• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Azathoth_the_Abyssal_Idiot

VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
So this is something I've been thinking about doing for a while, but I thought I should finally just get around to it. Anyway, Space Marines are currently listed as Hypersonic+, likely higher due to their capacity to do things such as react in microseconds and casually slap hypersonic projectiles out of the air only inches from their face. However, these are all things done by completely nameless, basic marines. Looking through some old books and respect threads, I've found repeated instances of much higher speed showings from simply better trained (though keep in mind, not even CLOSE to most more notable named characters) marines. I'm not 100% sure what nanosecond reaction speeds count as, but here are just a few examples of them.

This is an example of a marine analysing numerous advanced tactical protocols within nanoseconds. Keep in mind these are all incredibly advanced maneuvers which regular humans would need quite a bit of extra time to mull over and process.

"'I have little idea,' Cestus confessed, staring into the viewscreen, analysing and appraising tactical protocols in nanoseconds as he considered Kaminska's question."

Next, we have a marine seeing an unrecognized foe and proceeding to play out in his head exactly where and when to shoot, the consequences of said shot, and dealing with said consequences before drawing his bolter. This entire process? It lasts less than a single nanosecond.

"The Word Bearer is almost unrecognisable. For a nanosecond, the figure registers to Luciel as an unknown, a threat. Transhuman responses are already there, unbidden. Adrenaline spikes to heighten an already formidable reaction time. Muscle remembers. Luciel wears his boltgun, an oiled black pit bull of a weapon, in his thigh holster. He can draw, aim and fire in less than a second. The range is six metres, the target unobstructed. There is no chance of missing. Maximus plate, frontally augmented, might stop a mass-reactive shell, so Luciel will fire two and aim for the visor slits. The airgate skin-sleeve is self-repairing, and will survive las-fire damage, but a bolter shot will shred it open, so Luciel also braces for the explosive decompression of a ricochet or a miss-hit. At a simple, subconscious neural urge, boot-sole electromagnets charge to clamp onto the deck plates. He can make a clean kill headshot in less than a second and a half, two rounds for kill insurance, and probably protect the atmospheric integrity of the airgate. All this, all this decided, unbidden, instinctive, in less than a nanosecond."

As a bit extra, this makes sense, considering this is a marine watching a hypersonic projectile move through the air as if in slow motion, just to put it in context.

"Gabriel squeezed a couple of shells out of his bolter and watched the little contrails that poured out behind them, as though in slow motion. They spun through the thick, gaseous air and then slipped through a gap in the lava flow, punching into the kaleidoscope of reflections beyond."

Of course, I'd need to know the exact ballpark of this speed, but if you're wondering who it scales to, then I can answer that in only a few words; pretty much everyone. Almost all named characters would benefit from this, as a vast majority of them are either as fast as or far faster than highly trained marines. For example, Kharn the Betrayer. Remember those marines in the last examples? This is Kharn butchering three of those guys before they can properly react.

"The three Dark Angels did not know what was happening until it was too late. Pinned down by Black Legionnaires in defensible positions further along the corridor, they had taken to alcoves and doorways, slowly advancing from cover point to cover point, exchanging fire as they went. The roar of a chainaxe from behind them drew their attention. Two halves of the green-armoured figure fell wetly to the ground, his bolter discharging wildly in a spasming hand. One of the stray shots struck Khârn in the hip but he did not falter, swinging Gorechild around again and liberating another Dark Angel of his head. The third Space Marine, unhelmeted and in the livery of a sergeant, pulled his chainsword free of its scabbard. Khârn reacted quickest, severing the Dark Angel's arm at the wrist, sending both fist and sword tumbling to the deck. His next swipe tore up through the stricken Space Marine's torso, opening him up to the chest before one final blow claimed his head.Khârn was already advancing along the corridor before the corpse hit the floor."

Finally, lets put the speed of a Primarch in context. This is Angro, Primarch of the World Eaters, blitzing Kharn before the marine can properly react. It's also important to mention that Angron is relatively calm (ya know...by Angron standards) and isn't fully serious.

"He exhaled, and took another step into the room. For a moment he thought he could hear movement, the padding of feet, a rush of air that felt like breath before everything splintered and whirled and he crashed into a pillared wall to land hard on his back, gasping in pain. By the time the gasp had entered his lungs, reflex had taken over and he was up on one knee, turning to put his broken right arm and shoulder to the wall and holding and tensing his left arm ready to ward as he scanned for motion, eyes sifting the gloom, pushing into infrared to see the hulking shape hurtling forwards to fill his vision— Will overrode reflex, and with an iron effort Kh├órn forced his hand towards his side. Then he was skittering on his back across the floor, breath hammered out of his lungs and cracked clavicle flaring. Unthinkingly he drew his knees to his chest, turned the skidding tumble into a backwards roll. Training, determination and Astartes neural wiring let him shunt the pain to the back of his mind as he came up into a combat crouch. Then will took over again, and Kh├órn made himself stand upright and placed his hands by his sides. He looked back and found the spot where he had rested a moment ago, but the floor was empty, no shape or heat-trace. Was this how it was for the others? He caught himself wondering, and stopped thinking about it when the lapse in concentration started him swaying on the spot. He focused, half-heard movement closing in behind him and opened his mouth to speak, and a moment later was jerked up from the floor, the back of his head and neck in the grip of a hand that felt bigger and harder than a Dreadnaught's rubble-claw. Will, will over instinct: Kh├órn stopped himself from kicking backwards, trying to wrench free."

Thoughts on this speed upgrade? Help with an estimate on it for marines?

Note: This does not scale to relative fodder such as normal space marines. It only applies to far more trained, older, and advanced marines, and most named characters in the setting.

For a very rough estimate, this is easily FTL.

I support this change, especially if we can solidify it more.

yes stuff in the nanosecond single digit range I believe is At least very much High end relativistic+ to FTL.

I believe that the calculation about Magnus' speed in my blog is very relevant to this. People should read it in my blog to see what kind of speeds the Primarchs are capable of moving at.

Here we go.

Also, Warmaster Horus was able to match the God Emperor in combat (albeit, God Emperor was holding back). Seeing that the GEoM's combat speed is MFTL+, this can easily scale to the Primarchs having at least FTL+ speeds, or even higher. This would also scale the other Primarchs to an extent as well considering all of them should have relatively comparable AP. Even though Horus was probably the strongest Primarch out of the rest (you can argue for MFTL+ speed for this guy), I still think that the other Primarchs aren't that much weaker than Horus.

Anyways, very impressive work Azzy. Thanks a lot for this.

Edit: Okay, with regards to the Kharn feat, if those marines are perceiving bullets in slow motion as you stated:

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
"Gabriel squeezed a couple of shells out of his bolter and watched the little contrails that poured out behind them, as though in slow motion.
This would mean that Kharn's speed is much faster than what the space marines are able to react to, which is in the nanosecond range. This would boost Kharn's speed higher than FTL.

@Crazystarf

Horus was definitely the strongest Primarch at that point, as he had the backing of all four Chaos Gods and absolutely made fodder out of Sanguinius, who only managed to cut his armor.

Not a problem, by the way.

i am currently involved in 2 other threads so be easy when i dont get it, i briefly looked over the long text but from what i got its about the upgrade for speed for regular space marines?

because in the quotes i see several heroes or remarkebale marines like kharn, lucifer the eternal, gabriel etc... i do not think any of this should be scaled to your average run-of-the-mill marine

though i have not looked too much into the thing in general or its legitimacy

edit: @crazy for your calc

"To Azathoth: Is there a calculation on the speed of the bullet? I was wondering what the speed of the bullet is (it is said to be hypersonic) in order to get a proper reading on their speed.

To LordAizen: Is there proof that the Primarchs' are able to reach in under a nanosecond? That is very impressive considering this is around Luke Skywalker's reaction time (or even faster).

"

thats basically crucial for your calc. yes. you should find something proving that 2 points

@Raven, you can scale the high tiers to low tiers as a lower bound AKA writing something like "at least relativistic,+, likely much higher"

The nanosecond stuff is in the OP. Unsure where the bullet speed is from.

In regards to this thread, it may be possible to calc the nanosecond stuff but you should post full quotes if possible. But yea, assuming 1m for the distance

1m/1.0 x 10^-9s = 1.0 x 10^9m/s = 3.3x FTL max speed

1m/1.0 x 10^6s = 1.0 x 10^-6m/s = 0.33% SoL min speed

RavenSupreme said:
i am currently involved in 2 other threads so be easy when i dont get it, i briefly looked over the long text but from what i got its about the upgrade for speed for regular space marines?
because in the quotes i see several heroes or remarkebale marines like kharn, lucifer the eternal, gabriel etc... i do not think any of this should be scaled to your average run-of-the-mill marine

though i have not looked too much into the thing in general or its legitimacy
No, only upgrades for highly trained marines and named characters. Run of the mill marines likely remain "at least hypersonic+" with the "likely much higher" being turned into an actual speed and clarified to be only for the best of the best.

well space marines get tagged by regular fire on a daily base - and i mean fire they do not take intentionally (fanatics shooting lasers at their armour is intentional, chaos marines bolter round tagging is not)

of course this can be disregarded as PIS however it happens in virtually every battle involving space marine. the only time i really got the impression marines are really that OP an entire length of book was when i read through salvations reach where 3 single marines basically took out the entire chaos army by themselfes

(but ofc. in another book a bunch of regular imperial guardists took down a chaos marine squad so...)

not to mention marines often dances with agents of the ordo assasinorium - and fail to overwhelm them quite some time (not as bad as dying to a handful of imperialists since the assasins are actually dangerous but still)

regardless of the result of the calculation / outcome of the thread i heavily vote AGAINST scaling it to marines in general. thats basically contradicting the entire lore

primarch however are a complete different matter and i am open for arguments for it

edit: havent seen your reply there azatoth, yeha. its basically what i suggest for scaling too

---

i will look deeper into it later then

When you say "against marines in general" does that include people like Kharn and Ahriman? Because that is who this mostly would apply to. Most marines remain hypersonic+, with only named characters getting the buffs, as those are almost always the characters with the OP feats. Normal marines repeatedly get tagged and gunned down by heavy bolter fire, as you mentioned.

Edit: Oops, just saw your edit.

kharn and ahriman are absolute heroe marines. they ofc. would get it when everything is accepted

edit: now i saw your edit lol

@Raven: I just need the first point. For the second, I believe Azathoth gave enough evidence that some space marines can react and think in nanoseconds. This means that the primarchs has to be at least that fast, or much faster. So, since I probably got the speed of bullet wrong, I was wondering if anyone knows the actual speed?

Anyways, "FTL+" sounds fine considering that Khan was supposed to react and move in under a nanoesecond and Angron just blitzed him (this was before Daemon Prince).

@Azzy: I think that you can put Horus around 4-B (or maybe 4-A) during that fight against God Emperor. There is a huge gap in 4-B (over trillions) in terms of destructive capacity, so even if the Emperor was holding back I don't think Horus' tiering would change considering GE is in 4-A.

If the God Emperor is 4-B to 4-A, I think the primarchs should be at least 4-C due to power scaling. Particularly Sanguinius, who fought Horus for hours on end and can casually smash Ka'Bandha's (who should be higher than 5-C) to pieces.

if anything fails and we get no clear intel on the speed of the bullet i suggest to use regular high caliber bullet speed / this way a low end is secured

RavenSupreme said:
if anything fails and we get no clear intel on the speed of the bullet i suggest to use regular high caliber bullet speed / this way a low end is secured
Well the bullet was said to be hypersonic, so it has to be at least Mach 5. If not, I'll just use the regular bullet speed. The bullets being nearly frozen in the Primarch's vision is true though, correct?

Horus should be scaled from Abaddon, whose profile specifically states that his powers are approaching the former glory and power of Warmaster Horus. This would mean that Horus is at least 4-B.

Also, I don't feel that the calculation is necessary as there is already enough evidence that the Primarchs can move and react to things in way under a nanosecond. This easily puts them at FTL+ range.

when they are said to be hypersonic you need the quote where its stated and the quote where it sais the primarch sees them in near standstill

then you are good to go

Honestly the result would probably be less impressive than blitzing someone with nanosecond reactions before they realize what's happening.

why not calc both events?

in battles people refer to calced values. we know how stressfull it is to deny "lolblitz" arguments when we have no value for one of the contestants

This seems acceptable to me, though for obvious reasons it doesn't really scale to the relative fodder of the verse.

You have to realize that these Primarchs are literally gods compared to regular space marines. These guys are leagues above your Adeptus space marines, who in turn are leagues more faster than your average space marines.

Bumping this.

Also, @Crazystarf

I think you mean Adeptus Custodes (The Emperor's bodyguard) compared to Adeptus Astartes (basic space marines).

Ah yes, Adeptus Custodes. My mistake. Also is there a chance that the bullets in WHK can move at hypersonic+, or even faster?

Depends on the bullet. Like...lasgun fire should be waaaaay faster than bolter fire, but it doesn't hit nearly as hard. I know lascannons fire at SoL, but I don't know if other las weapons do.

Alright, so since this has several individuals in support of it already, I'm going to ask for a few more opinions before doing anything. There are a few more threads I want to get to, after all.

Faisal Shourov said:
How many instances are there of nanosecond reaction?
These two examples are here because they're from regular (though keep in mind, very highly trained) space marines, though there are many more examples from other characters. Your absolutely no-name psyker can use stuff like divination to acquire sub-nanosecond reaction time, and there are plenty of characters still superior to that.

RavenSupreme said:
the techmarines provess informations in under nanoseconds. just as a reminder
Thank you. I'd forgotten about tech marines.

I'd also forgotten that supposedly necron soldiers (ones who were soldiers in life, like Immortals) can process billions of battle strategies in nanoseconds. This is a description of a Doom Scythe pilot's processing ability.

"Doom Scythes are heralds of terror, supersonic fighter craft that range far ahead of a Necron invasion. Thanks to the precision of his android brain, the pilot can simulate billions of strategies in nanoseconds."

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
These two examples are here because they're from regular (though keep in mind, very highly trained) space marines, though there are many more examples from other characters. Your absolutely no-name psyker can use stuff like divination to acquire sub-nanosecond reaction time, and there are plenty of characters still superior to that.
Alright, it's good to upgrade then

Well, since I will be approving of this upgrade as well, I would just like to thank Azzy for doing a very impressive job on finding these texts from the book.

Anyways, the Necrons processing billions of strategies in a nanosecond is absolutely bonkers. If this was calculated as a reaction speed, they would have a max reaction speed of 1/(10e(9+9)) = 10^18 m/s. That is 3.33 billion times the speed of light. Looks like we are seeing some serious speed feats here.

Alright, so since pretty much everyone seems to be cool with this, I'd like to know some sort of ballpark for the speeds. The mid end for a highly trained marine reacting in under/in a nanosecond should be fine for them. Then I suppose that would scale to guys like Kharn and Ahriman, whose movements can barely be fully processed by marines of that level, and maybe they'd just take the high end? IDK.

RavenSupreme said:
processing strategy does not translates to reaction/movement/travel/attack speed
Is the billions processing feat done by Necron fodder, or is it done by C'tan shard pieces? If it is done by C'tan shard pieces, it does translate to reaction/attack speed as their speed should be Massively FTL+.

Back