• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Were the New Gods affected by the New 52 retcon? (DC Comics)

Obviously the New Gods were not affected by the COIE because they exist on a higher plane of reality than the rest of the Multiverse. (This is confirmed when they reference pre COIE events and such happening) but Flashpoint apparently did retcon them? Its said by the writors in DC that there may be differnet versions of everyon in a multiverse but there are always only one set of New Gods ( no retcons) yet after Flashpoint Darkseid is inexplicably back to life after his death in Final Crisis, and his entire backstory is changed, him and Highfather have been retconned to being distant brothers, it apparently even retconned a being as high up on the scale as the Anti-Monitor apparently?. But from what I'm told Darkseid and a few other New Gods still have memories of pre Flashpoint stuff (but I haven't seen any scans of these)

In Multiversity, Morrison also introduced the concept that the New Gods that we've seen in n52 are just a kind of afterimage left behind by the classical New Gods, who exist in a higher dimension. So maybe they aren't affected? But no one else has followed up on that.

I haven't read Rebirth yet so I'm not sure if there's an explanation for this somewhere or not. Was there ever an explanation for any of this in Rebirth or some part of Darkseid War that I missed?

I think that you summarised it quite well. They were initially retconned with a horribly lacklustre and disrespectful new backstory, but Grant Morrison may or may not have fixed that with Multiversity.

Yea, there was a soft retcon initially with New God origins regarding Darkseid and Highfather. Multiversity as you said shows us the true forms of the classic New Gods that exist in the foruth world and true Darkseid still being alive but locked outside reality. This proves they weren't affected by the retcon and that the n52 incarnations including the new genisis and apokolips we see are eminations of their true selves and worlds. This kinda allows for the conflict of potrayals we see throughout the n52.

Regarding the n52 versions New Gods like Metron still have memories of CoIE and such which we see in Darkseid War and they were unaffected by Convergence events. So their avatars still retain the fact that New Gods should be retcon resistent. Multiversity has a follow up story called Multiplicity in Rebirth but I dont belive they formally address the New God lore in that arc. It most likely will be resolved after Doomsday Clock when we figure out how the multiuniverse was changed after Flashpoint and how the years were lost.

Has Multiplicity been released already, and if not, when will it be released?

Antvasima said:
Has Multiplicity been released already, and if not, when will it be released?
It's out already. Its a mini arc in Superman Rebirth (Superman #14-#17)

Antvasima said:
Okay. Was it any good?
It was pretty decent, one of the better arcs of the run and it mainly focuses on the Superman iterations. Its not on Multiversity level but it does revisit some of the plotlines.

Back