• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
or it's wank to be frank,Marvel scaling on this website is quite confusing at least to me.

Anything involving 5-B Thing is filled with context or he was amped in some way.You haven't even posted any scans from what I see that shows The Thing being consistently portrayed as 5-B character.

I answered about every single feat that the OP suggested don't scale. They are either blatant feats that depict Thing as comparable / superior to the person that did a fit, and none of them are as context heavy as Zensum implied.

Peter "Quicksilver" Maximoff said:
It might do good to make Green Hulk variable. He should at least be around the level of Red She-Hulk / She-Hulk and 4-B for when he's angry. That would make scaling to people like Namor significantly easier.

Okay, with Umbra the character tanks the vortex. Thing hurts him, so the scaling is there. With Basilisk the character literally absorbs the energy that makes the feat. With Blastaar we see Thing punching him across a building. With Ego I saw no argument really.

The counter-arguments have mainly been "But what about this [Wall level feat], [Outlier fight with an unrelated character]".

Matthew Schroeder said:
Okay, with Umbra the character tanks the vortex. Thing hurts him, so the scaling is there. With Basilisk the character literally absorbs the energy that makes the feat. With Blastaar we see Thing punching him across a building. With Ego I saw no argument really.
The counter-arguments have mainly been "But what about this [Wall level feat], [Outlier fight with an unrelated character]".
Again, Umbra and Jaggur don't come out of the vortex, it teleports and warps them into something else due to their armour absorbing solar energy. The calc is also wrong as it assumes the planet is earth size when the comic details it as the tiny planetoid of WW. The Ego calc is even more incorrect as I posted in OP. Basilik's energy was a byproduct of stones fusing in him under the earths crust freeing him and causng the chain reaction. His energy and feats are all sub city level and barley hurt spiderman at all. Thing damaging him is barley a feat as he couldnt even tank volcano heat.

Matthew Schroeder said:
I answered about every single feat that the OP suggested don't scale. They are either blatant feats that depict Thing as comparable / superior to the person that did a fit, and none of them are as context heavy as Zensum implied.
All of these are context heavy lol which is why Thing scales to none of them. Some even have glaring errors in the calcs. I find it hard that you can read these some 600+ issues and think thing is anywhere near 5B.

The Thing scales to more Tier 6 - 5 feats than numerous characters in that tier, never mind the higher scaling you could potentially do. I have already explained Umbra, he didn't get teleported, and Basilisk scales to the stones as he has their energy.

Sigurd Snake in The Eye said:
And he countered literally every single one of your points thus far.I just think he has the better argument as of now,at least to me.
Matthew also countered him back tho, from my PoV they are neck by neck

Matthew Schroeder said:
The Thing scales to more Tier 6 - 5 feats than numerous characters in that tier, never mind the higher scaling you could potentially do. I have already explained Umbra, he didn't get teleported, and Basilisk scales to the stones as he has their energy.
"He" it's 2 beings. Star-Tap siphon creates a portal galaxies away on WW that pulls in Umbra and Jaagur to Earth's solar system while mergeing their bodies into one. To humor me, if thing punching scales to his chain reaction feat why does a sub city explosion kill Basilisk?

I agree with Matthew about that The Thing should scale from the Grey Hulk. The handbook ratings clearly place him higher, and, if I remember correctly, he also has an own calculated 5-B durability feat to scale from.

That said, the rocky Thing was stronger than the regular Thing, yes, but the She-Thing was not.

Antvasima said:
I agree with Matthew about that The Thing should scale from the Grey Hulk. The handbook ratings clearly place him higher, and, if I remember correctly, he also has an own calculated 5-B durability feat to scale from.
That said, the rocky Thing was stronger than the regular Thing, yes, but the She-Thing was not.
The comics show different. Which durability feat? We went over that earlier She-Thing beat a dying grey hulk.

There was a Narutoforums calculation of a durability feat that The Thing scales to, if I do not misremember.

Now that you remind me, I recall that the Grey Hulk was dying at the time, yes.

It was different calculation, but my memories are vague.

In any case, rocky Thing outclassed the Grey Hulk in terms of raw power, and the handbooks stated that regular Thing was considerably stronger than a calm Grey Hulk, which was his state during the meteorite feat. It also doesn't make much sense for The Thing to be so enormously weaker considering his consistent portrayal as being able to be in the losing side of fights with 4-B level characters, but still surviving the encounters.

Thing didnt outclass him, they were more or less even while thing was amped. Grey Hulk has beaten base thing with little effort many times before. Losing to someone doesnt scale them. He has lost to many sub tier 5-6 level charcters too.

The Grey Hulk has only fought the Thing once that I recall, and he had to cheat a lot in order to stand a chance. It was stated outright that he was considerably weaker than the rocky Thing.

In any case, I would much prefer to go by the handbooks and the Thing's consistent portrayal as weaker but not enormously weaker than the 4-B powerhouses.

We also need an in-between rating for our Marvel characters, or it severely messes up our scaling system. We cannot have a gap between 6-C and 4-B level characters.

Basically, Marvel is ridiculously inconsistent, but we still need some form of approximated character tier levels, and The Thing, Colossus, etcetera are of an intermediate scale.

They have fought a few times. Your recalling amped thing vs fixit one of the weaker/but smarter grey hulks who just outmanevered and beat him. We are talking base thing here.

When has the Grey Hulk fought The Thing otherwise? The former was not active for a very long time.

Here one instance X X I'Il find more in a bit. There have been several grey hulks who vary in power. Fixit loses to amped hulk because he suffers from from daytime weakness. He woulda beat amped thing handily as he was giving a good fight in that state

That was during the Straczynski Hulk story directly preceding Planet Hulk. The Hulk may have been grey, due to having a gamma bomb blow up in his face and temporarily mutating him, but he was not the much weaker Joe Fixit incarnation.

Anyway, again, we are not going to get rid of our 5-B tiers for the Marvel characters, as it would create far too much of a gap in the scaling. The Grey Hulk is officially at a symbolic comparative class 70 when calm, and regular Thing at class 85.

The point is that we can only use the Joe Fixit feats to scale from, and even then we have to go by his consistent portrayal as far weaker than other Marvel powerhouses.

Still, several of our Marvel profile do need to be reworked. For example, some of the cosmic entities, the speed levels, and Hulkbuster and Thorbuster Iron Man should probably be upgraded to 4-B, but what you suggest would worsen the scaling, not improve it.

Antvasima said:
The point is that we can only use the Joe Fixit feats to scale from, and even then we have to go by his consistent portrayal.
Fixit Grey Hulk is potrayed superior to Thing tho is what i'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back