• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Vegeta vs Sasuke - Who is better-written character?

2) So having more layers of depth = automatically better? If these layers still equate to "shit character" then said layers are nothing but show. Not saying having more complexity is bad, it's just overrated as a simplistic character can be just a good of a character as a complex one.

3) I vehemently disagree here. Better development can still equal shit character.

4) Sasuke's character developments is nice, however Vegeta's is far more glaring overall. It's simpler but powerful. Sasuke went through a shit ton of trauma yes, and how he develops through the cycle f hatred is nice. However, he was still a teenagers in the midst of growing up. Meanwhile we have this full grown man who was basically a big toddler in Z become this respectable and, well manly individual overall. Showing that no matter how old you are, one can still develop and change their entire life around. His was much more powerful for me than Sasuke's whose I felt began to drag on.

I never said anything about this being Sasuke's development.

Oh, yeah. I know that. Im not arguing with you. I respect your opinion.

Which better written? Very subjective but if I had to give my opinion...Vegeta.

Vegeta's progression is simpler but feels better paced. He goes from an arrogant, cruel and callous warrior (Saiyan-Namek arc) to something resembling an anti-hero (Androids, Cell and the start of the Majin Buu arc), to an anti-hero (End of Majin Buu arc/Z) to a prideful but devouted hero/family man. Vegeta's growing sense of compassion and honest love/care for those around him is something that I felt was natural and all the more powerful for it. Vegeta was always a favorite of mine due to his character but his development made him one my all-star favorites.

Sasuke, to me, isn't a bad character but his development...it tired me out to be honest. In the beginning, Sasuke was your typical rival character: Better than the protag, arrogant and dark past. Okay, cool, let's see where he goes. Then by the Wave and Chunin exams, he was becoming a better guy, developing more bonds with Sakura and Naruto, even acknowledging Naruto as someone worthy to fight. Heck, he didn't even think of Naruto as a stepping stone to his revenge or anything! Then he meets Itachi again...crap goes downhill. He goes full-on 'I don't care about anything but my revenge'. After the timeskip, Sasuke's is aloof and composed but seriously focused on his revenge. Then Itachi dies, and he goes ever increasingly crazy, leaving behind Hebi/Taka and almost killing Karin. Then he wants to start a revolution before finally settling down after the Ninja War is over.

Sasuke's development is erratic. To the point that I don't even care anymore. He never stays in a place long enough for me to ever develop enough of a connection and when I do, he suddenly shifts in another direction. By the time the series came to a close, I realized I didn't care anymore. I felt that the character went into too many directions and that the series wants me to give a crap but I'm indifferent to him, so he falls flat.

Honestly, I think Sasuke's issues stem from the writing of Naruto itself, which there a few big ones and I could write an essay about them but won't bring up here. He's ultimately a victim of it, like many other characters. Sasuke is certainly dymanic at the end of the day, but that's all I can say about him. Maybe, that's the worst thing I can say about him. We went through a rollercoaster with him, and I don't feel like we got anything meaningful out of him once the ride was over.

To sum up: Vegeta is developed character who is different from how he started but I can still see a lot the same traits in him: Prideful, even arrogant and not the most sociable kind of guy or outwardley friendly. But I can see where he's grown and more, importantly, believe it. Sasuke is someone who I no longer even know how to feel about. His development isn't as clean cut and so it feels like a cluttered mess that I don't want to even really deal with at the end of the day.

Vegeta, mainly because his development feels more human and natural, he feels like someone who really is discovering real different things about how he is and changes the little things he does, that's more than I can say for HST as a whole, I dunno they just feel too... melodramatic if that's the right word, mainly Naruto Dragonball characters just have that aura of people you would meet in real life (given their circumstances and backstory of course) they feel like what they should... people. Vegeta feels more like a person than a "character going through development/changing" than Sasuke.

Vegeta's development feels more realistic and true to how he started as a person. Like someone said above, Sasuke's development just feels erratic and shaken up, he feels more like he has like a weird mix of mental disorders than "complex" he feels like he just really jumps all over the place with different personalities than what it should feel like, one personality that gets progressively changed.

That's the big thing, people nowadays thinking that development is " this person has a complete personality shift" when it really is that they've changed on the inside and as a person as a whole, that's why Sasuke never escaped the Emo stigma to a lot of people, because at the end of the day he doesn't feel as "real" as others like Vegeta, Zuko, etc. more of a character with development.

There is more to a character than just development, it's nuance, attitude, charisma, fitting dialogue, that's why people with little to no development can be the most beloved characters in fiction, like Freeza (given he has had some development in Super) and Kira from JJBA. Some people just "click" with development and some don't.

Sasuke is a better character. People who hate Sasuke are just morons who don't understand him and are quick to jump on the Sasuke hating badwagon.

Sasuke is a better written character than anyone in DB or Naruto honestly, the amount of development and the depth of his character can be written about so much because there's just so much of it, if you pay attention to it it's honestly very well done, Kishi put more time and effort into Sasuke's character than Naruto himself or anyone else in the series.

The problem I feel for Sasuke is that his character does to many 180 turns, he flip-flops a little too much to show continued growth. His view points change so drastically, that I feel like I'm dealing with a completely different character.

I think that Kishimoto did too much in trying to make him a foil for Naruto and his...'development'.

Yeah, Sasuke def'ly takes it if we're talking about Vegeta. Piccolo would be a better choice for this question.

Sasuke had reasons for flip flopping though, i mean any reasonable person would under his circumstances, he has the most compelling and sensible reasons for the way he developed here and probably out of anyone in Naruto.

Also didn't Tobirama explain the Uchiha psyche? Sasuke after losing his family was kinda fated for that hatred. Which I understand. He could have easily been a second Madara or Obito, but he overcame it. Which I love.

However, I as someone who wants to be a father (and lacked one) I find myself more drawn to Vegeta's development overall as it shows him going for the selfish battle/carnage loving prince to a devoted father who is literally willing to skip a fighting tournament to take care of his newly born daughter and refuse to do any type of training until she is born. For me, Vegeta's character sticks out to me the most.

TataHakai said:
Sasuke had reasons for flip flopping though, i mean any reasonable person would under his circumstances, he has the most compelling and sensible reasons for the way he developed here and probably out of anyone in Naruto.
Wait.

If you had a brother that gave everything for his country, including his own life because he loved that country with all of his heart.

You think its reasonable for you to want to desecrate all over the sacrfices that your brother made by making it your life goal to destroy that country?

Are you serious?

Sasuke wanting to get revenge on Itachi for killing their family, when he though he was a murderous @$$: Understandable.

Sasuke wanting to kill Danzo for his part in the massacre: Understandable to an extent. His family was going to attempt a coup that would've caused civil war.

Sasuke wanting to destory Konoha and everyone it it: No. There is no justifying that.

As Warren points out, that would completely spit on everything Itachi did and sacrificed. If Sasuke did that, he'd also damn Itachi to, ironically, being the catalyst that would've destoryed Konoha. Itachi's entire goal was to protect Konoha, protect Sasuke and then have Sasuke redeem their name. Sasuke crusading to destory Konoha, in Itachi's name no less, is unexcusable. Yes, he comes back from this, but it always be a dark mark on the character and the point that many felt he jumped off the deep end.

Sasuke went from trying to get revenge on the people he felt wronged him to trying to hurt others who had nothing to do with his situation, just to satisfy his need for revenge.

Thats not 100% true. Remember, even if majority of the village didnt do anything some out of the lot still talked a lot of shit about Itachi for killing the Uchiua and while thats to be expected, obiviously no one in Sasuke's position would simply sit by and ignore what people were saying about their own brother/sibling. Especially a sibling who was forced to do what they did and not choose it out of free will.

One thing...

Sasuke was always angry about the massacre of the Uchiha clan. The reason why he wanted to destroy the village is because they were complicit in the destruction of the Uchiha clan...either by allowing it or turning a blind eye to it (This is refrencing the people who know the truth about the massacre). As far as the entire rest of the village goes, they were the ones who allowed these people who commited and sanctioned these heinous acts to remain in power, and willingly accepted their leadership.

IMO, the Uchiha Clan Massacre wouldn't have even happened if Minato was still alive at the time.

Back