• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What Makes a Verse "Official?" 2: The Versening

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I made a thread a while back asking what it would take to qualify as an official verse on this site. These were some of the things brought up:

1. Not being a fanfic of an existing verse, nor a discontinued fiction and having some amount of fans.

2. Being trademarked.

3. An online verse with a regulation/canon (e.g. manga webcomics)

However, I have a few more questions:

1. If I was doing a light novel, per se, and put it on a site like Wattpad, would that still be able to qualify as canon?

2. If I was working on a series that would have its episodes posted on YouTube, could that still qualify as canon? (An example of that would be something like "Super Hero Clock" by JessTheDragoon.)

3. As an author, could I still be able to give input on the tiering of the characters, as well as having access to profiles of the characters I have created for that verse?

That's about it. Hopefully it's nothing too complex to answer.

1) I don't think so. It needs to be copyrighted, published, have a coherent story, and be reasonably popular. Otherwise it would likely be better suited for FCOC.

2) It depends on if it is popular and coherent enough. Just a few hundred views would obviously not be enough, but millions would probably be sufficient.

3) It would likely be inappropriate if you write the profiles yourself. Wikipedia has rules against that sort of interference.

1. With Wattpad, you can make the copyright of the story be "All Rights Reserved," "Public Domain," "Creative Commons," etc. That's why I wondered.

2. By coherent, you mean in regards of it's canon?

3. Thanks for the information on that. Guess I could just let people know if they were to have any questions, they could ask me?

Where does Order Of The Stick lie among this

Antvasima said:
1) I don't think so. It needs to be copyrighted, published, have a coherent story, and be reasonably popular. Otherwise it would likely be better suited for FCOC.
So some Creepypasta stories falls under that. Many stories are copyrighted (Or under similar rights as what @Maverick is speaking of) and even though they are on the interenet the follow a strict canon (Only going by the orginal author's works. Also stories not created by the OG author is fanfic, as it is in every verse). This would throw out characters like Sonic.EXE, BEN, Herobrine, RED, etc due to being FC which I am fine with. But characters that aren't trash would be fine.

Even made some possible rules going by some of this.
* 1.No fan characters: Profiles cannot be based on licensed characters, verses or companies. These would be considered fan-fiction characters. (Example: Sonic.EXE=Sonic the Hedgehog, Herobrine=Minecraft, Photo Negative Mickey=Disney/Mickey Mouse)
* 2.Original Author's Canon: Profiles only use the original story for feats, and other media created by the original author to avoid considering fan created works as canon.
* 3.Popularity: Profiles ONLY cover notable and popular creepypasta characters. This is to avoid the addition of OCs or FCs. (Those can, however, be added to the FC/OC wiki)

Have WIPs for this and more on my blog: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/U...reepypasta_Rules,_Profiles,_and_Miscellaneous

So what about Order of The Stick though, all things considered? 16 years strong, after all :eek:

MaverickIsTheHype said:
1. With Wattpad, you can make the copyright of the story be "All Rights Reserved," "Public Domain," "Creative Commons," etc. That's why I wondered.

2. By coherent, you mean in regards of it's canon?

3. Thanks for the information on that. Guess I could just let people know if they were to have any questions, they could ask me?
1) Okay.

2) I mean that there must actually be a coherent storyline for something to count as fiction with fully fleshed out characters.

2) I suppose so.

Anyway, I answered the original questions, we have had previous discussions regarding this topic, and I do not have the time and energy to continue, so I would prefer to close this thread before it starts to derail considerably further.

Antvasima said:
Anyway, I answered the original questions, we have had previous discussions regarding this topic, and I do not have the time and energy to continue, so I would prefer to close this thread before it starts to derail considerably further.
Could you link me to those threads?

MaverickIsTheHype said:
Could you link me to those threads?
Sorry, but I am not good at finding old discussions, especially not ones without intuitively recognisable topics at the bottom.

The Tetromino King said:
Vsbw Made them popular. They originally aren't.
Not true, and I am talking about that we do not allow extremely obscure and unprofessional franchises without a coherent story, and that are basically bad fan creations. That is all.

Andytrenom said:
Not being popular won't disqualify a verse. Being so unknown that only a handful of people will show interest in them and practically no one can be expected to help out with their ratings will.
Cough

But given what I said about copyright and Wattpad, would I still need to find an alternative route to publishing it even though it allows for "All Rights Reserved" copyright for stories?

There should preferably be a sizeable audience for such stories, and they cannot be too amateurish.

There are, the issue is that supporters of the verses just aren't vocal or aren't on this wiki.

For things like minor characters in mythology or urban legends (That are on this sight) they are only considered fine because we have a mythology verse all ready created. For something like Creepypasta or online stories, due to the media they are on (Instead of a webseries or a web comic) people dismiss it off the bat. Many online stories (That are well done and highly regarded) are of comparable (or superior) value as such myths, but due to the media they are on they are just thrown out. Stories like 1999, The Puppetmaster's Regime, The Russian Sleep etc are well done stories but due to being on the web they are considered trash and ignored.

Well, I am obviously not able to make such regulation changes on my own, as I am tired, busy, and need thorough staff input.

I know and I also know it will likely not change, similarly to profiles stated to needing to be deleted but never are like Myth, Fables and Fables, and the Slenderverse

Well, we are not going to lessen our standards in any case, as it would open up for lots of extremely obscure and low quality additions, so I think that it seems best to close this thread.

MaverickIsTheHype said:
But given what I said about copyright and Wattpad, would I still need to find an alternative route to publishing it even though it allows for "All Rights Reserved" copyright for stories?
Did we answer this question properly? If so, then it can be closed.

Andytrenom said:
MaverickIsTheHype said:
Did we answer this question properly? If so, then it can be closed.
I didn't really get a proper answer to that question, no.

I think that stories published on Wattpad are generally considered as fan works, so they are usually better suited for the FCOC wiki.

Antvasima said:
I think that stories published on Wattpad are generally considered as fan works, so they are usually better suited for the FCOC wiki.
OK, I understand. So I should find another outlet for things such as light novels, webcomics, manga or whatever I decide to do for my verse. The thread can be closed now, I think all of my questions were answered thoroughly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back