• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just happened to notice this, Thing's 5-B rating essentially comes from "Physically stronger than the Grey Hulk". However when looking at the actual feat this is not exactly the case. Feat Here in #320 we see Thing not at base as he is clearly amped by cosmic rays and is fighting a Joe Fixit grey hulk. Also we can see while amped he says that he wouldn't have been able to get through some metal debris quickly without the power up.

The only other instance of base Thing vs Hulk is here where he fights a grey she-hulk who is nerfed and dying from poisoning to the point they thought she was already dead but was still having trouble.

Also closer examination of the Umbra feat in #297-298, it shows the vortex powered by red solar energy which destroyed the warworld planetoid was a wormhole that fused Jaggur and Umbra as a by-product and teleported them. Even though Thing is physically superior, scaling him to Umbras higher energy absorption capcity doesnt make much sense.

Edit*

Decidied to look at the Basiliks feat and I don't believe it is at all scalable to The Thing's AP. Like the calc said, Basiliks could potentially cause these life wiping events, however it was done indirectly rather than with AP. TnO 18-19 and Team Up 47, we see the cataclysm events are a response caused by the chain reaction rising of volcanoes. And the rising of volcanoes is caused by this feat from Omega and Alpha stones merging in him under the earth surface after he was freed from encasement. Thus triggering the chai of the other volcanoes spawning in random places like NY. Essentially scaling to his AP wouldn't make sense because he wasn't explicitly causing this by his strength at all. Further backed but the fact he doesn't have the power to stop them and he couldnt tank this explosion. Physically his strength is no where near the yield of his chain reaction feat as he has trouble with Spiderman X X , while his energy projection is repeatedly tanked by SpidermaX X X

Edit2*

Even though I can't see the calc I assume Ebon Seeker is being treated as a real black hole and is getting scaled to thing from their encounter here. However the problem with this scaling is, Ebon was weakening due to negative force leaving his body and even the narration says Ebon wasn't hurt at all and was basically pushed to his target which he didn't mind X X. Also Thing was only able to hit him as he is explicitly made out of physical substance . Ebon was called a mini black hole and has shown some properties of one, they later find out he's more like a sentient pieces of negative zone. He doesn't completely act like a BH considering the F4 can get near/touch him without dying and his best intetional feats come from pulling up a city block and pulling up a portion of ocean floor. His planet destroying feats are passive and happen over time as the negative energy and black streamers have to leave his body gradually covering the planet to destroy it however it kills him in the process as all his energy is expended. X X X.

The thing doesn't really scale to that Blastaar feat. He just hits him once then gets BFRd X X. Even so it would be an outlier anyways since the thing was struggling with far less in the same comic. Seems to be issue with Blastasr calc too because i'm pretty sure treating it as if Blastaar was emitting all the heat isn't how it works as Blastaar isn't the one heating everything to a billion degrees. And we know tanking heat =/= tanking blunt force.

Edit 3*

Ego - EM fails to take into account Ben's surface area in relation to the planet, and also doesn't use Ego's canon diameter of 6664 km. http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Beam/Calculator.html Using this calculator and assuming a surface gravity of 1g, Ego would have a GBE of 3.199e31 J and a surface area of 1.395e14 m^2. Giving Ben a surface area about double that of a regular person (so about 2 m^2), this would mean Ben is taking just 1.443e-14x the total energy of the blast, or about 4.58e17 J, a 7-A feat. If we decide to use EM's figure for the energy of Ego exploding anyways for some reason, then this would come out to 1.21e20 J, a 6-C level feat. Besides this, Ego just crumples around thing while hes in the brain cavity so he doesnt take the full brunt.

Summary: As seen, he needs to be amped to fight on Fixit's level, one of the weaker grey hulks which is weaker than green hulk by a non-descript amount, and at base he has trouble with heavily nerfed she-hulk and is shown consistently inferior to hulk strength wise. Also he is not comparbale to Umbra's energy absorption capabilties or Basiliks chain reacton feats. So this rating should be changed.

New AP Justification: Since thing has proven to be somewhat comparable to Namor X X X in AvX. They fought but Thing couldnt down him. He can scale from Namor who was able to support the weight of a pillar that holds up the Utopia Island and New Atlantis, which extends from below at the bottom of the ocea, for a brief period of time. This feat should yield something around the range of at least high 6-C.

Agree

RotofBots

Blitzedaken

Qawsedf234

ZERO7772

ALRF

GilgaArcuied

KuuIchigo

StrongClick

Sigurd Snake in The Eye

Disagree

Matt

Cropfist

support. he always is treated as the underdog in the fight and marvel comics can be inconsistent.

this will affect other characters scaled to him.

Yea this would probably move him down to low end High 6A*edit mb. Gonna look at the other feat though in a bit.

Based on scaling to Basiliks calc on the AP part of his profile. Yea would affect anyone scaled to him.

The same aplies to Doom?

Yea, added a new justification to the OP after checking out all the feats

╬Ü╬ƒ╬£╬Ö╬× said:
The Thing has battled the Red Hulk though... Look at link I posted before...
I've looked at the thread it's an outlier. This isn't General Ross as RH and he was weakened and not fighting thing seriously. Thing has been portrayed consistently weaker than grey hulk whose weaker than green...etc

There's been more massive downgrades before. Miku was like 3-A and got nerfed to 10-B. If nothing supports the rating in context then nothing supports the rating.

He also beat Umbra who was unharmed by this: https://forums.hero-academia.com/xfa-blog-entry/fantastic-four-bit-feats-the-third.19951/

He also pushed back the Ebon Seeker who's calculated KE is anything from Low 5-B to 5-A

https://forums.hero-academia.com/xf...bit-feats-the-third-part-2-final-tally.19953/

He also survived this explosion alongside Ego the Living Planet, although I admit he didn't endure all of it. https://forums.hero-academia.com/xf...noffs-misc-marvel-bit-feats-the-second.25173/

He also beat Basilisk who could shift the Earth's axis of rotation with his power. https://forums.hero-academia.com/xfa-blog-entry/fantastic-four-bit-feats-finale-for-now.33907/

He also defeated Blastaar in the same storyline in which Blastaar survived being inside the Big Bang, and tanked near-planetary levels of energy every second.

Umbra's durability: 53.58800353 zettatons

Ebon Seeker's KE: 51.42772034 exatons to 309.5087709 yottatons

Ego's death: 2.022401476 yottatons

Basilisk's power: 6.102818413 exatons

Blastaar's minimum durability: 38.62213193 exatons/second

@Gar1 edit*

Umbra feat explained in OP

Seeker feat explained in OP

Ego feat was a former justfication on the profile but was removed previously

Basilisks feat explained in OP

Blastaar feat explained in OP

Peter "Quicksilver" Maximoff said:
Namor shouldn't have been soley compared to thing in tje first place.
I agreee, what do you suggest for Namor I think that profile needs some fleshing out tbh

I agreee, what do you suggest for Namor I think that profile needs some fleshing out tbh

Imma create a respect thread for him to show why he's why above were he currently sits

Ah I see we could probably make a CRT for him after we get a solid baseline for Thing.

He should stay 5-B. He has too many feats above Tier High 6-C to ignore.

The Thing also fights characters who are new Thor level a lot. He's always going up against people above his weight class. I don't se how either Basilisk, Umbra, Blastar or Ebon Seeker are in anyway not legit.

Matthew Schroeder said:
He should stay 5-B. He has too many feats above Tier High 6-C to ignore.
The Thing also fights characters who are new Thor level a lot. He's always going up against people above his weight class. I don't se how either Basilisk, Umbra, Blastar or Ebon Seeker are in anyway not legit.
The problem is when he's fighting those characters he either amped or gets beaten easily like with Blastaar, also he has his myriad of sub 5B showings. Those feats mainly aren't legit because they are either chain reaction feats with their actual power being far lower (Basilks, Seeker) or with the Umbra feat the things physicals were being scaled to a suits solar absorption capabilties when his physicals showings were weaker than Things.

Neither Basilisk or Seeker are exactly chain-reaction. The Seeker is legit just him existing. The fact that Umbra still tanked that Vortex yet lost to Thing makes it scalable. Most of the points in your OP amount to "Yes, but this character didn't demonstrate 5-B feats in the issue" while ignoring the very Tier 5 feat they perform in it.

It's like arguing against Dragon Ball ratings by counting every time they don't planet-bust with a punch in a fight as a low-end. It's silly.

Nevermind that Human Toch has about a dozen feats ranging from Island to Continent level even when not going Nova. Or Iron Man who's rarely if ever portrayed as physically superior to The Thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back