• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Vs. Battles Wiki Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sera_EX

She Who Dabbles in Fiction
VS Battles
Retired
Greetings my friends, the time has finally come for my constantly teased critique addressing some of the problems I've noticed in the site, since joining in 2016. I've given a lot of thought to this, especially after discussions with other people. Unfortunately, This is a drastically simplified version of the original 18,000+ word critique. Since the original was too long and often got ill-mannered at points, I've shortened it significantly and rewrote a lot of my points. However, I am a busy woman with a lot on her plate so I apologize if some of this seems incomplete and reads weird or messy at points as the result. I just want to get my point across. If I lost you, read the summary as it generalizes the whole critique.

Before we get started though, here are some important things it is imperative to remember as you're reading the critique:

1. The following is at the end of the day, my personal opinion. It's not objective by any means, and I'm perfectly fine with disagreements. I only ask that you do not take personal offense to anything I say. While I have not named anyone personally, if you happen to fall into one of the groups of people I discuss, it is not a personal attack on you. I address mentalities and why they are bad for the site's endgame goal of reliability, not as a means of pointing out a personal flaw or bad trait of an individual.
  2. I am no exception to some of the things I am critiquing, so I am criticizing myself alongside everyone else. Please don't think I believe for a second that I am immune to the criticisms I'm making. Quite the opposite.
  3. I am primarily focusing on the reliability of stats and pages. This is about community effort and management, not community drama. The drama is better left for a separate critique.
VS Battle - The Most (Un)reliable Vs Debating Site
Before you get upset (remember, mind #2 of the disclaimer), I don't think VSB is the most unreliable vs site. In fact, we're likely still in many ways the most reliable since most others don't have actual profiles with stats like we do and the vast majority that do are copycats of either OBD or us (funny since we were formerly OBD and ACF copycats…) No, we are currently the "best of a bad situation", which really shows how forked vs debating is when you think about it. So what's the problem with our stats? Aren't they better than ever? Well, it's not a "yes" or "no" answer. We do have an undeniably more accurate tier system but we barely apply it in any meaningful way. How many profiles have calcs to back up their claims? Any stat that isn't from a blatantly obvious feat or power-scaling needs a calc to back it up. Whatever happened to all that math we're so proud of? Does that only apply to Low 2-C and above? Yes

What happened? How did it come to this? Well...for lack of a better term? Inflation. "Inflation" in relation to our site occurs when we have so many different people, with so many different opinions, making pages for so many different things, that due to our "overstaffed but understaffed" paradox (which I'll get into in a minute), many CRTs are accepted through a "passable statements, but not permissible feats" lens. Meaning: Upgrades are now, more than ever before, accepted due to simply "looking okay" if there's enough statements or second hand information (such as WoG or guidebooks) to pass as acceptable, rather than using objective feats, powerscaling, and calculations to determine stats, and only relying on statements as supportive evidence - statements are used as primary evidence to justify anything that has a modicum of possibility, regardless if it's even consistent or not.

This happens, almost unconsciously, because the sheer number of content revisions (mostly upgrades rather than downgrades) keeps increasing without limit. The more CRTs there are, the less time people will devote to them due to having to worry about nine other CRTs about the same verse. Their judgment gets partially suspended and rather than stop to ask themselves how this holds up from a more logical based conclusion. This continued until it became the normal practice of the site. We're basically Statements Battles Wiki now. Every character is treated as a reliable source for the most trivial reasons. "Goku is a martial arts master, so everything he says in regards to fighting must be reliable". Yeah. Never mind that he is a fictional character with no true agency, who is susceptible to bad and inconsistent writing like the plot, right? As long as there's at least a statement to back something up, our community seem to be satisfied.

How many featless characters are treated as OP powerhouses in vs threads or general discussions despite not even fighting another character before? As we speak, even powerscaling itself is starting to be dismissed in favor of statements too. Never mind Character A actually fighting on par with Character B to officially scale to B's stats. So long as Character A is stated by Character C to have once made Character B sweat (offscreen), A is scaling. What logic is this?

The site has now accepted quantity over quality in a nutshell. The result? Vs. Battles has become a trashcan for the recycled high-balls and wank no other site takes seriously. We've become a meme.

The Cause
What caused this so-called "inflation"? Well, it's a long story and a sensitive one. However, if laid out (to the best of my ability) you might be able to see how it all connects. In general though, we've gotten too big for our shoes. In page number, discussions, members, everything. I'm going to describe all the contributing factors to this inflation.

WAY Too Many Pages
Probably the most contributing factor to the site's unreliability via hyper-inflation is we have too many pages. Seriously, the more pages we have the more CRTs are made. The more CRTs get made, the less time is devoted to them as previously explained. This wouldn't be so bad if we didn't allow anything with a story to be eligible for profit-making status here. Allowing the most obscure verses hardly anyone has ever heard of to be allowed here also creates the gatekeeping effect where only "knowledgeable members" can actually verify the stats with further context. For lower tiers this can work since we still have calcs to help us (when observed correctly) but not so much for higher tiers. Obscure high tiered verses need to be banned. Period. Things like the Masadaverse should have nothing more than its translated material accepted for profile creation (Dies irae, not Kajiri Kamui Kagura). Why stop there? Deleting any pages without calculations (unless the feats are straightforward, are incalculable, or are based in powerscaling). Sadly, the staff honestly believe that because "one of the reasons our site is so popular is because of our number of pages" that we should just accept having well over 20k pages despite most being suspicious. Really? Quantity over quality. That's what we care about? Qwynbleidd was right. Matt was right. We need less pages.

Too Many CRTs
With more verses comes more CRTs about those verses. Never mind the fact that some people make multiple CRTs for the same verse at once, we still have too many CRTs without that. This results in less care and effort being put into the, as I've said many times before. Consequently, poor judgment is used to quickly deal with these threads to move onto the next one. This poor judgment rubbed off on our regular members and when newer members join, they accept it as the norm. CRTs when from "scans of feats and calculations" to "how many in-universe, author, and guidebook statements can we use to make this sound legit?" How many Dragon Ball threads mention the Daizenshuu before anything else? That's a problem. All of this stuff is secondary evidence used to support the primary evidence that is feats. Higher (or lower results) are primarily yielded through calcs, a clarification of context, etc. We should always however, start with the basics. Also, we need to decrease the amount of CRTs, specifically upgrades. It shouldn't matter if you think downplaying is worse than wanking or they are equal, downplaying doesn't result in unreliable stats so long as the methods used to determine our stats stay consistent throughout all characters. It's a shame that downgrades are more controversial than they've ever been before.

Calc and Powerscaling Abuse
In addition to the increase in upgrade threads, is the occasional abuse of calcs and powerscaling. Calcs are important and a necessary asset, but as much as I brag about them in this critique, they are far from perfect. Some people clearly have abused their ability to calc to get the highest result possible. Of course there's calc-stacking, but this here is done Nito by calc-stacking. But by re-calcing the same feat over and over again. Obito shooting a fireball jutsu across the shinobi war zone (not an actual feat just using it as an example) should not be re-calced so many times that it yields and even higher result than before. No one finds it suspicious how a feat goes from 5-C to High 4-C just by re-calcs? Even despite the massive difference between the tiers? "But Sera" I hear you say, "if the calc is legit, what can we do about it"? Well...are they legit? Lately, I've been seeing some questionable calcs get passed simply by someone (usually our overworked bureaucrat Antvasima) and maybe one calc member saying it "looks okay". That's it. Most others who accept the calc are regular users, many of whom are supporters of the verse. Hmm… is there some sort of… connection there ƒæÇ? As for powerscaling, as I've stated before, we've went from powerscaling via feats of consistent comparable prowess to powerscaling via statements of comparable prowess (some of which of off-handed or have no context behind them), or even worse, statements of conceived comparable prowess (conceived not by the character making the statement, but of the debater making the claim of scaling). We gotta stop being so lazy and additionally stop treating every statement from a fictional character with no agency as reliable just because it makes sense in-universe.

Too Many Staff Members
It pains me to say it, but we have too many staff members (although ironically, we don't have enough at the same time). Allow me to explain.

For those who are unaware, in Vs Battles, the staff are essentially those who have a mutual sense of trust between each other and thus their word carries a more weight in a discussion such as a CRT, Wiki Management, etc. This is undoubtedly necessary because if we left all endgame decision making to the whole community. Given that we currently have the largest number of active members in any fandom community, we need staff to serve as those that hold down the fort more so than other wikias.

However, it is often exaggerated at how "reliable" staff can be. Yes, staff can be more reliable in different areas but nowadays it seems that becoming staff is trivial. I don't even take staff drives seriously anymore. Most staff member candidates are those who posted a lot in discussion threads and have no bad rep, which is fine, but others (no offense to them) seem to have been recommended due to agreeing with some staff in big named verses like Marvel.

This brings me to my main point as to why we have too many staff members. Unless I miss counted, we have somewhere along the lines of 73 staff members. Of those staff members, how many can you say actually participate in and help bring down the Hammer of Judgment in a CRT? The way the site was supposedly managed was that discussion mods and admins mostly help out with CRTs. Do they? The only staff member to actually walk into a CRT regardless of their familiarity on the topic is Antvasima. DarkDragonMedeus and AKM sama do come close. The rest of us mostly handle the verses we are comfortable with/are knowledgeable on. This is unfortunate because as I stated before, the number of upgrades are increasing.

Why do we need 70+ staff members, especially discussion moderators, when the three most prominent CRT reviewers are two administrators and one bureaucrat? (Colonel Krukov and VenomElite used to do review nearly all CRTs as well but the former has returned as an Image Helper while the latter has retired). This is a problem because most administrators are promoted from discussion mod positions. That is very off base considering discussion mods seemingly do the least work in their actual field (not overall, don't misquote me) and this is coming from an ex discussion mod who ascended to admin and then consultant. I'm not jabbing at the discussion mods alone either, I'm aware there's content mods, image helpers etc. since given that all staff members are deemed these "trusted and reliable members", you'd expect in this Age of Upgrades that there'd be more an effort from staff of all kinds, even content mods (I get you guys later) to help with all these darn CRTs.

Also, I know the person matters a lot more than the position (mostly), as Bambu for example is a great example of a discussion-mod-turned-admin. Regardless, becoming staff is now an inevitability for any long-running member here who participates in enough CRTs and doesn't have a bad record.

So what about the admins? Well the thing is, some f the old admins were a "Jack of all Trades" of sorts. Gwynbleidd, Darkanine, and Kavpeny (a bureaucrat yes but still an admin) were CRT reviewers, content mods, handled calcs, and had some technical skills as well. They met many of the site's needs, not just "often had a good argument in a CRT". This shouldn't be an objective requirement for adminship, but how many current admins even work on pages anymore? And how many actually calc? The latter is extremely important in the tier system section below, so the "overstaffed but understaffed" paradox VBW is is detrimental to our site's unreliability.

We have too many staff who do what any regular member can do. Most don't review CRTs other than those of verses the like or are knowledgeable on. Let's go back to assuming good faith in the community, and let those with good arguments be trusted members, not just colored names. Staff should be decreased in number and be managers of the site only.

The Community's Role
People love high stats. But rather than be honest about it, we have a load of arguments about the intentions of others. The staff have lost the ability to assume good faith in their community (which is the ultimate recipe for a wiki's downfall) while the community seems to get increasingly bothered by the staff's importance and generally tend to assume their goal is to downplay. Staff = downplay. Community = Wank. Anyone with sense knows this is complete BS. Yes, we are drowning in overhyped stats/wank but the fault is everyone's to bear. The staff have lost their spine and aspects of the community (subconsciously) capitalize on that to continue the inflation. That's right, this schism didn't start the inflation, but it's sustaining it.

The community had its role to play in this too. I'm happy that we're a lot more open than we were back in the day and I appreciate opinions from many different perspectives. But, similar to an open-border policy (this is not a political argument, just pay attention), when there's an influx of individuals from all over the net (mostly from G+ tbh), the prioritization of "the most consistent high-ball became clear. Why? Because the guys who came here from Downplay City didn't last long. Mostly due to their attitudes towards the site. This means we have a lot more high-ballers coming into town and staying than low-ballers. The inflation spoken of previously didn't really start getting ridiculous until after the shutdown of Google+. Trust me, that is no simple coincidence.

What did I mean by the community subconsciously doing this? Well due to how they've been indoctrinated to accept as minimal evidence as possible to believe something is legitimate and the majority staff being MIA during these critical moments of said indoctrination. When the blue names see the colored names blatantly accepting minimal evidence as legit, they will do the same. It's quite simple. Yes, some regulars stand up and say "No, that's not right" but think about the newer members and not the seasoned ones or staff lites. Plus a lot of these seasoned members got indoctrinated too along the way.

Prioritization of the OP, the Philosophical, and the Technical
Thanks to reality being boring and many people suffering from Chuuni syndrome, the site is constantly discussing the OP and the impressive. Feats? Nah that's boring, but that one author that explains everything in a neoplatonic fashion that just sounds so cool? E p i c. Who cares about carefully calculated stats when we have conceptual attacks bypassing all durability? Look, these things are cool, yes, but they are just part of a spectrum. To prevent inflation, we need to stop fawning over hax and go back to the basics every once in a while. A little balance is all we need. At the end of the day...this is just fiction. Authors create this art that can be interpreted in many different ways. Just because Platonic concepts are technically 1-A, doesn't mean they should be at the slightest mention of them. The same argument was used against string theory and dimensions, so it applies here. No one cares about Many-Valued Logic, no one cares about Metaphysics. All that stuff takes the backseat from the linearly measurable and the physically observed. Platonic guy blowing up a planet just blew up a planet, you're not getting 1-A out of that. We have to stop prioritizing fancy concepts just because they sound inconceivably overpowered, in reality, they just might be hyperbole or flowery language fluff with no actual merit.

The New Tier System is Sorta Worthless
One of the best things to come out in recent times was the new system….or so I thought. The idea of an "objective" system sounds good, but no system matters more than how it is applied by its arbiters. What has the new system done except allow for more Tier 0s and put an end to the godawful assumption that any mention of higher dimensions = a larger verse than one that doesn't? Well...given how the inflation increases without end long after the new system was put in place, I'd say nothing. The intent behind a new system was all wrong, once again the result of caring too much about the obscure and niche high tiers. This goes back to a lack of prioritization of things that actually matter in favor of the more obscure and less important aspects of the system. Rather than prioritize the more feat-based tiers, you know the ones most often associated with vs debating, the site decided to prioritize Tiers 1 and 0. That didn't really make a difference to stop the main problem though. We need balance. I'll go into more detail about the new system in another thread.

Summary
Our wiki has become drastically unreliable due to inflation. This inflation was born out of poorly handled CRTs being accepted by merely having the most minuscule evidence possible for lower tiers and the most impressive hyperbolic description for higher tiers - where a result of the number of CRTs (Upgrades) increasing and the number of people subscribing to the staff's poor judgment of these upgrades further increasing. Poor judgment which sprang from an over reliance on statements, interviews, and guidebooks over feats, calculations and powerscaling. And a new system which despite all its claims of being "objective and mathematically accurate", has done little to mitigate it.

This was all caused by and is being prolonged by:

1. Having too many pages due to our staff's pitiful unwillingness to cull the number of pages in favor of our popularity and fear of workload. We value quantity over quality.

2.Having too many CRTs to manage our 25k pages. The vast majority of CRTs nowadays are upgrades, proving that the community at large values the most consistent high-ball.

3. Calculations (arguably one of the best tools at our disposal) are not checked and reviewed as they are supposed to be. Most calcs I've seen recently just get an "this looks okay" from normal members and staff that aren't even calc members.

4. Powerscaling being abused as well. A good deal of powerscaling is now hardly from if a character can consistently compete with whom they scale to, but if there's any minute statement to back it up.

5. Having too many staff members despite only a few actually doing what they are positioned for, and some having admittedly lost interest (just retire then). Having this many staff is unneeded as mass editing is a community effort or can be done by bots. Despite not needing over 70 staff, we still do.

6. The staff having lost their ability to assume good faith in regular members due to the scars of our past filled with vandalism and trolling, and since the staff are the "trusted members" this leaves the community at large feeling invalid in comparison, due to having not as important enough input in a discussion.

7. The schism between the staff and community continuously prolongs the inflation of our stats and pages, and thus our unreliability increases.

8. The community over-emphasizing higher tiers, as evidenced with the new system not actually being implemented in such a way that solves the inflation problem despite being marketed as "objective and mathematically accurate". We also over-emphasize philosophical mumbo jumbo that sounds impressive and try to use that as evidence for these higher tiers. 1-A Platonic concepts dozens of types of powers that really aren't that complicated come to mind.

Thank you for reading and I hope you understand my concerns, at least to some extent.

I agree with a significant amount of this, having been a member here (although on a former account) since 2016 as well.

Read the whole thing. Won't respond for a while since this is huge and I'm doing other stuff, and I also think a lot of stuff just isn't feasible to change all at once especially with the impending forum move. (Yes I know you said that yourself.) Nice to see suggested solutions actually outlined with complaints though, even if I have points of contention.

She's perfectly capable of doing that if she wants

I'm glad that I listened to your TED talk.

In all seriousness, you know from the jump that I agree with most of what you said. I've noticed this for a while, as the wiki's priorities have changed drastically from 2016 to now. And yes, there'll be a good amount of you calling me boomer for that, but now's not the time. And I've been saying for years that feats are > statements, but now statements are everywhere. With the staff thing, we're not going to demote people when not doing anything wrong, so while I can't say if you're right or wrong on that (you're right) in fear of sounding like I don't respect some people, I can say that the likelihood of us having less than 70 staff without any retirements isn't gonna happen any time soon. I'll respond to other bits bit by bit.

And I know there'll be people clamoring for this to be closed. Let the woman have her thread, as this is something that needs to be said. If you feel attacked from this that didn't mention anyone specific at all, then it's likely that you're part of it. I know for a fact that I am, and my responsibilities back in 2016-2017 we're much higher than they are as of today.

Pretty valid points across the board, until you get to some very specific parts where, as you know, I tend to disagree with just about everything; I'll elaborate on this.

That said, I feel like this thread was pretty poorly timed and shouldn't have been posted at this exact moment in time, to be honest.

I agree with a good chunk of these concerns, as well (although not necessarily all of them, but I digress) in spite of my own doubts about this thread that I already expressed off-site. That you actually took the time to type out your opinions regarding the wiki and is actually attempting to do something about it is... respectable, to say the least.

I fully disagree with you in many different ways, mainly the whole not having as many obscure/niche verses thing because I work on many of those and I find ridiculous the idea of deleting 4/5 of Masada's work, but this was an interesting read nevertheless.

The Wright Way said:
Not picking sides and I honestly don't know if anything will come of this. I'm here for the discussion.
I'm not expecting any immediate change. This is me expressing my concerns and offering some advice for the future. I won't be here forever.

That's it. Most others who accept the calc are regular users, many of whom are supporters of the verse. Hmm… is there some sort of… connection there ƒæÇ?

Yes. VSBW is a group of criminals who cooperate with each other to upgrade or downgrade their favorite and the verse they hate the most, respectively.

Joking, but I really think that something like that happens. "Hmm, I am an admin, I don't like X verse so I will not approve any upgrades". Retired admins did this a lot and even current staff members do this.

I agree that there are a lot of problems that need to be fixed. I too am always trying really hard to remain warm, friendly, and welcoming within the community. I'm actually quite friendly towards those who treat me right or legit try to reason with me without being aggressive. While always working hard to make sure all statistics are accurate. I also always do ensure that my personal like or dislike towards a verse or character is never having any bit of correlation for how they should be rated. It's always heavily case by case, and that both the math and logic are both accurate, and/or it's consistent with the feats in each verse. Though, it doesn't stop people from trying to paint me or other people as the bad guy.

Another problem is just the term for Outliers gets thrown around. Yes, there are verses who try to argue Outliers and PIS don't exist, while there are others who exaggerate our standards for outliers based on "It's a one time feat that's far above every other feat in the verse" without actually addressing the in depth context. It's more about context, legitimacy, reason, or consistency with progression rather than big gaps or frequency. A character going from stomping a bunch of Tier 9 fodder to fighting toe to toe with Tier 2 God Tiers through massive amounts of training among other things is legit. Where as a random gag Tier 5 feat performed by a character who has consistent Tier 7 feats or fights Tier 7 characters would be more of an example of an outlier.

I also agree that staff members who barely do anything nowadays should probably step down as they can barely be called staff members. There is the three month inactivity deadline they may need to be given to some. While at the same time, there have been a few staff members who either focused more their personal verses while being belittling or condescending regarding other verses, or have lost the ability to stay civil. Some of them were demoted, but not going to say their names. And even a few Human Resource Group members haven't actually done the best to deal with Drama. Which I won't say any names again, but they've sometimes not always analyzed or looked at things that were actually ban worthy or saw were some other not as bad members were coming from. People should either take a break to cool off, or step down if they noticed they get extremely aggressive with other staff members or non-troll users. However, I'm against forcing staff to step down unless they've legit been causing more harm then good with little to no remorse for it.

Also, it is quite serious that people do need help if they deal with massive amounts of stress, anxiety, or depression. Or something even worse than that... I'm here for people who struggle with any of that stuff as I have personally dealt with those things too and have at least tried helping out with many others who deal with that. The wiki nor other Vs debating community is ever going to be flawless no matter what we do. And yes, just about all Vs debating communities are toxic. But this is the best of the worst. It's the only Vs Debating community I have ever felt more than just a Vs debating site. But also a place to meet good friends. Not at all like Google+ which it getting shut down was one of the many causes of massive growths and quantity and massive drops in quality.

Anyway, It was good that this thread was made to address the numerous problems. And I also hope this helps many others as well.

So, I read over this post, and while I agree with a fair few and disagree with some smaller points, there's something I'm actually interested in hearing, Sera - (or anyone else who wants to input, for that matter!)

How do we fix these problems?

There's a lot of bullshit on this wiki, a lot of poor profiles, a lot of terrible abuses to wank characters to higher power, but simply agreeing won't do anything on it's own.

What can we do?

I definitely agree with a lot of this. Especially the tier when it comes to low 2C.

Only thing I don't believe can actually be implemented is a way to fix CRTs. Naturally CRTs will always get made for new series and on going series, because of the fact that new feats will most likely get introduced. I do agree there is a problem with how CRTs are carried out. I've been here since 2016? Probably 2015 and I can say definitely that the way things are did now aren't correct. Most of this is tied in with new users

Moritzva said:
So, I read over this post, and while I agree with a fair few and disagree with some smaller points, there's something I'm actually interested in hearing, Sera - (or anyone else who wants to input, for that matter!)

How do we fix these problems?

There's a lot of bullshit on this wiki, a lot of poor profiles, a lot of terrible abuses to wank characters to higher power, but simply agreeing won't do anything on it's own.

What can we do?
Some advice is literally in the thread itself.

I'm probably part of the issue when it comes to the Staff Paradox, since I've only got time to revise a few verses I'm connected to and helping other verses (Gunvolt, Yugioh, Godzilla, etc) without admin support. The only times I'm really avaliable is Summer and the various breaks, and I don't mind losing the status, but oh boy, RIP whoever has to continue the PMMM revisions.

On answering the issue, well, I did always fancy a 'reset' on the wiki. Or create a "Conservative Battles Wiki" where the profiles are explicitly lowballed to strict standards, where the length of the series and the amount of feats needed to prove a tiering has a relationship, that would be cool. Might downgrade a lot of comic / video game verses though.

I'd also like further explanations on abilties, something like ACF.

I have my own gripes with calcs, feel like a commonsense approach is rather needed these days.

We should also steal flairs to separate lowball prone people from high ballers

If there's one point I'd like to first adress, it's the system part. Was pretty sure that the reason for the new system was to properly tier Outerversal and above tiers, and hence have better indexing. So in that sense, I'm relatively sure it did its job properly. To some extent at least.

CRTs not being done right is a matter I think that is separate from this.

A good amount of words, from which I can agree with a few.

One of the main problems is about the new metaphysical aspect of the system, since the system changed now people do not longer look for dimensional statements, now they can't hear the words "concept", "abstract" or "embodiment" without jumping to absurd conclusions.

Like, diving Concept Manipulation and Abstract Existence (last one specially which I personally have issues with) into types to determinate what concept is more conceptual than the other and absurd stuff like that; does it really matter what Plato siad about them? He is long dead, and pretty sure 90% of the auther that use that kind of stuff do not really cares neither, concepts aren't a real thing, authors can define it with the properties they desires.

And yes, the reason why I leave the Calc Group, a bunch of calculations that hardly counts as calcs, they try to convince you that ripping a jaw is 100 tons just cuz the calc say so while in reality ripping a head is at most 1.6 tons, that destroying a moon can be large planet, angsizing a creature moving in a screen from panel to inner panel and obtain hundreds of meters. I would expect people to at use the common sense when calculating, that's why is more reasonable to simply eyeball.

I think more CRTs faster is a good thing.

Remember 2-3 years ago where it would literally take years for a big name verse like Naruto to get a single CRT off the floor?

Let's not go back to those days.

@SomebodyData ironically, it's all the less active Admins that tend to be more friendly on the other hand. So that is a plus in your case.

Okay, now a totally serious comment with the aim of adding even more to the point about "conspiracy" or whatever.

What we've done in the past few years was practically nerf and upgrade characters just to balance the game. See, this is all part of ridiculous fandoms fights. Fans of work X, cannot stand to see work Y gaining upgrades, and therefore, start doing everything to reject it just out of ridiculous rivalry.

I know of examples of members who agree with everything they propose for X work, but reject things for work Y (Even though things are similar and have identical bases). This happens with Marvel, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach and many other franchises. But that will never change until members realize that what they do is quite the opposite of helping the Wiki, they are making it worse. This is only resolved by prohibiting X members from commenting on Y works, or, in the worst case, banning them.

The problem isn't only the staff, but normal members like us should be more responsible with what we do here

Ionliosite said:
I fully disagree with you in many different ways, mainly the whole not having as many obscure/niche verses thing because I work on many of those and I find ridiculous the idea of deleting 4/5 of Masada's work, but this was an interesting read nevertheless.
This mostly sums up my thoughts about this. While I agree with quite a few of Sera's points, I definitely dont agree on not allowing verses that are (by all intents and purposes) obscure. Just because a franchise isnt as popular as your typical Dragon Ball or Naruto, or multiple long-time verses, doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed. I obviously agree that if a verse has next to nothing known about it or it's basic capabilities, and no one's willing to actually cover it's material, it shouldn't be allowed to take up space here.

But just like Sera complained in her post, the regulars in this community (myself included of course) need to step up and do more for it. That would include covering these so called "obscure verses" that people attempt to add to the site but later run away from it's development. So it goes both ways. Anyone should be allowed to add any verse (within the obvious critera of our site) they want to our site, so long as they actually consistently work on it.

Your's truly is currently working on adding a verse that very few people here (from who IK) have ever heard about, let alone actually watched. This verse is very notable in capabilities and easily fits the requirements of what we, and our site, dubs a "notable verse". But because of being pre-occupied with other verses, and real life circumstances like college, I've been forced to walk away from it's transition to the site. I fully intend to change this ASAP to live up to the words im telling all of you right now.

Sera EX said:
Some advice is literally in the thread itself.
A few snippits on behavioral changes surely couldn't assist in mending such great gaps in so many categories.

The day obscure verses are banned, is the day i leave this site.

That's practically most of what i make here. Some ppl like rereading and making crt's over and over for their fav popular verse, while i dabble in everything.

As long as stuff is properly sourced with proof for everything, it shouldn't be an issue, though i also find high tiered verses without translations problematic.

It's why i don't like putting anything on profiles that's untranslated, cause i can't just point to it and say here is the proof of what i am asserting.

That said it is an issue that people only pay attention to CRT's for their verses, even i am guilty of this though i do occasional comment on stuff i have no knowledge of.

I also find calcs being redone for popular verses over and over extremly annoying especially when other ppl need stuff calc and don't get it, hence why i started calc myself.

I think I've seen an exact thread like this on reddit like maybe a year or 2 ago before I joined, from a guy who claimed to be staff before.

I can say I can agree with most of your points especially the bit on calcs and the number of active staff you'll see compared to how many there actually are. Although it is a bit concerning if people are getting staff positions for just being knowledgeable on marvel and agreeing with the right people.

big kudos. 100% agree. honestly, the lack of motivation to get things right using logic and common sense and realiable sources is a ******* joke. the calcs that are often... ridiculous to look as well. we had to redo more or less every calc for one the verses here at one point. not to mention the overdoing of the same things over and over and over again (look at u, bleach). the scaling is utter nonsense, but maybe for different reasons then u seem to list. thanks for making this.

I'm not suggesting we demote any staff

I'm not saying to delete obscure verses

I was attempting to explain a problem and how we got there, with some advice to help mitigate it in the future

There is, mostly, NOTHING we can do about the overall state of the wiki and it isn't that big a deal since this is mostly just my opinio

I just wanted to let you guys know my concerns before I depart for good. I won't be here forever.

I don't think people are reading the 'friendly discussion' tag well enough.

Sera brings a lot of valid points to the table. No site is perfect, and Sera is simply putting out some ideas on ways that the wiki could improve.

A simple yet effective way to address some of the staff issues is to increase the amount of overlapping staff knowledge so that CRTs that are pretty important can get a lot of knowledgeable discussion going without just a few staff hopping into a thread to say 'seems legit' without any further discourse (or, on the other end, two single staff members bickering publicly with one another and attempting to insinuate the other is mistaken instead of a calm discussion with a good conclusion); a lot of the issues stated seem to really boil down to that, a lack of keeping CRTs accountable.

Nothing is gonna change overnight, it's simply something to mull around, discuss, and keep on keepin' on to improve the wiki in an everyday manner.

Simply put: great post, lots of food for thought even if people disagree, and hopefully people try to takeaway something they can do to help improve the wiki from it. I like it.

I agree, no staff is going to get a forced demotion. And no verse is getting hakai'd because of this. It's just to raise awareness to the omnidirectional problems so that they can at least be toned down bit by bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back