• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Vegeta vs Sasuke - Who is better-written character?

Vegeta - Not cliche AF Sasuke - Think of all the bad guy/rival tropes and you get Sasuke

Sasuke no contest. Vegeta is kinda just a sad excuse of a prideful man with only three things to be proud of. His family, race, and title as prince. Other than that his character only really reached its best standing in this current series where he trains trunks and when he gives goku the last of his energy. If you ask me should have kept save majin vegeta hehe

I mean those three things, especially the first one, are pretty damn incredible.

I mean, being a loving husband to a happily married wife with your children being some of the strongest and most kindhearted Saiyans known on the planet is a hell of a lot to be proud of.

Trashing one character doesn't make the other good.

Vegeta goes through the most significant amount of character development throughout the entirety of the Z-part of Dragon Ball, it is honestly one of the series's best aspects.

Originally being a sadistic and arrogant genocidal maniac to somewhat of an anti-hero, to an actual good person. He became a man who can put aside his instinctual desires of constantly getting stronger to aid his wife with her pregnancy and with raising their daughter.

Vegeta wins as a character hands down.

The real cal howard said:
Vegeta, Gohan, or Piccolo? Who develops the most?
Piccolo probably. He started as an enemy for Goku until he became friends with Gohan and became good friends and Ally of Z Fighters.

Piccolo tbh, while I love Vegeta's character I still think Sasuke is far more complex and interesting character, while Vegeta's role was mostly placed as the character who would get his ass kicked by the villain or allowed the villain to get more powerful, while he has his moments here and there his character arc has stagnated.

Sasuke, on the other hand, is constantly changing as the story moves along, while his initially driven by hatred for his brother his constantly reminded that his not strong enough to do anything about it, (the opposite of vegeta), thanks to the murder of clan his ostracized himself from the rest of the village in an attempt to cut ties with everyone and solely focus on one thing despite him hurting inside, and as the series goes on his mind set changes depending on what has happened, sasuke as a character has developed more over the first part of Naruto than vegeta has over the entire Z.

the biggest difference's between the two are

Vegeta is the self-assured badass who knows what he's doing

Sasuke is someone acting like his a self-assured badass to cover his weaknesses

Vegeta, he has gone through a significant change in character for the better.Sasuke is still the same emo guy since chapter 1 he just isn't obsessed with destroying the village anymore.

Koopi said:
Vegeta - Not cliche AF Sasuke - Think of all the bad guy/rival tropes and you get Sasuke
Erm... isnt that Vegeta? Lol.

Part 1 sasuke is Naruto's best friend. Sasuke self-sacrifices for Naruto to shield him against Haku. And they hated each other before that.

Sasuke is willing to fight for Naruto, vegeta literally became a Majin to fight Goku AGAIN.

Sasuke grows from hating Itachi to wanting to avenge him. He is obssesed with that idea. Vegeta has nothing besides "lolpride" until recently when he demonstrated being a caring father (which sasuke also is, btw).

Honest question, because I'm still on part 1 of Naruto (Don't ask. Just know that I'm SUUUUUUPER early when it comes to the HST). Is Sasuke around for Sarada, or is he one of those workaholic fathers who's not really around, but a ninja version of it?

Vegeta, Sasuke doesn't compare really.

Naruto's a good bad like Dragon Ball but Dragon Ball's a better Good Bad.

(What I'm saying is they're both bad but I'd still called them my favorites even more then other anime or shows)

I could personally write an entire essay on Sasuke's characters development but I can pretty much sum up Vegeta's in matter of a few hundred words.

TBH the HST as a whole has far better character development that the entirety of Dragonball.

Dragonball's character dev= growing in power

Obviously, there are a few exceptions to the rule but that generally sums it up

This isn't anything really bad, I mean I love Dragonball as a whole, has a special place in my heart, but having complex Characters was never really it's thing.

with that I'm not saying Naruto characters are super complex either, they still fall under some cliche and what not of the shonen genre and I can name dozens of characters far more complex, I'm just saying as a whole Naruto has far more complex characters compared to Dragonball and considering Sasuke is basically the secondary protagonist I can vouch for him having better character development. just because a Character doesn't end up the way you want him doesn't mean his character development is bad.

"Dragonball's character dev= growing in power"

This is blatantly false. Growing in power is the result of the character development, but is not the character development is only power based.

Vegeta went from a selfish and cruel individual who cared about nothing more than his own powers. He went so far as to even slaughter others for his own selfish gains. All because he wanted to surpass Kakarot. However, in Super we see how much Vegeta has changed from the guy we saw in Z. We now see that he's an extremely caring father and someone who will fight for others and believe in others. We see this with his treatment of Cabba. We see this when he is even willing to let Goku take the win and be proud of the fact that Goku has achieved this power. He has placed his hopes in the man he wanted to surpass and has continuously cheered him on since his elimination. He has shown to want to honor his promises and is willing to do anything if it means his wife, teenage son and newly born daughter can have a future. This is the same man who actually cried upon his defeat as he felt that he failed both his family and Cabba who he made a promise to. This led to a power up yes, but there is more to it than that.

"TBH the HST as a whole has far better character development that the entirety of Dragonball."

People seem to assume this means that the characters are more appealing and that they are better. People run on the misconception that simplistic < detailed. Something I will fight against until I drop dead as I find it utter bullshit. A simple character with little to no real development can still be considered a much better character than someone who has had all the development in the world. I adore Sasuke, but I'll be damned if you hear me say that he's a better character than Vegeta because of his character development being more thorough and detailed. Vegeta as a character sticks out to me more than Sasuke as for me seeing this once cruel and selfish man become the badass caring father who'd do anything to protect his family is more appealing than the tragedy that is Sasuke Motherf**king Uchiha. Not saying it's bad, but it's not as appealing as Vegeta's. For me. This is subjectivity.

"I'm just saying as a whole Naruto has far more complex characters compared to Dragonball and considering Sasuke is basically the secondary protagonist I can vouch for him having better character development"

But does that make him a better character? To you it may. However, the fact of the matter is that better development =/= better character.

"just because a Character doesn't end up the way you want him doesn't mean his character development is bad."

Again, this is not the point. This is about whether we like the character more and their method of developing more. Not only that this statement is blatantly false as well. You can have a character go through development all you want. Some may still consider it shit. That's the fact of the matter. As a writer of his own video games and such I have to think of such things when designing a character. The developments needs to be worthwhile. Not saying this is the case with Sasuke, but just the argument in general.

Also if I find the character development to still make the character an unlikeable piece of shit, then said character development for me is absolute shit.

Gargoyle One said:
But what if said development is meant to make the character an unlikeable piece of shit?
If that's literally the point of the development, then it is fine. That is the point of the development. But if you try and make someone the sympathetic character only for the development to fail horribly and only make the character worse, the the development was shit and it was better left not happening at all.

I dont think Sasuke was meant to be simpathetic in shippuden the moment he tried to backstab sakura.

PaChi2 said:
I dont think Sasuke was meant to be simpathetic in shippuden the moment he tried to backstab sakura.
I never said anything about this being Sasuke's development.

1. Obviously ignoring my second post, there are a few exceptions to this rule, Vegeta, and Piccolo.

2. Having over convoluted characters is a bad thing but generally complex characters are liked more as they have more layers of depth to them, also complexity can also result in far better-written characters due to the fact that you have far more to work with. also Obviously it's subjective, this all extremely Opinated and I'm stating my reason why I think Sasuke is a better reason and his complexity as a character has to do with it, Essiantly his Vegeta but with more layers to the characters

3. Emphasis on Character Dev, and Yes to me it is

4. My point here was that many people drag down a character and essentially say his character dev is shit on the basis that they don't like it despite it contributing to the plot in a postive way, For example it's the equivalent of me saying "Vegeta has shit character Dev because he ended up tossing his pride away to save earth, which is not the Vegeta I Know" also as someone who has been writting and is currently working on a game I can relate to your last comment, it's about the qaulity of the development, not the qauntity, but in this case I still think Sasuke comes out on top, his character dev stands out to me as far more interesting and fun compared to vegeta combined with the fact that he has shown more complexity as a character which results in me knowing more and creating a far more real image in my head, he becomes a far more tangible character,a character I can genuinely care/hate or show feeling towards.

Back