• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Verse specific powers and physiology pages

"its system is the most complex in any shonen series and the universe of possibilities it has is, by far, the biggest that exists in any fictional verse I know about."

Stands want to know your location.

I think that this makes sense. Association has always been a good way to remember what abilities a character has. Kharn is associated with power null, Goku is associated with Ultra Instinct, and so on. Creating verse specific powers pages would allow people to immediately know what the character is capable of without having to go through every page and see a huge wall of text that most characters in the verse share. This would streamline the pages to show what's unique to the characters, and not whole lines of copied text.

Personally, I prefer having unique power profiles for the opposite of one of the thing Saiko said. I find the aesthetic of going to another page as opposed to having to search (potentially a wall of) text. I think it's easier on the eyes and to process when I can go see a verse's specific aspects of a special property of a verse on a seperate, specified, page.

Unique power profile would help a lot to characters with large array of abilities (COUGH Madara), cleaning the profiles a lot.

"its system is the most complex in any shonen series and the universe of possibilities it has is, by far, the biggest that exists in any fictional verse I know about."

Digimon wants to know your location. Hmph Info dumps? How about at least 7 Anime and like 5 or more games (still growing) a few manga and some interviews lol.

Having more instances where the power system is referenced r used doesn't count as info dumping.

It is when those situations in themselves are info dumps. God Cyber Sleuth had a ton of that...

Powers that are specific for Vs should generally not have their own pages unless there's some details. There is the Super Saiyan Transformations that have profiles, but that's generally due to popularity and iconic status of Dragon Ball as wells as distinguishing all the different versions. Specific Power pages are fine if they're both unique and prominent enough to warrant one. Though, there are certain unique power sources that could be treated as a weapon; this can include The Force from Star Wars, that can stay for certain.

Eficiente's suggestion makes sense to me. It helps to draw the line between our standard pages and the ones that belongs to specific verses.

We should make a guide about which power-systems/abilities should be valid to add as their own pages if the mechanics are well structured and justify its own page. Dragon Ball's Ki isn't something I'd say deserves its page, considering how basic the system actually is, while Chakra might deserve it (especially the goddamn Kekkei Genkai, which would help to clean some of the Uchiha's profiles).

Things like Super Saiyan may be better removed since they are hardly different than mormal Statistics Amplification that many,many verses have. Sonething more complex and unique to that verse I would be more open to.

Yeah, did propose why Super Saiyan should even have a profile; and especially since all the different types once had profiles. Merging them all into one was at the time felt like the least bad option. But I think Prom wanted to keep it was one of the reasons it stayed but as one profile.

I definitely think that we should allow these pages to remain, as long as the concepts are prominent enough, as they broaden the scope of our explanations about different fictions.

However, it is possible that they should not have the generic "Powers and Abilities" category at the bottom of the pages, and simply use the specific verse category instead.

For example, Haki should definitely use the "One Piece" category, but maybe not this:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Powers_and_Abilities

@Antvasima: Although I fear maybe I shouldn't bring this up, what of Dragon Ball? Besides the matter of ki, there's also the "possibly Vice Shout". Would it be possible to improve Dragon Ball character profiles by grouping abilities many Dragon Ball characters are given onto one page in this manner?

I don't think it is required for Dragon Ball. There aren't many powers and abilities that can be grouped under one umbrella which can be used in multiple profiles efficiently.

Thank you for your response to my inquiry. Sorry for any disruption.

If other 'verses that may be fit for such ability grouping pages come to mind, should they be brought up here, or is this just for discussing guidelines to such pages?

I think that this is just for discussing guidelines.

I would expect three things at least

1. The power isn't just a different name for a pre-existing power, with only a few special characteristics that still won't make it incorrect to say "This is a fairly ordinary application of X power"

2. The power isn't too exclusive in terms of usage, as in it's something that's only utilized by one or a few characters in the series.

3. It's very significant within the verse itself. What this means is a bit subjective but all I want to say is that reserve pages for powers that matter a lot in the given series and not just any verse specific thing from that..well, verse

So what would be the general concenseus be here?

We allow verse specific powers and ability pages, but they should be tagged under the verse itself and not the Powers and Abilities category?

I wouldn't mind. Always thought it was weird that The Force had its own page when only Star Wars characters could use it.

@Sir Ovens

That was just a suggestion from me. I do not know if other staff members agree with it.

I do agree with a Verse specific powers and physiology pages' guideline.

I think @Andytrenom's 3 standards and @Sir Ovens's suggestion would be fine for the Verse specific powers and physiology pages' guideline.

I'd also suggest another standard:

Individual characters should not just have some subset of the abilities of the verse-specific power. All the abilities of the verse-specific power should be applicable and have uniform effect on the characters. Everyone with the ability should share the applications of the ability.

Not even Physiologies would work well. For example, vampires don't have the same characteristics between verses, same for zombies, werewolves, etc.

@AKM

How would that work with the several different applications of The Force and Haki for example?

I think verse specific abilities pages should serve to generalize the ability in question. The specific applications characters in said verse use the ability for should be detailed on their individual profiles. After all, the pages should serve to inform visitors what said powers are capable of in the first place. No doubt they will be lost when given buzz words such as "Phenomena Intervention" and "Haki", and the ability pages should serve to keep them updated on what they mean and do.

Antvasima said:
@AKM
How would that work with the several different applications of The Force and Haki for example?
My point is, if we still need to explain the different associated abilities and applications of a verse-specific power in every different profile, then I don't see how creating such a page is an improvement over what we already do.

So what you're saying is something like:

If there's a verse-specific power that many characters have, including Main Character X, and it's called "Dimensia" or something...

If every Dimensia User gets Madness Resistance by definition of being a Dimensia User, Madness Resist would go on the Dimensia page

But if Main Character X specifically uses Dimensia to Time Travel, that would only go on Main Character X's page?

This would be really helpful, considering how often I do a lot of copy and pasting when creating pages from the same verse.

I have another question though...

Shouldn't we have a minimum level of complexity involved in the power system in question? Like, no Ki page for Dragon Ball because it boils down (somewhat) to stat-amping and energy projection. But then you have (to use a verse I made recently as an example) Dinosaur King, where the mere state of being a dinosaur gives you 3 different states of being and at least 14 universal abilities.

AKM sama said:
My point is, if we still need to explain the different associated abilities and applications of a verse-specific power in every different profile, then I don't see how creating such a page is an improvement over what we already do.
Well, part of the point of these pages is to shorten down the powers and abilities sections descriptions.

Back