• The VS Battles wiki celebrates its 10 year anniversary!

Please click here for further information.
  • An important notice regarding the shutdown of our old forum, the wiki's conversion to the UCP system, and other issues.

Please click here for further information.

Welcome to the new forum!

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

As the title says, a big welcome to the new forum. I hope that you enjoy your stay here.

As you can see, we have three different sub-forum sections that are supposed to be managed by the staff members for each corresponding wiki, so we do not interfere with each other in a problematic manner.

If you have relevant feedback, constructive input, or problems with the new forum, please mention them in the thread below, so we might be able to figure out solutions.

Here is a page that explains how you use code in XenForo, to insert external images or otherwise:

welcome.jpg

Last edited:

AKM sama

Also Kinda Misunderstood
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
It's not the same without a big welcome image ovo

Welcome guys and gals. Experience and enjoy the new forum to the fullest. I know most of you like the night mode better, so the option for that should be available at the bottom of the page.

Be sure to explore and check out all the other features and tell us about their positives and negatives.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Yes. Let's hope that all of this works out as well as possible.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Here are a list of problems during the conversion that we have discovered, but were unfortunately not able to correct:

Wiki links that end in "n" are usually written the wrong way. For example, "conversation" would turn to "conversatio".

XenForo does not allow usernames that begin with numbers, so members whose usernames start with a number have automatically been given "fandom_" in the beginning of them.

They can ask high-ranking staff members to change their usernames manually later.

Characters that are in Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Russian, or that use strikethroughs, have unfortunately been converted into gibberish.

The XenForo system does not allow topics/tags with unusual characters, such as Pokémon, so they should hopefully have been converted to regular characters:

However, the new forum has a much better search function than the old one, including for tags/topics, so it should be possible to find all of the archived discussion threads:

Members that have used several accounts with the same email adresses will have had their accounts automatically merged, and recurrently not get their currently used usernames. They can also ask high-ranking staff members to correct their usernames manually later.

Given that the old message wall discussion threads were not migrated to the new forum, but they used the same URL structures as the old forum discussion threads, the links to them from the new forum currently do not work, but you can still find them by manually adjusting the links in the following manner:

https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/3956694 ->
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Thread:3956694

Members with multiple accounts assigned to the same email addresses are supposed to automatically get the emails connected to the account with the highest number of edits. If there are problems resulting from this, our site manager should be able to help you out.

In addition, given that this is a different site than the wiki itself, we will not be able to use short links to our character profile pages or members anymore. We will have to use the full URL links instead.

Last edited:

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Some further information:

Unfortunately XenForo does not allow us to add titles to message wall discussion threads here, which will make it extremely hard to find older such threads when they start to stack up over the years, and turn into hundreds or thousands for single message walls.

As such, it may be best if we continue to use the wiki message walls for more important discussions between just a few members.

We will soon start a migration information thread in the wiki/old forum, and link to it in highlights and via a popup message to invite all of the regular members to this forum, and explain to them how to log in to their accounts.

After we have done this, we will need help from most of our administrators and discussion moderators with systematically closing all ongoing discussion threads (except the ones for the rule violation reports and backup project mentioned below) with a link to the migration information thread.

In conjunction, we also need to finish our discussion threads backup project, so we can start a highlighted and pinned discussion thread here that links to all of them, organised by topic. Help from our staff and other experienced members would be extremely appreciated.

Later on, when we allow new content revision threads here again, these threads should link to the backed up discussions in the beginning, to use as references when it is relevant to do so.

We will not allow new content revisions to be started here immediately, as that would be far too chaotic. First our members, including me, have to get used to being here, and then we have to initiate the project for updating all of the links to versus discussion threads in our character profile pages so they lead here instead. NoGround will likely give all of the volunteers for this project a temporary Bot account status in the wiki, so they can focus on helping out without spamming the recent changes page for those of us that patrol it.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Also, as I mentioned above a few people who have used different accounts with the same email address might get the wrong usernames connected to them.

Such problems can hopefully be fixed by our Community Hired system administrator, if you ask me to contact him for you.

In addition, members who signed up to the wiki after early May 11 will not have an already existing account to sign up to here, but they can apply for membership here in this forum, after which the accounts can be accepted or rejected by our wiki administrators and bureaucrats.

As such, these wiki members will have to inform our administrators and bureaucrats about their account usernames here, so we know that they are legitimate before we accept them. In order to avoid that this forum turns unmanageable, and to avoid troll raids and spam, we should only allow our wiki members to sign up here, and only the ones that do not seem very suspicious.

Meaning that we will come to need ongoing help with this task over the years from all administrators in the wiki.

Last edited:

DontTalkDT

A Fossil at This Point
VS Battles
Administrator
Consultant
Happy to see the new forums running.
Once CRT's are allowed again let's try not to flood everything.

KingPin0422

Derp Idol
Joke Battles
Retired
Okay, this is epic. After who knows how many months, the forum move is drawing to its conclusion. Let's hope for the best when we start allowing regular members to come in.

DMUA

VS Battles
Calculation Group
If you're trying to link to a Wikia image, it's not going to work. Discord is a good replacement, though.

You can also use Imgur but that looks kinda worse so eh

KingPin0422

Derp Idol
Joke Battles
Retired
All these people here with thousands of posts (sometimes tens of thousands) and I'm here with roughly 3/4 of a thousand posts lol

Ah, well. I just need to be more active.

KingPin0422

Derp Idol
Joke Battles
Retired
Wait, how do I set my timezone here? Or is that not possible? I'm asking because it's apparently set to GMT on my end.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

Welcome to the new forum everybody. Please thoroughly read the information that I posted above, and visit the settings instruction thread that is highlighted in the front page as well, and carefully follow what it says in order to get proper notifications, and not be spammed with email messages.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Also, it is not allowed for non-bureaucrats to upload images directly to this forum, in order to avoid copyright problems later on, but linking to wiki-hosted images should work as far as I am aware, so if there are problems with this, please tell me here, and I will ask our Community Hired system manager to fix it.

In addition, we will need your help with organising the final steps of the forum move after we create a highlighted migration thread for the rest of our community, as I explained above, and it is extremely important that you do not tell them how to access this forum yet, so the process does not erupt into unmanageable chaos.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Also, it is best if you all avoid all offensive or controversial username description texts. They quickly turn annoying for other members.

Dargoo_Faust

Blue Doggo Enthusiast
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Human Resources
Also, it is best if you all avoid all offensive or controversial username description texts. They quickly turn annoying for other members.

I also think animated GIF and large image signatures should be discouraged or prohibited.

A large amount of GIFs in sigs would increase page loading time on some threads, while large GIFS and images can be very intrusive. Yeah, you can turn off signatures, but it's a bit much to ask that many of our users do this to be able to browse through threads without obstruction.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Yes, welcome everybody.

There have been problems for a few staff members to log in, and another glitch with new posts to old threads appearing above older replies, but I have informed our system administrator about these issues, so they should hopefully be solved relatively soon.

I agree with Dargoo about that large signatures should also be avoided. I wanted to not include the option to have signatures at all, but they are a part of XenForo that cannot be completely removed, so they have to be disabled on an individual basis.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
I also informed our system administrator about Sir_Ovens' problems with linking to external images. That should hopefully be corrected soon as well.

Starter_Pack

VS Battles
Content Moderator
I am personally fine with signatures. Don't get me wrong, I get the problems involved with having either distracting signatures or those that are too big to handle. But they do offer another layer of personality to our presences on the forum, and they can be a fun way to identify a person just by scrolling along. And in the cases of the latter problem I mentioned, I would imagine we would root those ones out anyway, and that most people would have the common sense to use reasonable images for their signatures.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Dante and Crabwhale, you should preferably fix this problem.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Thank you for helping out. Perhaps only wiki administrators and higher are able to post gif animations?

AKM sama

Also Kinda Misunderstood
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
Dante and Crabwhale, you should preferably fix this problem.
It seems that option is only available to wiki admins and above. I'll repromote Crabwhale for a bit so he can change it.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Yes. I agree with AKM. Big thanks to Community Hired for all of their help.

Sultan has worked extremely hard to make this forum as good as possible for us.

He already seems to have fixed two of the problems that I mentioned above btw.

The_Wright_Way

VS Battles
Discussion Moderator
I am present and accounted for. Still learning my way around. Do we have character profiles for this site yet, or are we still using the old forum's?

Colonel_Krukov

VS Battles
FC/OC Battles
Discussion Moderator
Content Moderator
Image Helper
I'm not sure whether it's possible to upload from local drive yet but hey, looks pretty good.

Not going to enjoy putting all the archived threads on here

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
So when are we expecting to invite normal users?
I am not sure yet. We need to wait and see if there are any more problems for the staff first, and also make sure that the staff members have finished properly adjusting their user settings to not get spammed with email messages, and are able to handle themselves well enough to help the regular members reasonably well when they come here.

This includes learning how to properly evaluate and accept or reject new accounts that apply for membership here, depending on whether or not they are wiki members who signed up after May 11, don't have previously existing accounts here, and have informed an administrator or bureaucrat about it. Mind you, I am not sure how to do this yet either.

Last edited:

Wokistan

Bioluminescent African American Working At The CIA
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Human Resources
Oh yeah, something else to note: Don't comment on archived threads rn, someone did and a bunch of others got email notifications which reveals the new forum earlier than wanted.

Theglassman12

VS Battles
Discussion Moderator
http://Sooo does this site have something in the wiki where if you click on the specific tabs for whatever characters/verse is you’re looking at, it’ll show you all the threads related to said pages?

Dargoo_Faust

Blue Doggo Enthusiast
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Human Resources
Don't comment on archived threads rn, someone did and a bunch of others got email notifications which reveals the new forum earlier than wanted.

Going to take a wild guess and say this was DMUA commenting on an FC/OC thread.

DarkDragonMedeus

The Sword and Shield of AKM Sama
VS Battles
Administrator
Going to take time getting used to threads being multiple pages long, or not having the ability to collapse posts. Also not sure how short links work or how to alter image sizes.

Wokistan

VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Human Resources
"or not having the ability to collapse posts. "

Did not even know you could do that on the other site.

Wokistan

VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Human Resources
You can spoiler stuff here though. Over on vbw people would just use a collapsible and title it spoilers or something

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
We don't seem to have the option to do blogs here, is that going to come eventually and the blogs we made are going to be automatically saved?
Well, I have brought up the issue with Community Hired since long ago, so I hope that we will be able to move our blogs here eventually, but it depends on whether or not Fandom thinks that it is important enough to cooperate with us in this regard.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
http://Sooo does this site have something in the wiki where if you click on the specific tabs for whatever characters/verse is you’re looking at, it’ll show you all the threads related to said pages?
Unfortunately no. That would require Fandom itself to set up some sort of connection between the sites. It is a good idea to bring up to NoGround though.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
@AKM sama @Promestein @Ryukama @Copetan

XenForo has no standard options for selected images. When highlighting important threads, we have to write down and use the direct image URLs instead:

1920x1080 px are the correct image proportions if you wish to upload an image to use in a highlight thread on your own, but preferably usually stick to the standard images that we designed depending on which wiki forum that they are relevant for. It simplifies things for our members.

Last edited:

Copetan

Your local Minecraft addict
Joke Battles
Administrator
Bureaucrat
XenForo has no standard options for selected images. When highlighting important threads...

Thank you it took me way too long to understand what you were implying lol, but I'm not sure how to highlight threads, I can't find the option anywhere

Mr._Bambu

Narcissistic Cannibal
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Didn't even see this, my b. Will probably take awhile for me to get used to this place. Hiya all.

Antvasima

VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Thank you it took me way too long to understand what you were implying lol, but I'm not sure how to highlight threads, I can't find the option anywhere
As a bureaucrat, you should have the ability to use "featured" at the top of threads, and select an existing image for that purpose.

Only use it if the thread is very important though.

Theglassman12

VS Battles
Discussion Moderator
@Antvasima Hey, so I'm trying to rework one of my CRT's to the coding on this forum, and I'm looking at the preview. there's a part on my CRT that's not showing up for some reason despite the text being right there. Is that a glitch or is it deleting my text out of left field?