• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Torterra vs Infernape vs Empoleon

Bloodlust: Off

Method of Victory: Knockout aka making enemy Pokemon faint

No prep time

Starting distance: 20m apart from each other

Game Versions are being used

Who wins and why?

Torterra: 8

Infernape: 0

Empoleon: 0

Inconclusive: 2

600px-389Torterra
VS Infernape VS
600px-395Empoleon1

I'm going with Torterra here.

Infernape should be the fastest, so it's going to go first and most likely attack Empoleon. Infernape wails on Empoleon with Close Combat and wipes it out, but not without taking some hits here and there. This, combined with its lowered defenses, will easily allow Torterra to off Infernape on the spot from a distance with earthquake.

I wish I could vote for Empoleon, but sadly I'm going to have to go with Torterra as well. Even if Infernape attacks Torterra rather than Empoleon first, Torterra just needs to let out an earthquake or two and that would wipe both Infernape and Empoleon off the map because they're both weak to it, and Torterra is tough enough to get them off.

THB, while tis does works in vs battles, if you actually wanted to figure out every single move and possibility, I'd recommend doing this on a thread for pokemon.

TheNeolancer said:
THB, while tis does works in vs battles, if you actually wanted to figure out every single move and possibility, I'd recommend doing this on a thread for pokemon.
What does THB stand for?

Ok. So...

They all scale to each other in stats though on this wiki, so how do we know who wins any of this? And, we could just test it out on Showdown to see who's the actual best. Not to say this is irrelevant, but the wiki scales the starters to each other, and that makes this fight come down to who would win when they all hit each other. Torterra has Earthquake and Stab, so it should one shot but knowing this, they would focus Torterra with Fire punch and Drill Peck, both of which should one shot him 2 times over because of the way stab and type effectiveness works on the wiki... Like... Idk.

I vote inconclusive due to speed ties.

@Amexim

OP didn't specified distance, and Standard Battle Assumptions put them at the maximum range they can act in. Torterra spams earthquake and it's over.

Both a "for reasons above" and providing my own arguments.

Infernape is primarily a physical fighter, so he would go melee. Considering the disadvantages against Empoleon, most likely he would go against Torterra. Torterra can keep buffing it's defenses and eventually outlast Infernape, assuming he would let him even have the opportunity to get close.

Is the same scenario with Empoleon. Torterra can just attack in distance and/or outlast the other via healing and stat buff.

I just updated the starting distance, sorry I forgot to put that in.

I also updated the votes, let me know if I have made a mistake.

The biggest problem with this versus match is the fact that their stats are equal. Torterra does have the better kit, but because of that-- Infernape and Empoleon will abide by Pkmn FFA Rules and "assess the threat"-- tag teaming poor Torterra. Now, normally this would work, since I'm fairly certain Infernape and Empoleon outspeed Torterra in game-- but we're using stats from the wiki... So... How do we know who gets one shot? Their Blaze, Overgrowth, and Torrent abilities boost AP when they're at their weakest-- which would only work against Torterra who either EQ's or Heals. EQ might kill if they don't Ember and Peck him into the Reverse World with Giratina before he does it. Meanwhile, I'm not entirely sure how big the difference has to be in Durability from AP to one shot. And if EQ one shots, then Infernape and Empoleon do that and then some with Flamethrower. Infernape gets slack off for healing too. Sure, Torterra can buff, but that's only physical. And even if he layers up curses the first second he gets, he still gets whittled down by both of them-- if they don't two shot him!

Basically, it's inconclusive for me (and I think in general), because, despite Torterra having serious edges, it might not be enough.

What do we do in PKMN matchups like this, anyway? All the scaling makes them equal to each other, and it's never clear how much AP difference it takes to one shot another character. If we use the in game stats, Torterra definitely loses if they double-team. And then Empoleon would just finish off Infernape.

Still, I vote inconclusive unless someone elaborates on some more things in the fight, namely how much damage is needed to OHKO.

Torterra has an immense range advantage here, so regardless he'd be able to land a few earthquakes before he even enters their range.

Megamangohan:

I counted your vote. Now Torterra is the winner with 7 votes. Can someone add his victory to his profile?

Back