if this is seriously the best you got then yeah nothing you’ve said would change anything.

Did you like… read both Gabriel and Dracula’s pages at all? Because news flash they don’t have the exact same tiering and scaling. They only have the base chaos stuff connected to each other.
I did read them, but it's not clear to me which things are the "base chaos stuff" as I didn't see any obvious crossover references. Which ones crossover and why?

So you’re making a non-sequiter argument, thanks for wasting my time with this.

They’re both followers of god and turned to the dark side, this still means nothing for the canonicity.

And I’m still waiting for a refute to the multiverse statement. No it wouldn’t because the ashes of the castle (a creature of chaos) turns into the chaos claws. You’re just saying shit without actually proving your point so if this is seriously the best you got then yeah nothing you’ve said would change anything.
1. I'm not going to dignify this one with a response, clearly you just like being an ass.

2. Gabriel could just as easily turn away from the "dark side" (and he did), and then what? You have an ultra-powerful enemy not only empowered by your enemy but empowered again by you? Just seems counterproductive.

3. The person who made the statement was a showrunner for the anime with no authority to confirm/deny questions on the lore of the overall franchise and the connections that may or may not exist. Compared to this statement:
Is this game a full reboot, disregarding the series storyline and characters completely, or would you still consider games like Cv1/4,2, and 3 (or any other game) part of the same continuity?

though I don't doubt some players will find a space for it, especially as we have set it before Lament of Innocence, but in reality, this game is not connected.
which comes directly from the developers of the game and makes direct reference to Kojima himself, saying that he personally put together the Lords of Shadow canon.

@Deagonx literally read the powers and abilities, that’s the most this scales across games. Stats are exclusively their own.

@Smashkabab So you result to insulting me instead of refuting my point? That isn’t gonna help you at all.

Still means nothing for canonicity nor does it have anything to do with Chaos not being in the LoS timeline.

No he literally supervises the whole series, the Netflix series is only part of his contributions. His word has as much say as anyone in Konami or Mercury Steam. Yeah if you read that statement they literally said that it’s not included in the main canon. Meaning it’s just a non canon game, meaning alternate universe.

literally read the powers and abilities, that’s the most this scales across games. Stats are exclusively their own.
Well if an LoS character has an ability they never are actually shown to have in their game due to this scaling, it should likely be removed as it is not a sound assumption.

No he literally supervises the whole series, the Netflix series is only part of his contributions. His word has as much say as anyone in Konami or Mercury Steam. Yeah if you read that statement they literally said that it’s not included in the main canon. Meaning it’s just a non canon game, meaning alternate universe.
I'm not sure this is about Adi Shankar? His name isn't mentioned in it and nothing else I can find online about Adi Shankar shows any indication of him working on the games, being referred to as an employee of Konami, or being a video game producer in any capacity.

@Deagonx literally read the powers and abilities, that’s the most this scales across games. Stats are exclusively their own.

@Smashkabab So you result to insulting me instead of refuting my point? That isn’t gonna help you at all.

Still means nothing for canonicity nor does it have anything to do with Chaos not being in the LoS timeline.

I'll admit, I wasn't aware of that. However, that's still one (with little to no involvement in the development of the Lords of Shadow series) saying "yes" while two (who literally made the story) say "no". Only seems sensible to me to go with majority rules.

@Deagonx except it is shown, Dracula and other creatures of chaos in LoS literally dies and comes back because of the darkness in humanity. So this means nothing.

His name is mentioned in it, he’s the only other person other than Michiru Yamane who’s being interviewed in this anniversary book. Plus he’s the only main producer of the Netflix series. Saying it’s not talking about him is stupid when this is an interview about two people, the composer of the franchise and the series producer.

@Smashkabab Maybe if you read the blog like I told you, you’d be aware of it. No that’s not what’s said, what the Lords of Shadow devs said is not what you’re claiming they’re saying. They said it’s not canon to the main story, which means alternate universe by Igarashi and Adi Shankar.

Also, note that the parallel universes claim and the one of the anime sharing lore with the games are separately given points, as shown with the conclusion dot (".") in between, instead of a comma to also rely on the previous claim.

So this seems inappropriate for anything regarding LoS beyond a shared cosmology.

His name is mentioned in it, he’s the only other person other than Michiru Yamane who’s being interviewed in this anniversary book. Plus he’s the only main producer of the Netflix series. Saying it’s not talking about him is stupid when this is an interview about two people, the composer of the franchise and the series producer.
Hold on a second. In this scan it says "Special Castlevania Discussion 1." This new link is "Special Castlevania Discussion 2" and his bio is completely different, this one only references him as the executive producer of the Netflix series and doesn't say anything about him being involved with video games.

The first scan is saying that this is a transcription of a conversation between Michiru Yamane and the series producer. So the person asking the questions is the series producer, who is unnamed. That can't be Adi Shankar though, that wouldn't make any sense, because 1) he's introduced separately in a separate discussion, with a different title and 2) whoever is interviewing Michiru is also interviewing him. Unless you're advocating that Adi interviewed Michiru, but for some reason they didn't mention him by name, and then he himself was interviewed by a different person, at which point they named him but for some reason left out the fact that he's also the producer for the video game series.

Yeah, that's just not about Adi. The guy interviewing Michiru even speaks in the first person at certain points, and there's no indication he's Adi. I also don't see how or why Adi Shankar would work for Konami Digital Entertainment Co Ltd, because that's specifically the Japanese division. The North American arm of Konami is called Konami Digital Entertainment Inc.
  • Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.: Japanese division, established on 31 March 2003.
  • Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc.: North American division, established on 13 October 2003.
  • Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH: European division, established on 1 April 2003.
  • Konami Digital Entertainment Limited: Hong Kong division
So this producer works at the Japanese division of Konami. That can't be Adi Shankar. He's Indian-American and doesn't speak Japanese.

Last edited:
Maybe if you read the blog like I told you, you’d be aware of it.
Maybe if you didn't make a blog the size of the goddamn Declaration of Independence, people would read the blog. You can't sit me down in front of a 3000+ word blog and expect me not to skim for the important stuff.

@Deagonx It says special discussion 1 because the first discussion is about Michiru Yamane, the series composer. No one else is being interviewed in this specific discussion. Adi Shankar is the second person being interviewed and he still works for Konami, his ethnicity means Jack shit when he’s stated to work with Konami and has a high status by the developers. Plus Igarashi himself says that the games that aren’t canon are separate worlds with the same world view. Nothing about what Adi says is contradicted when the games themselves back him up.

@Smashkabab not my fault you didn’t read the blog, if you couldn’t be bothered to read the blog then don’t make a QnA thread about the series.

It says special discussion 1 because the first discussion is about Michiru Yamane, the series composer. No one else is being interviewed in this specific discussion.
Right, it's not about who is being interviewed, it is who is conducting the interview. Who is asking Michiru these questions? The series producer, who is not Adi Shankar.
Adi Shankar is the second person being interviewed and he still works for Konami, his ethnicity means Jack shit when he’s stated to work with Konami and has a high status by the developers
Dude, you aren't listening to me. Konami has many branches and divisions. Konami Digital Entertainment Co. Ltd is specifically the Japanese division. He has no reason to be a producer at the Japanese division. Can you find literally any source referring to Adi as a video game producer? I looked, I found nothing. He's not named in this blurb, he is introduced later on with a different title. It's not referring to Adi. But I'm more than happy to change my mind if you can find something that actually refers to Adi this way, because if what you're saying is true, surely the sole source for this wouldn't be a 2019 guidebook that mentions some unnamed person as the series producer. But I suspect you won't, because bottom to top this premise doesn't make sense.

Plus Igarashi himself says that the games that aren’t canon are separate worlds with the same world view. Nothing about what Adi says is contradicted when the games themselves back him up.
That doesn't make it a connected multiverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back