• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unifying a few repeated P&A techniques on our files

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the main thing is to get to the 1 root ability that causes a certain use or application to reduce overlap. This will be difficult due to variations and subsets of certain abilities.

So the main thing is to get to the 1 root ability that causes a certain use or application to reduce overlap.
One or two, yeah
This will be difficult due to variations and subsets of certain abilities.
it's for general cases, of course functioning and explanation in-verse take precedent, but that's why I've picked extremely general powers in the OP, that can very well just exist with no elaboration given

Tllmbrg and Impress seem to make sense to me in their latest posts above.

Well, going down the list, Fire Extinction should just be put under Water Manip or maybe air manip?

Basic fire formula is fuel + o2 + spark.

The Two above can remove O2 amd the spark.

I still think we shouldn't label it as anything and just note if a character has it
It'd be like giving someone fire manipulation for having a lighter

I still think we shouldn't label it as anything and just note if a character has it
It'd be like giving someone fire manipulation for having a lighter
This seems like a very good point.

I strongly doubt that she will try to properly organise this project again, so somebody else will likely have to attempt to adopt it instead.

• Brainwashing Techniques: Inversely, these cases are described mostly by Social Influencing, but sometimes they’re defined by Mind Manipulation
Regarding this one, I feel this could also qualify as Hivemind under a large scale, as under these circumstances, under the influence of the one who brainwashed them, an entire population can share the same thoughts as the one who controls them.

Now, I do have another thing in mind that is hard to specify.

Chemicals and Potions: Chemicals are a bit hard to specify as the term itself is an umbrella term for weird, unfamiliar substances. In the real world, they may qualify as Poison Manipulation, Radiation Manipulation (which in the real world is treated just like poison manipulation with LD50s and whatnot), or Acid Manipulation, but there are harmless chemicals like pheromones which may be put under Fragrance Manipulation or go unlisted due to their finicky nature. Pheromones have properties aligning with Social Influencing, but I don't think they truly qualify for such. In fiction, chemicals do so much more than what I had already listed (like, for example, in one classic cartoon, Mickey made a potion that makes things more assertive and aggressive, which he put in an old-timey bug sprayer. It was one of the cartoons in the cartoon compilation VHS "The Spirit of Mickey") that you're much better off listing those things under "Chemical Manipulation".

There was no conclusion ever because there was no consensus ever, the thread is reliant on having definite standards on what to list common powers which weren't case-by-case issues, but it seems staff supposedly has other things to do rather than give definite answers.
@The_Impress Then what should we do here?

@The_Impress Then what should we do here?
Can you fathom that the thread is approaching two years old with barely any input and you're tagging a user who has zero interest in helping a website that harbors and rewards bigots by putting them on shrines?

I believe you're able to gauge what I prefer you to do: close it and do not tag me further on threads years old. There is an unsaid statute of limitation with responding on the thread, if you're not familiar, and close to an year of thread inactivity is more than enough.

Last edited:
I think that this thread has a useful premise, so it would be good if we finish it.

What do you think about this?
This thread was started in early 2022, hasn't reached a clear consensus on how to act, and the one who started the thread has expressed that she does not want to continue pursuing the matter.

If we consider this matter important, my honest opinion is that this thread should just be closed again and a new thread should be started to address the lingering concerns. I doubt the people currently on this thread want to receive a new notification on it once every few months.

Okay. My apologies then. I have closed this thread again. 🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back