• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
nanosecond reactions and movement should definitely be in the lightspeed/ ftl range (based on the task performed)

if they moved or reacted to something that moved more than 30 cm in ananosecond, then they shud be ftl, if they reacted to something that was a little bit slower than that (or moved a little less than 30 cm per nanosecond), then that wud be relativistic+

Well, here is some more stuff I dug up:

Microsecond warning:

As the shell seared past, Rangar threw himself flat behind the low pile of rubble trying to make himself as small a target as possible. That had been close, too close. The shot had almost parted his hair. Only his lightning quick reflexes, and the microsecond's warning provided by his superhuman senses had got him out of the way. If he had ducked half a heartbeat later, his head would have been an exploding fountain of gore and bone.

- Space Wolf Omnibus Page 269

At least this one sort of implies movement

Alakabamm said:
Well, here is some more stuff I dug up:
Microsecond warning:

As the shell seared past, Rangar threw himself flat behind the low pile of rubble trying to make himself as small a target as possible. That had been close, too close. The shot had almost parted his hair. Only his lightning quick reflexes, and the microsecond's warning provided by his superhuman senses had got him out of the way. If he had ducked half a heartbeat later, his head would have been an exploding fountain of gore and bone.

- Space Wolf Omnibus Page 269

At least this one sort of implies movement
this is very good

however ragnar is the embodiment of a plotshield space marine.

but as long as we stick to scaling such feats and calcs only to heroes and primarchs i am fine

--

i will not support such speed upgrades for the "space marine" page in general

Maybe not Ork Boyz, but Ork Nobs and their elites, yes.

Eldar, Necron, Tyranids, Orkz, and all other species are able to combat the Space Marines.

@Raven, wait, you mean the Frost Blade? The Same blade that's able to easily banish the Greater Daemons back to the Warp? Unless i'm mistaken, i don't see an issue.

RavenSupreme said:
i am literally talking about the spear of russ
THE spear of russ
That... had nothing to do with Rangar...

The Spear was lost, however, when elements of the Thousand Sons, including the sorcerer Madox, stole it for use in a ritual to bring their primarch through to the material world from the warp. The Great Company of Wolf Lord Berek Thunderfist were able to interrupt the ritual, when (then Blood Claw) Ragnar Blackmane seized up the Spear of Russ and hurled it through the warp portal, stabbing the eye of Magnus. This stopped the ritual and closing the portal, but at the cost of losing the Spear of Russ into the warp. (Grey Hunter (Novel) - The Space Wolf Omnibus by William King, Chapter 2, p. 546)

More importantly, Magnus was in no way powering the ritual.
Rangar is a walking plot shield, but the same can be said for almost every character in fiction.

i am aware of it. however ragnar seizing a primarchs spear and using it whereas regular space marines where depicted as not even be able to wield a primarchs weapon

plotshield x infinity and just fits into the entire space wolfs books.

i have to re-read but did he not also had some little dance with an adeptus custoded at his time on earth? i can be wrong on that one. but not sure

RavenSupreme said:
i am aware of it. however ragnar seizing a primarchs spear and using it whereas regular space marines where depicted as not even be able to wield a primarchs weapo
Citation for other Marines being unable to use Primarch's weapons?

Aparajita said:
RavenSupreme said:
i am aware of it. however ragnar seizing a primarchs spear and using it whereas regular space marines where depicted as not even be able to wield a primarchs weapo
Citation for other Marines being unable to use Primarch's weapons?
searching for it.

Alright, so to finalize this, what should the speed values be?

FTL for the named characters this scales to (Kharn, Ahriman, Abbadon, Eldrad, etc.)

At least FTL+ for the Primarchs (Primarchs such as Angron could move so fast, characters like Kharn couldn't even follow their movements and properly react, and considering the range for FTL is only like 10x...)

The Emperor's movement speed gets bumped up to At least FTL+ (When he moved during his battle with the Orks, Horus, the strongest of the Primarchs, thought he was teleporting)

Thoughts? Does this sound agreeable?

Yea sounds fine, however:

@RavenSupreme, would the regular marines get the microsecond quote speed thing I mentioned or not? Unsure if that was resolved but it would imply at least massively hypersonic reflexes

If Horus, the strongest thought that the Emperor is teleporting instead of moving, this means there is a massive gap in speed between the Primarchs and the Emperor. The Emperor should have a higher speed rating imo; MFTL+ is fine for the Emperor.

Crazystarf said:
If Horus, the strongest thought that the Emperor is teleporting instead of moving, this means there is a massive gap in speed between the Primarchs and the Emperor. The Emperor should have a higher speed rating imo; MFTL+ is fine for the Emperor.
Well I mean, that's already where his reactions are, to be fair.

Edit: For reference, here is a portion of said segment. Keep in mind that for the context of the "too fast to follow", this story is mostly from the perspective of Horus.

"The Emperor was amongst them. His sword was a bluesteel shimmer, too fast to follow with the naked eye. He moved through the orks without seeming to move at all, simply existing at one point to kill before appearing elsewhere to reap greenskin lives by the score. Each blow struck with the force of an artillery impact, and shattered bodies flew from his sword as though hurled aside by a bomb blast.

Nor was his sword the Emperor's only weapon. His outstretched gauntlet blazed with white-gold fire, and whatever the flames touched disappeared in explosions of red cinders and ash. He battered orks to bonelessness with bludgeoning blows, he crushed them with invisible coils of force and he repelled their gunfire with thoughts that turned their rounds to smoke.They came at him in their hundreds, like iron filings to the most powerful magnet, knowing they would never find another foe so deserving of their rage. The Emperor killed them all, unstoppable in his purity of purpose. A crusade of billions distilled in one numinous being.

Horus had fought alongside the Emperor for well over a century, but the sight of his father in battle still had the power to awe him. This was war perfected. Fulgrim could live a thousand lifetimes and never achieve anything so wondrous."

Speaking of the Primarchs... what about Lorgar, since he's above all of the other Primarchs now?

Aparajita said:
Speaking of the Primarchs... what about Lorgar, since he's above all of the other Primarchs now?
You mean what about his speed? IDK, probably still within the same range as the others.

Great work to all those who contributed to this thread. I always knew that the Primarchs were capable of much faster speeds than massively hypersonic+.

Alright, I have adjusted the speeds, accordingly. Does it look good?

I will also leave this thread open a tad bit longer just in case anything comes up.

i would suggest somehow uploading the quotes as pictures and link them in the description for the speed reference

Well, I was thinking of taking your previous advice and simply making a blog with all relevant quotes which would be linked on the verse page.

that would be helpful as well. though if the thread goes bigger its hard to kepp track of the quote (unless you can link a specific post, which i dont know)

Back