• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Touhou Infinite Speed Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saikou_The_Lewd_King

The King of all Things Lewd
VS Battles
Retired
What the title said.

First of all scaling to the fodder is atrocious, who allowed that. The reasoning for it is pretty whack, given how it's based on the reasoning for MFTL+. Which isn't really applicable with this new rating. Fairies being comparable to Rabbits was only when both had similar MFTL+ feats. But now it's not the case. And Cirno "not being too far behind high tiers" is just dumb. She's a fodder, she has no business scaling to the higher tiers. A race of character described as "background noise" in the grand scheme of things should not scale to people capable of destroying the main setting casually, even in terms of speed.

So at the very least, the fodders like Cirno should go back to their previous speed scaling of possibly MFTL+, based off the Dream Fairies traveling interstellar distances.

But also, the speed feats that lead to Infinite Speed being a thing are also suspects. Let's break them down:

Infinite Corridor Feat

So the feat goes like this. Kaguya creates an infinite corridor, meant to trap the protagonists. Eventually, they travel to the "end" of the corridor, being set in outer space in a weird space cage. So the profiles assume they overpowered the corridor via sheer speed. But there are several issues with this interpretation. Namely...

-The corridor is meant as a trap. Unless Eirin somehow didn't know people on the protagonists' levels have infinite speed, using it as a trap would be useless.

-Eirin is not surprised at all by the protagonists "escaping" the trap. In fact, she seems confident that the trap worked. The protagonists reaching the "end" was intended.

-None of the protags react to the corridor being "infinite". They just note that it's long, and then notice that it has ended. Not once is it implied they went through an infinite corridor at once.

-There is an end to this "endless" corridor

-Miko, a character certainly comparable in speed, chose to use hax to dispel it instead of traveling it.

Now those arguments could be dismissed each in their own way. But to me, the true killing blow to this feat is this alternate, much likelier take on this. The idea that the trap was never meant to be infinite in this case. Eirin wanted to lead the protagonists to the fake Moon, where they would be unable to go home. The protagonists being forever trapped in this infinite path was never implied to be Eirin's goal. In each versions of the story, she expresses satisfaction that the protags reached the false moon.

So the more likely option is that the corridor was shut down when they reached the fake Moon, or it was only made to be this long in the first place. The goal was always to lead the protagonists there and neither Eirin or the protags treat their feat as a speed feat. Assuming it's a sheer speed feat when this explanation is much more consistent with what happens is silly.

Palanquin Ship Feat

This one is much more simple. The feat claims the Palanquin Ship flew to the edge of Makai, which is infinite. But uh.

"This ship is bound for Hokkai,
the world where Hijiri is imprisoned."

"A corner of the infinite area of Makai. That's where Hijiri was sealed away."

That's the statement. The problem is that "A corner of X" doesn't have to mean it's literally in the furthest corner of an area. Corners can exist anywhere outside of the edge of an area. Saying something is in a corner of an area to say it's in a tucked-away spot within the area is not uncommon at all.

Assuming that it means a literal furthest corner (of an infinite world, mind you, meaning it probably shouldn't have corners) is thus an unnecessary assumption that leads to an insanely inflated feat.

And there is also the fact that this assumes the Palanquin Ship is infinitely far away from the corner. There are no reasons to assume it started at the "center" of the area. In fact, it'd be pretty dumb for the ship to start infinitely far away from Hokkai, its destination. Another bad assumption.

Conclusion

Remove Infinite from fodders, it's bad and it has no reasoning that's up to date.

First Infinite Speed feat is bad because it makes an assumption that goes against how the feat is presented. The Second one is bad because it makes several assumptions that are counterintuitive.

So the verse's speed should go back to how it went. Fodders being "FTL, possibly MFTL+" and high tiers being MFTL+.

I am going to be watching this thread closely. Behave, or else I’ll throw a spellcard at y’all.
I discard my infinite speed Touhou to activate my magic jammer, which negate your spellcard!
MagicJammer-SS04-EN-C-1E.png

Edit: I agree btw, if it wasn't clear.

And there is also the fact that this assumes the Palanquin Ship is infinitely far away from the corner. There are no reasons to assume it started at the "center" of the area. In fact, it'd be pretty dumb for the ship to start infinitely far away from Hokkai, its destination. Another bad assumption.
Did you just say that, like honestly?

"The Palanquin Ship was created by Byakuren Hijiri and given to Minamitsu Murasa in order to win over her trust. The design itself is based on the ship that Minamitsu died on. It was eventually buried into the Underworld after Byakuren was sealed away by humans, but popped up on the surface of Gensokyo during the events of Subterranean Animism."

I thought the ship itself were located in Underworld at first. Like, legit. Where does your assumption come from if that's not the case? Like, it even had itself shown above the two protagonists (in Gensokyo) before Sanae would also butt in to validate the existence of ship?

Last edited:
Also, adding Mokou's reply onto this post's points upon request. ^^

"God damn it.

First, the corridor feat.

The first two points don’t even make sense. Eirin thinks the trap worked because her goal was
to lead the protags away from Kaguya. Her leading them an infinite distance away would be the
easiest way to accomplish that. And assuming Eirin immediately knows the capabilities of the
protagonists is… odd. This is the first time she’s met any of these people; we cannot assume
she knows how fast they can move.

The fact that it has an end is not a debunk. We literally had a staff thread on this exact issue and
came to the conclusion that speed feats that require reaching the end of an infinite space is fine.
So that's a no go.

Miko using hax is completely irrelevant. She could have traveled it, but more likely decided
that dispelling it was more convenient. It's like saying a character with light speed taking a taxi
somewhere is an anti-feat, when it's really not.

"None of the characters react to it being infinite". Why is this necessary? We know the corridor
is infinite from other sources, so why does it need to be specifically mentioned by the
protagonists?
And nobody treating their crossing of it as a speed feat is just… what? 99% of speed feats in
fiction are the same way. When a character dodges lightning or light, they don’t usually remark
on how fast they were moving. If we have a distance and a timeframe, we can determine speed.
No in-canon discussion of the feat is necessary for it to be valid.

Also, you need evidence for your ‘alternate takes’. Otherwise it’s just theorycrafting, which is
fine, but that’s not how this wiki works. You can’t just come up with random alternate
explanations to handwave away high end feats; You need evidence.
Now for the ship stuff.

The issue here is ignoring the original translation. As was brought up in the thread where the
feat was accepted, there is no definition of 角 (the kanji being used for 'corner' in the original
text) that means a secluded or tucked away spot, unlike the english use of corner. It always
means corner as in the edge of an object.

Also, what the hell are you talking about with the second point? The edge of an infinitely sized
area will always be infinitely far away. You can't be 'halfway' to infinity, or 99% of the way
there. You will always be an infinite distance away.

Don't make me post that one clip from GvS2. You know the one.

Lastly, the scaling.

First of all, when applying the edits, I just followed the mold of what was already there. However,
fodder or not, Cirno has repeatedly shown the ability to keep up with high tiers in speed (such
as against Marisa in GFW, or everyone in her Soku route). There is nothing in the spell card
rules indicating that speed is restricted in the same way power is, so everyone should be able to
keep up with each other to some extent.

Also, there is a scan for Rei'sen blitzing Reimu in SSiB. Don't remember the exact chapter, but it
should be on Rei'sen's profile. Regardless, it proves that fodder can blitz high tiers, so we can't
use tier as a method of determining speed scaling."

You also seemed like purposefully ignored the entire existence of Sanzu River, but that's another point.

Last edited:
Proxies are a hotly contested subject at the moment, and staff is generally heavily divided on the matter. At least for the time being, given I am not entirely sure what the official rule is due to conflicting information, I’ll say you can do it here. However, if things get even slightly, marginally aggressive or argumentative, I’m shutting it down. I want to hear nothing, nothing unnecessary or inflammatory from any of you, but especially Mokou. Objective facts and arguments, nothing else.

If my ruling on this is wrong, I apologize and wish to be corrected. Obviously, if higher authority corrects me, we’ll default to their ruling.

I'm inclined to agree with the OP
Please do not take me utterly harsh, or commanding/demanding, but I am genuinely wondering on what points, after reading posts of both sides, have got your confidence on the OP. As I, and Mokou's proxied reply does contain counter-explanitions about the OP's attempt of rebuttal, getting an elaborative reasoning about that may be better on both sides, and for people who either come in to start a 'Agree/Disagree FRA' train due to misinterpretations or bias.

Last edited:
I hate Touhou but I feel like these arguments are pretty weak (granted I don't know the context well), so I'm inclined to disagree until they are improved. I'll provide my reasons I guess.

"-The corridor is meant as a trap. Unless Eirin somehow didn't know people on the protagonists' levels have infinite speed, using it as a trap would be useless."

You contradict this several times yourself.

"-Eirin is not surprised at all by the protagonists "escaping" the trap. In fact, she seems confident that the trap worked. The protagonists reaching the "end" was intended."

There's no reason why infinite speed wasn't necessary and accounted for in her equation. or at least you haven't provided that reason.

"-None of the protags react to the corridor being "infinite". They just note that it's long, and then notice that it has ended. Not once is it implied they went through an infinite corridor at once."

If you can definitively prove that this was out of character for them to do then it would function as a refutation.

"-There is an end to this "endless" corridor"

Obviously "end of infinity" feats are allowed but to be fair, if the only evidence for it being infinite was due to it being described as endless then yeah that'd be an in verse contradiction. Of course the actual evidence for it being infinite is because Kaguya's power working that way and there's perfectly good evidence for Kaguya's power "actually" making things last an eternity.

"-Miko, a character certainly comparable in speed, chose to use hax to dispel it instead of traveling it."

So what lol? I think most people would probably choose to dispel problem with a hand gesture if the choice was between that and sprinting.

"Now those arguments could be dismissed each in their own way. But to me, the true killing blow to this feat is this alternate, much likelier take on this. The idea that the trap was never meant to be infinite in this case. Eirin wanted to lead the protagonists to the fake Moon, where they would be unable to go home. The protagonists being forever trapped in this infinite path was never implied to be Eirin's goal. In each versions of the story, she expresses satisfaction that the protags reached the false moon."

Already responded to this with my second point.

"Saying something is in a corner of an area to say it's in a tucked-away spot within the area is not uncommon at all."

I think it's more common when people describe the location of places in terms of corners they're more likely to actually be talking about corners than a "tucked away spot within the area".

"And there is also the fact that this assumes the Palanquin Ship is infinitely far away from the corner. There are no reasons to assume it started at the "center" of the area."

Is there any reason why it isn't? I think the base interpretation when any location is described as being in an infinite area is that it isn't a finite distance away from the edge, I mean there'd be an infinitely greater chance that it wouldn't after all.

"In fact, it'd be pretty dumb for the ship to start infinitely far away from Hokkai, its destination. Another bad assumption."

In what way would it be dumb? Is it dumb for people setting up the ship's position to not put it a finite distance away instead of an infinite one? That would imply they could travel infinite distances so what are you talking about here?

Last edited:
Same, I’ve only very recently got into touhou lore but these arguments are more or less based off of personal interpretations like assuming certain things are dumb therefore impossible.
That Isnt enough to contradict direct statements IMO.

I disagree for the reasons stated above. Not only that, but most of Saikou's arguments are trying to add personal interpretation against outright statements and the events that transpire in the story.

Also Saikou has already proven to be misinformed on how the palanquin ship feat happened, because It didnt start its travelling within Makai to begin with!

It traveled through Gensokyo (autopiloting the whole time mind you), entered into Makai, and then reached Hokkai. And the MCs caught up to the ship.

If necessary, I'll make a more thorough response, but I frankly lack the energy or desire at the moment.

Please do not take me utterly harsh, or commanding/demanding, but I am genuinely wondering on what points, after reading posts of both sides, have got your confidence on the OP. As I, and Mokou's proxied reply does contain counter-explanitions about the OP's attempt of rebuttal, getting an elaborative reasoning about that may be better on both sides, and for people who either come in to start a 'Agree/Disagree FRA' train due to misinterpretations or bias.
I don't see any reason for you to question someone else's vote. That's not cool at all. If he agrees with the OP, there's a reason for it.

But yeah, I'm kinda inclined to disagree. I see the point of it, but I just kinda think the arguments are a little too interpretation-based. But, given that I know literally nothing about this verse, I can't really offer much here.

So... is this thread dead, or is it still going? Hard to tell since Saikou has yet to respond, probably due to real-life shit going on or something.

What the title said.

First of all scaling to the fodder is atrocious, who allowed that. The reasoning for it is pretty whack, given how it's based on the reasoning for MFTL+. Which isn't really applicable with this new rating. Fairies being comparable to Rabbits was only when both had similar MFTL+ feats. But now it's not the case. And Cirno "not being too far behind high tiers" is just dumb. She's a fodder, she has no business scaling to the higher tiers. A race of character described as "background noise" in the grand scheme of things should not scale to people capable of destroying the main setting casually, even in terms of speed.

So at the very least, the fodders like Cirno should go back to their previous speed scaling of possibly MFTL+, based off the Dream Fairies traveling interstellar distances.

But also, the speed feats that lead to Infinite Speed being a thing are also suspects. Let's break them down:

Infinite Corridor Feat

So the feat goes like this. Kaguya creates an infinite corridor, meant to trap the protagonists. Eventually, they travel to the "end" of the corridor, being set in outer space in a weird space cage. So the profiles assume they overpowered the corridor via sheer speed. But there are several issues with this interpretation. Namely...

-The corridor is meant as a trap. Unless Eirin somehow didn't know people on the protagonists' levels have infinite speed, using it as a trap would be useless.

-Eirin is not surprised at all by the protagonists "escaping" the trap. In fact, she seems confident that the trap worked. The protagonists reaching the "end" was intended.

-None of the protags react to the corridor being "infinite". They just note that it's long, and then notice that it has ended. Not once is it implied they went through an infinite corridor at once.

-There is an end to this "endless" corridor

-Miko, a character certainly comparable in speed, chose to use hax to dispel it instead of traveling it.

Now those arguments could be dismissed each in their own way. But to me, the true killing blow to this feat is this alternate, much likelier take on this. The idea that the trap was never meant to be infinite in this case. Eirin wanted to lead the protagonists to the fake Moon, where they would be unable to go home. The protagonists being forever trapped in this infinite path was never implied to be Eirin's goal. In each versions of the story, she expresses satisfaction that the protags reached the false moon.

So the more likely option is that the corridor was shut down when they reached the fake Moon, or it was only made to be this long in the first place. The goal was always to lead the protagonists there and neither Eirin or the protags treat their feat as a speed feat. Assuming it's a sheer speed feat when this explanation is much more consistent with what happens is silly.

Palanquin Ship Feat

This one is much more simple. The feat claims the Palanquin Ship flew to the edge of Makai, which is infinite. But uh.

"This ship is bound for Hokkai,
the world where Hijiri is imprisoned."

"A corner of the infinite area of Makai. That's where Hijiri was sealed away."

That's the statement. The problem is that "A corner of X" doesn't have to mean it's literally in the furthest corner of an area. Corners can exist anywhere outside of the edge of an area. Saying something is in a corner of an area to say it's in a tucked-away spot within the area is not uncommon at all.

Assuming that it means a literal furthest corner (of an infinite world, mind you, meaning it probably shouldn't have corners) is thus an unnecessary assumption that leads to an insanely inflated feat.

Conclusion

Remove Infinite from fodders, it's bad and it has no reasoning that's up to date.

First Infinite Speed feat is bad because it makes an assumption that goes against how the feat is presented. The Second one is bad because it makes several assumptions that are counterintuitive.

So the verse's speed should go back to how it went. Fodders being "FTL, possibly MFTL+" and high tiers being MFTL+.
W. wank terminated, big W

Leaning towards disagreeing with op. Waiting for his response if he can back up the interpretation to be convincing enough despite direct statements

Oh you're that guy from youtube,
not youtube, but reddit. I think you might be mistaking me for somebody else..? (though i havent really interacted with you, quite exactly)
"irritate people" Funny to hear that from you. "how about you help out" I'm gonna wait it out for now. though, who knows.
"i show respect" 🗿

I agree that it's wrong, strongly.
Agree to what, and what is "strongly" wrong, could you perhaps elaborate? ^^

I don't see any reason for you to question someone else's vote. That's not cool at all. If he agrees with the OP, there's a reason for it.
Well, as I have stated in the same comment, it is to prevent people from starting pointless "-agree/disagree- FRA" trains without reading the context or having elaborative points for anyone to give a reason to. ^^

Anyone know if their might be something going on in Saikou's outside life that's keeping him from responding at the moment? I've seen that he's been lurking the last few days, but hasn't been saying anything as of yet. I have no idea.

I don't like the way some people's operating here. What the profiles say and show is nothing next to all there is to be said and show of the feats, the priorities should logically be "Hey, let's gather up all there is to it and put it on the incomplete profiles" even if infinite speed was correct. Infinite speed is a pretty big thing, a person with regular common sense reading the profiles would think "This tells me nothing, infinite and endless can be hyerbolic, meant as in that keeping on going rather than occupying a set, unexpanding infinite distance, etc.", that should be a massive issue for anyone, idk what kind of staff would allow that to be added to profiles.

I find some of the arguments in favor of infinite speed naive and/or counterintuitive.
And assuming Eirin immediately knows the capabilities of the
protagonists is… odd. This is the first time she’s met any of these people; we cannot assume
she knows how fast they can move.
Everyone talks while moving there and everyone fighting there has infinite speed in our profiles.
The fact that it has an end is not a debunk. We literally had a staff thread on this exact issue and
came to the conclusion that speed feats that require reaching the end of an infinite space is fine.
So that's a no go.
This is not a black ad white thing. Can there exist infinite speed feats with infinite spaces that have limits to them? Yes, well proven context can allow something so convoluted and counterintuitive to exist in fiction for we to claim. But when proving that a space is infinite it having limits still acts as a contradiction to it, "reaching an end" goes against something "being endless". The use of the word "infinite" can already be hyperbolic, mean that it will keep on expanding as one keeps going on it, or, in the highest possible take, already have its infinite space in place without needing to expand. Here we know
  • the place is said to be infinite, which is weak,
  • we can see characters travel across it at a limited speed, which goes against the idea of infinite speed but can potentiallybe forgiven since is a game (Needless to say, the speed at which they travel is faster than what's shown, but the degree is which becomes less likely to be the faster it gets),
  • and the idea of an the end being there goes against it not having an end too.
You cannot portray that it reaching the end doesn't matter because the feat should still naturally give infinite speed, because the place reaching the end clearly makes it more unlikely in logic to be infinite in its highest take. Is it a 100% debunk? Technically no, just like it would be to give any finite quality to something infinite.
Miko using hax is completely irrelevant. She could have traveled it, but more likely decided
that dispelling it was more convenient. It's like saying a character with light speed taking a taxi
somewhere is an anti-feat, when it's really not.
"-Miko, a character certainly comparable in speed, chose to use hax to dispel it instead of traveling it."

So what lol? I think most people would probably choose to dispel problem with a hand gesture if the choice was between that and sprinting.
Similar here. This is not a black ad white thing, and nor is that "completely irrelevant" in the way portrayed. What Saikou points out there isn't some end-all be-all proof, simply something that goes against the idea, should the feat give infinite speed this is something that you need to roll with.

Also no, "a character with light speed taking a taxi somewhere being an anti-feat" is not inhereditary always a false anti-feat, "a character with light speed taking a taxi somewhere casually" is specifically not an anti-feat, but "a character with light speed taking a taxi somewhere in a hurry or with context to be in a hurry" is an anti-feat.
"None of the characters react to it being infinite". Why is this necessary? We know the corridor
is infinite from other sources, so why does it need to be specifically mentioned by the
protagonists?
And nobody treating their crossing of it as a speed feat is just… what? 99% of speed feats in
fiction are the same way. When a character dodges lightning or light, they don’t usually remark
on how fast they were moving. If we have a distance and a timeframe, we can determine speed.
No in-canon discussion of the feat is necessary for it to be valid.
"-None of the protags react to the corridor being "infinite". They just note that it's long, and then notice that it has ended. Not once is it implied they went through an infinite corridor at once."

If you can definitively prove that this was out of character for them to do then it would function as a refutation.
This is in fact needed, it being infinite based on that other info doesn't intuitively mean what you think it means, and even if it did, next to most other feats in the series it would make the most sense for the characters to point it out. Heck all the teams with would-be infinite speed stopped the night so they could solve this incident in time and spent time doing it anyway, without knowing about the infinite corridor.

You're right that when a character dodges lightning or light they don’t usually remark on how fast they were moving, please don't appeal to feats that demand simplier evidence.
Also, you need evidence for your ‘alternate takes’. Otherwise it’s just theorycrafting, which is
fine, but that’s not how this wiki works. You can’t just come up with random alternate
explanations to handwave away high end feats; You need evidence.
As implied by what I said and as it should be logical from reading what Saikou wrote, he finds his takes as more likely and logical, therefore not needing evidence should that be the case and your takes needing better evidence should they be true. In any case, as said before your first concern should be adding the evidence for the infinite speed on the profiles, not the lack of evidence on the people trying to remove it, that would be how this wiki works.
Also, what the hell are you talking about with the second point? The edge of an infinitely sized
area will always be infinitely far away. You can't be 'halfway' to infinity, or 99% of the way
there. You will always be an infinite distance away.
The most logical take is that this infinite area having an edge means it's not infinite in its highest take.
"-Eirin is not surprised at all by the protagonists "escaping" the trap. In fact, she seems confident that the trap worked. The protagonists reaching the "end" was intended."

There's no reason why infinite speed wasn't necessary and accounted for in her equation. or at least you haven't provided that reason.
It is because unlikely due to the contradiction of something infinite having an end, making it likely that it has an end/it's not infinite in its highest possible time.
"-There is an end to this "endless" corridor"

Obviously "end of infinity" feats are allowed but to be fair, if the only evidence for it being infinite was due to it being described as endless then yeah that'd be an in verse contradiction. Of course the actual evidence for it being infinite is because Kaguya's power working that way and there's perfectly good evidence for Kaguya's power "actually" making things last an eternity.
First time this is said. Said evidence is nowhere and amounts to nothing really; we know it's not a hyperbole to it being really long, cool, but as it has an end then it's likely that the teams entered in it not in the opposite end, but somewhere a limited distance away from the end they reached. Or it could still keep on going eternity at an unknown speed.

Or the characters don't have infinite speed and this was an error in the technicalities of Kaguya's power because it adds an end to something endless.
"And there is also the fact that this assumes the Palanquin Ship is infinitely far away from the corner. There are no reasons to assume it started at the "center" of the area."

Is there any reason why it isn't? I think the base interpretation when any location is described as being in an infinite area is that it isn't a finite distance away from the edge, I mean there'd be an infinitely greater chance that it wouldn't after all.
Unless it isn't infinite in its highest take, or it is infinite that way but doesn't apply in an even way, like the depths of some specific areas being infinite (seas, skies) as it's common in fiction.
"In fact, it'd be pretty dumb for the ship to start infinitely far away from Hokkai, its destination. Another bad assumption."

In what way would it be dumb? Is it dumb for people setting up the ship's position to not put it a finite distance away instead of an infinite one? That would imply they could travel infinite distances so what are you talking about here?
This is counterintuitive.

Well, this topic look hot, i'm only have one question about the suppose famous endless corridor here. It is actually have infinite length and distance, or it just loop on itself endlessly.
When we talking about endless or infinite there is multiple case, it could be metaphor, hyperbolic, flowery; or the it did have infinite/endless distance; or simply the place (as a trap like OP said) loop endlessly/infinitely on itself to trap people it intend to hold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back