• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Unwritten: The Leviathan Tier Upgrade

Sandman31

VS Battles
Retired
The god tiers of The Unwritten that currently has profile on the wiki should be upgraded to High 1-A after the recent Tiering System revision. SUMMARY: The hiearchy of worlds is likely an infinite outerversal hierarchy and even if its not it is still an infinite reality-fiction hierarchy which is transcended not just by the Leviathan but also by his entire species which has an infinite hierarchy with the Leviathan being the final whale that contains and transcends all of them so still High 1-A.

THE HIERARCHY OF WORLDS/STAIRWELL OF THE WORLDS
The hierarchy of world is basically an infinite/endless hierarchy of stories that is inside the Leviathan

https://www.cbr.com/commentary-track-carey-gross-on-the-unwritten-apocalypse-1/

Carey: What we're doing is that we've picked up on what Tom has learned from the "Unwritten Fables" arc. There is a crucial scene at the end of the arc where he is talking to Frau Totenkinder, and she basically challenges his superficial distinction reality and fiction and says, "It's not really like that." The stairwell of the world has no top and no bottom. You can't imagine that your world is somehow more privileged over all of these other worlds. As we go into "Apocalypse," Tom is trying to make his way back home to his reality, his baseline

The hierarchy was stated to be infinite/endless/has no top or bottom

"....And I will enter the endless spaces he enclosed. The worlds you think of as stories"

"Or does the stairways of the worlds go on forever with no top or bottom?"

"A home of infinite size and extent and majesty as befits of our status" ..."But I can't help being uneasy beloved. Everything will be so different after you've conquered these other worlds and universes"

"If every story is true, then whats the real wold? Just one of the red kings dreams?

"stories told by stories made up by the stories to whom we are only stories"

"They're fables. From another place, another world. Stories told by stories made up by the stories to whom we are only stories"

The worlds are stacked upon each other

"Worlds upon worlds, stacked upon each other like tiers of some vast wedding cake"

Composition of the stories/worlds

The stories exist in story spaces

Each story is written on a page. An unwritten page is space of non-being where time doesn't exist

Each of these stories has a narrative channel, domain of pure concept which is the source of the story's concept/words. By taking control of the narrative channel you can essentially control that story

. Even the concept of dimensions, or the narrative channel, or the unwritten pages are completely irrelevant to the characters that resides in the upper world stories.

An example of this is how Wilson Taylor wrote the Tommy Taylor series where there are mages who can "add entire dimensions to physical space" and resides in "hyperplanes". The world of Tommy Taylor exist but it exists in a lower story and is nothing but fiction to the higher world where Wilson Taylor resides.

It's also possible for a story to contain its own hierarchy of stories

-The Tommy Taylor series (which is just fiction to the "main reality") contain its own hierarchy of stories

"stories told by stories made up by the stories to whom we are only stories"

The story of the Unwritten now only exists as fiction

The new world where The Unwritten now only exists as a story is also just another story

When you read the comic it might appear that the reality of Tommy Taylor is the "reality" while the other stories are just stories. Its not, it only appears that it is because it is the "baseline" reality of Tom

Mike Carey: As we go into "Apocalypse," Tom is trying to make his way back home to his reality, his baseline

Furthermore stories/worlds/story spaces also have different spaces that makes them up

• Words/The narrative channel/Domain of pure concept
What makes up a story are words. These words function like concept. Words keeeps the story going. These words originates from the story's narrative channel, which is a space/domain of pure concept, taking control of a story's narrative channel allows you to have control over that story.

The stories exist in story spaces

Each of these stories has a narrative channel, domain of pure concept which is the source of the story's concept/words. By taking control of the narrative channel you can essentially become the writer of that story

These spaces/stories exists on the page. The page is a vastness of non-being where time doesn't exist. It is the ultimate non-being, the anti-thesis of essence and existence

. Even the concept of dimensions, or the narrative channel, or even the unwritten pages (As shown by Paully not being erased by being in the unwritten page of a lower story) are completely irrelevant to the characters that resides in the upper world stories.

The Leviathan and some other stuff/Leviathans species/Another hierarchy
The Leviathan contains and transcends the hierarchy of the worlds. "....And I will enter the endless spaces he enclosed. The worlds you think of as stories"

it has been mentioned several times that everything is just something like a dream for the Leviathan.

"But Anselm spoke of "a conciousness behind the world and the word, greater than both"

And Hegel of "the mind so vast it has no boundary, and therefore bleeds perforce into our own"

The Thing I'd seen--it was too real. Too solid. It made the world seem like a dream. Like a bubble stirred in the water. All of us. Just bubbles"

Also, The Leviathan doesnt just contains the hierarchy of worlds/stories. He also contains a hierarchy of his own species inside him.

Theres more than one Leviathan. In fact theres an entire specie /ecosystem of them. The Leviathan is just the most "primal" whale in the infinite hiearchy and contains this hierarchy inside him as well.

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/u...294551/6969685-screenshot_20190615-181126.jpg

"That there is an ecosystem. Yes"

"Leviathans species can be symbiotic, predatory, or parasitic. His imminent death leaves a gap in the food chain. And so they come"

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/u...itten 043 (2013) (digital-empire)mscm9mbf.jpg

"Imagine a sort of infinite cetacean regression. So long as the final whale was big enough to contain whole worlds"

Even the young/fry of Leviathan's species were powerful enough to almost destroy the hierarchy of worlds and can survive its destruction like nothing

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/VRk5SUQUE...NiNsdzNJ1kGdzLjURT0TQyd83ObV_e450npAflg=s1600

"Humanity has picked up a parasite. The young of Leviathans species, nesting in our minds and tearing the walls of reality. You need to kill them so the world will hold together long enough for Leviathan to heal"

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/yxWKSSp9x...Po5qxVxhUPrkXy6zPdQzbUnEOLbTPX9jYvHA70w=s1600

"The Darkness will swallow up the land but this tower will endure"

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/J5vuaHurv...JNKeY38coCHZp9AjJwcBS5AvechYc9z4db4QKlQ=s1600

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/J5vuaHurv...JNKeY38coCHZp9AjJwcBS5AvechYc9z4db4QKlQ=s1600

"If he wins the world ends"

"A world ends. For me, and for mine, that will not be so great a tragedy"

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/UCqXI_vvf...WSpJssMUULDaZDypDV42yLUgsbn-k30o5lCgt4A=s1600

"The fry of Leviathan.."

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/30pImhPPu...n6L3NQ_yyVRLSA58i67DBg7n5NKa-ZDrk9YuqQg=s1600

"Do you understand now? We dont live in your world. The rules are what we make them"

This is definitely 1-A+, but I am not sure whether or not it is High 1-A. It might be best if you ask Ultima in order to make sure.

The statement about hyperplanes and mages adding new directions to physical space is sort of vague, but it does show that the Unwritten treats the difference between each layer in the hierarchy as greater than a dimensional-like difference, which is what we default to anyways, and considering how stories work in the verse, as far as I've seen, I could see it being used as evidence for the Stairway of Stories being an Infinite 1-A Hierarchy.

Although (from what I gathered, at least), the fact that the entire story of the Unwritten can be itself contained as a layer in the hierarchy definitely supports it being 1-A+ and the Leviathan being High 1-A by seeing it as a dream, at least in my opinion, you can correct me if I am wrong.

And then, there is also an infinite recursion of whales that itself transcends the whole story hierarchy, I take? If so, then The Leviathan being a high-level High 1-A is a-okay to me. Though I am a bit uncertain about that part, since it seems to consist of speculation by the characters.

Yes, at the end, the entire story of the Unwritten became just another story.

Yeah, theres an infinite chain/hierarchy of Leviathan's species. Also, the characters who are explaining are really reliable sources since they basically know everything about the Leviathan and can even tap into its powers.

It was even shown that the Leviathan contains not just a chain/hierarchy of his species but also, probably their ecosystem as well.

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/u...itten 042 (2012) (digital-empire)rg1unff3.jpg

"And the world-the world just broke"

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/u...qMCdhzJTx0MUNdyQ-SdmdZUatup--HgiLDk9vEth7Q=s0

"You know how they show acid trips in 60s movies? Well I fell through places that looked like that. There were oceans but they were stacked up like towers"

So High 1-A Leviathan and Utu ( the guy who created Leviathan)

What tier would Enlil be?

He only appeared in the Leviathan's/Mister Pullman's origin story but he's the one who made Leviathan's world/"Spirit world" and the Material World (Though its been stated that The Leviathan has gained dominion and is greater than both worlds)

Will it scale to Endless? I mean Gods are made from the Dreams.

No different series. Unwritten is not a part of DC aside from few cameos and easter egg. In fact Mike Carey asked DC if they can use some character, like Superman, DC declined which was why they have to make the character of the Tinker

"Its made by Vertigo, which is owned by DC and some Vertigo stuff(not even characters) made some really really small cameos so that means Unwritten is part of DC"

No, thats not enough. Tommy Taylor even went to the story of Fables (another vertigo series) but it doesnt mean that Fables is part of The Unwritten.

So, The Sandman/Lucifer series are not in the same verse as The Unwritten?

Thank you for the help. I will lock them again then.

Also, I think we should put a note on the page of the Unwritten characters saying that theyre not from DC.

That is fine. I will unlock them for you.

Sandman31 said:
Also, I think we should put a note on the page of the Unwritten characters saying that theyre not from DC.
^

Back