• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The thread everyone wanted. Deleting SCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET CLICK-BAITED NERDS!​

yeah but no in all seriousness I wanna delete the extended canon stuff. (some of it at least)

Extended canon has no confined canon, and can be messed with by anyone who wishes to. just looking at something like SCP-682's extended canon key and you can already see the problem is there.

a verse without any canon really shouldn't exist here, but since SCP does have a confined canon with it's articles and stuff like Djoricverse and proposals that stuff can stay. stuff like SCP's with extended canon keys where they just grab every single tale that has them included and put it into a single key should not be on the site. GEET EM OUTTA HERE!!!!

"No Extended Canon except this Extended Canon stuff"

That's a very bad and nonsensical take. Canons aren't more impervious to people adding stuff to them. They just have a more defined set of tales and a slightly more strict policy regarding stuff being added to them (and even then not always).

That aside, the idea that "Anyone can add anything on the SCP Wiki" is a bad meme to begin with. Anyone who has tried to contribute to the website can tell you that it's an extremely painful process. ***** gets deleted en-masse on the wiki daily.

Besides, that's just not really how it works on the Wiki. We add non-contradictory stuff on either specific canon keys or general EU keys if the character doesn't have too drastic appearances in each canon. But if random contradictory or way-out-there shit gets added we'll just, ignore it. Or make it a new key if this interpretation has enough grounds to be its own version.

That's a very bad and nonsensical take. Canons aren't more impervious to people adding stuff to them. They just have a more defined set of tales and a slightly more strict policy regarding stuff being added to them (and even then not always).
just going through 682's tales, basically every single one of his tales were written by a different person (though, some were written by some well known faces like kondraki). and, while it would be impressive that 16 different people all made a single canon where 682 was the biggest brick on the foundation's toe. I cant really see that being a defined set of tales, and more just 16 different people making 16 different tales that made up the abomination that 682 is now.
That aside, the idea that "Anyone can add anything on the SCP Wiki" is a bad meme to begin with. Anyone who has tried to contribute to the website can tell you that it's an extremely painful process. ***** gets deleted en-masse on the wiki daily.
If it's written well, you can essentially get anything on that site. yes, it's painful to get tales and articles but that doesn't change a random shmuck who just so happens to have a knack for writing can just walk over and write something for something they didn't create. (impressively, they did get Siren Head and Among us there. my hat off to you troopers who got Among Us on the SCP site)
Besides, that's just not really how it works on the Wiki. We add non-contradictory stuff on either specific canon keys or general EU keys if the character doesn't have too drastic appearances in each canon. But if random contradictory or way-out-there shit gets added we'll just, ignore it. Or make it a new key if this interpretation has enough grounds to be its own version.
Didn't 096 have some planetary feat few months back or so? i recall someone mentioning something like that.

I'm not a fan of the extended canon stuff either, but I agree with Saikou's points more. Just make an actually decent thread that explains why the extended canon keys are bad instead of baiting everyone with a low quality OP.

I agree with the complete removal of verse. It's just fanfiction/OC wiki, that's why we have 19 Tier 0s from it

just going through 682's tales, basically every single one of his tales were written by a different person (though, some were written by some well known faces like kondraki). and, while it would be impressive that 16 different people all made a single canon where 682 was the biggest brick on the foundation's toe. I cant really see that being a defined set of tales, and more just 16 different people making 16 different tales that made up the abomination that 682 is now.

If it's written well, you can essentially get anything on that site. yes, it's painful to get tales and articles but that doesn't change a random shmuck who just so happens to have a knack for writing can just walk over and write something for something they didn't create. (impressively, they did get Siren Head and Among us there. my hat off to you troopers who got Among Us on the SCP site)

Didn't 096 have some planetary feat few months back or so? i recall someone mentioning something like that.
So are comics? Dozens of people write stories about Spider-Man and all have wildly different takes on the character but we still manage to fathom a single profile.

Ok? And? Any piece of fiction was written by somebody regardless of notoriety. It ends up on our wiki regardless of who wrote it. If you're insinuating that a battleboarder could write for SCP, then that makes no difference either way. Who is to say a battleboarder didn't write Maou Gaukin or Destiny? If our standards are "don't allow strong verses" then maybe you might have a point with this.

I don't see how the 096 point is supposed to matter?

The extended canon is just fanfiction. It belongs on the OC wiki. Agree with the removal.
Fanfiction insinuates that it is an unofficial product written by people unaffiliated with the work.

SCP however, is a creative writing project, with full creative commons for anyone writing on it, and anything on the site is considered official SCP writing. So no, it is not fanfiction. Otherwise Dragon Ball GT is fanfiction.

Anyways;

The fact that extended canon really isn't defined around any single group of people (besides the entire community, but that doesn't count) or singular person, but is rather just kind of open for ANYONE (whether it be painful and very long to actually get it through) to get it into the extended canon makes it literally by definition fanfiction;
"fiction written by a fan of, and featuring characters from, a particular TV series, movie, etc."
Extended canon is literally fans of someone else's article writing about it into their own personal headcanon, and it's turned into a sort of composite on this site. if we shouldn't trash extended canon then we should splice some of the stuff into different groups (sort of what the Mario profile is iirc doing) (if they have that many). how extended canon is treated rn is kinda bad.

That doesn't matter. A lot of people working on the same stuff doesn't make it not a thing anymore. And besides this is only a thing because of how 682 is. The idea that it will adapt to everything thrown at it. So it having a lot of resistances isn't exactly contradictory in any way. It's just part of the lore of the character. Any other character getting such silly amount of things added to them would quickly be proven to be generally inconsistent with other portrayals and thus removed. It's just that regardless how you feel about it, 682's resistances and adaptations aren't inherently contradictory.

Yeah. If it's written well. Random Vs Debating shit doesn't tend to last very long. The fact that "anyone can write for the Wiki" really doesn't matter. Like I said, blatantly contradictory things will be ignored from the main key. A random dude deciding to make, idk, 173 in base be a multiverse buster won't entirely change the entire lore of the character and every depiction of it. At best, it get its own key. At worst, it gets ignored for being dumb.

Do you see it on our file? I sure don't. Either the feat was not really useable or it was deemed inconsistent. I don't see how this helps your point.

Either way I don't see any actual good reasons for the removal of EU. I only see people throwing random buzzwords like "FANFIC" and "OC" without any actual point behind them. "People can add things to a character without the original author's consent" is a thing that can happen in bigger and longer "official" franchises regardless. These additions being "officially" published don't make them a lot more valid than people in a collaborative writing site just, collaborating.

A fanfiction about an official piece of media is forbidden because there is absolutely no control over what can be written about it, and the fact that it breaks the boundaries of what the fiction is really meant to be. SCP was made from the ground up to be a collaborative fiction writing site. People adding their own lore and interpretations in is the entire point of the website. It's not some unlawful third party adding shit. It's as valid as the original piece. And it's as valid as some officially publicized sequel botching the original storyline of a media. And unlike fanfictions, there is actually control. There is a very clear definition of what is part of the website and what isn't.

Anyways;

The fact that extended canon really isn't defined around any single group of people (besides the entire community, but that doesn't count) or singular person, but is rather just kind of open for ANYONE (whether it be painful and very long to actually get it through) to get it into the extended canon makes it literally by definition fanfiction;
"fiction written by a fan of, and featuring characters from, a particular TV series, movie, etc."
Extended canon is literally fans of someone else's article writing about it into their own personal headcanon, and it's turned into a sort of composite on this site. if we shouldn't trash extended canon then we should splice some of the stuff into different groups (sort of what the Mario profile is iirc doing) (if they have that many). how extended canon is treated rn is kinda bad.
You're purposely making this more needlessly complicated than it actually is. Anyone writing on the SCP wiki is by definition an SCP author because of creative commons. By your logic, no one who isn't Toriyama is allowed to write for Dragon Ball without it being called fanfiction. And I addressed the part of anyone writing for SCP already. Anyone can write for SCP as much as anyone can write an entire novel and publish it.

Also, with the way SCP exists now, there really isn't such a thing as article canon anymore. Read SCP-6500 and tell me how we can make an article canon version of this.

The community doesn't count as defining what counts as canon or not

Says who? That's acting like any other franchise isn't controlled by a vague group of people. Sure, it's handled differently from "normal" franchises. But shit being different isn't ground for "wah wah delete".

Definition of Fanfiction

That's a stupid definition of fanfiction for our purposes. Taken at face value, anyone who enjoys their own work is a fan of their own work. And if you want to split fans and creators by "who gets to actually work on the official fiction", then anyone working on the SCP Wiki is no longer just a fan but also a contributor.

SCP Content is just fans making fanfics of other people's work

Again this is needlessly putting on a pedestal original articles as being the "true" fiction and everything else being "fanfiction". Which is a dumb distinction that absolutely doesn't exist on the SCP Wiki. People put their stuff on the Wiki knowing that it's now part of a greater universe and that people will write their own follow-ups to it. That is, again the entire point of the website. These things were specifically designed to be expanded upon by others. There is absolutely no difference between the original SCP-682 article, and some random tale featuring SCP-682. Both are as official canons as each other. It's just that for wiki purposes we give AC 682 its own key so we can rate the "original" canon of the article and better scale to the various versions.

Once again, people are just throwing buzzwords to make the inclusion of the verse look scary and bad. SCP is not "fanfiction" by any sensical definition of the word for our purposes. And even if you would define it as fanfiction, it is obviously a far cry from what the Wiki defines as fanfiction and thus, automatically treating it as undesirable to have is dumb. And if you actually looked close enough and tried to argue, you'd see that no, SCP does not match the reasons why fanfics are banned. The additions to its canon are controlled enough, and it was designed from the ground up for these additions.

Extended canon should stay on the wiki in the way it is now. This distinction was created because the scp wiki says that everyone can draw their own lines for canon, so we try to draw the clearest ones possible. Article canon is as strict as is reasonable, extended canon is as loose as is reasonable, and specific keys for notably distinct canons/interpretations if they exist.

Hard disagree with this notion. If we delete this, we need to delete literally most large franchises and their files/scaling/cosmology, etc. Comics, TV shows, movies, MCU, star wars, GoT, dragon ball and Naruto, Fate, etc, etc. There hundreds of verses that will get removed in that case.

So, no, it's not "fanfiction". If you consider this fanfic, then consider every large franchise fanfic and delete them.

Hard disagree with this notion. If we delete this, we need to delete literally most large franchises and their files/scaling/cosmology, etc. Comics, TV shows, movies, MCU, star wars, GoT, dragon ball and Naruto, Fate, etc, etc. There hundreds of verses that will get removed in that case.

So, no, it's not "fanfiction". If you consider this fanfic, then consider every large franchise fanfic and delete them.
And exactly how many fanfics of said verses are indexed here?

Dragon Ball GT, Star Wars EU, every single alt universe version of comics characters, every published work from Lovecraft's friends and not him, Game of Thrones the television show and House of the Dragon, Shadow of Mordor, EverymanHYBRID, etc.

I can keep going.

Dragon Ball GT, Star Wars EU, every single alt universe version of comics characters, every published work from Lovecraft's friends and not him, Game of Thrones the television show and House of the Dragon, Shadow of Mordor, EverymanHYBRID, etc.

I can keep going.
technically Star Wars EU isn't a fan fic it's just shit Dinsey said was non-canon like the dumbasses they are lol

technically Star Wars EU isn't a fan fic it's just shit Dinsey said was non-canon like the dumbasses they are lol
.....so technically fanfic now 🦍

By these standards? Literally all of comic characters. Basically any Spidey comic that isn't written by Stan Lee and Dikto isn't canon and just fanfic. Same with Superman and Siegel/Shuster. And batman with Bob Kane and Bill Finger

Bottom line is, no, you cannot remove SCP EC on the grounds that it is "fanfiction" or "community written". There is a defined system of what is considered whose canon on the site, and there are strict standards that must be followed in order to write material for them. Authors curate what works fit under their narratives and there is an ecosystem made up of readers and authors that is self-sustaining.

The only thing you could even remotely fault SCP for is inconsistency, which is a problem inherent of any large enough verse, so standards for that apply here. In fact, there is an in-canon reason for inconsistency, multiple in fact, and if you actually took the time to read and understand what the actual **** is going on in SCP you'd know that too.

If that is all, I don't think this thread should be kept open.

GET CLICK-BAITED NERDS!​

yeah but no in all seriousness I wanna delete the extended canon stuff. (some of it at least)

Extended canon has no confined canon, and can be messed with by anyone who wishes to. just looking at something like SCP-682's extended canon key and you can already see the problem is there.

a verse without any canon really shouldn't exist here, but since SCP does have a confined canon with it's articles and stuff like Djoricverse and proposals that stuff can stay. stuff like SCP's with extended canon keys where they just grab every single tale that has them included and put it into a single key should not be on the site. GEET EM OUTTA HERE!!!!

This is one of those arguments (and this goes for anything involving "delete scp") that looks totally kosher on the surface, but completely falls apart upon closer inspection.

Having multiples writers involved with the same characters does not render the writing fan fiction (comic books). Democratizing a writing process does not render a work of writing fanfiction (multiple poetic epics, multiple religious texts). Writing works based in previously established mythological universes is not automatically fan fiction (cthulhu mythos, dante's inferno, paradise lost). A fan getting involved with writing in a previously established fictional universe is not fanfiction (getting hired to work for comic, or videogame company you were previously a fan of).

If you're worried about intentional wank, challenge the pages, with evidence, on a case by case basis. SCP is just a lot of good writing, and a lot of bad writing, about cosmic horrors and sci-fi bs. Sometimes that spits out a tier 0. Have a bunch of people writing for it at once, and it spits out a lot of tier 0's...especially when giant, aleph dimensional constructs are fun for writers in those genres to think about.

Last edited:
images_-_2022-07-21T102653.473.jpeg

It means the Fumo is more powerful and better written than the average person writing for the Wiki. Submit to the Fumo.

I mean it's just a floating bit of strange matter, there isn't a whole lot to elaborate on to give it silly tiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back