• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
In the article for Frisk Undertale

The calculation for their speed with minimal and great determination appears to come from two feats Dodging meteors (that are moving fast enough to catch fire), and Dodging electricity. This is also the feats many characters such as Asgore scale off of for speed.

I wanted to ask the question, why is it that it’s assumed that these are actual meteors and electricity but not bullets shaped like those items?

My reasons for believing this are as follows

1. If we are to assume those are just hypersonic attacks slowed down so we can dodge them as a game mechanic then we are also to assume that the undertale universe has hypersonic flies, butterflies, spiders, skateboards, and that things like carrots and cereal fall at speeds comparable to supersonic. Not to mention this would mean every single human who did battle with the monster likely had these speeds as well (or else I highly doubt they’d be able to dodge actual meteors). If we are to assume the bullets are the actual objects they look like, then just about every single thing in the undertale universe scales to a speed around supersonic, and that the laws of physics are significantly altered so that items can fall at súper song speeds.

2. Reasons for me believing their bullets: In the game the projectiles used by the monsters in battle mode are referred to as bullets. This line from the library in Snowden implies that these bullets are a way for monsters to creatively express themselves, by for example the naming patterns on birthday cards. As well as showing all monsters are gifted with the ability to create these bullets

Flowey himself refers to them as bullets if you avoid his pellets the first few times.

My interpretation is, that everything that damages us in the game isn’t their real-life counterpart but instead, something the game calls “bullets”. They are the same object only differing in size shape and speed. With more skilled monsters creating patterns that are faster and harder to dodge.

Other monsters use it as a form of creative expression. It’s tradition to create birthday cards with bullets, of course, The two lover dogs from Snowden also use it to express their love for one another, and Mettaton EX uses disco balls and extra legs to create a more entertaining show

Hell, it probably doesn’t even need an explanation, it's probably just intended as a way to make fighting each monster unique.

To claim that the lightning and meteors from Vulkins and Knight Knights attack move as fast as their real-life counterparts you would need to claim that not only every organism but the rules of the Undertale universe themself are operating at speeds similar to supersonic levels.

I think it seems much more logical to assume that butterfly-shaped bullets move at similar speeds as electricity-shaped bullets, than that the butterflies of undertale can reach speeds as fast as lightning.

As such I think that the speed of undertale characters should be revised.

Note: I am an extremely inexperienced user, please let me know if there was a rule or precedent I am invalidating

1. This doesn’t matter, scaling can be done to anyone and anything based on feats, if a carrot keeps up with a lightspeed character, it is lightspeed, also i’m pretty sure it was said that humans are outright stronger than monsters there

2. Naming projectiles one thing doesn’t change what they are, they are called bullets because they are small and are thrown against you, that’s it, unless you wanna assume that they are as fast as bullets, in which case replace your issues in the first point with “supersonic”, this doesn’t really matter

Also, the game is a “bullet hell”, so that could also just be a subtle reference to it

3. This applies to literally every verse, prove that everything in dbz operates at MFTL speeds for instance

A lot of this is argumenting from incredulity tbh, if those magics show the properties of their objects, it is fine, and that’s what you should tackle

Also, the meteor feat is based on them being on fire, and being meteors means this is referencing their entrance on earth catching fire, thus implying it is due to their speed, this has nothing to do with being actual meteor or not, or else the feat would be hypersonic

Isn’t “everything in this universe is hypersonic” a much less logical assumption to make then “these Lightning bolts and meteors don’t behave as they do in reality”.

Its much closer to what the video game is trying to intend, and doesn’t require you to rewrite the laws of physics to allow for a carrot to fall at the same speed as a lightning bolt.

My point with the bullets being, if white projectiles are something every monster has and can do, these white projectiles are something unique from what their based off of (ie fire, lightning, bones)

Its much closer to what the video game is trying to intend, and doesn’t require you to rewrite the laws of physics to allow for a carrot to fall at the same speed as a lightning bolt.
This carrot is a talking monster carrot which is made of Magic, your argument is just Incredulity.
Isn’t “everything in this universe is hypersonic” a much less logical assumption to make then “these Lightning bolts and meteors don’t behave as they do in reality”.
Nop, it isn't. If a fodder monster can do a supersonic move, so everyone is supersonic too.
My point with the bullets being, if white projectiles are something every monster has and can do, these white projectiles are something unique from what their based off of (ie fire, lightning, bones)
Prove that every can do white projectiles

This honestly is a genuine Characterrant level argument. It's called scaling, my guy, it happens in every fictional verse where stuff is going at much higher speeds than it should, as otherwise the verse's narrative wouldn't make sense, especially when the bullets are magic in nature.

Back