• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

what gives superman post crisis resistance to reality warping

a simple question. reality warping consists of a whole plethora of abilities. shouldn't he be resistant to only those specific abiities which he has actually resisted, rather than being resistant to the whole entirety of reality warping?

I believe his resistance comes from the instances he resisted Mr Mxzyptlk. I don't have any scans readily available, but I do think exaples should be added to the page.

can you go into more detail as to what certain abilities he actually has shown resistance to against mxy?

Off the top of my head? No. I'd have to go back and read the stories for full context and upload scans. I vaguely recall mixy attempting to atomize him and rewriting the Universe only to have Superman remain unaffected (not for lack of trying) but it's been a while and I'd rather dig them up and upload them when I can. Most recent example of things comes from Reborn, where Mxy and a lot of stuff from that might qualify, but the story is weird and I'm not sure what all readily would count.

Your best bet would be to leave a message on Matt's wall and ask him to comment here, as he knows a lot more than I do off the top of his head and is better at explaining at what is happening in scans.

I thimk that it is due to resisting the effects of Dominus creating alternative realities.

Well, from what I remember, the Lord of Order Dominus trapped Superman by rewriting reality into several alternative versions, but Superman broke free from it.

okay i still think there should be a link to the feat on his profile especially for such a big resistance.

i also kind of asked matthew schroeder for input yesterday but he hasn't replied as of now.

Well, you can link him to this thread, if you wish.

I'm unsure. I think that it is due to some instances of characters failing to Reality Warp Superman, but that could be better described as Matter Manipulation, or Spatial Manipulation, or Soul Manipulation depending on the instance.

@Matt

Mxyz was ridiculously pissed in this scene and was seriously planning on hurting Superman, so I don't know about that.

To be fair, a super pissed Mxy is still just trying to **** with Superman. Doesn't mean that his reality warping isn't something to scoff at... but i doubt he'd be having that much trouble hurting Superman if he was going all out.

Unless Superman really is getting help from something beyond.

Mxy's almost always ******* around. Even his supposed weaknesses are just self imposed and he's faking it whenever Superman "defeats him". Still the fact that he was able to resist some of Mxy's super casual powers is insanely impressive and should be noted on the profile.

It should probably be clarified that he has resisted both Dominus and a casual Mxyzptlk, yes.

I don't recall any other instances of resisting Mxyzptlk than the latter's most recent appearance though.

Matthew Schroeder said:
I'm unsure. I think that it is due to some instances of characters failing to Reality Warp Superman, but that could be better described as Matter Manipulation, or Spatial Manipulation, or Soul Manipulation depending on the instance.
that's what my whole point was actually

Yeah, honestly resisting the "casual" nature of a 5th Dimensional being (not only that, a 5th Dimensional being strong enough to destroy his entire dimension and survive attacks from a 10th dimensional being) is still a ridiculous amount of hax even on a bad day.

Plus, with someone like Dominus actively trying to kill Superman, and his overall bullshit levels of hax, his resistance is pretty clear cut.

The 10-dimensional Ultimator was just a part of a story that Mxyzptlk told, and I do not think that World's Funnest is a part of continuity.

Dominus and the latest encounter with Mxyzptlk are most likely legitimate in terms of resistance though.

Reminds me, I need to make Dominus's page. He's an OP fellow.

His mind hax is also the most insane I've ever seen.

Jared1111 said:
To be fair, a super pissed Mxy is still just trying to **** with Superman. Doesn't mean that his reality warping isn't something to scoff at... but i doubt he'd be having that much trouble hurting Superman if he was going all out.
Unless Superman really is getting help from something beyond.
  • cough writers cough

There is an issue where Superman ends up inside the Source, and instead of fanding into nothingness and becoming one with it, his will is so strong that he maintains his individuality and manages to break free.

Superman goes through some pretty ridiculous stuf.

The comicbook within which the Ultimator appeared clearly showed that it was just a story within a story, so I trust that over a confused guidebook writer. In addition, the story was filled with parody characters that would not make sense othervise.

Hey, the JBW profile for superman, as well as being silly, lists a few resistances he doesn't have on this profile.

Is there a reason we are ignoring those showings of resistance?

Speaking of which, we should probably delete the Ultimator page in order to avoid confusion.

@Monarch

I know at least some of the mind manipulation resistances are taken out of context, but I used every scan possible relating to the scene, so it should hopefully be sufficient to determine which ones are or are not.

I know he has a lot of feats of resisting matter manipulation though.

Superman is the only character i know whose JBW page could legitamately be used as a way to boost his real page. Dude's got so many ******* outliers that you start to wonder where the legitimate feats begin and the outlandish ones end.

... Well, besides the Big Rig.

Well, the ones from affecting characters technically far out of his league, such as Dominus, should obviously not be counted any more than Cyclops harming Dormammu.

This is fairly standard plot-induced stupidity for western superhero comics, to the extent that they practically run on it.

I mean, when you have over 30 years of continuity constantly being shifted back and forth from writer to writer, editor to editor, CEO to CEO, eventually you just run into shit that doesn't make sense.

As long as the stories are good, i guess it doesn't matter.

Over 55 years of continuity in the Marvel case.

Back