• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why do the Warframes lack souls? (Story Spoilers)

So I understand the Warframes being assumed as soulless by virtue of being robots and all that, except for the fact that they're not.

They aren't robots, they were originally human but have been merged with a unique strain of the Infestation (the same one that Helminth belongs to) there's nothing explicitly robotic about them, apart from the Infestation's tendency to replicate machinery to create biotechnology, and being partially comprised of nanomachines.

Essentially, they're as much of a machine as a xenomorph. Not actually mechanical, but just appearing so.

that only apllies to the first batch of warframes made the umbras other warframes dont need humans to make. so yea i agree that umbra have a soul(heck the thing has a mind of its own and moves by itself) the normal warframe dont cus no human was used to maike them

@Elizhaa This isn't really about opinion or votes. They do not have souls. They are literally things you find in parts and build in a foundry. After infestation they become literal objects.

Firephoenixearl said:
@Elizhaa This isn't really about opinion or votes. They do not have souls. They are literally things you find in parts and build in a foundry. After infestation they become literal objects.
I see evidence of full Cyborgization from infestation virus. It would be strecth, in my view, to say a virus can removed the soul though. Perhaps, this case need a new thread for a proper conclusion/

Cyborgization is not the case. As cyborgs typically are alive, whereas the warframes do not live at all. They are lifeless objects, and objects don't have a soul.

Inaros at the very least was very much an independent, living figure before being defeated and scattered across the solar system. As was Mirage, if memory serves correctly. I think the fact that the frames are broken into parts is more evidence of type 3 immortality than soullessness

It's not just being broken. It's the fact that they can literally be built the same way you build a weapon. I mean for the love of god they need a freaking blueprint. xD

Also some warframes have lore, however all warframes turn incapable of moving without tenno energy in the second dream quest. (Likely DE just f-ed up and created contradiction like they always do).

But I want my cool friendship story between the warframe and the operator

I'll have to go further into the lore I guess, because having the warframes be soulless nothings seems to be in complete defiance of the themes they're going for with the operators

Might be off topic but it turns out transference might actually be physical post second dream since if you use transference on the ship you can notice that your body physically moves after the visual effects are done and then when you use it again your body returns

Well from the most recent lores and by that i mean the quotes, it is made painfully clear that the warframes "are not alive". Hunhow even states "warframes, lifeless puppets dancing on tenno strings". And recent lore precedes old codex lore, so unless DE changes their mind again, they will reimain souless. Old lore won't rly beat recent lore cus of the sole reason of "being old which means could just be outdated ideas from the developers". Unless DE either says "we take it all back they are alive", or find a way to make them alive and not alive at the same time (somehow).

They could be a weird sci-fi version of undeath.

And it was pretty recent lore that discussed the origins of transference being rooted in empathy between the abandoned Operators and tortured Warframes to create the Tenno.

Sigurd Snake in The Eye said:
Being not alive doesn't mean you lack a soul.
In this context it does, because we're not discussing immortality here, we're literally discussing between being a being and being an object. Objects by nature lack souls. Do not confuse this with types of type 5 or 7 immortality cases.

@Jordan

That was only the case with Umbra who has a soul.

Paul Frank said:
Might be off topic but it turns out transference might actually be physical post second dream since if you use transference on the ship you can notice that your body physically moves after the visual effects are done and then when you use it again your body returns
Nah, it would have been pretty easy for the queens or the other enemies like sentients to end the tenno if it were physical possession.

Jordanbairdcreaturemaster97 said:
And it was pretty recent lore that discussed the origins of transference being rooted in empathy between the abandoned Operators and tortured Warframes to create the Tenno.
That would only be for Umbra.Most warframes don't have a sad past or have history of being tortured and Transferance is shown to work on literal robots so that doesn't make sense

"We had created monsters we couldn't control. We drugged them, tortured them, eviscerated them... we brutalized their minds... but it did not work. Until they came. And it was not their force of will - not their void devilry - not their alien darkness... it was something else. It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... and take away its pain."

So this quote isn't about the frames in general?

I assumed Hunhow's "lifeless puppet" quote was just a conjecture (he wouldn't know about the exact nature of them beyond what he had observed) that was immediately proven wrong when it snapped him in half to protect the Operator

I would suggest you do not underestimate Hunhow my man. His knowledge is far greater than you think. As the oldest sentient he is obviously knowledgeable on some of the secrets of the warframes. He is Natah's father after all.

Back