• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Throwing Feats & Speed

Austrian-Man-Meat

VS Battles
Retired
I disagree that throwing feats should not be scaled to the throwers speed, for my reasoning I will provide a comment I posted on Matts blog. It contains some slight adjustments.

Let's say there's a sports movie/comic book; within it, there is a character who manages to throw a javelin so fast that it goes at supersonic speed. Most would say that it only applies towards the attack speed of the character and nothing else, this is what I disagree with. As it would be incredibly wrong to believe the thrower himself contributed absolutely nothing to propel the javelin at supersonic speeds. After all, if we rank this character's combat speed as only "athlete human" we're effectively saying that an athlete would be capable of tossing a javelin at supersonic speed.

Would that apply to hitting an object with another? Like *cough* hitting an apple with a baseball bat at a certain speed?

If I'm not wrong, throwing speed also includes strength. Someone being able to throw something fast isn't necessarly faster than someone throwing it at smaller speed.

Welp, I'm starting to think that scaling the throwing speed to combat speed could not be very accurate: when throwing the person requires some preparation and impulse, something that doesn't tend to do when interchanging punches; and yes, what Saiko said is kinda true, throwing something at high speed is more a strength feat.

Also, I found a document with throwing physics, if we want to find the speed of he arm, whe use w = v/L, where v is the speed of the object and L the length of the arm.

I disagree.

Strength and speed are in fiction held seperate and throwing an object is usually demonstrating strength more than speed.

In essence it is just another form of scaling physical AP to speed (I mean I could apply the same argument to the speed of the rubble from a punch).

DontTalk said:
I disagree.
Strength and speed are in fiction held seperate and throwing an object is usually demonstrating strength more than speed.

In essence it is just another form of scaling physical AP to speed (I mean I could apply the same argument to the speed of the rubble from a punch).
Antoniofer provided a link which ties throwing speed and arm speed together, so to say the athlete's arm moved only 10m/s as he threw the javelin at supersonic speed is a complete misstatement.

Also no it's not, to throw something is different than compressing a rock to the point it releases rubble at a high speed.

Similar you can state that a 10 m/s punch will never hit a wall in such a way that the fragments will fly away with 100 m/s. Follows exactly the same reasoning.

Finding such a relation is just a matter of shortening out the KE at the end (which is what they actually have done) or building around it (using force over distance for example). It really is exactly the same process.

But what about Anton's link? It specifically ties throwing speed and arm speed together as AMM just posted. We can't just ignore that.

Welp, the speed there is written as rad/s, not sure how make it fit in our system, and how I said, that arm speed is via preparation and with impulse (the document is talking about baseball pitchers), that is a speed pretty different that when peple launch punches.

Sera Loveheart said:
But what about Anton's link? It specifically ties throwing speed and arm speed together as AMM just posted. We can't just ignore that.
What I wrote above was a response to that. As said I can create in the same manner a formula for every punching feat in existence in order to scale AP to speed.

It isn't a question of such a relation existing a nature, it is a question of upholding the general agreement not to scale Ap to speed, simply because doing so results in reletivistic+ speed for all city level characters.

I will agree in that case. AP to speed is a heavy topic. We already logically scale AP to durability and striking strength.

Back