• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Vs. Battles Wiki Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
╠ÂP╠Âr╠Âo╠Âb╠Âa╠Âb╠Âl╠Ây╠ ╠Âf╠Âo╠Âr╠ ╠Ât╠Âh╠Âe╠ ╠Âb╠Âe╠Âs╠Ât╠ ╠Ât╠Âb╠Âh╠Â

So there is basically just casual conversation here now? In that case we should probably close this.

There's no need to close this, it's a general discussion and has since it was first created; Not a content revision or any thing. The only reason to close this is if it gets too chaotic. People can say what they want as long as they behave. However, you may unsubscribe if you have any time constraints.

Might be poking a beehive to revive the thread, but the whole shtick about VSBattles being turned into an "unreliable source" is the belief that there is the concrete concept of how a character should be rated in context of vsdebating in the first place. Some people want to explore fictional media with science, others want to take it at face value and say that a character is wall level since that's exactly what you see in the media (like Steve from Minecraft punching trees apart, or Kool-aid man busting a wall open by walking into it).

Character Stats & Profiles wiki is something I've always kept at the back of my mind and is something I would like to look into at some point since it lets different people create profiles for the same exact character, letting them give their ideas on what the stats of a character should be under different contexts. Some people want 1-A Mario, others want to analyze Mario and give you an in-depth description on why he should be 9-B. Many different people hold different viewpoints of the same character.

VSBattles wiki, I would say, was a nice starting point. The community is nice and I've met dope peeps along the way. Ideally, it isn't super hostile and lets others open up to friendly discussion (or heated arguments if you're that person) due to it being over fictional characters fighting one another. CSaP is literally the same thing but pushes the "reliable stats" idea out of the way to explain that gauging fictional characters isn't a 100% objective thing and you can interpret it as you wish. It's a shame other people don't consider it (see: amount of people ******** on x website for not having reliable statistics and being assholes about not agreeing that Mario is an eldritch god that exists in the 11th dimension).

Whether or not VSBW is salvageable is up to you guys. Some of us could just make the jump to CSaP and call it a day.

This is an interesting little bump. Reading back my initial post I find myself occasionally disagreeing with what I had to say, and understanding Sera's points better.

@Zany I agree about there being no objective way to rate characters in the context of vs debating, I think CSaP has an interesting concept behind it, and conceptually is kind of a step in the direction I'd want. And, this may simply be due to my unfamiliarity with the site, but I think the practicalities around its creation may have had it take one step forwards, two steps backwards.

Its Rules and Guidelines page says both that its profiles have to be different from ones on VSBW, and that CSaP is for people whose upgrades/downgrades/additions/removals get rejected from VSBW but who still want to spread their view. Which leads to stuff like their only Ajimu profiles being 1-A, their only Medaka Kurokami profiles being 1-A, etc. I understand that they didn't want to just copy every VSBW profile, but that seems to have unfortunately led to this.

I love the idea of showing how a character's profile would turn out with multiple ways of approaching it (I've considered ways to implement something like this myself), but a site that says it's meant to be interpretations from rejected CRTs taints things more than it helps them, imo.

Ideally, it isn't super hostile and lets others open up to friendly discussion... CSaP is literally the same thing but pushes the...

Again this is a point of unfamiliarity with the site, but how much discussion is there on CSaP? I feel like some of the stuff that pushes discussion on VSBW is how there's one profile. There's a CRT that people will support or oppose, maybe it got created because people discussing a match noticed something missing. I feel like everyone being able to make their own profiles (and presumably make matches with them) would sort of take away some of this. I think a lot of people would discuss things a lot less if they didn't need to convince anyone to have it their way; and could just make their own page.

Well, personally I think that creating many profile pages for every popular character with completely contradictory statistics would turn the wiki far too messy, and that the best we can do is to continue to strive to gradually improve on the reliability of the pages that we already have as much as possible, but that's me.

Anyway, isn't this the old thread that unwisely actively demotivated our community to the point that a few of our staff members quit afterwards? Do we really need something that overall destructive for the cohesion of this community to stay open and continue to cause damage, when we already have several very important unfinished and far more constructive tasks to deal with?

I don't think staff quit specifically over this thread but I feel like it'd be good to close

Oh I definitely agree that creating a page for every interpretation will never be feasible on VSBW. When I was speaking about my personal ideal I was thinking about projects like, me and some really knowledgeable people on a series were planning to create an infodump on everything about the verse; from trivia to plot explanations to indexing of character's fighting capabilities. If I could manage the formatting well, I would like to include all viable interpretations of their feats from all canons. I obviously don't think something like that is fitting for VSBW. (If I had the time I might end up doing something like this for other verses on my user page though).

This is just a general discussion thread, I still hold that it's fine to keep open, it's not like tasks are meant to be done here, it's more along the lines of casual talk that happens often off-site anyway, I'm okay with it being more visible like this.

I remember that I had to talk some of them out of quitting afterwards at least, so this is a very destructive thread, and things like this should never be created in any case.

I don't think staff quit specifically over this thread but I feel like it'd be good to close
Agreed in any case. I would even prefer to delete this thread in fact. It isn't exactly spreading Christmas cheer.

I would vote against deleting this thread.

Lock it if you must, but I think the OP is worth reviewing in a future time when we can be a bit more critical about some of the Wiki's standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back