• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Verse specific powers and physiology pages

Wokistan

Bioluminescent African American Working At The CIA
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Human Resources
Main ones I'm thinking of are Gem Physiology and Haki.

I was told that verse specific powers were not to be actual pages, and were just to be explained in terms of the powers we already had or blogs if one really must elaborate. However, the above two exist.

Unlike a lot of other power additions, I'm actually not fundamentally opposed to this idea. I think pages for physiologies and such could actually help streamline many profiles that are characters of a certain subset, like a physiology for all Adeptus Astartes or Hive Gods from Destiny given the amount of abilities they get just due to a status, and I'm sure there's possible examples for other series as well. Haki I am less sure about, but it doesn't exactly do harm as of now.

What I think should be done though is some sort of establishing of guidelines for such pages, if they're to stay. We don't need every single little thing that doesn't fit perfectly into our categories to be a new profile, and I would greatly appreciate suggestions as to what people want these regulations to be. Personally, for pages like this I think it should have to be abilities that are very widespread within a verse, not specific to a single character, are inclusive of multiple other abilities/resistances, etc.

So yeah. Discuss.

Something like "Elemental physiology" or "Vampiric physiology" are things that i think would be very fun to implement because they are so common

Wokistan said:
What I think should be done though is some sort of establishing of guidelines for such pages, if they're to stay. We don't need every single little thing that doesn't fit perfectly into our categories to be a new profile, and I would greatly appreciate suggestions as to what people want these regulations to be. Personally, for pages like this I think it should have to be abilities that are very widespread within a verse, not specific to a single character, are inclusive of multiple other abilities/resistances, etc.
This part sums up how i feel.

Note that this comment isn't specifically directed at anyone

Naming off abilities and such that could do with this is all fine and dandy, but the real point of this thread was more for us to establish guidelines for this sort of thing, if we even are to accept it in the first place. From now on let's try and focus more on that as opposed to what possibilities there are.

Maybe I should highlight this, on second thought.

Bob brought this up in the past, but a Digimon Physiology Page could work. Overall I think this is a good idea. I believe that there should only be verse specific powers if said power contains multiple abilities in one.

I don't think we have a defined set of standards. We evidently have some pages like this though.

Maybe an specific page about Status Effects Inducement for each Verse that have and how they work, like Pokémon's Status?

I'm not so sure. Adding pages for powers that would only be used for a handful of characters from a specific verse seems too, well, specific for me. This kind of thing should most likely go in a verse explanation page or a blog instead of an entire power page for it.

If this gets rejected, then The Force and definitively the Super Saiyan pages need to go.

Like those, the ones I listed in the OP, Shinsoo, etc.

Also guys, again. I'm not looking for suggestions for pages to make. I am looking for ideas on what regulations we should impose on them.

I edited this in my comment but a standard I think should be a thing is if said verse specific abilities contain multiple powers or unique abilities.

Digimon Physiology grants multiple different resistances and defensive abilities, Phenomena Intervention has a crapton of random crap that could happen, then there is Haki.

There is also the fact that adding up tons of powers under one single verse-specific power only really helps the writer of the profile, as the reader will have to go read another page entirely to see every single powers the character gains from this. It's even worse if the verse-specific power can give individual characters different abilities and isn't 100% universal.

Wokistan said:
Like those, the ones I listed in the OP, Shinsoo, etc.

Also guys, again. I'm not looking for suggestions for pages to make. I am looking for ideas on what regulations we should impose on them.
I see what you did there....

I think that they are fine. As long as they are well sourced and look nice, there should be no problems.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
There is also the fact that adding up tons of powers under one single verse-specific power only really helps the writer of the profile, as the reader will have to go read another page entirely to see every single powers the character gains from this. It's even worse if the verse-specific power can give individual characters different abilities and isn't 100% universal.
Hmm...Didn't think about that.

t's even worse if the verse-specific power can give individual characters different abilities and isn't 100% universal.

This is where stuff like defining standards comes in. I'd say if pages like this exist, they should only list the universal aspects or aspects that when contradicted are considered the exception and that specific applications still go on files.

Reminds me of this thread, that IIRC was never really finished.

Personally I still see them as largely superfluous and at odds with us trying to not create pages for any specific sub-abilities and combinations of existing abilities.

However, if we allow them than one of the standards should be that any ability part of the verse-specific ability is not listed and explained on the profile beyond listing that ability, as otherwise the pages would be truly completely redundant.

That in turn means that such abilities should have uniform effects. Or in other words everyone with the ability should share the applications of the ability. Making a page for a verse specific synonym for magic/mutations/esper power/ki/skills/miracles, where every character has just some subset of the possible applications, would not save effort, but just make things more complicated instead.

I disagree with having verse-specific powers. Almost every verse has different set of powers and it will set a bad precedent where everyone will start creating verse-specific powers instead of generalizing them to be more neutral.

In case where it encompasses a whole set of multiple powers, all of them should be mentioned individually in the profile. It doesn't help the viewer when he has to click a link to go to another page to read all the powers, instead of reading them right there in the profile. Monarch and DT also have good points.

Things that are basically just power sources that allow for many different abilities imo shouldn't be counted, even if it has some universal abilities. Stuff like the Force, Ki, Chakra or whatever are out.

But I'm still against the idea as a whole honestly. It would allow for too many minor pages even if we regulate it and wouldn't bring enough positives to be worth the trouble it could bring.

I also think that doing an physiology based in a single species its overworking, there's simple too much different species. Not disagree with the blogs, but that is just so people have an idea of how the characters work.

Maybe general physiologies, like undead, robot, and yet I think there's still too much.

When a verse has a very specific power-set with advantages and disadvantages so clear between them I see no problem with having them as their own pages, especially when they don't fit the common criteria for powers.

Devil Fruits don't have a single power that can be found in every DF user, being the weaknesses the only thing they surely share with each other. So in this case I find accurate and necessary to have a page to, at least, explain what the heck a DF is, because it's not magic nor any type of energy.

Same goes with Haki, which isn't comparable to any Chi group energy we have listed in the wiki, with a consistent setting of abilities. In fact, we list the page in the profiles instead of naming every power it grants, or we would need to edit a lot of profiles since it's a common power now in the series. We have not enough people working on the verse right now, being around 5 members actually contributing to the edition, so deleting these pages just because they are from a specific verse would not only make our job harder but we'd be taking a system that can't be compared with any other to date.

Antoniofer said:
Maybe general physiologies, like undead, robot, and yet I think there's still too much.
I dunno but being undead or a vampire actually does grant a general amount of abillities and powers. We already have something for robots, inorganic physiology

@Calaca Making a power page just to explain a weakness isn't enough.

Also remember guys, the only reason why we'd make it a power page instead of just making an explanation page is to link it on profiles. If we can't link it on profiles as an ability, it's better off as just an explanation page/blog.

There is also the fact that if one is a bit clever one can write abilities so that they can be copy and pasted between character profiles, so that explaining them on 16 pages isn't a large effort.

@Saikou You didn't get the point. What I said is that the Devil Fruits share a vast amount of different abilities from each other, being the weaknesses the only thing that every DF user has. But just looking at the page you may notice that that isn't the only thing it was made for.

The information on the already-existing profile...really isn't needed. It lists all the different possible powers it can give, but that's something that can already be covered in each individual profiles. Do we really need a page to explain to us rather basic powers like manipulating X?

I don't think blogs are really the greatest. Only OP and admins can edit them, it's kinda hard to really track blog activity as well, you can't really make a thread on a blog specifically, etc

How about we actually put a use to the explanations section in the Standard Format for Verse Pages and move stuff like that there, if it shouldn't be actual pages? Seems to go largely unused pretty often

Well I didn't mean just blogs. We've got normal pages for explaining particularily complex verses. Not a lot, but still. And the verse page's explanation section can work too, yeah.

I can't talk much about other verses, but in One Piece's case we have over 150 pages and I'm pretty sure over 100 has Devil Fruits, with a large amount of characters (probably around 40) having some form of Haki in varying levels, so deleting the pages would suppose a vast amount of effort and work that can be saved in two page.

This is especially hard with the complexity of each system in the levels of each power and the abilities it grants.

So no, I disagree with getting rid of the unique power pages, unless it's some obscure power that isn't predominant in said verse.

For example, I wouldn't add a page for Rokushiki, despite having its wide array of abilities, because not too many characters in OP can use it, while Haki is like Ki in Dragon Ball, and Devil Fruits are a pretty common thing in the verse.

On the other hand, I'd accept a Nen page as a variant of Chi (linking them) because its system is the most complex in any shonen series and the universe of possibilities it has is, by far, the biggest that exists in any fictional verse I know about.

Back