• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Toaru Majutsu no Index General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
it took me awhile but I added it, for some reason the picture wasn't aligning properly, but all good now.

For anyone interested, since there's only a month left until the release of NT15, we already have the LQ cover and the long summary here. Translated summary:

After transferring schools, Kamisato, who holds the World Rejecter in his right hand, shows up. "Kamijou's Everyday Life" resoundingly crumbles!

"My World Rejecter and your Imagine Breaker. If they clash, which of the two will win?"

The night after the clash between two boys whose right hands can surpass even gods. Kamijou Touma and Kamisato Kakeru, with unyielding thoughts in their hearts, glare at each other, with a menu on one hand, inside a school cafeteria!?

Let's explain this carefully. After the Magic God High Priest destroyed Kamijou's school, in order to keep him from becoming a repeater, he begins attending a different school. There, alongside an unusually unreliable "minimum" Student Council President called Fidgety Rabbit (Bikubiku Usagi-san) is his fated opponent, Kamisato...!?

Facing the threat of repeating grades that is worse than a battle with the world at risk is out of the question for Kamijou. Kamisato feels the same way, and is acting friendly for some reason. For a moment, he wonders if this is the detour to a burning-hot friendship route.

Then, a half-naked raincoat girl appears in the city.

This girl holds an overwhelming power that can mislead even Academy City's Level 5s...!

This half-naked girl's true nature is a mysterious third power... or not, which frightens even Kamisato, the little sister Salome!?

The repeating grades part was already brought up a few times for Touma in NT, so it doesn't surprise me at all. As expected, the true nemesis of normal highschool students is school.

EDIT: Also, because Kamachi is insane, May will have a collaboration between Index and Cyber Troopers Virtual-On (a mecha game, apparently) written by him, making it the 18th novel in Kamachi's current monthly schedule.

Oh yeah, Touma actually doing something to pass the grade had to happen sometime around now. Now that its said it should have been obvious that something like this was coming.

"This girl holds an overwhelming power that can mislead even Academy City's Level 5s...!"

So if this is shown in practice do we get some level 5 action? Misaka and Misaki where in the spotlight more recently. So Mugino, Gunha, Accelerator, Kakine or maybe even Number 6?

I would enjoy a bit science side around now to be honest. Then again the girls on the cover look more like they belong to the magic side or a third power, but that doesn't necessarily mean science side isn't involved.

An appearance from a Level 5 would be nice. Gunha, Kakine or Accelerator would be awesome, but Kamachi is probably having troubles finding anything for Accelerator to do in the current novels without overshadowing everyone else, since he's so above the usual characters. Same for Kakine, it has to be difficult writing anything challenging those two given their current powers. Mikoto was in the spotlight two volumes ago, so I hope is not her.

Number 6 would be a surprise, but Kamachi might be preparing to do something with them soon, thus the mentions in NT7, NT10 and the plot of NT12. Who knows, Kamachi can be pretty unpredictable at times.

A short explanation to the recent edit about Large continent level durability for accel I reverted:

Destroying Eurasia is after our current system continent level. That seems strange, but is because it wasn't changed during the AP revision. Hence for now the feat is continent level ┬»\_(Òâä)_/┬»

ohh, so what you're saying is that our Continent level rating is based on busting Eurasia? or is there a theoretical calc for the continent busting? either way I guess Fiamma needs downgrading

but yeah I do find that a little strange

LordAizenSama said:
ohh, so what you're saying is that our Continent level rating is based on busting Eurasia?
Naa, it is more that currently you need to make an explosion with 24955 kilometres radius to be large continent level, which is almost destroying the whole surface of the earth. It is an error (we inherited and did forget to fix) and needs to be fixed sometime (it just is that nobody got time and energy for a second revision). Actually I am not sure if straightforward feats like those should be ranked continent level in this case... they probably should.

In other news, Railgun chapters 82 and 83 have been translated. I hadn't really noticed that Frenda lost half an ear in the fight. RIP Rakko, who apparently was a baddass Level 0 hunter/tracker (I thought she was using her esper power when looking at the raw). Also, we know a little more about Boy with Glasses/Yobou Banka's power now. I'm surprised Kakine didn't kill him when he tried to defeat him. Well, we know how his overconfidence played out.

My opinion is that at the moment leave Fiamma as how he is. We will likely have to do a revision on Tier 6 in the summer vacation (might be later). Then all the problems will be fixed.

@lazy what site is that at?

@basilisk wow you did a lot of work with that, goodjob

so I understand that this will be looked at sometime in the future, alright.

Well, I asked Kavpeny if we should change statistics for such straightforward feats to what they should be calculation wise just now. We will know for sure what to do once he answers.

Oh, well Ha det bra Rakko.

@LazyHunter: You for sure weren't the only one who thought she had an esper ability like that. The whole explanation about how she only knows what her prey is doing as long as it is running away from her sounded like one of the strange conditions that esper abilities sometimes involve.

Banka's ability sounds interesting in the fact that in order to use psychokinesis to turn invisible, create fire, erase sound and likely also to copy Indian poker cards you would need molecular to quantum level control of the ability and technically one would also need to be able to detect things that small. Even though the latter is rather questionable given that kakine wouldn't need the tweezers if Banka could do that.

just finished the chapter. dam. badass. I also thought rakko had some strange esper tracking ability.

It's good we're finally getting names and info for boy with the googles and the school sniper, now the girl in the dress just needs a name..

Banka's ability sounds solid also

i'm curious though, if js06 translated the railgun chapter would he, or has he, translated the accelerator one?

Well, that's two SCHOOL members we've gotten info pages for, Girl in the Dress could be the next one and finally get a name and Level. Also, hopefully Frenda is revealed to have an esper power that works like a pocket dimension or something similar, because the amounts of bombs and equipment she carries in her person are ridiculous.

The last few raws we've gotten have been for Railgun, I don't know if we've had the same luck with the accelerator manga, given we're five chapters behind.

There's a shot in the Railgun S anime where Frenda is identified as a Level 4 but... well, Railgun anime. I would prefer confirmation in the canon source. The Toaru wiki mentions the DVD and Bluray booklets confirm what we already knew by the manga: she's the only one in ITEM that fights without using an esper power, so if she has one it has to be something not directly useful in combat.

Yumiya Rakko is done. Next I'll do will probably be Frenda, though I'm not sure as to how strong her doll bombs and small bombs are. Also, Haimura's design of her (and the other ITEM members from Vol 15) is not the best, so would it be okay to use this picture instead?

I wouldn't mind the picture.

I can look for AP for her weapons once I have time (manga should give some feats, don't remember for the light novel).

Do you already have a value for her tape?

I was thiking Wall level for the tape, considering she uses it to slice a ceiling and some metal stairs to pieces in C26 and to burn through Saten's handcuffs in C81. Hand rockets I was also thinking Wall level, since the first time (C27) they seem to make a bigger explosion than the dolls and in the second in C81 she uses them to drop pieces of a building in construction to cut the path of Saten's kidnappers.

That seems reasonable. Actually looking at the chapter I can not find much for the bombs either. For such small bombs it is pretty hard to actually relate explosion size to yield.

Given their size they are safely wall level, I guess. Wall level basically goes from 1.2 gramm to 5 kilogramm TNT. So assuming the dolls didn't use some special high tech explosive they should be somewhere in that range as well. (and I don't think they would use less then 1.2 gramms explosive, that would be less then fireworks)

On second thought, I just checked the wiki and I found a reference to Kinuhata using the same kind of missiles Frenda used in Volume 15. In the LN they are identified as handheld anti-tank missile warheads, and when Kinuhata used a few of them against Sunazara they nearly made an entire building collapse, so maybe Small Building level would be more appropiate for the missiles.

Vol 15 C4 P3:

They were handheld anti-tank missile warheads.

The guests running around looked shocked and said something, but Kinuhata ignored them.

She pointed the various warheads held between her fingers away from her and grabbed the short strings on the back ends with her other hand. It was a similar gesture to using a party cracker and it was also similar to holding an arrow in a bow. She paused for a second and then jumped out from behind the pillar while looking at the scene beyond the broken window. When she did, she took a bullet right between the eyes, but she ignored it and readied her aim.

She pulled the strings without hesitating.

With the sound of air being released, the power of the compressed air took effect and the warheads flew from the handles. After advancing 10 meters, they ignited and quickly traveled the 500 meters while scattering flames about. The multiple missiles hit the side of a building which exploded like crushed mille-feuille. The building must have been built to resist earthquakes, because it narrowly avoided completely collapsing.

It seems to be a recurrent comparison/power statement, yes. Not that I'm complaining, it gives a good reference for AP.

Frenda page is done, though I'm not sure how to describe the thing she used in C82 to patch her gunshot wounds. Looks similar to what Kuroko used during her fight with Mitori.

Hmm... what do you mean?

She uses some kind of ointment (likely antispetic and/or a painkiller, don't know) and bandages. Does she use something else?

No, that's the thing I meant. Just wondering how to describe it to put it in her list of equipment (and in Kuroko's future page).

Hmmm... possible, though I am suprised that she would use a non-lethal weapon.

Then again she also somehow survived the gigantic explosion of the doll bombs frenda threw after her and that explosion was definitely big enough to be 100% lethal and she survived the drop from that building which is also 100% a lethal height, so maybe there was also some trick involved...

DontTalk said:
Hmmm... possible, though I am suprised that she would use a non-lethal weapon.
Then again she also somehow survived the gigantic explosion of the doll bombs frenda through after her and that explosion was definitely big enough to be 100% lethal and she survived the drop from that building which is also 100% a lethal height, so maybe there was also some trick involved...
i see two possiblities:

1. the char in question has that much luck or 2. her durability is simply that high, i think the bombs can stay the same but the attacked character should get a "possible" in her durability :)

Well the full spoilers are:

Rakko is alive thanks to Boy with Goggles/Yobou Banka and AC medical tech, but she now wears a metal beak-like thing over her face and an eye patch. She also lost her nose, thus her tracking power is gone. Kakine is about to start his operation in Vol 15, Rakko was keen to get back at Frenda (even thinks they are somehow friends now), but Kakine shoots her proposition down, choosing to prioritize the Tweezers mission. She then storms off. Kakine comments they can find many replacements for the likes of her. (And we know what'll happen to the replacement)
The scene then cuts to a week later, so we're past vol 15. Saten is seen unknowingly waiting for Frenda to show up for dinner. She texts Frenda, but does not receive a response. After she hears a knock and excitedly opens the door, she finds Uiharu in a cast instead. Saten then sadly remarks she made too much dinner and invites her in for some.

That's 83.5 (Next chapter is apparently divided into C83.5 and C84), and 84 is back to Mikoto and Misaki again.

@GreatestSin

Nah, there's no way Rakko would get "possibly Wall level", she's a Level 0. I'm up for giving her Peak Human Durability for surviving that, though I'll wait to read the chapter.

^mmhh, since she got injured cant we do a slight variation with "maximum is wall level by which already life threatening injuries surely appear"?

or the third option: im sure in 100 replays of the scenario in different places with different moves and from different ankles rakko will more die than survive, it would make her survivel a outlier and not usable as argument for the downgrade of frendas bombs :)

No, the maximum Durability a character in Toaru can have without esper power/magic/science involved is Peak Human, since it's made pretty clear humans in Toaru can be easily harmed and killed with normal guns and knives. Otherwise we would have upgraded Touma's normal Durability ages ago, since it'd have a lot more than one single incident like this supporting it.

I was mostly joking about the Frenda's bombs downgrade, since I didn't expect Rakko to survive at all. It's best to wait for the chapter (might take a while, though), but it's probably due to a lot of luck, the low power of the small bombs and the Boy with goggles + AC's science combo saving her life. That would only explain the small bombs, though, as DontTalk said there's still the stronger doll bombs and the fall, so if no explanation for that is given it might be best to put it as an outlier.

I mean, the only one involved from the Railgun cast in it is Uiharu at the very end, and the novel already shows her version of the events as she finds Last Order and is interrogated by Kakine, so probably there's nothing much to add to that. If they skipped Remnant and Vento's arcs they were obviously going to to skip this arc too. It would have been nice to see the parts of ITEM fighting SCHOOL we missed because Hamazura wasn't there, but so far ITEM only gets screentime in the manga when it's related to the Railgun cast.

So far the Sisters Arc expanding a LN arc is an exception, as the other arcs are all new events.

Looking at the raws of C83.5, it looks like Rakko uses the beak thing to talk and in one panel you can see the edge of the scars she has under it. So yeah, at least it's pretty obvious there's some lasting damage from the bombs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back